WDW to Shut Down Character Dubsmashes

asianway

Dustin Hayes is a WDW fan who left his small Midwestern town to become a WDW employee. In his offtime he takes funny pics with the characters adding hilarious bylines, and is best known for his dubsmashes. His nickname is "The Character Queen."

He's hilarious. Recently he had some dubsmash videos with characters that went viral - internationally. Just a small sampling of where it was covered: USA Today, HuffPO, Daily Mail (UK) to Australia.

On his fb wall you see stories from fans - from little old ladies and parents of kids undergoing chemo - his vids make them smile.

2 weeks ago I was in the ER with my 5 year old who was having an allergic reaction to an insect bite. They were trying to give her an IV, and she was hysterical. I pulled out my phone to show her one of his dubsmashes and she forgot about them inserting the IV - she went from crying to laughing, IV got in and we sat there for an hour running a couple of his videos over and over to keep her happy/calm.

Besides bringing joy to countless strangers around the world with his creative videos, he's yet another example of a WDW employee who brought TONS of positive PR for the company, then this happened...

View attachment 109163

The only thing I can think of is that after Dustin's success, they are seeing the "oh-so-original" copy-cats who may not be as respectful of character integrity with songs and things that may be disrespectful.

I hope they make an exception for him. If not, it's just another bad decision by the park.

Way to go WDW, something is cool and creative and you find a way to put an end to it.

First viral Gaston is let go and now this guy can't continue to make people happy - and you can tell both of these guys LOVE WDW... WD Parks, you are missing some amazing free PR.

SMH.
Finally they did the right thing and shut someone down. The guy wasn't doing to highlight the characters he was doing it to build his own brand. Bravo hopefully he isn't the last.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Finally they did the right thing and shut someone down. The guy wasn't doing to highlight the characters he was doing it to build his own brand. Bravo hopefully he isn't the last.

I didn't see it that way - I don't think he's profiting from it?

I just thought it was funny, entertaining and creative. It made people happy (seriously brought joy to a very young cancer patient - the mom posted on his page - the child was too sick to make a trip to WDW so they would watch his videos and the child loved it).

The world has enough bad news lately - I'd hate to be cynical about this.

Nick Wilde

I just thought it was funny, entertaining and creative. It made people happy (seriously brought joy to a very young cancer patient - the mom posted on his page - the child was too sick to make a trip to WDW so they would watch his videos and the child loved it).

I checked out his official YT channel. He only has 400 subs, so he's not making any money. He's just having fun, and it's funny, and he's just posting it so others can laugh with him. He's not making money or doing it selfishly.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes, but if it brings a smile to someone, why not? This is creative and fun.

Now if it's a 13 year old dubsmash of Mikey Cyrus... For no reason???

Get me that sledgehammer.

Again I just don't understand the obsession of apps like your Twitters, Infowhatsit's, and whozamafudge..A phone is just to be used to call someone....I have a simple phone..

asianway

There are easy ways to profit from that kind of exposure-see any of the big blogs.

Dubsmashing is not consistent with character branding and is now officially noted. It just isn't good show no matter how clever this one attempt is.

Those of you who follow my posts know I'm one of creative entertainments toughest critics but for once they got it right.

Nick Wilde

Again I just don't understand the obsession of apps like your Twitters, Infowhatsit's, and whozamafudge..A phone is just to be used to call someone....I have a simple phone..
Social media is used to connect with others and share experiences. A phone is used to call someone. A smartphone is used to connect and interact with other people in any way, shape, or form.

lazyboy97o

That's not a valid reason, just emotional exploitation as a way of justifying something he should have foreseen his employer taking issue with.

PhotoDave219

Dustin Hayes is a WDW fan who left his small Midwestern town to become a WDW employee. In his offtime he takes funny pics with the characters adding hilarious bylines, and is best known for his dubsmashes. His nickname is "The Character Queen."

He's hilarious. Recently he had some dubsmash videos with characters that went viral - internationally. Just a small sampling of where it was covered: USA Today, HuffPO, Daily Mail (UK) to Australia.

On his fb wall you see stories from fans - from little old ladies and parents of kids undergoing chemo - his vids make them smile.

2 weeks ago I was in the ER with my 5 year old who was having an allergic reaction to an insect bite. They were trying to give her an IV, and she was hysterical. I pulled out my phone to show her one of his dubsmashes and she forgot about them inserting the IV - she went from crying to laughing, IV got in and we sat there for an hour running a couple of his videos over and over to keep her happy/calm.

Besides bringing joy to countless strangers around the world with his creative videos, he's yet another example of a WDW employee who brought TONS of positive PR for the company, then this happened...

View attachment 109163

The only thing I can think of is that after Dustin's success, they are seeing the "oh-so-original" copy-cats who may not be as respectful of character integrity with songs and things that may be disrespectful.

I hope they make an exception for him. If not, it's just another bad decision by the park.

Way to go WDW, something is cool and creative and you find a way to put an end to it.

First viral Gaston is let go and now this guy can't continue to make people happy - and you can tell both of these guys LOVE WDW... WD Parks, you are missing some amazing free PR.

SMH.

We've been discussing in the past few months how entertainment is cracking down on Social Media and Instagram and the like and people trying to become social media stars. We've discussed how no one is bigger than the show. We've discussed how the union and Disney are at odds over the issue, with the union wanting the language inserted into the contract.

This is a prime example of what Disney is talking about and why these issues are so important.

PhotoDave219

I see your point, but this is just an example of what Disney is trying to fight. You have CMs trying to be bigger than the show itself and essentially, Disney is simply telling him to "knock off the crap."

He's not being terminated, doesnt appear to be reprimanded or anything else, but simply told to knock it off.

Whether someone profits from infringing on copyrighted works is irrelevant to the law and the courts; infringement is exactly that - infringement.

asianway

I see your point, but this is just an example of what Disney is trying to fight. You have CMs trying to be bigger than the show itself and essentially, Disney is simply telling him to "knock off the crap."

He's not being terminated, doesnt appear to be reprimanded or anything else, but simply told to knock it off.

Whether someone profits from infringing on copyrighted works is irrelevant to the law and the courts; infringement is exactly that - infringement.
One of those segments he's in costume wearing a name tag on the roof of BLT. That merits a reprimand

JoeRohdesEarring

Putting aside the fact that I personally find Dubsmash to be lame and profoundly annoying, it is easy to see why Disney would not want its carefully managed characters associated with songs and musicians whose image could be considered inappropriate. In the one clip posted above, one of the songs used is "Chandelier" which is about Sia's battle with alcoholism which is probably not a connection Disney would like. Also, the bit with Sulley is set to "The Monster" and although he only uses the clean Rihanna part, it is an Eminem song with explicit lyrics.

There is too much about the idea that Disney can't control, and if there is one thing Disney loves...

Matt_Black

Either way, its a CM trying to be bigger than the show.

CMs should know better - The Show is the only Star.

big-show-02.jpg]

Anyway, I do find it a bit hypocritical, as Disney is often encouraging fans to do stuff like this on social media for other things. Ant-Man, for instance, had Disney promoting it by encouraging Dubsmashes.

PhotoDave219

big-show-02.jpg]

Anyway, I do find it a bit hypocritical, as Disney is often encouraging fans to do stuff like this on social media for other things. Ant-Man, for instance, had Disney promoting it by encouraging Dubsmashes.

There's a big difference between a fan talking up a movie and an employee doing what he was doing.

Mostly that he's an employee and there's been repeated memos and warnings in reference to social media as well as new policies created and issued. If Disney wanted to go and make an example of him, they'd be well within their rights to do so for completely ignoring the new policies. Instead, simply was let off lightly.

Not bad for a company that has zero qualms about firing anyone at the drop of a hat for any reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom