Am I the only person who thinks Beach/Yacht Club pool is overhyped & overrated?

Pete256

Original Poster
We have stayed at either the Beach or Yacht the last 4 years and truly enjoyed the experience from beginning to end, each stay being for 7 days in June. The pool is really important to us as we go during very warm June, are early riser and first ones in the park so we can go back to resort at 3:00 and cool off, swim & relax.

We love the Yacht Cub and it is our favorite resort, primarily because of theme and moreover location.

I have convinced myself that the pool there is the BEST, and many guides ratings have it as that; but when you look at it, it is always crowded because of 2 resorts sharing it, there is no continuity as to depths due to the lazy river crammed into it and a huge portion of the pool is a wet sandbox for very little kids.

We stay there because of LOCATION as we love being in proximity to EPCOT, the Boardwalk area and DHS - but for June 2016 with Yacht club rates not yet posted for standard rooms and only overpriced lagoon view available for Beach Club so I booked a standard view room at the Boardwalk.

I have so many people telling me how incredibly big of a mistake it is because of the grandeur of the Y&B pool - Yes, Boardwalk's is smaller and somewhat of a corny theme, but it is also 1/2 the amount of people. My 10 yr old is also a roller coaster buff and always was intrigued by the slide as we walked past it on our way to DHS.

I am just ranting, I know - but I feel this is a classic example of overhype because it has sand.

DABIGCHEEZ

We have stayed at Beach Club... and my wife HATED the pool so much we probably will not stay there again. My kids enjoyed the slide, but did not really like the feel of the sand on the bottom. I do not understand why the lazy river is so deep. I think it is like 7 or 8 feet...our kids were too young to go on that at the time. To me, it was a pool at a hotel with a few different features...and that was about it. So yes over hyped...but Disney is the best at that.

JusticeDisney

To answer your question, yes, you are the only one. Just teasin ya! Although I'm sure you're in the extreme minority.

However, I will say this. If you are disappointed with the YC/BC pool, I feel bad for what you are going to think of the Boardwalk pool. It is literally the worst pool of any deluxe on property.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

I've stayed in some high end hotels around the world and I would say every hotel in WDW is over hyped/overrated. I like the Wilderness lodge but it's not all that. Some people talk up these hotels like they are life changing experiences which if your only hotel experience is Motel 6 then yes they are very nice hotels.

That said Yacht club doesn't do anything for me theme wise but I live in a wealthy community in the Deep South on the ocean. LOL. I like to go hit a downtown in some big city for a change. Theme is all relative. I don't think service is all that great at the Disney hotels but I'm use to full on hotels who deal with customers who expect more. Not that Disney has bad service it's just not as high end as other places. Hard to explain.
Completely agree. Whenever I hear people talk about Disney resorts "transporting" them to another place or time, I almost laugh out loud. I mean seriously, do people really think they are in the French Quarter or on a Polynesian island? Don't get me wrong, some of the themes are pretty cool, but Disney-run hotels pale in comparison to top quality hotels. Just my opinion.

DaisyDoesDisney

Completely agree. Whenever I hear people talk about Disney resorts "transporting" them to another place or time, I almost laugh out loud. I mean seriously, do people really think they are in the French Quarter or on a Polynesian island? Don't get me wrong, some of the themes are pretty cool, but Disney-run hotels pale in comparison to top quality hotels. Just my opinion.
It's like Pirates of the Caribbean, they did a really nice job copying an old fort in the Caribbean. Problem is I've been to the real ones. Wilderness Lodge? I've stayed in a hotel that was what Disney copied from. Disney did a good job at it and that's great for people who would never get to go to the real place.

Those houses/rooms they built out into the lake are funny to me. Supposed to be like Polynesia? ROTFLOL. Oh no they are not. I bet they get sold out pretty much year round so there is a crowd for them who I'm sure will be very happy.

Wow. Really? Pretty sure we all know the difference. There are just honestly some weeks, months, and years where personal and employment obligations do not allow us to swing by Polynesia, the Great Mid-West, the Caribbean, all of Europe, Louisiana, etc, etc.
There are times in the grind of life where what Disney provides is a welcome retreat.

worldfanatic

I've stayed in some high end hotels around the world and I would say every hotel in WDW is over hyped/overrated. I like the Wilderness lodge but it's not all that. Some people talk up these hotels like they are life changing experiences which if your only hotel experience is Motel 6 then yes they are very nice hotels.

That said Yacht club doesn't do anything for me theme wise but I live in a wealthy community in the Deep South on the ocean. LOL. I like to go hit a downtown in some big city for a change. Theme is all relative. I don't think service is all that great at the Disney hotels but I'm use to full on hotels who deal with customers who expect more. Not that Disney has bad service it's just not as high end as other places. Hard to explain.

Gee Whiz!
You sure are somethin' special.

Hockey89

Well yeah... That's an understatement.... I stayed at the Four season in Orlando for my wedding and switched to the YC.... The difference between the two rooms and the resorts can't even be compared... The prices were about the same.... You are paying for location location location.

DisneyGirl3820

We lost our reservation to the BC and had to take a villa at the Boardwalk. SO happy it worked out that way because we found the Boardwalk to be excellent. It's not the most luxurious place and yes, the theming isn't that great but the conveniene to Epcot and HS as well as the activity on the Boardwalk at night is great for us. We took the boat over the the YC and the BC and we couldn't believe the crowds in the pool. It was packed! We chose to use the "quiet pool" at the Boardwalk and it was perfect. We also stayed refurbished villa and it was very nice.AGain, like the others on this thread said, it's all about location and you are paying for that. We had been staying off-site for years but this last trip made us change our minds. We spent more time at the parks than on a bus getting to the parks.

surfsupdon

I am obsessed with their pool-as far as pools go.

It is one of the only pools left with a deep end, a very deep end, so it is a ton of fun to swim and go down deep and have fun. Waterslide is awesome at night as well.

If I were a parent of young ones, I would not like it. The area is too spread out and I couldn't keep my eye on my kids.

JusticeDisney

I'm always amazed how many ppl go to WDW and go in a pool, which you can do anywhere, when there are Disney theme parks all around!
Well yeah, but you can't do the parks 24/7. You have to have SOME diversion from the parks, and what better diversion than an awesome pool, especially when you vacation during some the hotter months?

ryguy

I do agree with OP I feel the pool is over hyped. I like the Animal Kingdom Lodge pools better. Contemporary I feel has the worst pool on property. But with a little love it could be the best. Has a great view.

FigmentForver96

Omg yacht is the best hands down. It just has an elegance and cozy atmosphere that makes you simply want to linger and wander the resort. I like wilderness, but I always find myself going back to YC.

CheshireCat12

Another vote agreeing with the OP- it's nice but I didn't like the sandy bottom much and I agree the lazy river area is too deep and not enough tubes

epcotisbest

I'm always amazed how many ppl go to WDW and go in a pool, which you can do anywhere, when there are Disney theme parks all around!
Then why build a pool anywhere near a beach, national park, museum, island or anywhere else for that matter? I'm amazed people would wait in a line for an hour for a three minute ride when they could be enjoying the pool. And Stormalong Bay is fantastic!

ArielLover

You people are worrying me, my wife and I are considering the YC for a holiday trip in 2016. The pool was one of the reasons.

aw14

We are currently looking at YC as well. My sister stays at BC and swears by the pool. She doesn't typically over hype anything, so I usually trust her word.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom