Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

lazyboy97o

Look on the bright side; of all the available IP out there Disney couldn't possibly do any better than Star Wars. I see this massive expansion as a coup for Disneyland and Disneyland fans.
Every half-wit armchair Imagineer has been talking about a Star Wars land for years. The IP that would be the real coup would be one that surpises, not one that was announced after years of pestering because it is so painfully and blatantly obvious to anyone, including the most creatively inept.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Every half-wit armchair Imagineer has been talking about a Star Wars land for years. The IP that would be the real coup would be one that surpasses, not one that was announced after years of pestering because it is so painfully and blatantly obvious to anyone, including the most creatively inept.

I said it was a coup for Disneyland. Iger could have easily chosen to put Anaheim's billion dollar SW expansion in DCA or another park overseas.

lazyboy97o

I said it was a coup for Disneyland. Iger could have easily chosen to put Anaheim's billion dollar SW expansion in DCA or another park overseas.
No, he couldn't. The overseas parks have their own owners who make those decisions and Disneyland has gone decades without expansion while bursting at the seams. Investment into Disneyland is necessary for the dog and pony show with the City and even the investment annalists have been pestering for Star Wars because it is so blatantly obvious. Like with the rest of the Disney controlled parks, Disneyland has been left until attraction is absolutely necessary. This isn't some pre-emptive expansion, it is coming at the very last minute.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

The guy who destroyed what charm was left in Tomorrowland in '98 and then fought to resurrect the Subs with a hokey Nemo overlay? No thank you.

It is my understanding that the only way the Subs could be saved from extinction was by adding the 'Finding Nemo' overlay.
There was a desire to close the Attraction for good due to its high operational costs at the time.
Several high profile folks at WDI fought against that to stop that from happening.
There was pressure from marketing to tie it into a upcoming film promotion or other popular IP.
A compromise was reached by tacking on the 'Nemo' overlay.
As much as I despise the 'Finding Nemo' film and characters, I can tolerate the overlay knowing it basically provided a means to save the Subs which I enjoy quite a bit.

As far as Tomorrowland goes, the original plan that was being developed was far more extravagant and immersive then what was eventually built.
Budget cuts and inter-company politics took their toll on the project, and after a promising start things were being slowly stripped away within by budgeteers to the point where there was literally nothing to work with.
There were several complicated things going on behind the scenes related to the project and it is unfortunate.
The redevelopment of the area suffered because of it.

It's the incredibly shortsighted, cheapskate uppers who were directing the Company at that time who are to blame.
And blame them I do.

-

Figments Friend

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, (or let me know if you're referring to something else) but didn't the proposed Discovery Bay prominently feature attractions with themes from "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" and "The Island at the Top of the World"?

I was referring more to the general land as a whole, I should have clarified, but you do point out two Attractions that were indeed planned that were based on films.
And that is fine in the context of what the Discovery Bay area was originally being themed around.
The entire land was not themed to just one IP, much like the other areas of the Park.
It was a mixture.

-

mickEblu

It is my understanding that the only way the Subs could be saved from extinction was by adding the 'Finding Nemo' overlay.
There was a desire to close the Attraction for good due to its high operational costs at the time.
Several high profile folks at WDI fought against that to stop that from happening.
There was pressure from marketing to tie it into a upcoming film promotion or other popular IP.
A compromise was reached by tacking on the 'Nemo' overlay.
As much as I despise the 'Finding Nemo' film and characters, I can tolerate the overlay knowing it basically provided a means to save the Subs which I enjoy quite a bit.

As far as Tomorrowland goes, the original plan that was being developed was far more extravagant and immersive then what was eventually built.
Budget cuts and inter-company politics took their toll on the project, and after a promising start things were being slowly stripped away within by budgeteers to the point where there was literally nothing to work with.
There were several complicated things going on behind the scenes related to the project and it is unfortunate.
The redevelopment of the area suffered because of it.

It's the incredibly shortsighted, cheapskate uppers who were directing the Company at that time who are to blame.
And blame them I do.

-

This is all true. The only thing I blame Tony for are those French fry rocks and putting the Astro Orbiter in the hub and clogging up the TL entrance ( which I believe I've heard him taking credit for ) Other than this I think just about everything else he did at DL was fantastic. I guess nobody bats 1.000

dweezil78

If Tony had his way, Disney would have done the Harry Potter deal. I have heard him say countless times in interviews from the past few years how blown away he is by what was done at Universal now that he doesn't have to toe the company line. Disney was all primed to do it until negotiations went south with JK Rowling -- even further along than many think based on the info from this semi-recent interview with him: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=760

According to this Jim Hill update in 2006, Disney even had a letter of intent from Rowling for it:
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...ch-harry-potter-and-the-letter-of-intent.aspx

As with most of us fans here, I think Discovery Bay was an amazing concept for sure and sad it never got off the ground, but like many things, it was very much a product of its time.

Old Mouseketeer

I keep seeing that giant off-center window from NOS in my brain when I think of what WDI will do to the existing ROA.

I really don't care about the giant off-center window. What es me off are the ginormous out-of-scale windows above the Crystal Shop further back. That Imagineer should be fed to the man-eating ducks in the RoA.

D

Deleted member 107043

If Tony had his way, Disney would have done the Harry Potter deal.

And of course fans would've believed it was the most incredible thing Disney ever created because Tony Baxter laid his blessed hands on it. Had it sucked the fans would've blamed someone else. :rolleyes:

Curious Constance

And of course fans would've believed it was the most incredible thing Disney ever created because Tony Baxter laid his blessed hands on it. Had it sucked the fans would've blamed someone else. :rolleyes:

If Disney had done Harry Potter I have a feeling hardcore fans wouldn't have liked it because it's a land based on an IP, but since Disney didn't do it, and Universal did those same hardcore fans tend to act like it's the most amazing thing ever created on this Earth.

Curious Constance

@raven24 you never addressed the question I asked yesterday. If there were 5 or less people at every Lincoln showing from now on, would you still think it should be kept in the park despite it basically just sitting there empty all day?

Phroobar

No one would still go in there if it was a Disney Family Museum. What park goers need is to be tricked. Disney needs to put up a sign that says "Meet the President of the United States". People will think it's a character meet and greet and spend hours waiting to get in. Once in they get to see AA Lincoln.

Oh, and tell them Olfe is in there too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom