DLR Food: Where to eat and where not to!

George Lucas on a Bench

The thing is, Disneyland doesn't have good burgers. Traditional, veggie, chicken, whatever. They're all mediocre or flat-out bad. The best you can do is Taste Pilots Grill, I mean Smokejumpers, where you can Frankenstein a burger/sandwich with the toppings bar. It's no Pecos Bill Magic Kingdom toppings bar, but it's the best they've got.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Anybody know if Blue Bayou is still good. Have not been out to DL since 2007. Some reviews lately have me wondering if BB has gone down hill somewhat. Loved the prime rib there.

My husband and I ate there about a month ago. We did the Fantasmic dinning package. I enjoyed my beef tenderloin and my husband liked his surf and turf. The cake we got for dessert was a little dry and I thought the gumbo needed a little more seasoning. It was an enjoyable meal and the atmosphere was fine. But we enjoyed our meals at Carthay Circle and Steakhouse 55 much more.

And since there has been some talk about burgers on here, I would like to say that the pastrami burger I had at Pinocchio's Village Haus was pretty good. The pastrami was lean and the grilled onions were really tasty on the burger. That vote for best counter service burger.

PrincessJenn5795

I actually forgot about the breakfast buffets at the Plaza Inn and Storytellers Cafe. I do recommend these. Storytellers has the better selection of food, but Plaza Inn has the superior atmosphere. Either way, you win. Tons of food, all-you-can-eat Mickey Waffles, endless coffee, characters walking around. One of the only times I've really been satisfied with dining at Disney.
I agree with you about Storytellers! I swear they put crack in that French toast it so addicting!

My favorites are:
Cafe Orleans (DL) (I know it isn't really quick service)
Plaza Inn (DL)
Carthay Circle (DCA)(This isn't either)
Tortilla Joes (DTD)
Rancho del Zocolo (DL)
Flo's V8 (especially for the tamale breakfast thing- delicious!)
Pacific Wharf Cafe

I don't eat read meat at all, and I try to eat pretty healthy with limited fried food (except Plaza Inn chicken), so it can be tricky to find a lot of items that are tasty at the quick service places. All these places offer good options for me.

GiveMeTheMusic

I agree with you about Storytellers! I swear they put crack in that French toast it so addicting!

My favorites are:
Cafe Orleans (DL) (I know it isn't really quick service)
Plaza Inn (DL)
Carthay Circle (DCA)(This isn't either)
Tortilla Joes (DTD)
Rancho del Zocolo (DL)
Flo's V8 (especially for the tamale breakfast thing- delicious!)
Pacific Wharf Cafe

I don't eat read meat at all, and I try to eat pretty healthy with limited fried food (except Plaza Inn chicken), so it can be tricky to find a lot of items that are tasty at the quick service places. All these places offer good options for me.

Next time try Paradise Garden Grill. You'll swear you aren't in a theme park. Very healthy, never a wait, always amazing. :)

PrincessJenn5795

Next time try Paradise Garden Grill. You'll swear you aren't in a theme park. Very healthy, never a wait, always amazing. :)

I tried it once, and was not at all impressed, but it was about a week after they opened so they may have just not had all the kinks worked out. There was a huge line for really dry chicken, and I was really bummed because I had been excited about it. I should give them another try though.

aprincessatlasst

I

But my one experience with the fried chicken has turned me off it. Maybe it was too hyped?
I'm Southern, I know fried chicken. Plaza Inn? just not that amazing.

Well for someone who grew up in the home state of KFC, I will disagree. So yeah I am southern and I know Fried chicken. Plaza Inn was some of the best if not the best fried chicken I have ever had. It without a doubt lived up to the hype for me and my whole family. Perhaps since you said once it was just on off day as that does happen in all restuarants.

I found the list by the OP to be good. As far as the guy making a meal off the toppings at the salad bar :depressed: well yeah not sure I will be taking his recommendations on good food.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
After yesterday's discussion about Plaza Inn's fried chicken, I was inspired to visit and eat it for my dinner during my late Disneyland visit last night. I discovered double mashed potatoes is an option. Score.

WP_20150904_22_19_06_Pro.jpg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
After yesterday's discussion about Plaza Inn's fried chicken, I was inspired to visit and eat it for my dinner during my late Disneyland visit last night. I discovered double mashed potatoes is an option. Score.

View attachment 109369

I kind of dislike you right now because of this post! I'm really jealous of your chicken and the double mashed potatoes. :) I really hope you enjoyed it and in December I know I will enjoy it too!

George Lucas on a Bench

I've never eaten it, but my friends have gotten the French Quarter Chicken at French Market and I was impressed by the portion size.

I'm a fan of the corn chowder.

View attachment 109369

Dodged another meetup!

Last edited:

mickEblu

Plaza Inn is DELICIOUS. I love the old school feel too. I recently did the double mash but i missed the crunch you get with the Greens.

My wife and I did the Blue Bayou Fantasmic dining package a few months ago because I hadn't seen Fantasmic since like 1996 and I had never eaten at the Blue Bayou. I have to say my surf and turf was quite enjoyable. Maybe it was the the awesome atmosphere or the table on the water. Maybe it was finally eating at the famous restaurant I had been passing while riding Pirates of the Caribbean since I was like 6 years old. Or maybe it was my rock bottom expectations from years of reading how bad the food is there. Probably all three. But really it was pretty good. I definitely enjoyed it more than the over hyped dinner I had at Carthay. Pork chop, cheddar biscuits, and potstickers (If I remember correctly) were all just ok. I don't remember my wifes entree or the other appetizer we got.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Oh, I wish I had thought to ask for double mashed. I still enjoyed at least half my veggies, though, as you can see from my before and after pics:

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3539.JPG

Based on your pictures, I can see I'm not the only one who's not a fan of the vegetables. LOL.

We are going at the crazy time in December. We will be there from December 29-January 2. So if you want to brave the crowds for chicken we are always up for Plaza chicken.:)

Sounds like a plan!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom