Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ignohippo

I agree with that, but, I do think that compared on an equal basis it just seems like a cheap fill in. Mileage may vary! :)

Seems pretty amazing to me, considering the IP it's based on. I don't know how stye could've done anything better with that IP.
Given that they've built Springfield right next to it, I doubt it's a "fill in." It definitely won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Ignohippo

The Slinky Dog looks like a very good family coaster. Based on reviews of Maters the alien ride should be a lot of fun. TSMM will have added capacity and hopefully better availability. Based on the concept art I think the area will be much more attractive than it was and will look better than the other Toy Story lands (hopefully some of the greenery really shows up!) I really think this land is a winner and a major DHS upgrade.

Meh. Not enough attractions for the amount of land it takes up, if you ask me.

Goofyernmost

Seems pretty amazing to me, considering the IP it's based on. I don't know how stye could've done anything better with that IP.
Given that they've built Springfield right next to it, I doubt it's a "fill in." It definitely won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
No, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't permanent, but, COMPARATIVELY, it is a long way away from BttF, in content, detailed theme and design. It put you right in the scene and made you believe you were part of it. Simpson is good but you are always in a cartoon. Just not the same. I suspect that you might not have ever ridden Back to the Future, but, it was one of the best simulator rides that I have ever seen. It was intense in many ways in the interior queue, after you got into the building was fun. Simpsons, was fun as well, but, the two cannot be compared to any even degree. But, enough about Universal. How's the Toy Story expansion coming along.

DisDan

No, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't permanent, but, COMPARATIVELY, it is a long way away from BttF, in content, detailed theme and design. It put you right in the scene and made you believe you were part of it. Simpson is good but you are always in a cartoon. Just not the same. I suspect that you might not have ever ridden Back to the Future, but, it was one of the best simulator rides that I have ever seen. It was intense in many ways in the interior queue, after you got into the building was fun. Simpsons, was fun as well, but, the two cannot be compared to any even degree. But, enough about Universal. How's the Toy Story expansion coming along.

I have to agree here. BttF was one of the more iconic rides from my childhood. First off, I loved the movies growing up so it already had that going for it. Secondly, the attraction was one of (if not the first) screen based simulator rides in Orlando. It was always a MUST-DO whenever we would visit USF as a child and even as a teenager in HIgh School (in Miami) we would often to day trips to Universal with friends or as field trips with school, BttF, Kongfontation, EQ, ET, .... Lot's of good memories. But BttF was always a favorite of mine, I am not so thrilled with the Simpsons, to be honest, but then again I was never an Simpsons fan.

Goofyernmost

I have to agree here. BttF was one of the more iconic rides from my childhood. First off, I loved the movies growing up so it already had that going for it. Secondly, the attraction was one of (if not the first) screen based simulator rides in Orlando. It was always a MUST-DO whenever we would visit USF as a child and even as a teenager in HIgh School (in Miami) we would often to day trips to Universal with friends or as field trips with school, BttF, Kongfontation, EQ, ET, .... Lot's of good memories. But BttF was always a favorite of mine, I am not so thrilled with the Simpsons, to be honest, but then again I was never an Simpsons fan.
I believe that "Body Wars" was the first screen based one. I don't remember if Star Tours was there before BttF, but, it might have been. Universal, back in that time had a reputation for highly deceiving queue lines. Just when you thought you were ready to go in the building, you would take a turn and seem like you were at the end again. That was common for all the rides, especially King Kong. Those two were the worst.

Mouse_Trap

Universal has already opened the Simpson's area with carnival booths and flat spinners without any criticism.
Disney releases some concept art, and it's a 'mishmash'. :-(

It received plenty of criticism, but overall, its very well done. Not just this, but it was done to plus an existing area ON TOP of everything else Universal were building at the same time, notably Diagon Alley and Transformers all in the same park.

If Disney was doing this reimagination on top of rolling out quality additions over the last decade, nobody would be complaining. Instead we get 10 years of stagnation then some very half-baked replacements which may not open for 3 years or more yet.

I'll never understand Disney fans obsession with attractions with no height restrictions.
In the last 10+ years, I think its because Disney's not built any rides that warrant decent height restrictions. They have to get excited about the few kiddie rides they get, because there is nothing else.

Let's hope its even better than Paradise Pier. It's much improved compared to DCA 1.0, but its still rather uninspired.
It's still a proper rollercoaster short...or at least an E ticket.

Evolution

Universal has already opened the Simpson's area with carnival booths and flat spinners without any criticism.

Disney releases some concept art, and it's a 'mishmash'. :-(

You do realize Storybook Circus is literally carnival booths and flat spinners?

Plus Krusty Land is an actual place in the Simpsons world. Can't say the same thing for Toy Story.

RSoxNo1

Agreed. B and Cs are desperately needed. Only thing is, with the space TSPL will have, there could, and should, be quite a few more.

I don't thing 4 or 5 carney rides and the roller coaster is to much to ask for. And it doesn't look like there's a "play" area either (which the park could certainly use a new one).
I would have liked to see a new Luigi's equivalent as well as the Mater's equivalent that we're getting in addition to the Coaster.

RSoxNo1

I am still holding out hope for a couple of Double Ds

I am thinking, "Jessica Rabbit - The Ride"
The first DD Ticket
wizard3.jpg

djkidkaz

For those complaining about the amount of attractions just wait until Carsland is announced with its own version of rides and built in between toy story land and Star Wars land and everyone will be happy.

doctornick

For those complaining about the amount of attractions just wait until Carsland is announced with its own version of rides and built in between toy story land and Star Wars land and everyone will be happy.

I actually suspect that on the footprint of Catastrophe Canyon, LMA and SoA (not the Muppets area), we'll probably see two different Pixar lands with one being Cars and a second one being something else (most likely either Monsters Inc or The Incredibles or maybe a mismosh of different IPs). There's a lot of space not accounted for yet in DHS and $2.8B is a heck of a lot of money, even if a significant chunk is going towards infrastructure.

But the thing is that people who are saying that "only 4 new rides are coming" are getting worried prematurely. More is on the way than just what has been announced.

HauntedMansionFLA

I actually suspect that on the footprint of Catastrophe Canyon, LMA and SoA (not the Muppets area), we'll probably see two different Pixar lands with one being Cars and a second one being something else (most likely either Monsters Inc or The Incredibles or maybe a mismosh of different IPs). There's a lot of space not accounted for yet in DHS and $2.8B is a heck of a lot of money, even if a significant chunk is going towards infrastructure.

But the thing is that people who are saying that "only 4 new rides are coming" are getting worried prematurely. More is on the way than just what has been announced.
Yep, one wouldn't want to show their entire hand all at once. They gave us the Pixar and Star Wars announcement to please fans. There is more real estate in the park to work with. It will be a pretty sweet park once all said and done. It takes time.

doctornick

People seriously still think a Carsland is coming? o_O

I wouldn't necessarily predict a full size Cars Land like DCS (though there is certainly room for it if Disney wants to build it) but I would very surprised if we don't get some sort of Cars content in the DHS overhaul in the next 5-6 years. The property moves too much merch -- and has another film on the way -- to be ignored by the synergy obsessed culture of Disney management.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom