Pre-Trip WE HAVE TO GO BACK! (April 2016)

Wow.

Well, this is quite a surprise!

We JUST got back from Disney on 9/26!! I hadn't been in ten years, and honestly didn't expect to be back for quite some time, but as luck would have it, it looks like we are going to be back in just SIX SHORT MONTHS!! I'm seriously still kind of in shock!

So here is a bit of back story to explain..My co worker has told me that her and her significant other are going to start trying for a baby...right now. I'm totally cool with this except that we normally vacation in September, and really any way it plays out if she were to be successful in the new few months, it would mean no vacation or any time off for me for up to 3 months. We always go to the beach, and so my brain started racking. We could go in early spring, but no, too cold, and basically it just went like that and me calculating out how many months from each month and blah blah. It got overwhelming. I knew that no matter what, I'd be pretty safe in April or May but it's not warm enough for the beach. Disney briefly came to mind but I thought "no way will i be able to talk my husband into going back this soon!" So all day today I looked up prices with the help of my mom (remember, she planned out entire vacation!) and I came home in hopes of trying to convince my husband that I think this is the best thing to do in regards to the uncertainty of my coworker being out next year. It didn't take much convincing! He was surprised that we could stay for as cheap as we could and that was it! We decided we are going to do it! I am giddy like a school girl!

I LOVE my beach trips, and the fact that I'm so excited about this is a bit surprising! So that's that! This is SUPER early in the planning process (and that step is OMG i'm still in shock!) and I know all of almost NOTHING right now except that we will be staying in a Value this time around since we are footing the bill. LOL

Anyway, that's all I've got right now. I honestly can't believe it! Stick around!

Last edited:

pajammies

That's funny, (in a great way) I read your trip report and noticed that you said you just weren't sure if Disney was gonna be your thing (am I remembering that right, that was you right?)
That's awesome! I love Disney and got hooked after we took are daughter there for the first time when she was 6. I had gone when I was 8 and 10 but don't really remember it, lol.
It's easy to want to go back!
You will be there during the Flower and Garden festival, which is very cool, I think.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
As pajammies (above) mentioned, if you're there during Flower and Garden Festival, that would be great. I try to go to WDW once a year, and I always pick that time to visit. EPCOT is gorgeous with all the flowers, creatively designed vegetation, and attractive topiaries, many of which are in the shape of Disney characters. They have also introduced some tasty food booths, with a variety of small plate items, around World Showcase during that time. I think you would enjoy late spring for a visit. Lastly, it can also get very hot in May, so I always go to the water parks as well.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
That's funny, (in a great way) I read your trip report and noticed that you said you just weren't sure if Disney was gonna be your thing (am I remembering that right, that was you right?)
That's awesome! I love Disney and got hooked after we took are daughter there for the first time when she was 6. I had gone when I was 8 and 10 but don't really remember it, lol.
It's easy to want to go back!
You will be there during the Flower and Garden festival, which is very cool, I think.

YEP! That was me! Totally unsure that Disney would be something I'd want to return to, but it turns out, I'm hooked! We've been back for a few weeks now, and I've been realizing how much I miss it, and how much fun I had. It sounds so strange, but it took a few weeks to sink in. Yesterday, I was SO EXCITED with the prospect of going back again (and so soon!). I never ever expected this.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
As pajammies (above) mentioned, if you're there during Flower and Garden Festival, that would be great. I try to go to WDW once a year, and I always pick that time to visit. EPCOT is gorgeous with all the flowers, creatively designed vegetation, and attractive topiaries, many of which are in the shape of Disney characters. They have also introduced some tasty food booths, with a variety of small plate items, around World Showcase during that time. I think you would enjoy late spring for a visit. Lastly, it can also get very hot in May, so I always go to the water parks as well.
It sounds beautiful! I've never been in the Spring (only September! for 4 trips) so I have no idea what to expect! I'm glad it will still be hot, because I love swimming!

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Last night I dreamed of Disney. I guess because I was thinking about it so much yesterday! Still kind of in shock that we are going back!
One thing that kind of stresses me out is that we are already SO close to ADR's! I have Never planned a Disney trip. On our past trip, my mom (who LOVES the planning aspect) did everything. I mean everything. We just jumped in the car and drove there and did whatever the plan was when we got there. So I know I'm in for a lot of research and I feel like I am losing time to do it! I need to decide which days to go to which parks first. I guess you look at how busy they are projected to be? I'd love to make MK a first day tradition because it really is my favorite park! After that will be ADR's. Based on Harper's behavior in the morning, I don't know that morning ADR's are best! By the time we got up, on the buses, and to the parks, she was already tired and NOT In the mood to sit still! I did however, love some of the breakfast buffet's. So maybe just one or two?

I was also thinking about buying gift cards, instead of saving cash, but hubby thinks it'd be too much trouble to carry around a bunch of gift cards. I suggested only carrying one a day? Thoughts on this?

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Yay! Super excited for you. I knew when I first read that you like Disney, but not a huge fan, that you would give in and become a DisneyFreak like the rest of us once you were there.

I have a feeling my mom knew it would happen too! LOL.
They are going the same week in April, but are staying elsewhere. So it's not a combined trip, but we will get to plan somewhat together and may see each other occasionally!

sheriffwoody

I was also thinking about buying gift cards, instead of saving cash, but hubby thinks it'd be too much trouble to carry around a bunch of gift cards. I suggested only carrying one a day? Thoughts on this?

I saved cash and then when Kroger ran the 4x the fuel points on giftcard purchases, we would buy a couple of $100 giftcards. I think we ended up with 4 $100 cards and another one that had $20 on it from a previous trip. We used all of that just on souvenirs and quick service/snacks :facepalm: We used our credit cards for table service. I usually only carried one gift card at a time, and when that one got low, I'd grab the next one. I have a phone case with a pocket, so I used that and didn't even carry a bag.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
I saved cash and then when Kroger ran the 4x the fuel points on giftcard purchases, we would buy a couple of $100 giftcards. I think we ended up with 4 $100 cards and another one that had $20 on it from a previous trip. We used all of that just on souvenirs and quick service/snacks :facepalm: We used our credit cards for table service. I usually only carried one gift card at a time, and when that one got low, I'd grab the next one. I have a phone case with a pocket, so I used that and didn't even carry a bag.

Do you have to keep track of the balances on these like Visa gift cards? or you can just swipe and it'll take off what's left? That's my only worry. I don't want to have to know exactly how much is on them at all times.

We saved a bunch of cash for our last trip but then had an emergency and had to take money from our trip fund. I like the gift cards because we can't "borrow" from it.

sheriffwoody

Do you have to keep track of the balances on these like Visa gift cards? or you can just swipe and it'll take off what's left? That's my only worry. I don't want to have to know exactly how much is on them at all times.

We saved a bunch of cash for our last trip but then had an emergency and had to take money from our trip fund. I like the gift cards because we can't "borrow" from it.
Each time you use it, the new balance is on the receipt, so you'll always know how much is left. And if you finish one off, they'll just tell you how much you have left to pay. It's super simple! Maybe you could save half cash, half cards? That way if something really important comes up, you have a little cash you can use, but you won't use ALL your trip money. It's important to have some money set aside for emergencies.

ScarletBegonias

Original Poster
Each time you use it, the new balance is on the receipt, so you'll always know how much is left. And if you finish one off, they'll just tell you how much you have left to pay. It's super simple! Maybe you could save half cash, half cards? That way if something really important comes up, you have a little cash you can use, but you won't use ALL your trip money. It's important to have some money set aside for emergencies.

Okay, this is great! I'm glad to know it's simple! I've used a VISA gift card before and they had to know exactly how much was on it to process it! So strange!

CtDisneyGuy33

Great news! I wonder how many people end up making a "quick" retrip to Disney right after they return from a previous one? Everytime I get home from a trip, I'm already planning the next! I'm excited to see the next trip report already!!

And I like the Gift Cards as well - don't have to carry around $$ and change and whatever else - but still prevents the "unlimited" spending Magic Bands allow for... weird I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom