Old Town - Kissimmee

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
So, I have questions about Old Town in Kissimmee. How long has it been there? Were the buildings originally built as tourist shops and attractions, or did they originally have a different purpose? All of the buildings seem pretty old. I can't seem to find any history available on Old Town.

If you're not familiar with Old Town, its located in Kissimmee off of US-192 in one of the long tourist stretches, not too far from WDW. Its a stretch of buildings that contain gift shops, restaurants, bars, and other various tourist traps. I describe it as the type of stuff you might find along a touristy beach or boardwalk, only not actually along any water.

Old Town is home to some rides, go-cart tracks, and other attractions. It is free to park and walk around, but you must purchase tickets to do the attractions. The Kissimmee Skycoaster sits next door, and about 5 or 6 years ago, Fun Spot built a second location around the Skycoaster and is adjacent to Old Town but not affiliated. IE - an "all day ride ticket" for Old Town will not work on Fun Spot USA's rides.

MOXOMUMD

Friends rode the skycoaster years ago and said never again. Although they did laugh the whole time. We usually have late flights and I think the skycoaster lit up at night is so neat!

Leolioness4200

How about the car show/parade that takes place on Saturday nights? Is it worth going to check out? My fiance is a HUGE car guy and I would like to surprise him with going to this if the cars are worth taking a look at.....

Fantasmic

It's been there ever since I can remember and I've been visiting the mouse since 1989. Wikipedia says 1980s, I'd say that was right, I don't think the buildings were there before old town was.

NiarrNDisney

Bump (ducks flying shoe to head)

Ok so I did a little looking online on this place and now I am curious! Is this place worth a gander?
Dare I bother? Has anyone been on the rollercoasters and found it worthwhile?
Or should I just forget I even saw this place marked on Google maps?

cheezbat

Bump (ducks flying shoe to head)

Ok so I did a little looking online on this place and now I am curious! Is this place worth a gander?
Dare I bother? Has anyone been on the rollercoasters and found it worthwhile?
Or should I just forget I even saw this place marked on Google maps?
Old Town is nothing more than shopping now. (And I think one walkthrough haunted attraction.) The roller coasters and amusement rides have been removed. If you want rides I'd suggest going over to Fun Spot instead.

NiarrNDisney

Old Town is nothing more than shopping now. (And I think one walkthrough haunted attraction.) The roller coasters and amusement rides have been removed. If you want rides I'd suggest going over to Fun Spot instead.

Oh thank you I think we will just skip it and have lunch in Celebration instead!
I noticed Fun Spot has a Crazy Mouse Coaster much like Primeval Whirl and some carnival rides though the one by Wet and Wild seems to have a nice wooden coaster I wouldn't mind riding otherwise my interest is limited

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Some recent news about renovations has answered my original questions:

http://www.myoldtownusa.com/public/Media.cfm
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...-town-kissimmee-renovation-20150729-post.html

Built in 1986.
Oh thank you I think we will just skip it and have lunch in Celebration instead!
I noticed Fun Spot has a Crazy Mouse Coaster much like Primeval Whirl and some carnival rides though the one by Wet and Wild seems to have a nice wooden coaster I wouldn't mind riding otherwise my interest is limited
The wooden coaster at the Fun Spot by Universal and Wet and Wild is actually really good! The go-cart tracks are pretty fun, too.

cheezbat

That's probably a better idea.

Honestly, the International Drive Fun Spot location has more to offer than its Kissimmee Counterpart. Both coasters are pretty fun too!

NiarrNDisney

Some recent news about renovations has answered my original questions:

http://www.myoldtownusa.com/public/Media.cfm
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...-town-kissimmee-renovation-20150729-post.html

Built in 1986.

The wooden coaster at the Fun Spot by Universal and Wet and Wild is actually really good! The go-cart tracks are pretty fun, too.

Thank you! Sounds to me like Old Town is attempting to find a new image but seems to be in a bit of a limbo, so maybe we will skip I this time around. The Fun Spots wooden coaster is calling me so I am certainly heading there this year!

smbarr

That's really disappointing to hear about Old Town. I remember going there as a kid, walking around and having so much fun. I was looking forward to stopping by on my visit, but it doesn't sound like it will be worth it.

raven

Old Town has become more "Mold Town" lately. Attractions and stores are closing, parking is very limited and the whole clientele has bottomed out.

Bairstow

Old Town has become more "Mold Town" lately. Attractions and stores are closing, parking is very limited and the whole clientele has bottomed out.

Yeah, we visited 2 weeks ago and weren't impressed at all.

Fun Spot built a second location around the Skycoaster and is adjacent to Old Town but not affiliated. IE - an "all day ride ticket" for Old Town will not work on Fun Spot USA's rides.

As of 2015, this is no longer the case- buying an all-day ticket to Fun Spot Orlando will also get you all-day access to everything at Fun Spot Kissimee
I have to say, though- Fun Spot Orlando is a lot more, well, fun. For one, it's surgical ward-clean, and has a lot of unique things to do like the White Lightning wooden coaster (an amazing little ride for its size) and adorable little Gator Spot. Fun Spot Kissimee has some neat things that might be worth your time if they interest you, like Rockstar and more varied go-kart options (like a road course, slick track, and vortex coaster) but I just didn't like it as much as the shiny new Orlando location.

Still, if you've got the time and like coasters go-karts and want a break from the hustle-bustle of the main theme parks, Fun Spot(s) is a real treat.

I do have to give a shout out to the staff at the Kissimee spot, though- they happily changed a $5 bill into quarters for me so that we could make it through the local toll roads back to Sanford.
Thanks, guys!

NiarrNDisney

Yeah, we visited 2 weeks ago and weren't impressed at all.

As of 2015, this is no longer the case- buying an all-day ticket to Fun Spot Orlando will also get you all-day access to everything at Fun Spot Kissimee
I have to say, though- Fun Spot Orlando is a lot more, well, fun. For one, it's surgical ward-clean, and has a lot of unique things to do like the White Lightning wooden coaster (an amazing little ride for its size) and adorable little Gator Spot. Fun Spot Kissimee has some neat things that might be worth your time if they interest you, like Rockstar and more varied go-kart options (like a road course, slick track, and vortex coaster) but I just didn't like it as much as the shiny new Orlando location.

Still, if you've got the time and like coasters go-karts and want a break from the hustle-bustle of the main theme parks, Fun Spot(s) is a real treat.

I do have to give a shout out to the staff at the Kissimee spot, though- they happily changed a $5 bill into quarters for me so that we could make it through the local toll roads back to Sanford.
Thanks, guys!

This makes me wonder why they just don't merge the two locations and make one large park so its more of destination!

Bairstow

This makes me wonder why they just don't merge the two locations and make one large park so its more of destination!

Well they certainly seem to be focusing all their love on the newer Orlando location.
We dropped by a year ago and only paid to ride White Lightning and left, and they've added a ton of stuff since then.
I don't know what would gained by merging them, really. Two locations means more visibility and it doesn't seem like the Orlando location needs more go-kart options.

Fun Spot and Old Town, two different owners. You can walk around between the two because neither charges entry admission, but as Tom Morrow pointed out, there's no ride-ticket reciprocity. Currently, it looks like Old Town attractions are "cash only" anyway.

Old Town went through bankruptcy a couple years back and is now under new management:

http://tourism.blogs.theledger.com/11062/new-owners-begin-renovations-of-old-town-usa/

Bairstow

Fun Spot and Old Town, two different owners. You can walk around between the two because neither charges entry admission, but as Tom Morrow pointed out, there's no ride-ticket reciprocity. Currently, it looks like Old Town attractions are "cash only" anyway.

Old Town went through bankruptcy a couple years back and is now under new management:

http://tourism.blogs.theledger.com/11062/new-owners-begin-renovations-of-old-town-usa/

Yes, but all the rides still on-site at the Old Town area are operated by Funspot Kissimee, and they do have ticket reciprocity with their Orlando location.

Fun Spot Orlando (near I-Drive) and Fun Spot Kissimmee (next to Old Town USA) have ticket reciprocity.
Old Town USA is under separate ownership and has no reciprocity with Fun Spot's Kissimmee location next to it.

Most of the Old Town USA rides were removed. You can see where Windstorm used to be on Google Earth. At least the ferris wheel is supposed to come back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom