Carving up 5 days, can't decide

Gaprofitt

Original Poster
Hey All,

Going to Disney World for the first time next month for 5 days, arrive on a Wed about 1:00 PM, staying at Wilderness Lodge with my son, my ex-wife is coming as well but staying offsite but is going to meet up with us. His 4th Birthday is Thurs, Sept 10th, we depart for a flight home at 4 pm on Sunday, so it's a Wed to Sun trip.

Currently the first day I have us going to MK, going to MK the 2nd day, his birthday and this day is EMH and we have reservations for Chef Mickey's mid-day. On Friday I was planning an early visit to Hollywood Studios, have FP's for Toy Story Mania, the frozen sing along and I think it's called Star Tours. I was leaving the afternoon open after eating at Sci-Fi theatre.

Saturday was early Animal Kingdom, have FP's for the Safari and the River Rapids. My son isn't a huge zoo fan so I have my doubts this will be somewhat of a bust. I could be wrong, some of the rides I watched on Youtube look a little scary. He does really good at Six Flags at home with even the bigger rides, he's 43 inches but doesn't care for the haunted house stuff or scary stuff. I think bugs life and Dinosaur ride would really freak him out. I left the afternoon open, might nix this altogether.

Sunday I was gonna go back to MK and hit all his favorites before heading to the airport for the flight home.

I'm considering a few changes.

Perhaps we go to Hollywood Studios late afternoon on Friday vs early morning and spend more time that Friday in MK.

Nix Animal Kingdom for Epcot on Saturday.

Thoughts?

Greg

catmom46

Even though your son isn't a zoo fan, I would still go to AK for at least the morning. The Safari really can be quite something, especially if you get a lot of "active" animals. Kali River Rapids is pretty tame, but you can get fairly soaked, depending on which seats you're in. I wouldn't recommend Dinosaur as it's dark most of the ride and I haven't done Bug so don't know about that one. Is your son into Lion King or Nemo at all? If so, he'd enjoy those shows.

I'm assuming you have park hoppers, if you're thinking about doing HS and MK on the same day. That could work as well, although are you not planning on any pool time?

LAM378

You can do everything you want to do at Hollywood Studios in a half day. What time is the Sci Fi reservation? I personally like the nighttime atmosphere at MK better than HS, so I would do HS as early as possible.

For Saturday, I would pick Epcot over AK in a heartbeat. Spend the first part of the day resting at WL, and head over to Epcot at your leisure. My 5-year-old son loves Test Track, Imagination, Spaceship Earth, The Seas with Nemo, and Turtle Talk. World Showcase is great for little kids. There are Kidcot stops in each country where they can color and get their creation stamped, and if you want to spend the time, the Phineas & Ferb spy missions are GREAT--tons of fun for a kid that age and a nice way for you to explore a little more of WS.

Mamaof2QTs

image.jpg
You can do AK in half a day. I don't recommend dinosaurs for a 4-year-old.

The Safari ride is a "Must Do". You can park for free if staying at a resort. Drive over, and drive back for lunch. Then take the boat to another park.

If he's not into animals, avoid the treks and train. The train takes you to a petting zoo. The treks are slightly better than a zoo, but if you only have 4 days, that's something I would skip.

Last edited:

Mamaof2QTs

Also, A Bug's Life is scary only because there is a wasp flying around then something's jabs you in the back. All the toddlers and 2-year-old get hysterical. Just explain to him there will be feathers on his feet, and the chair will poke at him. He will be prepared enough to think it's cool/funny. You could also put him in your lap.

Cosmic Commando

I agree that the Safari is something that's worthwhile for everyone. One other thing I'd hit up is Festival of the Lion King; it's consistently said here to be one of the highest-rated shows on property. Even if your son doesn't know the songs, I think the tumble monkeys, the fire twirler, and the dancers will keep little kids entertained. I think a trip to Animal Kingdom would be worth it even if you could only do those two things.

Edit: Go to Animal Kingdom first thing in the morning and do the Safari and Festival of the Lion King standby. Switch your Fastpass reservations to Epcot for the afternoon. Get a Fastpass for Soarin (that queue is pretty dull), and ride Test Track standby (your son will get to design a car while in line).

Last edited:

SAV

You didn't say that you had Park Hoppers, but you will need them if you are going to multiple parks in a day.

Although AK is my favorite park, I'd agree that in your situation a half day would get you what you need with a little one. Similar situation in DHS. You could get done what you want in a half day there as well. That leaves you a full day to explore Epcot and everything it has to offer. It is my kids favorite park.

As for the half AK/Half DHS day, definitely be at AK at Rope Drop and do the Safari Standby. Then head over to Festival of the Lion King and do that Standby. Finally, head over to Finding Nemo the Musical and watch that at the next available showing. I would then hop to Hollywood Studios for the afternoon/evening. Set up your FP+'s for DHS and get TSM, and the others you would like.

Your strategy of doing MK first does make it difficult for the other parks because they most likely won't live up to the expectation that MK sets for a little one.

But that would leave you with MK, MK, EP, AK/DHS, Whatever you want to do that last half day.

Mamaof2QTs

Your strategy of doing MK first does make it difficult for the other parks because they most likely won't live up to the expectation that MK sets for a little one..

Interesting perspective. We always hit MK first because we have the most energy the first day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom