Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Goofyernmost

I went golfing this morning. It was for my golf class, but it was the perfect day for golf! I hit some pretty good shots, too. The only thing that would make it better is if the grass wasn't so wet.
I haven't been golfing for almost two weeks now. I am starting to suffer from withdrawal. Hopefully I will get in nine holes tomorrow morning. Then go watch the Pro-Am for the Senior Tour down the road a couple of miles. All the names that I used to watch in the main PGA tour when I was young. Just need another day of sunshine.

Goofyernmost

I only go to McD's when they bring back the McRib ... after which I immediately remember than 14-year old Jennifer had less refined taste buds than late-40's Jennifer.
No need to try and hide behind the old "we must hate McDonalds" social pressure. Most of what McDonalds have are fairly tasty, but, two are the best ever. One is the Breakfast Burrito (I could eat those for every meal) and the other is the McRib. Admit that you like it, it's OK. Perhaps we (probably not me) will discover that the main food supply in heaven is a McRib you never know. Make it your own, don't let the food police take away one of the few really good comfort foods ever created. It gets even easier to own it the older you get. Take my advice and enjoy.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
No need to try and hide behind the old "we must hate McDonalds" social pressure. Most of what McDonalds have are fairly tasty, but, two are the best ever. One is the Breakfast Burrito (I could eat those for every meal) and the other is the McRib. Admit that you like it, it's OK. Perhaps we (probably not me) will discover that the main food supply in heaven is a McRib you never know. Make it your own, don't let the food police take away one of the few really good comfort foods ever created. It gets even easier to own it the older you get. Take my advice and enjoy.
The McRib USED to be delish! Now, it is ugh!
Not sure if it's a menu staple where you are, but it's "a limited time only" offering for 4-6 weeks every 3-4 years around here.

Now, McDonald's hot cakes and sausage ... I could eat that everyday! Sadly, as you well know, I am seldom up in time to partake. :hilarious:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Further to the McD's conversation - before Ski got his licence and car, I used to pick up his GF from her midnight shift two or three times/week. As shift manager, she could have brought me anything I wanted for FREE.

I did not have McD food, for pay or free, even once this summer.

Wendy's - that is a different story altogether.
In case you're stopping by, I'll have the chicken sandwich (no tomato, extra lettuce, extra mayo), fries, and a Frosty instead of a soda. Many thanks.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The McRib USED to be delish! Now, it is ugh!
Not sure if it's a menu staple where you are, but it's "a limited time only" offering for 4-6 weeks every 3-4 years around here.

Now, McDonald's hot cakes and sausage ... I could eat that everyday! Sadly, as you well know, I am seldom up in time to partake. :hilarious:

Do you still have pizza at the McDonald's up there?

download.jpg

Arthur Wellesley

This so needs to become a thing around here. Similar to the the "I Concur" image, only, use this if we really agree with someone heavily.

Lucky: I could use a trip to WDW next week.
Arthur Wellesley:
image-jpeg.113629

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
...and I just had the Filet-o-Fish.But it was a special where you got a large drink and large fries and a cookie for $6 and a 2nd fish sandwich for another $1.
I actually do like the filet of fish....I just don't go to McD's very often as there is much better fare closer to me at lunch time.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
No mention of @JenniferS, but other than that, the following article hits the Brantford trifecta: Gretzky, Horton's, and Canuck pride.

Tim Hortons and Wayne Gretzky: Brantford, Ont. is the city most proud of its Canadian identity
Statistics Canada reports that 98 per cent of Brantford residents say they take pride in being able to call themselves Canucks.
tim-hortons.jpg.size.xxxxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Torstar News Service /

Published on Oct 05 2015
Liz BrownMETRO

Last week, I stumbled across a news story that has provided much insight into the origins of my Canadian patriotism.

Statistics Canada reports that my hometown, Brantford, Ont., is the city most proud of its Canadian identity, with 98 per cent of residents saying they take pride in just, well, being able to call themselves Canucks.

I’m convinced it’s because this community cultivates pride in Canadian clichés in a way that puts Bob and Doug McKenzie to shame. Growing up there, you’re constantly reminded that Brantford bred the world’s greatest hockey player. And if you never move away, you think it’s in perfect taste to hang Canadian flags as curtains on your bedroom window. A Sunday well spent is a game of street hockey, played to the sounds of The Tragically Hip (we once had a music festival called Hockeyfest), followed by domestic Canadian brews consumed in a garage.

As a kid, I knew that Wayne Gretzky’s mom and dad — Walter and Phyllis — lived behind the Brantford Mall on Varadi Avenue and if you knocked on the door and asked nicely, Walter would take you for a tour of the basement that showcased memorabilia from his son’s career. Walter had autographed sticks and pucks he’d gift to kids, like a sort of hockey Halloween.

As quickly as you can say Timbit, you’re told that Brantford, per capita, has the most Tim Hortons of any city in Canada. So strong was this urban legend, that a Brantford Expositor reporter went on assignment to uncover the truth back in 2007. Much to the city’s disappointment, her research revealed Moncton, N.B., held that crown. But, she confirmed that Brantford does have the most Tim Hortons per capita in Ontario, and once boasted the busiest store, which, during peak hours, had to call the police to control the drive-thru chaos.

We love this Canadian institution so much, we’re also home to the factory that bakes the doughnuts. The central bakery that ships frozen Tim’s goods across Canada is on the east side of the city and coats the area in that familiar sugary, fried doughnut scent. If you ever happen to visit Brantford, start sniffing as you approach on the 403, right near Wayne Gretzky Parkway.

I live in Toronto now, and I’m often mocked for my “strong Canadian accent” and love for pedestrian activities like drinking beer in a garage. I’m aware that reducing Canadian culture to hockey, doughnuts and beers in a garage is incredibly simplistic and doesn’t come close to capturing the character of this country. But there’s a charming innocence in loving your country so much you take pride in these tropes.

So I raise my double double to you, fellow Brantfordians. Congratulations for putting our city on the map once again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom