Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom poll(only those who have been to both)

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

• Disneyland

Votes: 290 60.2%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 192 39.8%

• Total voters

Otamin

I've sadly never been to Disneyland (so I won't vote), but based on what I've seen in pictures it's certainly a lot more beautiful than the Magic Kingdom is nowadays.

I really need to go someday soon...

Miss Heinous

I think DLR is a better resort overall than WDW simply because of quality and the attitude the resorts present to their guests. DLR treats it's guests with respect and knows it's audience very well. They present the guests with merchandise that suits them, special events, and acknowledges what the guests admire about the parks as well as celebrating it's history. At the same time WDW kind of just throws leftovers at it's guests, not to mention letting upkeep and maintenance go down the drain. For a long time WDW seemed to want to destroy every bit of nostalgia across the resort, many of WDW's greatest unique attractions are now gone. The last time I visited WDW as an out of state visitor I felt like I was being talked down to the entire time by the way the company presents the parks and attractions (especially on Disney's Magical Express). The fact that they present Walt Disney's opening address to Disneyland as Magic Kingdom instead on the welcome video is extremely insulting and creates further confusion among newer guests. Don't get me wrong I love both resorts, but I feel WDW has lost itself in the last 15 years.

Last edited:

danyoung56

I love this topic - it comes up every few months or so. I grew up near DL, and went several times a year. Now I visit SoCal maybe twice a year, and I also am able to go to Florida twice a year. As others have said, while the WDW Resort overall would get my vote, Disneyland park wins hands down over the MK. It's just more charming, it's been there longer and has developed more character. I love my visits to both coasts. But if I had to pick, the original Disneyland park would win every time.

mharrington

Disneyland, for several reasons, many of them already stated at the start of the thread, but also because I live a whole lot closer to Disneyland than to WDW and thus have been there far more often. I hadn't been to WDW in over ten years!

cheezbat

Magic Kingdom. I'm a Disneyland local and former AP. Ask me 5 years ago and I would've voted for my home park, but the combination of unmanageable crowds and tight walkways have really turned me off (my last visit was in 2013). Sure, DL gets marks for attraction count and entertainment, but I've come to appreciate the more expansive layout of MK.
Are you visiting the same MK as me? The past three years my visits to MK have been just as crowded - if not more in the walkways as DL. It's getting out of hand. (WDW needs to hurry up and expand the other parks as much as they can to take pressure off MK.)

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
And, I agree that DLR lacks the immersion/magic factor that WDW has. There is just something about getting on the monorail and seeing a Denny's that bursts that magic/immersion bubble. And, the fact that almost everyone you meet is from California, and they all act like "Oh - this is just another day for us" is a downer. Certain rides may be better - but unquestionably I think the magic and atmosphere are better at WDW.

See, I get what you mean. There are far more locals at Disneyland than at Magic Kingdom. This being because the population is much higher in Southern California than Central Florida. Also, tourists are more likely to go to Disney World for a variety of reasons: Space, more parks, don't need to leave the resort. Plus if Europeans come they go to Florida because it is closer. People on the East coast go to Florida. People in Canada go to Florida because most us Canadians live in the Eastern Standard time slot. Or at least 60%. So that means there will be more tourists.

However, when you are there you never notice a difference. I also thought that in Disneyland there is a bit of a feeling of knowing that this is what it means to be part of Southern California culture. Go to Disneyland and you are assimilated in the culture of that area. It's home to them. I found that to be special. But either way I can never spot a local or a tourist from one another.

There is one minor thing and that's when you ride the monorail for a brief moment you get a glimpse to the outside world (Is it Harbor blvd?). It is true, you don't get that at WDW, or even just Magic Kingdom, and I love the fact that you almost need to be transported to a different part of the world (or so you think) when you enter the Magic Kingdom, but I still don't think that puts it ahead of Disneyland on a head to head competition.

Disneyland just "has it". If that makes any sense. A friend of mine who is a WDW veteran is wanting to go to Disneyland. I gave him an itinerary. I told him that as nostalgic and "magical" as WDW can be there is just something Disneyland has that tops it.

thomas998

I've sadly never been to Disneyland (so I won't vote), but based on what I've seen in pictures it's certainly a lot more beautiful than the Magic Kingdom is nowadays.

I really need to go someday soon...

The only really problem with DL is that they will often bring down a lot of E ticket rides for refurb at the same time. Especially true if you are going in the off-season. So when you go as bad as the crowds are you are better off going in the summer when the fewest rides will be offline. Also avoid going around Halloween because DL puts on some really cheesy overlays in Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain that just aren't that good.

To me one of the reasons I prefer DL over MK besides reasons others have listed is that I find it so impressive that the level of immersion is kept at DL despite being surrounded by a city.

And while there are areas of DLR that break it, like DTD, the Monorail, Paradise Pier, and the Esplanade. It's much more impressive that you don't even feel like your in Anaheim in DL or areas of DCA like Buena Vista Street, Grizzly Peak or Cars Land. If you don't believe me get a theme park view room at the Grand Californian.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I like Disneyland, but its a local theme park, while it may be the better park, in my opinion which is the one that counts, it has a less windswept and interesting vibe.

the-reason14

Any other year I would have said MK. Just because it's my home park and WDW is my home resort and is what I'm used to. However after having been to Disneyland 3 times this year with number 4 coming up next week, there is just something about Disneyland that the MK could never reproduce. It took me awhile to get that "Disney magic" feel at DL. After having visited in 2009, it just didn't feel Disney to me. Maybe because the hotel we stayed in was behind the park in the neighborhood, and maybe because this year we stayed on the 'resort side.' But after visiting again the first time this year, it immediately clicked for me. There is something quaint and charming about Disneyland that MK lacks. People tend to be more calm there, and walking down main street feels more comfy and leisurely. It's easier to get in and out of the park, and main street just looks so beautiful for the 60th. It feels real and authentic, whereas MK's feels more contrived. There's so much to do in such a small blueprint, and Disneyland while it feels....not old...but maybe nostalgic? It still works with today's audience. It's "cool" to the teens and for young adults, something that I think MK and WDW in general doesn't have. The local aspect of it I also like. Imagining getting off from work or home from school and going to Disneyland with friends to just chill for a few hours. I like that aspect of it. And paint the night, and Disneyland forever just shows how "cool" Disneyland is. I'm sure paint the night will end up in MK when DL is done with it. But I don't think it will fit MK as nicely as it does DL. It's a modern and cool parade that works with Disneyland's audience. MK isn't like that. And it also seems like it's less families and kids at DL. Of course they still come, but every line isn't filled with little kids that won't be still. It feels more natural for two grown men to wait in line for Alice and Wonderland and other fantasyland dark rides, then at MK. If that makes sense.

So I know that was long, but DL for me just beats MK. I still love MK's tomorrowland, and the three mountains more at MK. But I just love DL as a "cool" hangout spot for people, as opposed to MK's tourist atmosphere with mom and dad having to get pics of little sarah at every corner. And it's also Walt's park so, enough said.

danyoung56

.....Also avoid going around Halloween because DL puts on some really cheesy overlays in Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain that just aren't that good.

Wow! Everyone has their own opinion, but I couldn't disagree with you more, at least on the Haunted Mansion. Jack Skellington's Haunted Mansion Holiday is incredibly well done, and is a must see for Christmas. I have yet to see the Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy overlay, although I've heard good things about it. And the current Star Wars overlay to Space Mountain is getting rave reviews.

thomas998

Wow! Everyone has their own opinion, but I couldn't disagree with you more, at least on the Haunted Mansion. Jack Skellington's Haunted Mansion Holiday is incredibly well done, and is a must see for Christmas. I have yet to see the Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy overlay, although I've heard good things about it. And the current Star Wars overlay to Space Mountain is getting rave reviews.
The only bit of the Haunted Mansion overlay that I thought was good was the smell fo gingerbread when you passed through the ghosts having dinner... But honestly way too much florescent paint, it reminds me of a state fair fun house... completely wrong for Disney.

thomas998

Any other year I would have said MK. Just because it's my home park and WDW is my home resort and is what I'm used to. However after having been to Disneyland 3 times this year with number 4 coming up next week, there is just something about Disneyland that the MK could never reproduce. It took me awhile to get that "Disney magic" feel at DL. After having visited in 2009, it just didn't feel Disney to me. Maybe because the hotel we stayed in was behind the park in the neighborhood, and maybe because this year we stayed on the 'resort side.' But after visiting again the first time this year, it immediately clicked for me. There is something quaint and charming about Disneyland that MK lacks. People tend to be more calm there, and walking down main street feels more comfy and leisurely. It's easier to get in and out of the park, and main street just looks so beautiful for the 60th. It feels real and authentic, whereas MK's feels more contrived. There's so much to do in such a small blueprint, and Disneyland while it feels....not old...but maybe nostalgic? It still works with today's audience. It's "cool" to the teens and for young adults, something that I think MK and WDW in general doesn't have. The local aspect of it I also like. Imagining getting off from work or home from school and going to Disneyland with friends to just chill for a few hours. I like that aspect of it. And paint the night, and Disneyland forever just shows how "cool" Disneyland is. I'm sure paint the night will end up in MK when DL is done with it. But I don't think it will fit MK as nicely as it does DL. It's a modern and cool parade that works with Disneyland's audience. MK isn't like that. And it also seems like it's less families and kids at DL. Of course they still come, but every line isn't filled with little kids that won't be still. It feels more natural for two grown men to wait in line for Alice and Wonderland and other fantasyland dark rides, then at MK. If that makes sense.

So I know that was long, but DL for me just beats MK. I still love MK's tomorrowland, and the three mountains more at MK. But I just love DL as a "cool" hangout spot for people, as opposed to MK's tourist atmosphere with mom and dad having to get pics of little sarah at every corner. And it's also Walt's park so, enough said.

I have to ask about the crowds during their 60th... We purposefully went to WDW this year to avoid what I expected would be much heavier crowds than normal... But now I'm curious is we were right in out decision.

DisneyOutsider

The biggest factor in me choosing MK over DL:

It's a nightmare to get around the park at DL in the evenings. It's so stressful to step into the solid mass of people to try to get from somewhere like frontierland back over to the hub at night... and I don't even have children.

This is one area where MK has seen big improvements, especially after the Hub re-do.

DisneyOutsider

Are you visiting the same MK as me? The past three years my visits to MK have been just as crowded - if not more in the walkways as DL. It's getting out of hand. (WDW needs to hurry up and expand the other parks as much as they can to take pressure off MK.)

MK is much more accommodating for larger crowds than DL is currently, particularly so now that the new hub is complete.

DL may have more attractions, but I have been to MK for all of the busiest times of the year (all Summer months plus Xmas/New Years) and never saw anything like what I experienced trying to get around DL last May. There's some pretty bad bottleneck issues going on... issues which were corrected at MK, for the most part, by the hub expansion.

Florida_is_hot

Both Disneyland and Disney World have unique attractions but Disneyland is fraction of the size of Walt Disney World.
Walt Disney World does a lot with all the extra land

danyoung56

The only bit of the Haunted Mansion overlay that I thought was good was the smell fo gingerbread when you passed through the ghosts having dinner... But honestly way too much florescent paint, it reminds me of a state fair fun house... completely wrong for Disney.

Large angel-like structures added to the graveyard. An entirely new room opened up off of the ballroom with a rotating tree in it. A totally redressed attic with spooky stuff. And of course Oogie Boogie at the end. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this - for me, the HMH is just incredible.

thomas998

MK is much more accommodating for larger crowds than DL is currently, particularly so now that the new hub is complete.

DL may have more attractions, but I have been to MK for all of the busiest times of the year (all Summer months plus Xmas/New Years) and never saw anything like what I experienced trying to get around DL last May. There's some pretty bad bottleneck issues going on... issues which were corrected at MK, for the most part, by the hub expansion.
DLs congesstion problems really all boil down to the annual passes and Fantasmic. During moderate days the park is not that bad, but as soon as you get to after 5:00 and the locals start flooding the park for Fantasmic... well things go down hill fast. Best solutions we have found to the problem is avoid that side of the park towards the evening hours.... I keep hoping they will stop fantasmic or at the very least move it from the current location but I doubt that will ever happen.

DisneyOutsider

DLs congesstion problems really all boil down to the annual passes and Fantasmic. During moderate days the park is not that bad, but as soon as you get to after 5:00 and the locals start flooding the park for Fantasmic... well things go down hill fast. Best solutions we have found to the problem is avoid that side of the park towards the evening hours.... I keep hoping they will stop fantasmic or at the very least move it from the current location but I doubt that will ever happen.

Yeah.. one one hand, Fantasmic at Disneyland is an awesome show...

On the other hand, it's in a very inconvenient location.

the-reason14

I have to ask about the crowds during their 60th... We purposefully went to WDW this year to avoid what I expected would be much heavier crowds than normal... But now I'm curious is we were right in out decision.

It was definitely more crowded this year then in was back in 2009. I mean very very crowded. However utilizing fastpass and getting there early is/was the best option. And also being able to choose what you want to fastpass and not being limited to 3 and forced to pick one for either something you don't want or don't need like a show, helps. When me and my brother went in August the crowds were much more manageable because kids just got back in school. But either way, Disney World is always crowded and they are always cutting back. So Disneyland has been worth it so far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom