Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

twebber55

I would guess they are targeting 2018 since Pandora will be 2017 and DAK 2.0 and Epcot adds are 2016. Seems like we are entering a phase of new attractions every year for the future.
i think so too, at the earliest late 2017
here are my early and crummy predictions
ROL, Sunset Safari, Frozen, 2016
Pandora spring 2017
Toy Story land summer 2018
Star Wars summer 2020
Unannounced DHS land 2021

not a bad line up... LATE to the game but at least once again building

doctornick

Demolition is actually usually the fastest, easiest part of construction. Those buildings are pretty simple and will be backstage, so I don't think that's really an issue here.

The bigger issue is simply with replacing their functioning (most notably the costuming building from what people have said) elsewhere on property. Once the buildings are no longer needed, demolition will likely be quick and construction of TSL shouldn't take too long given its relative simplicity. The rides themselves are likely being built off-site already.

RayTheFirefly

The bigger issue is simply with replacing their functioning (most notably the costuming building from what people have said) elsewhere on property. Once the buildings are no longer needed, demolition will likely be quick and construction of TSL shouldn't take too long given its relative simplicity. The rides themselves are likely being built off-site already.
I'm not very knowledgeable on costuming, but it seems to me that would something that's pretty easy to relocate, no?

note2001

So, you like the style of the attractions that are not based on cartoons because they are not cartoony, but don't like the attractions that are based on cartoons because they are cartoony.

I guess Pooh could have been a bit more realistic...
large.gif

Ha, A very disturbing image that is, and even worse considering Tigger would have been ripping into Eeyore there, while Pooh would be carrying either piglet or Rabbit off in his mouth.

I understand what your point is, and I agree that cartoons should be cartoon rides. Perhaps there is a better example out there to use than the Winnie the Pooh movies. Maybe Dumbo, or Peter Pan?
(Remember, pooh was not so much a cartoon as a story about Christopher Robin, a (fictional) real little boy playing pretend with his stuffed animals. All the old movies start off in his room, and show the stuffed animals by the window bay. So 'real' would still have been stuffed animals.)

Next Big Thing

It would be great to hear 2017, but I have to wonder why didn't they give an estimated date for the project if it would be that soon. What if we compare it to the new fantasyland announcement? When they showed the concept art for new fantasyland, did they also announce the year it would be ready?
Well, the majority of NFL took 3 years so that would be 2018 at the latest. And this is supposed to open before SWL as an appetizer, so I just can't see it taking 5 years when SWL is supposed to open in 5-6 years.

doctornick

16 seems quick..

I'm guessing 2017 sometime, but Martin obviously has connections. His post at least suggests to me that there is a desire to complete TSL quickly, which would be understandable given the overall state of the attraction lineup at DHS. the big barrier is moving the backstage functions away from the area so demolition can occur -- the actually building of TSL should be relatively quick and simple compared to most lands.

My guess for DHS is something like:

2017: TSL
2018-19: additional Pixar attractions on the Catastrophe Canyon/LMA/SoA space
2020-21: Star Wars

gmajew

Premium Member
If 2016 happened then that would prove to me that Disney can build at a faster pace if they really want to.

Me to but with this land I think they need to move at that pace... This park can not have more things shutdown and even less to do for much longer.... I really think this park will get something new every year for the next 5. It all may not be major but it will be something to keep people punching their ticket at the park.

The new Villains show, Star Tours, Toy Story land, Then what in between TS and SW lands....

DisneyNick

Makes sense to work on this part of the park first because almost all of it is backstage which hopefully means they can work faster. Then once this opens they close other parts of the park to work on them and keep the number of open attractions about where it is now. Just looked at the artwork again and had a quick look on Google Maps. It looks like with this expansion they will be pushing the park all the way out to the watertower, so in the future we may be able to walk right up to it! Kinda cool.

This is purely a question but what do you think they will eventually do with the area between Pixar Studios and Sunset Boulevard? It makes sense to finally link those parts of the park up. With Toontown Fair gone in the Magic Kingdom and Mickey and Friends having no permanent home on property do you think they could possibly be turning this into a Toontown/ToonStudios area? The themes would flow nicely. From Hollywood to a toon version of Hollywood and into the world of toys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom