Some things you just can't fix

LdyApxr

I don't complain about the price of going to Disney simply because we have paid more for a trip for a family of four to Monterey for the MotoGP which is a three day weekend(we stay for 5 nights but it is essential Fri/Sat/Sun races) which used to encompass the European racers, plus 3 of the AMA racing series, lots of vendors, lots of food, lots of fun but it was $300/person for the weekend and a hotel in Monterey during that time was over $3000 for the 5 nights. Talk about price gouging. In 2005 when it first returned, Motel 8 was charging $375/night! It continued that way for 3yrs, increasing each year because that is a captive audience. 85,000 people in the tiny area of Salina/Monterey/Gilroy for three days. Finally Monterey County put an end to the outrageous price gouging for hotels and by 2013, MotoGP was no longer going to Monterey as they had added TX and Indy to the schedule. So no, I do not mind paying for entertainment and I do not complain about corporate greed. I have no idea what other people expect but it's a business and a big one at that.

Goofyernmost

This argument is specious. The diminishing cost of attendance per day has nothing to do with the actual cash grab. You said it yourself, You are going for a week. A week of Food, Drink, Snacks, Hotel, and Merchandise. $100 a day would be cheap compared to all those factors. If you stay on-site you avoid parking, if you are off site then bye bye $20 a day. The average guest on a Magic Your Way ticket is spending far more than $100 per day.

Comparing a show to a theme park doesn't really work. Assuming it did, did you stand in line for 40 minutes between 5 minutes of entertainment time? Did you have to book your place in line at the concession stand 60 days in advance? And to spend 12+ hours at "The Happiest Place on Earth", you would have to spend 4 more hours on a plane to California because that is where Disneyland is.

Similarly, sporting events don't compare well to theme parks for very similar reasons outlined above.

I would be happy to see the total number of visitors drop back down (regardless of where they visit from) but that would reduce this location's need for more and intriguing attractions.

The only approach from a cost/benefit position for anyone should be this question: Is this vacation worth what the total cost is for me. (Per day, per week, whatever....)

*1023*
The argument isn't spacious at all. No one was referring to the cost of lodging and food when they quote the $100.00 per day price. They are talking strictly about admission to the theme park. You have to pay for lodging and food even when you are home. No it is a selective number that suspiciously lines up with the cost of a single day ticket at MK and close to what it cost for a single day ticket to DHS, but, it isn't indicative of what people actually are paying in the vast majority of the cases. Using that argument is total hyperbole and even if it wasn't... it is irrelevant. People will pay what they think it is worth. No one holds a gun to their temple telling them that the must go to any particular park. If you have a multi-day ticket the cost per day is very much less. The argument is bogus and misleading and really means nothing at all. To bad not everyone knows that.

LdyApxr

Speak for yourself , I won't double my cost. If I have to I would do it if they doubled the rides.
If they double the rides, the price increases to cover building costs,the crowd increases. It's a vicious cycle. Less rides, no new ones, crowds dwindle, people complain there is "nothing new to do", new rides/attraction comes in, price increases to cover cost of new attraction(these don't get designed and made for free), crowds jump, people complain about crowd/price increase.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
The argument isn't spacious at all. No one was referring to the cost of lodging and food when they quote the $100.00 per day price. They are talking strictly about admission to the theme park. You have to pay for lodging and food even when you are home. No it is a selective number that suspiciously lines up with the cost of a single day ticket at MK and close to what it cost for a single day ticket to DHS, but, it isn't indicative of what people actually are paying in the vast majority of the cases. Using that argument is total hyperbole and even if it wasn't... it is irrelevant. People will pay what they think it is worth. No one holds a gun to their temple telling them that the must go to any particular park. If you have a multi-day ticket the cost per day is very much less. The argument is bogus and misleading and really means nothing at all. To bad not everyone knows that.

Normally, I ignore you. But for this response, I choose to rebut.

Either you can't spell or you don't know what words mean. Spacious is a word used to describe something that has ample size. If you were trying to say that their argument was diminutive, then you would be right. Specious, means something that appears plausible but is actually wrong. On my quoted post, that word specious perfectly describes the myopic idea that the only expense you have for a week's vacation at WDW is theme park tickets. Simply referring to the declining ticket cost on extended stays is not taking in to account the escalating cost of the vacation as a whole. So superficially, the argument that the ticket cost per day is less which may be correct ignores the larger, more compete scope of the vacation cost in it's entirety.

I can assure you that very few people in the United States have a mortgage or rent payment of $3420 a month. $3420 represents the average price of a value resort stay for a month. This is $114 per day. Most people's daily mortgage or rent expense per day on average is $33. The daily difference on lodging $81. This is even less important because you are still paying the lodging costs of your "home" while you are paying the additional lodging costs of "vacation". So really you are adding $33 (home) to the $114 (vacation) to cover your daily lodging.

Feeding a family of 4 at home costs between $150 to $300 per month. Feeding a family of 4 per day on DDP (regular) is $160 per day. If you go with the Deluxe DDP it's $288 per day. If you took your family out to eat for all three meals at home, you'd spend about $100 per day between Denny's, MacDonald's, and Olive Garden. You still spend more eating at the theme parks.

The idea of, "let's stay another day it only adds (insert number) dollars to our ticket cost" ignores the whole reason the WDW resort is covered in Hotels and DVC accommodations. You are still paying more for lodging at premium prices and food at premium prices for every day you stay. While the tickets get cheaper, you are still paying all the premiums that go along with any extra days.

My argument isn't hyperbole since there is no exaggeration at all. It is the only relevant argument. The total cost of a vacation is what matters when you plan it and when you pay for it. Theme park tickets are only part of that equation. When you get your value meal at McDonald's, do you only focus on the $1 soft drink or the whole cost of the meal. I think they'll want you to pay for the whole meal.

I'm not sure what the last part of your post means as I clearly state," The only approach from a cost/benefit position for anyone should be this question: Is this vacation worth what the total cost is for me. (Per day, per week, whatever....)" at the end of mine. This can be easily applied to the individual parks if you choose. If it's not worth it, don't go.

*1023*

Goofyernmost

Normally, I ignore you. But for this response, I choose to rebut.

Either you can't spell or you don't know what words mean. Spacious is a word used to describe something that has ample size. If you were trying to say that their argument was diminutive, then you would be right. Specious, means something that appears plausible but is actually wrong. On my quoted post, that word specious perfectly describes the myopic idea that the only expense you have for a week's vacation at WDW is theme park tickets. Simply referring to the declining ticket cost on extended stays is not taking in to account the escalating cost of the vacation as a whole. So superficially, the argument that the ticket cost per day is less which may be correct ignores the larger, more compete scope of the vacation cost in it's entirety.

I can assure you that very few people in the United States have a mortgage or rent payment of $3420 a month. $3420 represents the average price of a value resort stay for a month. This is $114 per day. Most people's daily mortgage or rent expense per day on average is $33. The daily difference on lodging $81. This is even less important because you are still paying the lodging costs of your "home" while you are paying the additional lodging costs of "vacation". So really you are adding $33 (home) to the $114 (vacation) to cover your daily lodging.

Feeding a family of 4 at home costs between $150 to $300 per month. Feeding a family of 4 per day on DDP (regular) is $160 per day. If you go with the Deluxe DDP it's $288 per day. If you took your family out to eat for all three meals at home, you'd spend about $100 per day between Denny's, MacDonald's, and Olive Garden. You still spend more eating at the theme parks.

The idea of, "let's stay another day it only adds (insert number) dollars to our ticket cost" ignores the whole reason the WDW resort is covered in Hotels and DVC accommodations. You are still paying more for lodging at premium prices and food at premium prices for every day you stay. While the tickets get cheaper, you are still paying all the premiums that go along with any extra days.

My argument isn't hyperbole since there is no exaggeration at all. It is the only relevant argument. The total cost of a vacation is what matters when you plan it and when you pay for it. Theme park tickets are only part of that equation. When you get your value meal at McDonald's, do you only focus on the $1 soft drink or the whole cost of the meal. I think they'll want you to pay for the whole meal.

I'm not sure what the last part of your post means as I clearly state," The only approach from a cost/benefit position for anyone should be this question: Is this vacation worth what the total cost is for me. (Per day, per week, whatever....)" at the end of mine. This can be easily applied to the individual parks if you choose. If it's not worth it, don't go.

*1023*
OK, I will admit that I read your post incorrectly. I read spacious and you typed specious. I apologize for that, I should have read it more carefully.

That does change the argument, but, it doesn't eliminate the fact that total cost of a vacation is not what is meant when they say $100.00 per day. That's an additional separate expense that wouldn't necessarily alter the cost of lodging and food. It's not what they are talking about. If one wants to get into unjustifiable charges let's talk about upwards of $600.00 per night to stay in, at the very most, a 3 star room. That's where people are getting worked over. Even if it was $100.00 admission for any park that lets you stay there and enjoy the entertainment for 10 to 12 hours, unlimited, it is actually cheap. However, when you add the other stuff it becomes very expensive. That would be why I don't ever stay onsite. It just isn't worth it, but, the park admission is not the problem. It's the rest of the stuff.

blm07

When lightning is in the area and the outdoor rides have to shut down.
When a ride breaks down and guests claim they waited an hour to be taken off, or they waited in line for an hour, when in most cases it was 20 minutes.
When a guest is in a place that is chained or roped off and isn't supposed to be there, such as a VIP area.
When a guest is smoking or using a e-cig excessively in a non smoking area.
When a guest doesn't want to get out of a ECV to get in line.
When a guest wants their too short kid to go on a ride.
When a guest doesn't understand that their small children have to be accompanied by an adult on a ride.

yedliW

It also comes down to are you vacationing at Disney, or are you vacationing in Florida, and going to Disney? Everyone has different priorities on how to spend their vacation money.

You are going to spend money on lodging and food no matter where you go on vacation.. Sure vacationing at Disney can be expensive, but so are a lot of other vacation spots.. you also don't need to stay in a suite in a monorail resort.. you don't have to eat at signature locations every night (or at all..) and you can take your own food in.. (how many places let you bring in your own food if you want?)

raven

Complain all you want about spending 100 dollars for a park ticket, the people are still coming in... And the more people that come in, the more Disney has to make sure that the park does not go over capacity.

Here's an clever idea to keep park tickets low and keep capacity down: Make more room!

I just stated in another thread that the current WDW management keeps taking away something before they add something else. Walk himself talked about "plussing" and said that Florida will have enough room to hold all of their ideas.

Price increases just target a newer audience and bump out another one. Nothing has really has changed except for corporate greed.

Chef Mickey

Here's an clever idea to keep park tickets low and keep capacity down: Make more room!

I just stated in another thread that the current WDW management keeps taking away something before they add something else. Walk himself talked about "plussing" and said that Florida will have enough room to hold all of their ideas.

Price increases just target a newer audience and bump out another one. Nothing has really has changed except for corporate greed.
I agree with you that building more space is the best idea. However, pricing does become an important lever for Disney to pull when crowds get unmanageable. They have to maintain some kind of quality of experience. I have been absolutely beating the drum that Disney can't become a complete beating, even on "normal" days and it was getting close.

They have completely failed, 100% to adequately expand.

However, now that they are in this predicament, they really can't do anything else besides increase prices. It's the right move for where they are now. I absolutely detest Iger for failing so dreadfully to expand while squeezing profits the last 10 years.

Demand based pricing does make sense though. It might be a nasty consequence of high demand, but you have to maintain some kind of consistency and guest experience. If it's $20/person to get in, that's not going to work.

LdyApxr

So I am just curious, for everyone complaining about the cost, the lack of expansion etc why do you all still go or visit boards that are very obviously in favor of Disney?

I just wonder because if I can't afford to go all that often, I don't run around yelling corporate greed and bashing the company. I just don't go.

Like what used to be Marine World in Vallejo(now Discovery Kingdom). Years ago we lived close and had season passes(close being within 25mi) and we stopped going and did not renew after the experience just stopped being a positive one(it's Vallejo, gangs, graffiti, rude people, teenagers breaking things on purpose etc) but we just stopped. We did not go to a message board or FB(it did not exist in 2002) and bash it and complain that Discovery Kingdom was at fault even though they do raise their prices yearly. We just stopped paying them to give us a mediocre experience. I suppose that might just be me though.

Goofyernmost

If they double the rides, the price increases to cover building costs,the crowd increases. It's a vicious cycle. Less rides, no new ones, crowds dwindle, people complain there is "nothing new to do", new rides/attraction comes in, price increases to cover cost of new attraction(these don't get designed and made for free), crowds jump, people complain about crowd/price increase.
So when does the dwindling start?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
So I am just curious, for everyone complaining about the cost, the lack of expansion etc why do you all still go or visit boards that are very obviously in favor of Disney?

I just wonder because if I can't afford to go all that often, I don't run around yelling corporate greed and bashing the company. I just don't go.

Like what used to be Marine World in Vallejo(now Discovery Kingdom). Years ago we lived close and had season passes(close being within 25mi) and we stopped going and did not renew after the experience just stopped being a positive one(it's Vallejo, gangs, graffiti, rude people, teenagers breaking things on purpose etc) but we just stopped. We did not go to a message board or FB(it did not exist in 2002) and bash it and complain that Discovery Kingdom was at fault even though they do raise their prices yearly. We just stopped paying them to give us a mediocre experience. I suppose that might just be me though.

Because we're all Disney, and Disney park extremists at heart... Disney park forums are honestly a good place to get our frustrations on the company out, rather than keeping them to ourselves. Because we're posting on these forums with other Disney park enthusiasts who may or may not feel the same way. Just a good way to let some things out, really.

LdyApxr

So when does the dwindling start?
LOL Not at Disney apparently but Sea World, Discovery Kingdom, some local water parks. Places that seem to let themselves go, then it dwindles, then someone takes over, improves it and crowds come back until the next lull in caretaking.

LdyApxr

Because we're all Disney, and Disney park extremists at heart... Disney park forums are honestly a good place to get our frustrations on the company out, rather than keeping them to ourselves. Because we're posting on these forums with other Disney park enthusiasts who may or may not feel the same way. Just a good way to let some things out, really.
I get that, but I also see the "We are never going back, they blow, they are greedy, this place is terrible, not worth it" posts and wonder why those people even bother or if most of those people are trolls. I am a Disneyphile, my husband can take it or leave it but I still love him. I question him, because he also does not like Elvis which is blasphemy in my family! LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom