Perspective: are we too hard on new attractions?

Figments Friend

Very good questions! Besides the attractions that are already mentioned earlier, I can wholeheartedly answer all three questions with 'yes' regarding Tower of Terror and Mission: Space. Outside the US (since we're discussing Disney, right) I'd say Ratatouile in Paris does the same job for me as well. Same counts for Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars and Mystic Manor in Hong Kong, although honestly those are inspired on BTM and HM which clearly predate the 2000's.

I very much like @Figments Friend view on being an observer or participant :)

I agree, 'Tower of Terror' opened in the 90s and does indeed capture that feeling of 'pure environment' and puts you into a exciting, although appropriately foreboding, setting.
When you enter the queue and first get inside the Hollywood Tower Hotel, you are unquestionably 'there'. and it's great.
The theming and overall ride concept is a winner in that respect, so it can certainly be placed on the shelf with the other great immersive Attractions Disney has developed over the years.

Also note that it is in line with what i was discussing earlier about placing YOU, the Guest, in the role as the one having the adventure.
YOU are the one who is experiencing a free fall in a elevator shaft within a decrepit high rise Hotel.
You are not just sitting there, casually watching someone else or another character in the Attraction 'have the adventure'...you are experiencing it yourself first hand.

The same can be said for 'Mission: Space' as you pointed out.
Although primarily a 'screen based' Attraction, you can still easily slip into the mentality that YOU are about to blast off into outer space to visit Mars.
It is a stretch ....but it's a fun diversion when passing through the Park.

'Mystic Manor' is also a good example when it comes to placing you in a setting and making you feel immersed in a adventure.
Again, YOU are having the adventure in a first person sense and for most of the experience you are felt that your passage is triggering off all the happenings.
Although this is also a Attraction that is heavily screen based, it works because of the way that technology has been implemented.
It is used in a clever and engaging way, instead of a overly passive way.
The addition of a great themed setting and Animatronic additions, not to mention a cutting edge ride vehicle experience makes it a winner.

I personally enjoy the current mix of old and new, showing my kids the things I loved at their age and getting to experience the new attractions with them and through their eyes. I was admittedly underwhelmed by the Journey of the Little Mermaid, but my kids loved it (go figure) and that made it worth it. I think 7DMT is fantastic, and at this point it's pretty clear that if you're looking for "thrill" rides, the MK is not the place to go. For the constant battle of time vs. quality expectation, I'm comfortable with the balance they've struck. The variety of rides (dark, train, boat, interactive, what have you) & attractions is still the best in the business, and with the local dirty, depressing Six Flags charging $80/day, I'm perfectly happy to continue throwing my money at the Mouse :greedy:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I was admittedly underwhelmed by the Journey of the Little Mermaid, but my kids loved it (go figure) and that made it worth it.

Thank you! I was going to ask that exact question – because we are admittedly looking at all these new attractions with adult eyes. I was wondering how the kids felt about them.

tonganprince

All about money in my opinion. With the dollars we have to spend to go into the park, we expect to be blown away.

If the gate was cut in half, I think our expectations would be much lower.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Horizons compared to Mine Train.

For example.
Isn't that a bit of an unfair comparison, though? One was an omnimover dark ride and the other is a junior roller coaster. Even though the 7DMT does have dark ride segments, there's still going to be significantly more room for details and mind-blowing elements on a true dark ride like Horizons was.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Isn't that a bit of an unfair comparison, though? One was an omnimover dark ride and the other is a junior roller coaster. Even though the 7DMT does have dark ride segments, there's still going to be significantly more room for details and mind-blowing elements on a true dark ride like Horizons was.
Not when one cost less than half the other. Even inflation adjusted. But in that case, Mermaid to Horizons.

How about BTM and Everest ? Little Mermaid to Haunted Mansion?

Medicority is too easily accepted nowerdays.

KikoKea

I think it is easy to be too hard on new rides. We seem to always expect 'bigger, better, and faster' when changes are made, but I think we don't always take in consideration what the ride developer's goal is.

For example, I was disappointed when I first rode 7DMT- I wanted something larger and faster than BTMR- nearly ignoring the story and great effects in the mine and house scene. Then, last Fall my 86 mother insisted on riding it, so I pushed her wheelchair through the line. She loved the treed walkway and music, the game, the dripping water that lights up, the 'log' house/mine, and turning every barrel! She yelled and laughed the whole ride, and at the end said she wished it had been longer. :happy: My 90 yr old mother in law did not ride it, saying the Goofy coaster was "just right" for her.

So, in retrospect, I see that the goal of 7DMT was a family coaster with an immersive theme and interesting queue that nearly everyone could enjoy. In that, they succeeded. With such variety in the park, there is something everyone can enjoy- and that was Walt's goal.

RoadTrip

Not when one cost less than half the other. Even inflation adjusted. But in that case, Mermaid to Horizons.

How about BTM and Everest ? Little Mermaid to Haunted Mansion?

Medicority is too easily accepted nowerdays.
You are comparing new offerings to some of the most outstanding attractions Disney ever created. That is hardly fair... not every new attraction will be "one of the best". None of the ORIGINAL DL attractions would stand up well in a comparison to Horizons, BTM and Haunted Mansion. Occasionally Disney does hit it out of the park with a new attraction like they did with Tower of Terror. Can we really expect more than that?

Brer Panther

In regards to the "dark rides that make you feel as though you're in the story" thing, I think a dark ride that does this well without making you feel like you are the character (I can see why they stopped doing that. When they tried it with Snow White, everyone just wondered where she was) is Pooh. You're not supposed to feel like you're in Pooh's role, but characters do interact with you (notably Tigger) and the vehicle moves in different fashions to make you feel as though you're bouncing with Tigger or floating in the flood waters.

Figments Friend

( regarding 'Expedition Everest' )

As I said. Mediocrity is accepted more today.

Let's continue in a few weeks. I'm kind of busy at the mo.

Martin, i am interested in hearing more of your thoughts on 'Expedition Everest' when the time allows.
I would like to hear your opinion on what aspects of that Attraction fall short and place it at a lower level tier category for you.
Besides the obvious disappointment in the current Yeti and his near non-existant movement, what are some of the things you feel have shortcomings?
I am not questioning your opinion, and i'm not trying to start a argument or anything.
I'm just generally interested in what your thoughts are on the subject.

Is it the on-ride experience?
The themed exterior/queue but little on view on the actual Attraction?
Is it the poor upkeep as far as keeping the various effects fully operational?

I prefer 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' myself, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about 'Everest'.
i agree with your earlier points regarding mediocrity being more easily accepted now.
There are countless examples of this at just WDW alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom