Trip Report Solo Trip 2.0

Hello, pixie dust snorters!! I'm back again with another trip report and I intend to finish this one! For those of you who don't know me (I've been a little scarce around the forums lately), my name is Tracy! I'm a 27 year old recent college graduate, veteran, and old married lady. This photo was taken during solo trip 1.0:

TbVL7d2.png

My first solo trip was over Thanksgiving 2013 (you can read about it here) and I had such a fantastic time I knew I had to schedule another trip ASAP! Unfortunately, ASAP took almost two years to come, but I made it at last!

The Basics
Who: Just me!
When: August 23-27
Where: Saratoga Springs Resort
Why: Graduation gift to myself!

This trip report will be fairly short as I was only at the World for three full days, but I hope you'll stick around and enjoy it with me!

rufio

Original Poster
Day One

I woke up bright and early and got on the road around 8:30am. (Note:this is incredibly early for me as I've taken the summer off from adulting and prefer to sleep in at least until the ripe old hour of 9.) The drive was about 9 hours and was relatively painless. I made a couple stops, but somehow managed not to lose too much time. There was some pretty heavy rain (check out that line in the sky!), but it wasn't the worst I've ever driven through and didn't last long.

20368825013_aef77c0587.jpg

I listened to audiobooks (Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas, for those who are curious) and podcasts on the way and it made the drive go by pretty smoothly!!

The Disney World sign came into view around 5pm, so I didn't make bad time at all! I pulled into the parking lot at Saratoga Springs Resort at 5:15 and went to check in. The CM working the desk seemed very (VERY) confused by the fact that I had brought my own MNSSHP magic band and didn't need a gray one. She actually didn't even put my room key on it until I asked! Finally I got it sorted out though and found my room... basically in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with Saratoga Springs, but that place is massive.

jwi5fkM.jpg

My room was on the 3rd floor over at The Grandstand, which seemed a million miles away from everything. I had requested to be near the walkway to Downtown Disney. As you can see, that didn't happen... Luckily, the boat was fairly close though. The upside of the bus was that The Grandstand is their first stop, so that was nice coming back from the parks. The downside was that making four additional stops throughout the resort easily added on an extra 10-15 minutes to every bus ride. But I digress.

The room was shockingly similar to the room I shared with my mom at the Boardwalk Villas in December! The layout was identical but with (obviously) different decor. There was plenty of room and a pretty nice view from the balcony.

bKXamF6.jpg

Once I unpacked I was STARVING!! I debated for a few minutes whether to just grab something from the pool bar, but ended up I taking the boat to Disney Springs (is it officially Disney Springs now?) and made the trek from the West Side to the Marketplace to grab some dinner at Earl of Sandwich.

02bYmj7.jpg

I had the Full Montagu and a bowl of tomato soup, which was really good!! I also stopped at Goofy's to have a rice crispy treat made, since that's my favorite!! I was kind of disappointed by what I found... The prices were the same and I thought nothing of it as I filled out my form. When the CM started making it though, I watched as she very carefully dipped the very edge of one side of the rice crispy treat in the chocolate... They used to just dunk the whole thing in, bury it in your topping, covering the entire thing with a thick coating of whatever you requested. Now they seem to make extra sure they use as little of the ingredients as possible while still getting a little on it.

They used to look like this:

WIN4V1I.jpg

Now they look like this:

BQb94Zi.jpg

I asked the CM about it and she went on a rant about how mad it made her and how "this isn't why people come to Goofy's." Then she said she needed to shut up before she got in trouble! Haha! I took my snack and left, but I doubt I'll go back again. It seems dumb to pay the same price for something of inferior quality.

At that point I was spent, so I made the long walk back to the boat on the West Side and back to my room to turn in early.

DisSplash

Wow - a trip all your own to WDW! When I travel alone, I am only working, so it's not the same thing. But maybe someday I could do this too! While my husband might go for it, my kids (11 and 8) would never, never allow this to happen now! I would be totally guilted into letting them tag along. And let's face it ... they (and their excitement) are part the reason I love WDW so much! But kudos to you on graduating and treating yourself to such a spectacular mini-vacation!

sheriffwoody

How fun! I am 27 also, and kind of jealous of your solo trip. I would LOVE that. Can't wait to see more! Heading off to read your 2013 report now :)

RiceCrispyMickey

Great trip report so far. I'm going in November and was so looking forward to getting another rice crispy treat from goofy's (see profile picture to left lol!) thats so sucky that they are no longer as good! I hope they get complaints and change it back by November lol!

rufio

Original Poster
Day Two, Part One

I woke up at 9am and made oatmeal to eat in my room over an episode of Survivor. I'd brought my Roku since I can't stand cable and on a solo trip there's some downtime in the room and I needed something to fill my time.

20886943798_7db511062c.jpg

I hopped on the bus to Animal Kingdom with one thing in mind - Harambe Market. Because food. I got to the park around 11:30am, but didn't plan to spend much time there. The crowds weren't terrible and most lines were between 20 and 40 minutes.

0kYG2sn.jpg

Dinosaur was my first stop! I listened to my audiobook in the line and saw some... interesting outfits. The ride itself was awesome though! All of the effects even seemed to be working, which we all know is pretty hit or miss.

21082509431_796accdd89.jpg

Next I got in the single rider line for Expedition Everest and got on after about a 10 minute wait in the blazing sun. I rode with a really nice family and had an absolute blast!

Finally, I went over to Harambe Market. I waited in line for what seemed like hours, but was really only a few minutes. The sun was out in force and there was NOWHERE to hide! I got the beef kabob flatbread with broccoli and tomato salad with the African milk tart for dessert! The main dish and side were fantastic, but the dessert wasn't for me.

Y2zDOVf.jpg

When I was done eating the rain clouds had started moving in and I knew I was going to have to move fast to miss the downpour! I basically ran towards the bus stops and made it JUST in time! As soon as I was under the shelter it started pouring like crazy. And I also made a terrible discovery. I had been using a really cool cross body purse my dad brought me from Ecuador... and it seems the leather wasn't sealed properly.

20888049619_33731ccb15.jpg

As you can see, there is a leather-colored line across my body and it also continues around the back. I definitely have to figure out how to fix that before I try using it again!

I got back on the bus and headed back to my room to wait out the rain.

FlaggNL

Great start of the TR! Love the pics and the stories :) And wow a solo-trip :) Off course congrats with the graduation! Absolutely following along! Thanks for sharing!

DisSplash

I hope that purse stain did not ruin your cool Maleficent top! I was pretty annoyed the last time I was in the parks in 2013 when I bought a brand-new Dismey Dooney & Bourke cross-body bag, which I of course wore proudly the whole time, but which ruined a lot of my soft cotton tops - the stitching on the leather strap pilled up the cotton (front and back). Lesson learned --- No more Dooney! ......
OK, OK, just kiddin'! I'm not that crazy -- I may still get a Dooney, BUT I will be paying a whole lot more attention to the strap stitching next time!

Your photos show such a beautiful blue sky - it always amazes me how quickly those rain clouds roll in down there!

rufio

Original Poster
I hope that purse stain did not ruin your cool Maleficent top! I was pretty annoyed the last time I was in the parks in 2013 when I bought a brand-new Dismey Dooney & Bourke cross-body bag, which I of course wore proudly the whole time, but which ruined a lot of my soft cotton tops - the stitching on the leather strap pilled up the cotton (front and back). Lesson learned --- No more Dooney! ......
OK, OK, just kiddin'! I'm not that crazy -- I may still get a Dooney, BUT I will be paying a whole lot more attention to the strap stitching next time!

Your photos show such a beautiful blue sky - it always amazes me how quickly those rain clouds roll in down there!

Oh WOW! I would be so upset if a Dooney did that to my clothes! I've never had a crossbody, but I love my HM Dooney bag! I'll have to keep that in mind when I buy my next one... By the way, the leather stain did wash out, thank goodness! ;)

rufio

Original Poster
Day Two, Part Two

I hung out in my room to wait out the rain and then jumped on another bus for Magic Kingdom and was there by 3pm!

21165561432_b3fbcedb66.jpg

The crowds weren't too bad, definitely nothing like earlier in the summer based on past experience!

21165560862_1c5119f11a.jpg

The first stop once I was inside Magic Kingdom was using my first FastPass+ at the Haunted Mansion! On the way there, though, I saw some really interesting construction. I'm not quite sure what they're working on, but I WAS really surprised that it was so open instead of being covered like normal.

3PCuNcN.jpg

At Haunted Mansion I noticed some upgrades from the last refurbishment and the ride looked great overall! Of course, I'll always love it no matter what.

Next was Under the Sea Journey of the Little Mermaid. The wait said 15 minutes, but it was really a walk-on! It seems to be most of the time, actually...

20989004399_eacfda196d.jpg

I noticed that the Under the Sea scene has had a HUGE makeover and looks absolutely amazing. I am in love with the new, dark ride feeling of the scene and I also noticed the new Ariel touches! Loved it! But (there's always a "but") there was an annoying woman taking flash photos the whole time though... Guys. Don't do that.

I did some window shopping on Main Street to kill time until my next FastPass+ and gazed longingly at several Jim Shore pieces I'm dying to get, especially the Haunted Mansion organ player!

Then it was time for my Peter Pan FP! This is one of my favorites! I had just looked at some updates to Peter Pan's Flight online and the entire time I was on the ride I was looking for the new touches... only to find none. It was only AFTER the ride that I realized the refurb had been done to the ride in California! Haha!

Dinner was at Columbia Harbor House where I had the (best ever) chicken pot pie and read a book on my Kindle while overlooking Fantasyland. Then it was time for Splash Mountain! Unfortunately for everyone else and fortunately for me, the ride broke down just as we were getting ready to go over the second small drop. Eventually the Cast Members rescued us and led us backstage where we were able to see the building the floats are stored for the parades! So cool!!

NlNygx4.png

I know that other people get really annoyed when rides break down... but I totally LOVE any opportunity to see what goes on backstage. We were given extra paper FastPasses for any ride except a few of the newer ones. The people in front of me were getting ready to leave for the day and gave me their extras too. I used mine for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh!

20553155234_4bd0201b5e.jpg

I'm aware that I'm a 27 year old woman, but there is just something about Pooh Bear! I will always love this ride and will always make time for it! Afterwards I decided to give my extra Fast Passes to a family I met on the way back to Main Street.

As I was preparing to leave I found out that a friend of mine had just moved to the area and was staying on property for a few days. We agreed to meet at Disney Springs where we had Ghirardelli Ice Cream and did more window shopping. I made it back to my room around 10:30 and relaxed with some Roku before bed.

worldfanatic

Ride breakdowns are actually pretty cool for a Disney Nut (as long as your not stuck waiting for too long).
I think Splash Mountain would be one of the better ones to walk off of.
My best "evacuation" so far has been the Matterhorn at Disneyland.

DWLove

Earlier this year pirates broke down and we were evacuated…we were not even allowed to have phones/cameras out at all so now opportunity for pictures! Wish I had of been able to though, saw a Move It Shake It float just going down the road with no music and no characters, was actually kind of creepy

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Two comments ~

The construction you saw in Adventureland was for the new Skipper's Canteen restaurant set to open late this year.

By using a fastpass for Peter Pan, you missed out on the totally new and amazing interactive queue. On your next visit, hit Peter Pan first thing in the morning to experience the standby queue ...you won't regret it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom