Best WDW Boat Transportation

Robbiemoo

The boat from the Poly to MK. Sometimes when park hopping or if I've stayed at hotel plaza I'll take a bus to the poly (or walk from the TTC) and take the little launch its a lovely relaxing way to go to Magic Kingdom.

Second would be the Port Orleans cruise to downtown, lots of happy teenage memories of travelling that route when we stayed at Dixie Landings

pajammies

I have never taken a boat ride in Disney, but we are planning this our next trip. My plan is to do things we haven't done before.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a friendship boat? Are these only for certain paths, or different kinds of boats? I honestly have never so much as even noticed one of these in the water. Bad, I know...

blueboxdoctor

I have to agree with the original posting. I did the Polynesian, MK, Grand Floridian route many, many times and now I do the Wilderness Lodge to MK route. It may take a little longer than the monorail, but it's usually more relaxing. I've also done the one from DHS to EPCOT and it took forever. Also did the one to EPCOT from one of the resorts near the Boardwalk, but I forget the name of it. That wasn't so bad except it was freezing that night and we sat on the outside part since the inside was filled. But there's a certain charm that comes with the ones that go to MK.

Susan Savia

The ferry from the MK back to the TTC. We have been known to catch it at a time whern there has only been a handful of folks on it. Something about the gentle breeze and gazing out at the sights.

KCheatle

There are a variety of ways to get from place to place in WDW just by boat (or ferry or launch). Is there a particular means of boat transportation in WDW that you enjoy?

I always enjoy the boat ride from Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom (and vice versa). There's just something inherently cool about going slowly towards the huge Contemporary Resort, under the monorail lines, and coming up slowly but surely to the Magic Kingdom. And then in the evening, it's just cool in reverse, especially towards the end when you pull up to the dock at the beautifully lit up WL itself. Another particularly cool ride is the one that goes in a triangular pattern between MK, GF, and the Polynesian. Especially is it cool in the evenings to just sit and ride around while the MK fireworks show is going off. I've never ridden the big ferry from TTC to MK or any of the World Showcase boats, so I can't comment on them. I probably would enjoy the boat ride to/from Epcot and DHS a little more if it didn't take so long and have so many stops in-between.

I agree with WL! In fact, I enjoy it so much that I'm almost reconsidering our decision to try BC out next trip because I'm so afraid of how much I will miss it. I can't tell you how much I look forward to the first boat ride of the trip when we come under the monorail and first see the castle and space mountain. It is so surreal (I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.) And, not just to MK is it nice - but leaving by boat from MK is also fantastic. It is so nice after a long crazy day at MK to be able to walk right through the masses running for the buses or the mono and walk onto a nice quaint boat for a relaxing ride home.

KCheatle

I have never taken a boat ride in Disney, but we are planning this our next trip. My plan is to do things we haven't done before.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a friendship boat? Are these only for certain paths, or different kinds of boats? I honestly have never so much as even noticed one of these in the water. Bad, I know...

Friendship boats are the boats that hop between Epcot and the Boardwalk/BC/YC/S&D resorts and HS. There are also friendship boats within Epcot that go between the countries and the world showcase. They look like this:

Friendship-Boats.jpg

danyoung56

My ultimate plan is to retire in about 6 years, move to Florida, and drive boats for Disney. I know they have different teams of CMs - those that work the MK area vs. Epcot, etc. Doesn't really matter where I end up - just so that I'm on the water!

kelknight84

My ultimate plan is to retire in about 6 years, move to Florida, and drive boats for Disney. I know they have different teams of CMs - those that work the MK area vs. Epcot, etc. Doesn't really matter where I end up - just so that I'm on the water!

That's my retirement plan too! I was lucky enough to have already done this when I was in college, so I can't wait to get back to it. MK boats for me though!! I love piloting the 3 different ones and how open they are. The Friendships are too slow, enclosed, and have funny controls.

danyoung56

Yeah, but that A/C is a big bonus! I've talked to several boat CMs, and it seems that the crews are made up of mostly 2 groups - college kids, and RETIRED PEOPLE!!!

WillCAD

I love all of the watercraft at WDW, but I certainly have a few favorites.

When I go to MK, I always take the ferryboat on the way in, and the monorail on my way out. I love those three big boats; I always head right for the upper level and stake out a spot next to the pilot's house. The views of the park and the resorts from up there are terrific, and the breeze can be pretty refreshing on a hot morning. Or torture on a cold morning, but I can usually handle it. Usually. :facepalm:

The Friendship Launches on Crescent Lake, stopping at Epcot, DHS, and the various resorts, are the first watercraft I ever tried at WDW. I have plenty of great memories of relaxing as I toured the resorts and enjoyed the gentle rocking of the boats, and I love to marvel at the skill of the pilots who can bring them into position at the dock with only a soft, single bump on the first pass.

I am enormously fond of the small motor launches that HouCuseChickie posted, which run between MK and the resorts around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. I like the trip from MK to FW, and from FW to Contemporary, for the views and the peaceful quiet, especially at twilight. I've even seen Wishes from one of those boats, and although we were moving too much to get any photos, I enjoyed the unique perspective on my favorite fireworks show until we passed behind Contemporary and couldn't see them any more. But we still heard the bangs!

These have become my faves...don't know why, but they just are...

6062918033_e4207f9925_z.jpg

4disneylovers

I agree with HouCuseChickie. I think because back in the 70s when I was little and we stayed at the campground there was only MK and that's mostly how we got there. If one of the bigger boats came to the dock that was super cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom