Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

Bocabear

at the Disneyland and Disneyland Paris versions of the ride, the caverns sequence have all that set dressing with skeleton pirated ...a sort of Pirates Lair of the dead. I wonder why they chose to do so much less with the Florida version in it's original form....I guess $$... Rather than the lame mermaid effect would have been more fun to have added the Skeletons and upgrade the storm sequence... It is barely readable now.

lazyboy97o

at the Disneyland and Disneyland Paris versions of the ride, the caverns sequence have all that set dressing with skeleton pirated ...a sort of Pirates Lair of the dead. I wonder why they chose to do so much less with the Florida version in it's original form....I guess $$... Rather than the lame mermaid effect would have been more fun to have added the Skeletons and upgrade the storm sequence... It is barely readable now.
Those opening scenes were considered fluff that just filled out the need to move guests into the show building. The goal of the queue was to do all of that mood setting right up front and get right to the action.

Bocabear

They still set up the scenes to follow. The scenes were not considered totally pointless, just overly extended.
I don't know if I would consider them pointless....the mermaid projections seem pointless without a tie in further along...
my point was, there is a section of the ride that has less going on...that could be addressed.

180º

So– for a very crude comparison– caverns≈stretching room? Unnecessary after Disneyland, but copied anyway for the fun of it. So WDW's Pirates is kind of like a Haunted Mansion without a stretching room. Of course there's the narrative importance of the stretching room to consider, the varying queues in the Pirates attractions, etc. that are inconsistent with the idea, but like I said, crude comparison. I had just never thought about it that way before.

ToTBellHop

So– for a very crude comparison– caverns≈stretching room? Unnecessary after Disneyland, but copied anyway for the fun of it. So WDW's Pirates is kind of like a Haunted Mansion without a stretching room. Of course there's the narrative importance of the stretching room to consider, the varying queues in the Pirates attractions, etc. that are inconsistent with the idea, but like I said, crude comparison. I had just never thought about it that way before.
Personally, I think our superior queue easily takes the place of the extended cavern scene in California. My issue more recently has been the deteriorated quality of the ride we do have. I've never really lamented the length of the ride. DL's has just been better looked-after (like our Mansion).

Bocabear

Personally, I think our superior queue easily takes the place of the extended cavern scene in California. My issue more recently has been the deteriorated quality of the ride we do have. I've never really lamented the length of the ride. DL's has just been better looked-after (like our Mansion).
Our superior Queue is not that amazing... and also DL has the Blue Bayou float-through on the way to the caverns...
The Paris version, when all is working, is really quite amazing. Much longer, better Queue, Better show scenes...
I look forward to see what Shanghai is going to produce...

iheartdisney91

My goodness how you guys do overthink a theme park attraction. It didn't change the entire ride nor did it change the atmosphere, it's just an added recognizable character to an old story line. It seems like people want a 10 minute ride to tell a story equivalent to the detail in "War and Peace".

Nope. Just sayin the ride was better without Jack, when it only consisted of Walt's Original idea. Not famous Hollywood actors.

ToTBellHop

Our superior Queue is not that amazing... and also DL has the Blue Bayou float-through on the way to the caverns...
The Paris version, when all is working, is really quite amazing. Much longer, better Queue, Better show scenes...
A queue through a fort isn't impressive enough? You will not get an argument from me that Paris' version is superior. That is true for most of their versions of the classics, but they are newer. One would expect upgrades.

Bocabear

A queue through a fort isn't impressive enough? You will not get an argument from me that Paris' version is superior. That is true for most of their versions of the classics, but they are newer. One would expect upgrades.
The Queue through the fort is nice...It is a lot brighter than it used to be years ago...which detracts from the mood...The light fixtures and lanterns throughout the Queue used to flicker like torchlight... Now it is visible light bulbs...Some nice props, a visible ceiling where it is supposed to be sky... Nice...but not as good as it could be...and not as nice as it used to be...

KikoKea

The Queue through the fort is nice...It is a lot brighter than it used to be years ago...which detracts from the mood...The light fixtures and lanterns throughout the Queue used to flicker like torchlight... Now it is visible light bulbs...Some nice props, a visible ceiling where it is supposed to be sky... Nice...but not as good as it could be...and not as nice as it used to be...
I didn't know the queue supposed to be a fort? I always thought it was a dungeon! I'll have to pay more attention next time...which won't be this trip since it will still be closed in 3 weeks. :arghh:

HMF

Not to mention they now blast the Overture from Disneyland throughout the queue.

Bocabear

It is named after Castillo Del Morro in Old San Juan PR… as you enter the Queue look up and at the first arch it says "Castillo Del Morro"…and there are canon ports facing the harbor (loading area)… I wish the ceiling in the loading area was high enough to project the clouds… make it look more like a night sky…

Goofyernmost

Nope. Just sayin the ride was better without Jack, when it only consisted of Walt's Original idea. Not famous Hollywood actors.
As much as I like Walt's old ideas, almost 4 generations have passed since that was introduced. Still was entertaining, however, young people could not relate and Jack Sparrow made it current again. Was it needed? Don't know, probably not. Did it hurt anything? Not that I can see, but, it did pump new life into a very old attraction. I don't see where it did any harm. Remember that Jack Sparrow IS a Disney character that looks suspiciously like a Hollywood actor. Suspension of disbelief is your friend in a fantasy theme park.

The Duck

Parisian Pirates incorporates the best of both of the U.S. versions with some of it's own original features. I hope to see it in person one day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom