Horizons

Corylancaster

Original Poster
The Disney parks blog has been posting a lot about horizons over the last week or two (at least it seems that way to me). That has got me thinking, could they be doing this because something is going on behind the scenes that hasn't been announced to try to bring this back? Or am I just wishful thinking and they are really just feeling nostalgic?

The Empress Lilly

Just remember, if Horizons still existed there'd be Aladdin on a magic carpet overlooking the orange-scented desert farm, Ariel fIoating around the sea castle, and Stitch covering the space station in toilet paper.

Horizons premature demise at least preserved the dignity of the one attraction that managed the impossible in topping Pirates and the Mansion.

RSoxNo1

I too have noticed the Horizons stuff recently on the Parks Blog. Two articles ago I threw the idea out there of bringing it back with the name "Century 3". I'm not holding my breath, but I'll forgive them for Frozen Ever After if they do it.

Edit: Looks like my comment didn't make the cut.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Just print up a quarter million t-shirts, call them limited edition, sell for 40 dollars, kick old ladies dog on way to bank.
Not sure if you're referencing this, but they did this two years ago for Horizons' 30th anniversary. The t-shirts even came in three different options for back design mirroring the ride's three different options for endings.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
To address the point brought up in this thread, it's just wishful thinking. Disney knows a HUGE part of their market comes from nostalgia (grown ups loving Disney since they were kids) and they definitely know how to play into the nostalgia. As much as Horizons should come back, it probably won't. It won't be built in its original location because Mission: Space is still decently popular and still has sponsorship-- something Horizons lost after 10 years of operation. It probably won't be crammed in between The Land and The Seas either as it really is a huge undertaking to build an entire ride building, theme it, and landscape it.

Nick Pappagiorgio

As much as Horizons should come back, it probably won't. It won't be built in its original location because Mission: Space is still decently popular and still has sponsorship-- something Horizons lost after 10 years of operation.

Do we know anything about the status of the sponsorship? Obviously it is still intact, but if it was a 10 year deal it would have been up in '13. Is it just year by year, or was there an extension? I only ask because of HPs recent restructuring.

Last edited:

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Do we know anything about the status of the sponsorship. Obviously it is still intact, but if it was a 10 year deal it would have been up in '13. Is it just year by year, or was there an extension? I only ask because of HPs recent restructuring.
I had been wondering that as well two years ago. HP is definitely still sponsoring M:S as the logos and post-show animation are still presenet and visible. As for the contract, I have no idea.

articos

The Disney parks blog has been posting a lot about horizons over the last week or two (at least it seems that way to me). That has got me thinking, could they be doing this because something is going on behind the scenes that hasn't been announced to try to bring this back? Or am I just wishful thinking and they are really just feeling nostalgic?
Sadly, just marketing being nostalgic. They tend to do that around the beginning of October.

Goofyernmost

Just remember, if Horizons still existed there'd be Aladdin on a magic carpet overlooking the orange-scented desert farm, Ariel fIoating around the sea castle, and Stitch covering the space station in toilet paper.

Horizons premature demise at least preserved the dignity of the one attraction that managed the impossible in topping Pirates and the Mansion.
I guess you liked it. I thought it was alright, but, tops Pirates and the Mansion. Not even close. In my opinion there were only three that came closer... Journey into Imagination, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I guess you liked it. I thought it was alright, but, tops Pirates and the Mansion. Not even close. In my opinion there were only three that came closer... Journey into Imagination, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth.
Opinions are fun.
Horizons was the best dark ride ever made. JII is a close second, but Horizons was tops.
Disney just doesn't have the commitment to make the large, sweeping predictions that a ride like Horizons would have needed to stay futuristic.
Though really, aside from hologram Tupac and video conferencing, there isn't a lot from Horizons that still isn't futuristic. The clothes were pretty outdated, but today they'd just be hipster retro-fabulous.

Clamman73

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom