Fantasia to have limited re-release for 75 anniversary

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
According to Walt Disney Animation Studios, Fantasia is going to have a limited re-release for its 75th anniversary starting November 8. More info here: fantasia75.com

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of Fantasia with it being over two hours long and personally finding it a bit boring, but I'd be willing to sit through it if it means having the full theater experience.

officialtom

Fantasia was definitely a gamble, and didn't pay off like Snow White, but it's one of my favourites. I'll be first in line to see it in theatres if it happens to make it to one near me!

sofiathesecond

This is actually gonna show at a theater ten miles from me (which is a shock because the local theaters usually never do special events like this) so I'll definitely be there. I'm gonna see if I can take my niece to it because I don't know if she's ever seen it all the way through.

ForeverAnna

We went today. It was great seeing it on the big screen again. Unfortunately there was a woman there with her two little girls. One of them was wearing Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey Ears. During the Sorcerer's Apprentice segment she started taking flash pictures. Luckily someone from the theater quickly put a stop to that. Later the kids got bored and started talking really loud. She did not quiet them and when my sister asked them to be quiet she went off on us. We thought they left towards the end of Dance of the Hours but when we left she was waiting for us in the hallway and confronted my sister again. Then after we exited the theater she was headed toward the lobby and my sister was headed into the restroom she turned around again and said some foul things to my sister and acted threatening. Right in front of her little daughters. Now my sister does bare some of the responsibility. She should have addressed herself to the mom instead of the kids and she wishes instead of calling out for them to be quiet she had gone down and asked quietly. And she also participated in the escalation which she didn't need to. But it was just ugh.

Magenta Panther

We went today. It was great seeing it on the big screen again. Unfortunately there was a woman there with her two little girls. One of them was wearing Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey Ears. During the Sorcerer's Apprentice segment she started taking flash pictures. Luckily someone from the theater quickly put a stop to that. Later the kids got bored and started talking really loud. She did not quiet them and when my sister asked them to be quiet she went off on us. We thought they left towards the end of Dance of the Hours but when we left she was waiting for us in the hallway and confronted my sister again. Then after we exited the theater she was headed toward the lobby and my sister was headed into the restroom she turned around again and said some foul things to my sister and acted threatening. Right in front of her little daughters. Now my sister does bare some of the responsibility. She should have addressed herself to the mom instead of the kids and she wishes instead of calling out for them to be quiet she had gone down and asked quietly. And she also participated in the escalation which she didn't need to. But it was just ugh.

Nuts to that mother. No wonder her kids are rude. Look at the example she's setting. Kudos to you for speaking up. She and her kids should have been removed from the theater IMO.

As for Fantasia, it holds up beautifully...except for the dinosaur sequence. That never really did fit in, and now, after what we now know about dinos, it seems very dated and even a bit silly. I wish it could be cut from the film. Sorry, Uncle Walt. :p

sofiathesecond

When it got to Rite Of Spring and Deems Taylor was talking about science, someone behind me started chuckling. Yes, I live in the south and yes, I'm surrounded by people like that.

ForeverAnna

When it got to Rite Of Spring and Deems Taylor was talking about science, someone behind me started chuckling. Yes, I live in the south and yes, I'm surrounded by people like that.

Well that particular theory is 75 years out of date. My sister was wondering if that segment was controversial in 1940. I know they stopped short of showing the evolution of humans because of possible controversy.

prberk

As for Fantasia, it holds up beautifully...except for the dinosaur sequence. That never really did fit in, and now, after what we now know about dinos, it seems very dated and even a bit silly. I wish it could be cut from the film. Sorry, Uncle Walt. :p

Well that particular theory is 75 years out of date. My sister was wondering if that segment was controversial in 1940. I know they stopped short of showing the evolution of humans because of possible controversy.

Please jog my memory. What exactly does the Rite of Spring passage show that is outdated in theory today? I really only remember majestic scenes of the dinosaurs fighting each other. I never really saw it as a scientic treatise, but rather as art, emphaizing the themes of the music.

I do wish the film were shown in my area. The closest I could find was Washington, DC, about two hours away.

ForeverAnna

Please jog my memory. What exactly does the Rite of Spring passage show that is outdated in theory today? I really only remember majestic scenes of the dinosaurs fighting each other. I never really saw it as a scientic treatise, but rather as art, emphaizing the themes of the music.

I do wish the film were shown in my area. The closest I could find was Washington, DC, about two hours away.

It shows the dinosaurs dying off from a severe drought rather than the current accepted theory of an asteroid hit.

Magenta Panther

And the dinosaurs now look silly. They were accurate depictions (more or less) of what was known about them at the time. But they really do date the film in a way that, say, the wonderful "Nutcracker Suite" sequence does not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom