Trip Report COMPLETED:The “who told him about the panoramic setting on his phone?” Surf n’ Turf Anniversary trip

/******************************************************************************************
Trip Report Table of contents (this will grow as I add to the TR)
Our Room
MK day one
Flag retreat
Jiko
HS part one
HS part two
Watto's Grotto
HS part three
Brown Derby Lounge
AKL 1-bedroom, room 5135
A rainy Boardwalk
Shula's Steak House
AK part one
AK part two
Trails End lunch
MK again part one with Casey's
A Pirate's Adventure
Kona Cafe and The Dream at first sight
Disney Dream Boarding
Disney Dream room 7528
Setting Sail and room service
Dream Shopping and Mirror Mirror
Animator's Palate
Evolution Match Your Mate and Cabanas breakfast
Senses/Rainforest
Nassau from Senses
District Lounge Tequila Class
More DVC swag and meeting friends on the way to Palo
Palo
Pirates Night Fireworks
Castaway Cay 5K
Serenity Bay & BBQ
More of Castaway
Shopping and spouts
Midship Detective Agency
Royal Palace Dinner
Royal Palace Breakfast and Disembarking
Bay Lake Tower Room 7514
Citricos and Wishes from BLT
/******************************************************************************************
All the covert pains in futility leading up to this ball of awesomeness can be had here:
Those banked points aren’t going to use themselves Part II: Code Name DMCA
You may or may not be happy to know that I’ve finally gotten past the pains of Operation DMCA failing at the hands of DCL. DCL’s inability to keep a secret allowed the DW to plan and draw out a long sense of anticipation and excitement, but I digress we’re here to move forward…right?

Flashback to September 15th, it’s time to blow this pop stand! I made every effort to load the car up as much the night before to reduce the scrambling we would have to do this morning. We had but two or three small bags to deal with still. While we were finishing up with the small bags the DD walks in and notices I’m packing the Magic Bands and TiW card. Mind you, she knew we were going on this cruise AND that we were staying at AKL before the boat. It wasn’t until this moment, though, that it hit her we would be visiting the parks too! She let out a “you’re going to the parks too!” which we delicately told her “yes we are”. I mean, hello! APs + three nights in AKL = “We going to the parks girl”. Obviously, I didn’t put it that way to her I was just surprised she hadn’t put it together that we would be visiting the parks. She would later call me that day to tell me that it “took her all morning to get over the devastation of us going to the parks without her”. Wow, punch in the gut right there! But moving on, the car is packed, we load up the DD, and head to the bus stop at 06:45 and wouldn’t you know the bus driver is early, almost as if that crotchety old guy knew we had places to be! So a quick hug and kiss goodbye and the DD is on the bus and the DW and I are Disney bound by 06:50, ten minutes ahead of schedule! The ATL, however, would soon squash my excitement. So after a QuickTrip visit in Dawsonville we got smashed in the face by probably the worst traffic east of California. What normally take 18 minutes, at 6AM, to get from North perimeter to south perimeter takes us an hour and twenty minutes! I was not happy to say the least but also not surprised, just foolishly optimistic. Once we hit 75 on the south side it was smooooth sailings all the way to the bubble! A few hours later and we were crossing the line:
20150915_115742.jpg

Seeing this sign always triggers that “Final Countdown” feeling in my head while the band Europe starts jamming out subconsciously. I’ve noted this in previous TRs but it’s worth point out again; SunPass is awesome! I fully regret not adopting the SunPass a lot sooner. It can be hard to express the feeling of joy while one just cruises through all those toll stops, ahhhhh. While I was enjoying the ease of SunPass I got “The Text”! You know, the room is ready! So the final countdown was short and despite the high levels of excitement we had arrived at the bubble and it was soon that our gaze fell upon the sign:
20150915_144145.jpg

I promise I was a good Disney citizen and did not stop to snap this picture. A few minutes later and we were arriving home!
20150915_144955.jpg

20150915_151951.jpg

I always love seeing this sign and hearing the CM’s welcoming us home when we arrive! Another thing I love, specifically about Jambo, is as soon as you pass through those sliding doors you’re hit with one of the most beautiful scents ever. The wood burning fragrance is all around you in the lobby and it works! Speaking of the lobby, I’ve been to all the deluxe lobbies and I still don’t think there is one that rivals AKL, I am biased of course ;)
20150915_151725.jpg

20150915_151719.jpg

Coming up: $88 gets you what?

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you for posting those lovely pictures of the flag ceremony. Even in the rain, it was very impressive. On my last trip, I took a rest break in front of City Hall, and was sitting on a bench on the porch. All of a sudden, I saw people entering the circle for the flag ceremony. There was a veteran who was also welcomed by the group. Really glad I had the opportunity to watch the whole ceremony. I'm pleased that Disney still observes this flag ceremony.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So after a great night of rest we awoke to coffee on the balcony for a short stint before we made our way to HS. We would also be changing rooms today so I made a trip to the front desk to see if, by chance, our room was ready. Unfortunately the room was not ready. No biggie, we left our luggage with bell service and decided to drive to HS today. HS had recently begun the rope drop opening procedure again, which I like. BUT while in line to scan our magic bands I heard the comment of the day that made the DW and I chuckle. To preface it, an additional MB scanner opened up at the far left of the queues and folks rushed over to get in that queue. One family, who had been way back in another queue, moved in front first cutting off many other families with strollers. One of the “stroller families” made a comment about them getting up front because they didn’t have a stroller when the family from the back fired back with:

“We never bothered with strollers, we just taught our kids to walk!”

Oh man did we enjoy that one! Anyway, we breached the main gates and found ourselves in the starting line of the TSMM.5K!

20150916_083519.jpg

Ahhhh, BAH, you are not missed! A few minutes of listening in to other’s strategies of how they will get to TSMM first and we were off, guided by CMs of course. This was a wing it day for us as, again, we were saving the FP+ for tonight at EC. We made quick time to the ride despite the stampede. This was actually our first time using the standby queue in about 5 years of visiting, always used fastpasses. I had forgotten how fun theming was!

20150916_085313.jpg

20150916_085431.jpg

20150916_085528.jpg

20150916_085803.jpg

20150916_090009.jpg

When it was all said and done I had just edged out the DW. Not my best score but bragging rights had been secured!

20150916_090647.jpg

20150916_090654.jpg

Arms fatigued from arcade action we made our way to ToT.

20150916_091154.jpg

In all our years of going I never noticed the standby time hit “13” so I was excited to nab a picture of this. DW promptly informs me that I'm nuts and it frequently happens…:cautious:

20150916_091334.jpg

Love the theming!

20150916_091648.jpg

20150916_091734.jpg

[URL='http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/lostpro9het/Sept%202015/20150916_092034.jpg%5b/img']http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/lostpro9het/Sept%202015/20150916_092034.jpg[/img[/URL]]

Up next: We make it a stretch, grab a snack, and bear witness to product licensing gluttony in all it’s glory!

Figment Forever

Great pictures of the Flag Retreat. We were walking by while it was taking place this past trip - now I wish I would have stopped and taken it in. This will now be on my "Must Do's" for our next trip! I also never knew about the 13 minute wait time for TOT. Following along!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
... I have heard that when the time says "13" it means no wait...was that right?
It was walk on!
This will now be on my "Must Do's" for our next trip! I also never knew about the 13 minute wait time for TOT. Following along!

It is worth the watch.

Sorry about the lack of updates! We've been without power all day and are still without it. Dang wind...

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So we last left off with a few terror filled elevator trips so now the natural progression is to get our rock on. 30minute standby wait means 5 minute single rider time! Hey, wait a minute! I like that idea!

20150916_092954.jpg

20150916_093136.jpg

20150916_093713.jpg

Aerosmith has been entertaining humans and canines for years!
20150916_095447.jpg

I gotta say, I felt BAD for this dog. The poor thing looked BEAT, as in tired, and appeared to be nervous a bit from all the people.

[soapboxtime]I sort of get the need for comfort dogs if they are needed but kindly consider the pooch more! I noted this dog had no paw protection and that is one thing that makes me mad! Folks walk around all day in sandals and shoes and never consider the pavement heat when dragging their dogs into that mess. The first thing I did when I got off the ride is put my hand on the pavement outside, gross I know but I wanted to know, Let me tell you folks it was HOT! Please, if you bring your pets to walk in the sun, kindly consider how hot that pavement is![/soapboxtime]

Exhale…. Ok so on our second time through on our super stretch my DW noticed this sign

20150916_094020.jpg

Being the perennial Elvis Presley fan in the house, he’s ok but I still say Neil Diamond is the better singer songwriter, the DW takes note of the message on this board and believes EPE is due some royalties. Any guesses why? It took me a minute too.

Elvis-Thank-You.jpg

After a few back stage passes were exhausted we decided it was snack time. So where better to get our snack on than Starring Rolls Café. As chance would have it a table opened up for as as we arrived and were able to enjoy these gems

20150916_101339.jpg

20150916_101345.jpg

Up next: Did you hear that the mouse owns the Jedi now?

ScarletBegonias

I saw that dog (or a dog just like that) on our trip! (which I think overlapped with yours) they were with a gentleman with a wheelchair. The dog laid quietly at Spice Road Table and jumped up for a second when Illuminations started, he laid back down right after, but I did feel sorry for him a bit.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So with our bellies full we took a leisurely stroll towards something that was most interesting to me!
20150916_104110.jpg

This place was AMAZING!! I could have spent an hour or more in here if I didn’t value my DW so much, she was a good sport about my childish fascination with the store.
Airspeeder out front
20150916_104129.jpg

They had tons of artwork lining the walls for sale
20150916_104208.jpg

20150916_104323.jpg

20150916_104236.jpg

20150916_104642.jpg

20150916_104601.jpg

20150916_104648.jpg

20150916_104417.jpg

For whatever reason, though, this one stood out to me the most. It’s so simple and so awesome at the same time!
20150916_104434.jpg

20150916_104434-1.jpg

We mustn’t forget the MagicBands!
20150916_104300.jpg

Probably the funniest shirt we saw.
20150916_104331.jpg

Again, theming was well done!
20150916_104541.jpg

20150916_104834.jpg

And great use of props to show off the merchandise.
20150916_104618.jpg

After thoroughly boring the DW it was time to make our way to TGMR, by way of the most indirect route of course!

Still to come: No gangsters but the most enthusiastic tour guide Hollywood had to offer.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
I LOVED WATTO'S GROTTO! All-caps loved it :D I could have spent a fortune in there. My husband wanted some of the lego sets really badly, but he was good. Did they have the talking Yoda out for y'all?
No, not at this time. The staff had a fleet of BB-8's out roaming the store showing off.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I gotta say, I felt BAD for this dog. The poor thing looked BEAT, as in tired, and appeared to be nervous a bit from all the people.

[soapboxtime]I sort of get the need for comfort dogs if they are needed but kindly consider the pooch more! I noted this dog had no paw protection and that is one thing that makes me mad! Folks walk around all day in sandals and shoes and never consider the pavement heat when dragging their dogs into that mess. The first thing I did when I got off the ride is put my hand on the pavement outside, gross I know but I wanted to know, Let me tell you folks it was HOT! Please, if you bring your pets to walk in the sun, kindly consider how hot that pavement is![/soapboxtime]

I can't even imagine how hot the pavement must be in that stifling Florida sun. Dogs' paws need protection from extremes in temperature, whether high heat, or subzero cold. It's so easy to bring booties along for the dogs if they have to accompany someone in the parks.

lostpro9het

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom