WL v. BC

KCheatle

Okay...I need help (in more ways than one, but we're going to limit the discussion here to this topic). We have stayed at WL for the last 5 trips and have LOVED every second of it - with the exception of the buses. We love the size of it (never more than a 5 minute walk anywhere), the atmosphere, the serenity, the waterfall, the boat to MK; everything.

Last time we were in WDW we said we would try out the BC on our next trip because our kids are really into pool days at this age (5 and 9), and BC's pool is just so awesome. Plus, we like the proximity to Epcot and HS - which would cut down on the bus rides.

For those who have stayed at both - am I'm going to regret this and wish the whole time that I was back at WL?

disneygirl1

I personally do not think so. BC is awesome! We love it there, Size is just right, SaB is amazing, being able to walk to Epcot and DHS is a huge plus! Only thing that is a bit of a negative is that the Marketplace doesn't have many QS options for food IMO. Hurricane Hannah's isn't bad but its only open certain hours.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I personally do not think so. BC is awesome! We love it there, Size is just right, SaB is amazing, being able to walk to Epcot and DHS is a huge plus! Only thing that is a bit of a negative is that the Marketplace doesn't have many QS options for food IMO. Hurricane Hannah's isn't bad but its only open certain hours.

You can just walk out to the end of the dock and take a short trip over to the Boardwalk... plenty of QS there.\ and dont forget Beaches and Creme.

Upvote 0

cbconglom

I just came on here to start a thread to ask the same question. I'm currently booked at beach club and Considering wilderness Lodge.. I like beach clubs location but there's definitely lack of food options especially for someone with lots of restrictions. All my dining reservations are at the monorail resorts so I'm wondering if I move over there? It will actually save me $24 a night.

But I know there will be construction going on then and I worry about the impact that will have on the serenity and beauty

Upvote 0

belledream

I don't think you will regret your decision! Beach Club is a different kind of relaxation. Take the time to sit on the swinging benches and look out at Crescent Lake and watch the Boardwalk. Every nook and cranny and hallway is colorful and bright, and enjoy the sand-bottomed pools!

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

We like staying at different places and will eventually try them all. WL is our favorite and we really like it. It is the only repeat so far, but if we had decided to just stay there we would have missed out on so many wonderful places. BC is great, and the pools fantastic. Location to Epcot can't be beat. We have been to most of the deluxe so far, most of the moderates, most of the DVCs and a couple of the values and several hotels at the DTD area. For us, trying new resorts is part of the reason to keep going back. We also stay offsite once a year. We don't find ourselves regretting trying new places, wishing we were back at WL, but instead are grateful for the new experiences.

Upvote 0

Rogue21

I went through the same quandary! The last 5 trips to WDW we've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. This next trip -- in just a short 3 weeks -- I'll be staying at the Beach Club for the first time. I've gone back and forth about missing so much of the things I love about the WL: the restaurants, atmosphere, closeness to Ft. Wilderness and the boat trips to the MK, plus being able to watch the Electric Water Parade every night from the comfort of a balcony chair.

Eventually, I decided it would be good to broaden my horizons and, at least, try another resort. (It's been several years since I've been to the Poly or the AKL, so I am due!) And there is the bonus that the BC is spittin' distance to Epcot -- the F&W Fest being the main reason for this trip. I'll also have no excuse not to check out Jelly Rolls. :)

I'm not sure when your trip is, but when I get back, I'll try to remember to give you my "fresh" opinion about the BC and missing the WL.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

You won't regret it at all. We find both resorts to work for us for different reasons. Christmas stays we will always try to get WL, BC for summer trips for the pool. BC has Beaches & Cream but we like the quick service at WL a little better than the one at BC. We really do like both Beach and Boardwalk because of our love for EPCOT and walking to the studios. Always embrace new things and if staying here doesn't fit your needs after trying it then you can mark it down in the ol' memory bank for next time. Either way have fun!!;)

Upvote 0

KCheatle

Original Poster
I went through the same quandary! The last 5 trips to WDW we've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. This next trip -- in just a short 3 weeks -- I'll be staying at the Beach Club for the first time. I've gone back and forth about missing so much of the things I love about the WL: the restaurants, atmosphere, closeness to Ft. Wilderness and the boat trips to the MK, plus being able to watch the Electric Water Parade every night from the comfort of a balcony chair.

Eventually, I decided it would be good to broaden my horizons and, at least, try another resort. (It's been several years since I've been to the Poly or the AKL, so I am due!) And there is the bonus that the BC is spittin' distance to Epcot -- the F&W Fest being the main reason for this trip. I'll also have no excuse not to check out Jelly Rolls. :)

I'm not sure when your trip is, but when I get back, I'll try to remember to give you my "fresh" opinion about the BC and missing the WL.

Yes! Yes! Yes!! You must tell me your thoughts when you return. We actually aren't going until next September. We're finishing the basement this year, and so all of our excess $$ has to go to that. But, I'm already in the planning phase (well...I never quite get out of the planning phase...) for next September and am considering all options - including switching hotels 1/2 through the trip?? But, we only go for 8 days, so it may not be worth the hassle.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

I don't know about the BC, but I can tell you last year we were upgraded to the contemporary and spent the whole trip wishing we were back at the WL, my daughter even rejected the Poly this year to go back to WL. I can't say anything about BC though because it is not an option for me, since they ruin that awesome pool by putting sand on the bottom.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I say give the Beach Club a try! We have stayed at WL and loved it so I understand your pull to there. We have not stayed at the BC but have stayed at the Swan, Dolphin, and Boardwalk and I can tell you that the area is so beautiful and cool to stay at. It will be different from what you're used to, but it's so enjoyable. Like @epcotisbest pointed out, you'll miss out on trying new things that you could love if you keep going back to the same spot. Give it a try!

Upvote 0

draybook

Yes! Yes! Yes!! You must tell me your thoughts when you return. We actually aren't going until next September. We're finishing the basement this year, and so all of our excess $$ has to go to that. But, I'm already in the planning phase (well...I never quite get out of the planning phase...) for next September and am considering all options - including switching hotels 1/2 through the trip?? But, we only go for 8 days, so it may not be worth the hassle.

We're pretty much in the same boat. For next September, we're mulling changing from POFQ over to the BC.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We've stayed at WL and YC (were booked at BC, but switched to YC because I wanted to boost my odds of a full balcony/patio). Here are my thoughts...

1. The bus service was so bad at WL when we stayed that I vowed never again.
2. The bus service we had at YC whe we stayed there was excellent (shares with BC).
3. Last full trip we used the BC bus several times to get out of Epcot at busy times to head to MK. Bus service was great then as well.
4. The easy walk to Epcot trumps anything with boat service at WL.
5. The walk to DHS from BC isn't bad and the boat service is nice too.
6. Obviously, the pool is much better at BC.
7. Your room will be bigger at BC.
8. Obviously, you'll miss Electrical Water Pageant at your doorstep by not being at WL, but I'm sure you could catch it if you really wanted to see it.
9. There's the chance that you won't get a full balcony at BC like you would at WL, but in this case, I'd take that risk.
10. You have more TS options in the Epcot resort area.
11. Watching Illuminations from the Epcot resorts is better than watching Wishes from WL, IMO.

I'm sure there's more...but that's what I can come up with right now.

Upvote 0

Rogue21

KCheatle, here are my thoughts on the WL vs BC debate after spending 5 nights there recently (Sept 28-Oct 3). First of all, the resort is lovely. Sunny, bright and lively. Very clean looking. Your kids will love the pool area! Hands down better than the pool area at WL. The room I had included a full balcony with a "garden" view (more like monster shrubbery, but it did have a nice view of Illuminations). The door to the balcony was an actual "door" with locks; not the sliding ones like at the WL. Kind of a nice touch. Aside from some subtle Mickey heads in the shower curtain, there wasn't anything distinctly "Disney" about the room. And the room was a bit larger, something you may notice with more than two in the room. I can try to add pictures -- once I get them downloaded and figure it out how to get them on here. :)

It did take me a bit of time to figure out where everything was, but that's to be expected. You could walk from the Beach Club to the Yacht Club in one long path -- passing the BC Marketplace, Cape May Cafe, Beaches & Cream, etc. I guess I missed it, but aside from the Solarium across from the Marketplace, I didn't see a ton of seating if you wanted to stay put for breakfast. (Seating is obvious indoors and out at Roaring Fork.) The arcade seemed to be much bigger than the one at WL too -- if that matters.

It was also great being able to walk to Epcot and DHS (it's around a mile walk to the Studios), as well as the Boardwalk area. There are also Friendship boats in case of weather or tired feet, although I did miss the more "open" boats at the WL the one hot, rainy day I used the Friendship boat back from the Studios. I rented a car, so I couldn't say anything about the bus service, but self-parking was fine and not any further a walk than at WL.

The International Gateway into Epcot never took longer than a couple minutes to get through, and the quiet walk through World Showcase was a definite "plus". I also enjoyed relaxing on the gliders on the beach area after a long day at the parks. And there are movies on the beach area too -- just like at WL.

My only complaints, if you can call them that, were more about timing and small service issues. Room wasn't ready until 3pm -- which is check-in time, but I've never had to wait that long before. Once ready, my Magicband didn't work -- nor did the house phone on that floor and I had to lug everything back down to the check-in desk. Then at Yachtsman Steakhouse, I showed up 20 minutes early and was seated 25 minutes after my ADR time. Merely frustrating. The server was excellent, yet I was a bit underwhelmed by the food. (But breakfast at Trattoria al Forno was delicious! Just an FYI.) Like I said, minor glitches in the grand scheme - and everyone was very pleasant and friendly.

So, would I go back to the Beach Club? Definitely yes, with a nice discount offer. Mainly because of the proximity to Epcot (and Illuminations). Did I miss the WL? You betcha! I missed the wooded paths and walk to Ft Wilderness, bike rentals and archery. The Electric Water Pageant and open boat ride to the MK (and monorail to Epcot). And that little extra "something" in the atmosphere and the themeing I've only found at WL (and AKL). But, that's just me. It's like asking what you like better: Wishes or Illuminations? Sometimes Wishes. Sometimes Illuminations.

Feel free to ask anything else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCheatle

Original Poster
KCheatle, here are my thoughts on the WL vs BC debate after spending 5 nights there recently (Sept 28-Oct 3). First of all, the resort is lovely. Sunny, bright and lively. Very clean looking. Your kids will love the pool area! Hands down better than the pool area at WL. The room I had included a full balcony with a "garden" view (more like monster shrubbery, but it did have a nice view of Illuminations). The door to the balcony was an actual "door" with locks; not the sliding ones like at the WL. Kind of a nice touch. Aside from some subtle Mickey heads in the shower curtain, there wasn't anything distinctly "Disney" about the room. And the room was a bit larger, something you may notice with more than two in the room. I can try to add pictures -- once I get them downloaded and figure it out how to get them on here. :)

It did take me a bit of time to figure out where everything was, but that's to be expected. You could walk from the Beach Club to the Yacht Club in one long path -- passing the BC Marketplace, Cape May Cafe, Beaches & Cream, etc. I guess I missed it, but aside from the Solarium across from the Marketplace, I didn't see a ton of seating if you wanted to stay put for breakfast. (Seating is obvious indoors and out at Roaring Fork.) The arcade seemed to be much bigger than the one at WL too -- if that matters.

It was also great being able to walk to Epcot and DHS (it's around a mile walk to the Studios), as well as the Boardwalk area. There are also Friendship boats in case of weather or tired feet, although I did miss the more "open" boats at the WL the one hot, rainy day I used the Friendship boat back from the Studios. I rented a car, so I couldn't say anything about the bus service, but self-parking was fine and not any further a walk than at WL.

The International Gateway into Epcot never took longer than a couple minutes to get through, and the quiet walk through World Showcase was a definite "plus". I also enjoyed relaxing on the gliders on the beach area after a long day at the parks. And there are movies on the beach area too -- just like at WL.

My only complaints, if you can call them that, were more about timing and small service issues. Room wasn't ready until 3pm -- which is check-in time, but I've never had to wait that long before. Once ready, my Magicband didn't work -- nor did the house phone on that floor and I had to lug everything back down to the check-in desk. Then at Yachtsman Steakhouse, I showed up 20 minutes early and was seated 25 minutes after my ADR time. Merely frustrating. The server was excellent, yet I was a bit underwhelmed by the food. (But breakfast at Trattoria al Forno was delicious! Just an FYI.) Like I said, minor glitches in the grand scheme - and everyone was very pleasant and friendly.

So, would I go back to the Beach Club? Definitely yes, with a nice discount offer. Mainly because of the proximity to Epcot (and Illuminations). Did I miss the WL? You betcha! I missed the wooded paths and walk to Ft Wilderness, bike rentals and archery. The Electric Water Pageant and open boat ride to the MK (and monorail to Epcot). And that little extra "something" in the atmosphere and the themeing I've only found at WL (and AKL). But, that's just me. It's like asking what you like better: Wishes or Illuminations? Sometimes Wishes. Sometimes Illuminations.

Feel free to ask anything else.

Thanks for such a wonderfully detailed report!!! This is hugely helpful!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom