AKL- Savannah view- is it worth it?

Distant

Original Poster
Thanks so much to everyone!! I followed the advice and kept 1 Savanna view room while downgrading the other 2 to a "pool view." I'm not sure what that means but I'm sure it will be nice.
I talked to the CM this morning and she was an all-star! So helpful.

Thanks again for everyone's help- it was very informative.

JasonDeyoung

I've stayed in the savannah view as well as standard view and as awesome as it is. I doubt I'd pay for it again. It's cool and all to look out and see animals, but realistically as much as you're actually in the room. To me, it just doesn't justify or make sense. If you're planning to spend more time enjoying the resort than the parks, then it could be more beneficial. I was just as happy with looking out at the trees and awesome sunsets as I was waking up to some animals. But, it's different with each person

jenos0524

Please reply back how you enjoyed the Pool view. I have a trip booked for August 2016 with my Daughter (her first trip). She loves animals, but I decided to book WL instead of AKL this time due to being close to MK, but now that there may be a lot of construction i was debating on booking a Pool View at AKL. I know some people don't like to pay for the upgrade on rooms but my opinion is.. I am already spending thousands to go to Disney whats 5-6 hundred more for the Better view. FYI last time I was there some Pool Views could see the animals in the distance, not sure if trees have taken that view away or not by now though. Have fun on your trip!

JasonDeyoung

Please reply back how you enjoyed the Pool view. I have a trip booked for August 2016 with my Daughter (her first trip). She loves animals, but I decided to book WL instead of AKL this time due to being close to MK, but now that there may be a lot of construction i was debating on booking a Pool View at AKL. I know some people don't like to pay for the upgrade on rooms but my opinion is.. I am already spending thousands to go to Disney whats 5-6 hundred more for the Better view. FYI last time I was there some Pool Views could see the animals in the distance, not sure if trees have taken that view away or not by now though. Have fun on your trip!
I stayed in the standard room once which was directly across from the pool view rooms. Location wise they are great rooms, some pool view rooms I believe can be obstructed by the trees. Overall though they are great rooms. I was actually looking into a pool view at AKL myself for the spring

dreamfinder

The pool view rooms really only overlook the pool. (You can see the resort map here -> http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/maps/gallery/13nov2013-new-look-2013-resort-hotel-maps/19869.htm) I guess you may be able to see edge of the Uzima savanna if your room was in the perfect place, but that would be a stretch. (There are some birds down past the pool, with a very small patch of savanna, but most of the savanna is really out at/past the 1400 wing. We have had a pool view twice now I think, and my DW has never been impressed. Mostly because of the afternoon pool games (they were during her afternoon nap/relaxation time) which were quite loud and could be heard through the closed patio door. If you aren't going to be in the room in the afternoon, or plan on joining the fun, then it's not a problem at all.
That said, I thought it was kinda cool seeing the mist rise from the pool in the early mornings.

riogirl

we just returned from our first stay at AKL and I actually was very happy that we did not book a savanah view. we had pool view on the 3rd floor-giraffe trail near lobby and our view was beautiful! there are soooo many other places to watch the animals and truth be told, every time we went looking-we may have seen a zebra or giraffe in the distance. definitely not close enough to pay so much extra for a room that you probably will not be in for long stretches of time. also you have to remember that it gets dark early when you are going so it may not even be easy to see animals when you are in the room. have a blast

DABIGCHEEZ

Thanks so much to everyone!! I followed the advice and kept 1 Savanna view room while downgrading the other 2 to a "pool view." I'm not sure what that means but I'm sure it will be nice.

It is very hard not enjoy the place, ANYWHERE in Jambo or Kidani. Be sure to post back what your thoughts were AFTER your stay. Have Fun!

disney4life2008

I am too much of a cheap skate, i would never pay more than $100 for a hotel room period. But, of course i thoroughly enjoy the super 8, holiday inn express, and all star sports.

KoalaKoala

I think you made the perfect decision by getting one savanna and two pools. Pool View is nice at AKL and close to the lobby. You may even get upgraded to savanna.

dannyboyindc

This may not have already been mentioned, but a great way to save a ton of money staying at AKL is to rent points from a DVC member, rather than pay cash through the hotel. Unless you're getting free dining (which still may come out more), it's always a good idea to look into going this route for any hotel with DVC attached or exclusive DVC property. :)

We LOVE our savanah view every time we stay there. Wouldn't do it any other way. But we stay in a studio on points, so the difference between savanah and standard isn't that much.

bethymouse

Well, we just got back, my husband and I. We had a "less than perfect" view of the Savannah. It was an end room. We could take the stairs down to the pool ( although we were 4th floor). I loved the flamingos, and we had a view of the anchole cattle plus the giraffes and other small animals. They feed the animals in the morning and around 4:45 pm before the "paid" safari experience. Lots of animals out then.
But, if you plan on spending all if not most of your time at the parks, you may not want to spend the extra $$$, as you may need binoculars or night vision goggles to see the animals. Just MHO. There is a lot of walking to the bus stop, and to your room, but we had a Zebra Trail room. It can be confusing too at 1st to find your room.
I loved it though! The smell was fabulous, and then the wood fire pit was nice as well. Great restaurants, ans very nice cast members. But, for some reason it didn't quite feel like you were in Africa, but I'm not sure what I expected.;)
IMHO... I would stay there, but wouldn't pay the extra $$$$ for the Savannah view, as there are many "overlooks" where you can view the animals up close, and the cast members will answer questions about the animals. BTW-- there are many activities for children as well, some involve $$, but most are free. Enjoy!:D

dreamfinder

I keep hearing about renting DVC points, getting a feeling there is a whole lot of DVC people who don't use there points and want some cash to pay for their on going expenses? LOL.

Not necessarily a whole lot, just look at how many DVC rooms are available. If every lockoff was booked split up, there are over 4,500 DVC rooms at WDW alone, plus the ones elsewhere. So if 1% of owners decide to rent their points out thats 45 rooms a night. And there are people who bought when they perhaps shouldn't have and now rent so they can cover their costs in years they don't go.

jaklgreen

I guess it depends on how much you really want to feel like you are on a safari and would just love to see animals outside of your room. Remember that you will smell them too. I have stayed at AKL(not savannah room) one time and although it is a beautiful resort, I found that it is soooo far away from everything(except AK). That was the only time in 20 years of staying at WDW that I was eaten alive by mosquitos. That resort does not spray for them because of the animals. I found every time I went out even walking to the Mara I was attacked my mosquitos. Maybe I just taste good to them but like I said it was the only time that has happened and I have been back 5 times since( 20 times before). But the deal breaker for me is really just the distance from everything and how long I ended up spending on the busses that trip.

dannyboyindc

I keep hearing about renting DVC points, getting a feeling there is a whole lot of DVC people who don't use there points and want some cash to pay for their on going expenses? LOL.

We rent them out anytime we want to do something else...that includes Disney Cruise. It is actually a better use of points to rent them out and pay cash for the cruise than it is to use points haha

ksr99

1800 is a lot to pay considering you can view the animals from different locations than the room. That being said, I loved it. Going out every morning to the balcony while the family got ready was great. Now I didn't pay the 1800. We were actually staying at another resort, but it closed right before our trip for refurbishment, my travel agent got us a just about free upgrade to AKL Savannah.

One thing to consider, I know it is family and you want to be near each other, but you really don't have to be. You could do one room on the Savannah and either give it to your grandson's family or you take it and have your grandson sleep over for 1 or 2 nights.
I was thinking the same thing. Just have one room with a view!

ksr99

Awesome!! Have a great trip and when you get back let us know how it worked out, I'm curious!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom