Tipping is this fair ?

s8film40

I really have no sympathy for a server who circles "tip not included" I wouldn't personally stiff them but doing that is not appropriate. Actually though in a lot of cases that's probably a sign your dealing with a server or restaurant that probably experiences tipping issues. Having experience with a lot of people in the hospitality jobs especially at Disney I will say a lot them develop and work under their perceptions of what people will tip. Sometimes circling "tip not included" for example is just a last ditch effort to get a tip for when they think they might not (free dining period would be a good example). Also when a server comes out takes the order and does the least amount possible many times this is because they've given up. Either they've already been stiffed multiple times during the shift and have just lost the will or for whatever reason perceive that that particular guest isn't going to tip.

jaklgreen

You know, I do not appreciate being accused of being a troll just because I have an opinion that is not PC. There are a lot of people out there who went to college and worked diligently to obtain a degree yet don’t make the kind of money Disney waiters do (rather, feel entitled to). If you want to pay white-collar wages to a person who shuffles food for a living, then have at it but I am not going to compensate someone with a paycheck similar to or greater than a person who worked their tail off at college and earned a degree.

This is one of the most uneducated statements I have heard. You don't know who the people are that are working in the food service industry. I do so because it gives me the flexibility to be home with my children and not put them in daycare not because I am too stupid or lazy to get a "real job" and yes I am educated. And trust me when I tell you that there are plenty of college educated "smart" people that have come and "worked" at the job that I am working at and were too stupid to figure out how to actually do the job proficiently. It is not as easy as someone who has never worked food might think. And not only is it a very physically demanding job running around for 7-8 hours a day on your feet with the majority of days without any break, you have to put up with people like you who treat us like a stupid idiot. No one should ever look down on someone with an honest job. The people who should be scorned are the drains on society, welfare queens, drug dealers, deadbeat dads, not hard working people. Only in this country is it looked down upon to work in food. Most other countries it is a good, respected job that pays well so people can support their families. This idea that a person should only get paid well if they go to college is idiotic. Until recently most jobs/careers where taught on the job in apprenticeships. Any idiot can pay a college to get a degree, a smart person that does not make.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
"TIPS not included" really shouldn't be an issue. A server pointing this out isn't really going to ruin the experience provided there was good service overall for the duration of the time spent. I've had many excellent servers and a few bad ones. TIPS (To Insure Prompt Service) are given in accordance with the service that is given.

Last edited:

NonnaT

You know, I do not appreciate being accused of being a troll just because I have an opinion that is not PC. There are a lot of people out there who went to college and worked diligently to obtain a degree yet don’t make the kind of money Disney waiters do (rather, feel entitled to). If you want to pay white-collar wages to a person who shuffles food for a living, then have at it but I am not going to compensate someone with a paycheck similar to or greater than a person who worked their tail off at college and earned a degree.
HOLY COW!!! I hope I never EVER run into you EVER! I am astounded at your unkind and cutting tongue. Your broad generalizations of other people are disingenuous... I think you're just attempting to bait people on the forum. Please stop for everyone's sake.

rricks26

The tip is a servers commission. The more expensive the restaurant and the better the salesman, the more commission they make. That's why in buffets, character dining and, signature dining, the servers are generally older and have been with the company longer. They have worked their way up to a more expensive restaurant and thus making a higher wage because of it. Getting a serving job anywhere at Disney isn't easy and requires at least three years experience. It's like the difference between a high end car sales man and a used car sales man.

You wouldn't tell your furniture sales man, car sales man, realtor ect. they don't deserve the full commission. So what makes servers different? The only difference is that the guest is fully conscious of the wage they are giving the server unlike a sales based job where it's not common knowledge how much is being made off a sale.

wdwjmp239

Having been in the restaurant industry for ten years, I can honestly say this. Food servers (whether they're bad or good) do not have to be tipped. This is purely optional on the customer, but for the server to just make minimum wage is not enough to live on, so if they can score a couple of hundred a night in tips, then that helps them greatly! :)

I had friends who worked in the various Disney restaurants back in the late 90s/early 2000s who were making some pretty good money! One of them convinced me to jump back into the industry (after already being out of the restaurant industry for 5 years at that point), but since then they all moved on to other careers (outside of Disney) and when they come back to vacation with their families, they tip rather substantially. In my case, I tip rather substantially on the TOTAL! If you are using a discount card (DVC Membership Card, Annual Passholder, etc), then you are to tip on the total BEFORE the discount is applied.

In the states, some restaurants may apply a gratuity to a bill and that has to be told to the customer up front either by the server, manager, or even in the menu somewhere. For example, my brother and I went to Bongo's (Disney Springs/Downtown Disney) on Sunday night (9/6/15) and ran up a pretty decent bar bill. When the check came out, we noticed a gratuity line item that was 18% of the bill. This is a guaranteed tip for the server. If we wanted to tip more, then that's on us. But, the 18% in that bill was enough for the server and the server was good enough to deserve the 18%.

So, a friendly piece of advise for our European friends who come over and spend their hard earned dime at Disney - just keep in mind that the folks who work in the restaurant industry work as hard as they can to earn that tip! They're working people and they have families to support, roofs to keep over their heads, bills to pay, etc. Even if your server is having a bad day and you're still enjoying your food and ambiance of the restaurant? Throw a little something their way for trying. :)

Tony the Tigger

I don't really want to reopen this controversial topic but I would like to know what you think of how we plan to tip at WDW . I'am happy to tip the normal amounts for bags valet parking bar staff etc but when it comes to tipping in restaurants I have come up with this for a family of four eating (3 course) at a signature restaurant.

We will gave between 15 and 25 dollars depending on service, top end if they exceed our expected level of service bottom if its a normal level . If service is poor too slow rude etc we will not pay any tip and will make a formal complaint after first taking the matter up with the waiter .

We will not pay any extra for wine service unless they show expertise and then not a % (I've worked in the wine trade for 30 years ) but then only around $10 regardless of the wine cost . Wine sales in restaurants are a massive profit earner so we will not pay a % on already very inflated prices .

This is based on a 3 course meal for 4 with wine, cheaper meals we will pay 15 to 20 % of the food cost less tax and wine but that % will not exceed the 15 to 25 $ its no more work to serve more expensive food .

Florida minimum tipped wage is $4.91 assuming each waiter is tipped 15 $ per table and they serve 3 tables per hour for 6 hours inc lunch and dinner on a 8 hour day they should earn around $310 a day five days a week 48 weeks a year not bad even after tax .

It's all much easier here in europe service is always included. I often add to the bill if service is very good but I have also had the service charge removed if it was poor. I'not suggesting the USA should change its not for me to say .

I know this is a controversial subject for many especially for those who do the waiting on but just wanted to know your opinions and not offend anyone .

You are ridiculous and should not ever eat out in a restaurant.

MissingDisney

A good number of those WDW servers have college degrees and are working hard to pay off all that student loan debt.
During our dining experiences at WDW, We have had the good fortune of meeting many wonderful folks who have put decades into careers of varying types-professional, white collar, blue collar, technical, medical, etc. who have returned to the workforce at Disney to help put their children and grandchildren through college. Their stories and lives are amazing if you have moments to share with them during your meals and conversation.

At this Piece of Ship who thinks Working in the food service field at Disney makes these folks inferior - Five or ten years ago that server may have been performing your (you are a 'Mom', right?) mammogram or doing your blood work to screen you or your loved one for cancer. Would you have treated them like garbage then? Probably not. Some of these folks have served our country, devoted years to careers of assisting others, etc. Uneducated they are not. They are educated by life, if nothing else, and that's just fine. As far as many are concerned, they get an honorary Ph. D. to deal with the likes of some of the self righteous, demanding, rude guests that they have the displeasure of meeting everyday. You know, the kind that think they're better than other people. College credit proves you attended class and took tests, not that you necessarily learned anything.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

I went to Ohana last night and my service was horrible. I was solo, I had a great seat overlooking the water and castle. But, the refills on food took forever. The second server was rude - I mentioned to him there was no salt/pepper and could I have some he rolled his eyes. Then I was never brought the wet clothes or water. After mentioning to the head server I had been sitting there and no grilled meats brought and my plate sitting empty (well after I finished the apps) things improved. Then I had more food I could eat. I ended up leaving the standard tip but I was dissapointed with my meal experience.

ToTBellHop

I went to Ohana last night and my service was horrible. I was solo, I had a great seat overlooking the water and castle. But, the refills on food took forever. The second server was rude - I mentioned to him there was no salt/pepper and could I have some he rolled his eyes. Then I was never brought the wet clothes or water. After mentioning to the head server I had been sitting there and no grilled meats brought and my plate sitting empty (well after I finished the apps) things improved. Then I had more food I could eat. I ended up leaving the standard tip but I was dissapointed with my meal experience.
I had a similar experience at 'Ohana with just my wife and I. We anecdotally noticed that families seemed to get better service with more drink and food refills. I somehow doubt that is a systematic oversight though. Probably just a crappy server. Sorry to hear you had a crappy one, too. Food still good?

disney4life2008

I had a similar experience at 'Ohana with just my wife and I. We anecdotally noticed that families seemed to get better service with more drink and food refills. I somehow doubt that is a systematic oversight though. Probably just a crappy server. Sorry to hear you had a crappy one, too. Food still good?

Food was amazing, just crappy service. I notice the servers tend to pay more attention to families and large groups. Unlike many other places, i will continue to go because of the food.

Lirael

I think that when it comes to circling "tip not included" it might not necessarily be a case of entitlement, specially at Disney.

Tipping varies according to each culture, and maybe some servers at disney started doing it in case the table is from somewhere tipping is already included (like my country) or there is no tipping.

Duckberg

Regarding bad service @ Ohana's. I recommend an immediate chat with your server, if they want a 20% tip they need to start hopin NOW. Your paying good money to eat there. This has worked for me in the past there and I've never had to go to the next level or go into a full Donald Duck angry customer mode. ;)

jaklgreen

The last time we went to Ohana's was a couple of years ago and, of course, they were super busy. Service was not great but we watched our server and she had way too many tables. IDK if that was normal but she was busting her behind off and still could not get around to all of the tables she had. This should not happen, if you are short staffed then the manager should help out more. We used to be regulars 15-20 years ago but we do not like the changes they made. All of the meat had this sticky super sweet glaze over it. So everything tasted the same and we do not like sweet meat. Probably will not go back unless they change things again. Which is a shame because there is much we like but the main item, the meat was not good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom