You've been waiting under the menu for 10 mins, could you not have decided then?

alissafalco

Right we fly over on Wednesday from the UK this week and we'll be rocking up to Disney Studios for gate opening on Thursday morning. I've been doing some thinking in advance this year on how to tackle the problem folk who hold me up by only looking at the choices above them when they reach the CM taking the order at the food places.

A particular issue is those who don't speak English. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with them not learning English, it's just difficult for me to admonish them as they don't know what I'm talking about due to the language barrier. Being a resourceful sort of chap though I'm thinking of using our good friend google translate to help me first translate and then print off some cards with my thoughts written in their own language, clever hey :cool:

So I've typed in

You've been waiting under the menu for 10 mins, could you not have decided then?

I was then deciding what nationalities we see the most or may see and have translated to Portuguese for our Brazilian friends

Você estava esperando sob o menu para 10 minutos , poderia você ainda não decidiu então?

Spanish for our friends from Mexico
Usted ha estado esperando en el menú por 10 minutos, ¿podría usted no ha decidido entonces?

And Japanese for our buddies from Japan
あなたは、10分間のメニューの下で待っていたあなたがして決めたことができませんでしたか?

Now I think that should help alleviate any future problems by educating at source. I mean come on folks, what could possibly go wrong?

:)
LOL ...if you do do this, be sure to let us know how it works out..LOL

mergatroid

Original Poster
LOL ...if you do do this, be sure to let us know how it works out..LOL

I'm hoping I don't end up like this

2733BA7F00000578-3021847-image-m-102_1427912570660.jpg

POLY LOVER

It happens everywhere, My favorite is the supermarket check writer who waits till the end to try and find the check book writes the check then balances the check book while everyone is waiting. Did they not know they were paying by check and can't they balance the book when they get home?

POLY LOVER

I work in food and am the one to take orders. We have menus that you can look at while waiting in line but no one wants to do that, they rather talk to each other instead of figuring out what they want. What is worse then people not knowing what they want are the ones that are rude to me when I ask to take their order. I get snippy responses like "well can I look first", or "just wait, I haven't decided yet". Well people you have had 10 min in line to look and decide. These same type of people complain about the line but do not realize they contribute to it.
Let me apologize for the nit wits who do that, thanks for what you do, I hope most people are civil.

French Quarter

I'm glad this thread was resurrected. It is hilarious!

It certainly grinds my gears too. I try to take deep breaths and let it roll off my back but inside I want blood.

John Pinette's bit was hi-larious! I am still laughing.

weird

My DW's nieces can be standing in line staring at the menu for a whole day, and still would not know what they want to order when they reach the counter. :mad:

Nick Wilde

People on here had long, heated debates with insults and condescending responses over a few people being indecisive at a restaurant at WDW. Welcome to WDWMagic!

wdwjmp239

Unfortunately, these people exist period. I wish the problem was endemic to Disney only, but it's pandemic (at least in Florida). For example, there was a Panera Bread (Cafe/Bakery) I used to stop in to every morning to get my coffee and every morning I was always wound up behind this lady who would stare at the menu board and order "off-menu" items just to throw the cashier (who was a young girl in the morning) off to the point where you can see she was getting flustered as the line behind the lady grew longer and longer.

I think the problem is worse at Disney due to the sheer volume of people and the language barrier in some instances. For example, my wife and I were stuck behind a young Japanese couple who could not speak English clearly. The CM at the register had a hard time understanding them.

It is what it is, I suppose. It's a lesson in patience. Don't let it spoil your fun. :)

216bruce

Or, they get to the order counter and start asking about things like they are in a fine dining establishment...making requests for the how to prepare their burger...asking for alternate toppings on pizzas...asking if there are other entrees available...is the chocolate in the milk dark chocolate or 'not'...can I have a Pepsi?...what types of lettuce are in the salad?...can I have the toppings put on the burger before it's served, so I don't have to go to the toppings bar, because it's 'yucky'....(yes, I've heard all of these). My goodness, it's theme park fast food!

lebeau

I started a thread about this a while back and I often wondered what the 'table etiquette' was myself. Apparently it's ok to have party members reserve a table once you enter the building whilst others queue for food. I was told Disney stop people doing this when the restaurant is full and at that point you must first get your food? I have however been in Cosmic Rays and when we've got our food had nowhere to sit and eat it whilst others sat at tables waiting for their parties to get food who came in after us which I personally felt was unfair.

This has happened to us two of the two times we ate at Cosmic Rays. I am no longer allowed to say "Cosmic Rays" in my wife's presence. If I were to suggest eating there, she would file for divorce.

nerdboyrockstar

My biggest Counter Service peeve is that the cashiers help someone on the left and then someone on the right. So when there's a group of us and we want to receive our food around the same time, should we split up and go some left and some right?

nerdboyrockstar

This has happened to us two of the two times we ate at Cosmic Rays. I am no longer allowed to say "Cosmic Rays" in my wife's presence. If I were to suggest eating there, she would file for divorce.

Disney was actually policing this a few years back but I haven't heard anything about it since.

mergatroid

Original Poster
My biggest Counter Service peeve is that the cashiers help someone on the left and then someone on the right. So when there's a group of us and we want to receive our food around the same time, should we split up and go some left and some right?

It depends, are you paying together or not?

mergatroid

Original Poster
We're not. We have our own Magic Bands, credit cards, etc.

In that case your certainly better splitting left and right for speed. However if you all agreed to pay one person in your group before or after the meal and gave them all the orders, this would be even quicker for everyone.

ninjaprincesst

Disney was actually policing this a few years back but I haven't heard anything about it since.
They seem to be getting very strict with it which poses an issue for families like ours. I understand the concept of not taking up a table, but my Dad is disabled and has to use a scooter, of course you have to park the scooter outside, but he is incapable of standing in the line for a long period of time or having to stand and wait on my mother and I to go through the line. Pecos Bills have benches for people like him to sit and wait but Cosmic Rays does not., so yeah, mentioning that word to my family is not a good idea either.

ninjaprincesst

Another pet peeve is the person who has to argue with the cast member because the want something that is not on the menu, For example, we were behind two ladies at Casey's who each had several children and one of them got in a huge argument with the cast member because she wanted a hamburger for her kids.

Goofyernmost

They seem to be getting very strict with it which poses an issue for families like ours. I understand the concept of not taking up a table, but my Dad is disabled and has to use a scooter, of course you have to park the scooter outside, but he is incapable of standing in the line for a long period of time or having to stand and wait on my mother and I to go through the line. Pecos Bills have benches for people like him to sit and wait but Cosmic Rays does not., so yeah, mentioning that word to my family is not a good idea either.
It's been my experience that Cosmic Rays is the worst place for finding a table of any of the counter service places in WDW. Pinocchio Village Haus is a close second and between the two is a huge dining and seating area that is always closed. It's beyond stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom