Annual Pass prices raised (again)

Stevek

Raising AP rates will not quell sales or renewals of APs as long as monthly payments are offered. If I'm on a Premium pass monthly payment plan, moving to Signature is an extra $10 or something per month. Signature plus is like $15-$20 extra a month. Either one is perfectly palatable if I'm already comfortable with my regular $50-$60/month payment.

Disneyland isn't interested in reducing AP sales, they just want to take advantage of what APs are willing to pay. Until you see monthly payment plans taken away, TDA isn't trying to lower AP numbers.

They will be successful in getting a lot of APs out of the late December equation. I can't imagine many people are willing to pay $200 for those two weeks unless they have some really compelling reason, especially when the pass is identical in every other respect.
But, $20/month x 4 family members may be harder to digest for some folks. But as you said, monthly payments going away is the only thing that will reduce the AP population.

dweezil78

I was there this past Saturday, and what MiceChat said is true.

I got to the parks around 3, and crowds were fine, at least at Disneyland. The lines to get into California Adventure were alarmingly long, however. Just a few hours later when nighttime hit at Disneyland, everyone was walking shoulder-to-shoulder. I couldn't take it anymore, so I left.

Everyone is failing to mention that Disneyland played host to the annual 'Gay Days' on Saturday and as a result was insanely busy as the Southern California (and beyond) gay community came out in droves to take part in the festivities. So yeah, super packed, but it wasn't just another day in the park! :)

Californian Elitist

Everyone is failing to mention that Disneyland played host to the annual 'Gay Days' on Saturday and as a result was insanely busy as the Southern California (and beyond) gay community came out in droves to take part in the festivities. So yeah, super packed, but it wasn't just another day in the park! :)

I've been to Disneyland on multiple Gay Days, and Saturday was the most crowded I'd ever seen. Not every Gay Day weekend is packed to the gills.

Travel Junkie

Raising AP rates will not quell sales or renewals of APs as long as monthly payments are offered. If I'm on a Premium pass monthly payment plan, moving to Signature is an extra $10 or something per month. Signature plus is like $15-$20 extra a month. Either one is perfectly palatable if I'm already comfortable with my regular $50-$60/month payment.

Disneyland isn't interested in reducing AP sales, they just want to take advantage of what APs are willing to pay. Until you see monthly payment plans taken away, TDA isn't trying to lower AP numbers.

They will be successful in getting a lot of APs out of the late December equation. I can't imagine many people are willing to pay $200 for those two weeks unless they have some really compelling reason, especially when the pass is identical in every other respect.

I don’t understand the Disney hates AP’s and are trying to get rid of them line a lot of people are spreading. Disney is smart enough to know that getting rid of monthly payments would thin the numbers down significantly. In an ideal world for them Disney would be maxed out on all of their AP’s, not just the So Cal one. This is all about more money and altering visiting patterns.

TP2000

But on the previous Saturday 9/26 they went to a phased closure and put up the big digital signs on surrounding surface streets that said "Disneyland Is Closed - California Adventure Available". They didn't do that on Saturday 10/5, it was just really, really busy and set a new October one-day attendance record. It appears that all the autumn Saturday's, now that Deluxes are unblocked after Summer, are very, very busy.

Saturday 9/26 was very, very, very busy.

Saturday 10/5 was simply very, very busy.

dweezil78

Totally true, parks are always packed now. Just saying, if folks are going to highlight 10/3 as a busy day, it's an important detail to include. The park was thick with red shirts that day.

Edit -- The Mark Twain looked like this the entire time I was in the park on Saturday.
View media item 884

Last edited:

PrincessJenn5795

I wish they would do away with all but the highest level APs. The SoCal and even the Deluxe should be tossed out, and there should not be monthly payment options. Disney can't make much money off of local AP holders who don't stay, or in some cases eat, on property. If they go more than a couple days a year they are paying way less than regular ticket prices. If everyone had to pay $1000 for a pass, which as I pointed out before is still a good deal if you spend more than 10 days in the parks, and have that pass have all the benefits like parking and discounts there would probably be far fewer locals just popping in for a few hours spending no money and making the crowds unbearable.

I am pretty worried about how crowded it will be when we go in a couple of weeks. My family is one of the ones that saves up and spends a lot of money flying down, staying on property, eating all meals, including some expensive table service meals, on property, buying special event passes (Halloween party in this case), and buying souvenirs. It sucks when the crowds are really bad, and a lot of that is due to local AP holders.

catmom46

I wish they would do away with all but the highest level APs. The SoCal and even the Deluxe should be tossed out, and there should not be monthly payment options. Disney can't make much money off of local AP holders who don't stay, or in some cases eat, on property. If they go more than a couple days a year they are paying way less than regular ticket prices. If everyone had to pay $1000 for a pass, which as I pointed out before is still a good deal if you spend more than 10 days in the parks, and have that pass have all the benefits like parking and discounts there would probably be far fewer locals just popping in for a few hours spending no money and making the crowds unbearable.

I am pretty worried about how crowded it will be when we go in a couple of weeks. My family is one of the ones that saves up and spends a lot of money flying down, staying on property, eating all meals, including some expensive table service meals, on property, buying special event passes (Halloween party in this case), and buying souvenirs. It sucks when the crowds are really bad, and a lot of that is due to local AP holders.

Sorry, but I hope they never get rid of the SoCal pass because that's the only one I'll ever get! I don't want to go during the summer or weekends. But that's not to say Disney isn't making any money off of me - I eat on property because that's a big part of the experience for me and I will occasionally stay on property as well.

Phroobar

Disneyland should never be a gated tourist trap. It should be a place where family and friends can go to have some fun. AP holders spend a lot of money there too considering the cost of food and special events and merchandice. I thing its an unproven internet lie that tourists spend more there per year than a local.

Californian Elitist

Disneyland should never be a gated tourist trap. It should be a place where family and friends can go to have some fun. AP holders spend a lot of money there too considering the cost of food and special events and merchandice. I thing its an unproven internet lie that tourists spend more there per year than a local.

Actually the notion that the DLR tourist spends more than a DLR AP is not far-fetched. And the special events offered are almost always free.

Phroobar

Actually the notion that the DLR tourist spends more than a DLR AP is not far-fetched. And the special events offered are almost always free.

Since when are special events free? Mickeys Halloween party isn't free. Most merch events are not free. Marathons are not free. There might be an occasional ride preview but for the most part it costs a lot to have an AP.

Tourists pay for a couple of days and then are off to a different tourist attraction. They are not trapped at DLR like they are at WDW. Money is spent elsewhere in southern California. There are also other hotels within walking distance. Disney doesn't get all the tourist money like WDW does.

Californian Elitist

Since when are special events free? Mickeys Halloween party isn't free. Most merch events are not free. Marathons are not free. There might be an occasional ride preview but for the most part it costs a lot to have an AP.

Tourists pay for a couple of days and then are off to a different tourist attraction. They are not trapped at DLR like they are at WDW. Money is spent elsewhere in southern California. There are also other hotels within walking distance. Disney doesn't get all the tourist money like WDW does.

I thought you were referring to AP-only events. Still, what I said is valid. Tourists spend more than AP's.

Curious Constance

Tourist would have to spend more because they spend a lot more money per visit to get into the parks, eat three meals a day out and stay in hotels.

Phroobar

But you have no numbers to back up that claim.

Say a tourist stays for two nights at gch and spends $800 on rooms $200 on food $250 on tickets and another $200 on merch for a yearly vacation. During their visit spent $1450. An AP holder spent $750 for tickets and goes three times a month all year and eats $30 of food each time and spends $500 on merch per year because they are fans. Who spent more money at the resort that year?

I think the AP spends little idea is a complete myth put on by people that want to make AP holders look like they use the park and give nothing in return. If the AP program wasn't profitable Disney would have ditched it long ago.

Phroobar

Look at the money spent by one tourist in a year vs the AP holder for that same year. I don't think APs are the cheap !?2dg3% they are made out to be.

Californian Elitist

But you have no numbers to back up that claim.

Say a tourist stays for two nights at gch and spends $800 on rooms $200 on food $250 on tickets and another $200 on merch for a yearly vacation. During their visit spent $1450. An AP holder spent $750 for tickets and goes three times a month all year and eats $30 of food each time and spends $500 on merch per year because they are fans. Who spent more money at the resort that year?

I think the AP spends little idea is a complete myth put on by people that want to make AP holders look like they use the park and give nothing in return. If the AP program wasn't profitable Disney would have ditched it long ago.

Do you have numbers to back up your claim?

I said it's not far-fetched for a tourist to spend more money than an annual passholder. When considering how long tourists stay, especially of they stay in any one of the onsite hotels, food for each day, merchandise, snacks, etc. vs. an annual passholder coming for one day, not having to pay for a ticket for the day, buying food, snacks, souvenirs, is it really hard for you to believe an annual passholder might spend less than a tourist?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom