Star Wars themed land announced for Disneyland

dweezil78

I think you missed the main reason why I'm upset. It's not the sole fact that they're taking away a piece of the river and Frontierland that angers me. It's the fact that they're doing it for an entire land dedicated to Star Wars.

Just out of curiosity -- and I know this deserves its own thread -- but if you were to play armchair Imagineer for a moment, what would you think is worthy (for today's park go'er) of a full land sized expansion like we are getting with Star Wars?

Curious Constance

Constance, you're generalizing. It's clear you at least make time to see Lincoln during your trips.

I've been to Disneyland a total of 6 times in my life. (All since 2006). We went to see the Lincoln show once. My family of four and one other person (who was sleeping) were the only ones in the theater.I thought it was cool to see and enjoyed it, but there really isn't a need to go back again to see it. It's not very repeatable. I think that space would be better if they used it for something else, I still think Lincoln could be on display somewhere just maybe not at Disneyland. I think he would be amazing to have at the Walt Disney Family Musuem. The musuem is amazing (I just went this summer). I hate to see the park itself be a musuem though.

Californian Elitist

I've been to Disneyland a total of 6 times in my life. (All since 2006). We went to see the Lincoln show once.

Hhmm... So you've only seen Lincoln one time. How could you make the claim that no one likes it if you've only seen it once? I don't want to come off rude, I just want you to see that you're generalizing and speaking for lots of people.

Just because YOU don't feel Lincoln is worth seeing multiple times doesn't mean it should be axed.

Curious Constance

Hhmm... So you've only seen Lincoln one time. How could you make the claim that no one likes it if you've only seen it once? I don't want to come off rude, I just want you to see that you're generalizing and speaking for lots of people.

Just because YOU don't feel Lincoln is worth seeing multiple times doesn't mean it should be axed.
I agree, and if it was really popular and attracted lots of people I wouldn't think they need to take it out. But I don't think anyone would make the claim that it is popular or attracts lots of people.

Californian Elitist

I agree, and if it was really popular and attracted lots of people I wouldn't think they need to take it out. But I don't think anyone would make the claim that it is popular or attracts lots of people.

There are multiple attractions that aren't considered popular that are still around. Do you think they should be axed?

Curious Constance

Let me answer that question with a question :)
Let's say that we could say with absolute certainty that less than 5 people would be in attendence of each showing of Lincoln from now on. Do you think they should keep it despite the fact that no one goes to see it? If so, why?

Californian Elitist

If customers stop eating at a restaurant or shopping at a store, do they stay in business?

This comparison is invalid. Lincoln, Casey, Storybook, etc. have been open at Disneyland for decades, they're not considered popular, and yet Disneyland is still making loads of money and is still open for business.

You can't compare a restaurant to a theme park attraction like that. A restaurant counts on incoming customers to stay open for business. One unpopular attraction in a theme park isn't going to get the place closed.

dweezil78

This comparison is invalid. Lincoln, Casey, Storybook, etc. have been open at Disneyland for decades, they're not considered popular, and yet Disneyland is still making loads of money and is still open for business.

You can't compare a restaurant to a theme park attraction like that. A restaurant counts on incoming customers to stay open for business. One unpopular attraction in a theme park isn't going to get the place closed.

I didn't say I think they should close, I just posed a question. I'm still kind of making the point that we are lucky to have what we have. For all the grief Disney gets for the changes made to the park, Star Wars Land, etc, the company still does what they can to keep legacy attractions around and maintained (and sometimes even plussed up) and that's pretty cool as they could easily level some of that stuff and make room for bigger money makers.

Californian Elitist

I didn't say I think they should close, I just posed a question. I'm still kind of making the point that we are lucky to have what we have. For all the grief Disney gets for the changes made to the park, Star Wars Land, etc, the company still does what they can to keep legacy attractions around and maintained (and sometimes even plussed up) and that's pretty cool as they could easily level some of that stuff and make room for bigger money makers.

I never argued against this...

Phroobar

Casey and Storybook always see huge lines for such old rides. I would consider them popular but when the park is filled to capacity and a dozen people are watching Lincoln or the cartoons then there is something wrong with that exhibit. Either the general park goer doesn't know they are there or just doesn't care about history of the country or Disney in general. It's hard to make a point to see those attractions when rides like Space Mountain overshadow them. Casey and Storybook are both rides in the middle of Fantasyland. They will be ridden no matter what even if all the little houses are removed and replaced with a large oil derek.

Curious Constance

If they closed Storybook or Casey Jr, it would make me sad. But that's the emotional reaction that I would have. The logical part of me would realize that while I'm sad about it, if it's not popular and guests aren't enjoying it, it should be removed for something that would be.

Californian Elitist

Lol, I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and let someone else continue this discussion. Hopefully others have seen the point I am making.

You jumped into a conversation I was having with someone else that was completely different from what you and I were discussing. What you replied to me was a little irrelevant. I was arguing in favor of keeping some classic attractions, even if they're not popular. You replied to me and said Disney does this, something to which I never argued and was therefore irrelevant.

Go ahead and keep your mouth shut then.

Figments Friend

If I may add some thoughts to the current discussion concerning the 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln' show....

I get the impression often in various related discussions ( or arguments...) on similar matters that some folks seem to forget what the real beauty of a Park like Disneyland is - the varied offering of experiences.
Some feel every single Attraction needs to be a speedy thrill ride or fast action adrenaline run.
They seem to forget the importance of having a balanced set of offerings.

A Theme Park works best when you have a mixture..the thrills, the milds, and the mellow.
Disneyland in particular excels in that department as far as its roster of available Attractions goes.
You have the excitement to be had by the various thrilling options, and then you have the more relaxing options to do when you need to take a breather from said thrills.
'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln' is just such a Attraction, as is the Rivers of America.
A nice place to go and enjoy a break from the speedy thrills, crowds, and overstimulation.
Taking some time to get away from that for a short time enhances the overall experience of visiting the Park, in my opinion.

Perhaps I'm just old school....and the bulk of today's newer Guests prefer a more frenzied pace with non-stop stimulation when they visit.
Regardless of the type of Park goer you might be, I think all would agree in the importantance of having 'tiered' levels of Attraction experiences.
There is a reason why they used to offer those old ticket books...and labeled the various offerings 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', and 'E'...!

;)

-

Californian Elitist

Casey and Storybook always see huge lines for such old rides. I would consider them popular but when the park is filled to capacity and a dozen people are watching Lincoln or the cartoons then there is something wrong with that exhibit. Either the general park goer doesn't know they are there or just doesn't care about history of the country or Disney in general. It's hard to make a point to see those attractions when rides like Space Mountain overshadow them. Casey and Storybook are both rides in the middle of Fantasyland. They will be ridden no matter what even if all the little houses are removed and replaced with a large oil derek.

Yes, they may see lines, but these attractions aren't considered to be as popular and well-loved as say Pirates and Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom