The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

It's all part of the new security precautions since Sandy Hook. They want to know where the little angels are at every moment of the day. I need to show ID just to drop off something.

When our kiddos were in elementary school, you were able to just walk into the school. I would leave the office on Half-day Friday and head to the school to help out (I would bring my guitar for some music time, help kiddos with reading, etc., in my kiddos classes), and then take them home. Both myself and DWifey were very well-known at the school, as we were very involved, so that probably helped, although there was no formal policy that I remember.
In middle school, you were required to check in with the office.
By the time they got to HS, you were required to check in at the office, present ID, and you got a sticky name tag (if it was your first visit that year, you had to have your DL scanned) with your DL pic on it, before you could continue into the school.
All this in a neighborhood with one of the lowest crime rates you could imagine.
Different time, now...

donaldtoo

Or, instead of dreading the visit to the doctor . . . did you ever watch the tv series, Columbo, about the quirky, but brilliant, police detective? (I used to love that show.) He wasn't into guns, and he used to con one of his colleagues to take his badge and go to the gun shooting range, and take the shooting test for him!

I was just thinking that if you had a friend that sort of looked like you, and was within the weight range your doctor prefers, you could pull a "Columbo"! :D

Hahaaa...!
Loved that show! :)
This was always one of my favorite parts...

image.jpg

:joyfull:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My home town was like that...we did have a grocery store, but no one shopped there except for the things like bread and milk that you need pretty much daily, or in the case you mentioned that you forgot something. But the closest town to us was 40 miles away, so we mostly did our shopping once every 2 weeks or so and threw everything in the freezer and bought milk and bread from the local store. My mom was originally from Dundee, IL and that seemed like a huge city to us as kids, but what we thought was amazing was that you could drive from Dundee into Elgin without even realizing they were different towns. In Wyoming, everything is so spread out...in one direction the next town was 40 miles away. In the other direction, the next town was 35 miles away, but its population was 7. Not counting that town, the next was 75 miles. We drove an hour and a half to get to any town other than the one that was closest to us. We were used to not having Walmart, target, etc.

It has been many years but have been to Dundee IL, many a time I took my DS to Santa's Village. Growing up as a little kid my Aunt would take us out there and then we would have lunch at the Milk Pail. Good times for my Sis and I who were Chicago Suburbanites out in the boonies. Ha! What little I knew about what the future would hold for me.

Gabe1

Our schools sold school supplies at the school bookstore. So everyone got the "approved" supplies. No individuality encouraged back in those days. Or more probably, just not that much to choose .:(

Our school district does offer that too. Unfortunately it is way overpriced and beyond generic. On the flip side some of these school supplies that also double as toys are a real distraction while the teachers are trying to get some of these students to focus.

When I was small there was a TV show called Get Smart. My Dad always watched it. I was fascinated with some of his gadgets as a kid. I had daydreams of having a watch that I could watch TV on and play with during school. Little did I know....

Gabe1

Good I've been laying in bed too long in the mornings. I've got to get up earlier and move more. The 6 month Dr. appt. is coming up.

Opposite of my problem as of late. I am naturally nocturnal and have been known to be an insomniac. Lately I pull my laptop out about now and could play for a while, now I just fall asleep, more I think pass out cause I move all day long. But now I am waking real early for me. Today it was around 4am, just crazy. I refused to get up and kept trying to go back to sleep which I did about 6am only to have my alarm start talking to me 40 minutes later. I preferred the insomniac thing.

catmom46

Our school district does offer that too. Unfortunately it is way overpriced and beyond generic. On the flip side some of these school supplies that also double as toys are a real distraction while the teachers are trying to get some of these students to focus.

When I was small there was a TV show called Get Smart. My Dad always watched it. I was fascinated with some of his gadgets as a kid. I had daydreams of having a watch that I could watch TV on and play with during school. Little did I know....

I loved that show. Don Adams was hilarious and even though Cone of Silence was my favorite, I also liked the shoe phone:

getsmart-shoe-phone.jpg

catmom46

Just so you all know, this is my first ever trip report. I've written lots of reviews, but never a whole report from start to finish, so please bear with me as I muddle through this, as I may provide more details than needed. First, statistics: I tallied up my ride count and the total was 21 rides within a 10-hour period, which included 3 snack/meal breaks and 1 rest break. Not too shabby, right? I probably could've done more had I planned better, but since I've never been a FASTPASS expert, I didn't realize I could get another one after the return start time of my current FP. Live and learn. Anyway, I did at least plan to get to the park an hour before it opened, so I'd have enough time to buy my annual passport. I left my house around 8:10am and fortunately traffic was light, so I arrived by 8:45 and snapped my first pic (yes, I was driving, but I figured it was safe with no one in front of me, plus I was only going about 5 MPH :D):
20150831_084710.jpg

The little piece of plastic that will provide 170 days of enjoyment throughout the year!
15%2B-%2B1

Waiting at the gates (I ended up going in on the left side where there were less people, though):
15%2B-%2B1

And apparently they let people into the park 30 minutes before the official opening time, and rope off the paths at the hub, in order to minimize crowds outside the park and of course, give you the opportunity to do some leisurely shopping on Main Street. However, the Jolly Holiday Bakery Café wasn't open yet, which would have been nice, as I didn't have my usual coffee that morning. So I took the opportunity to snap some pics.
IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

My plan was to go to Space Mountain first, since it doesn't have a single rider line, and grab a FP before going on it. Pretty much a walk-on; by the time I was about to get on, the first riders were just returning into the loading area. Here are some pics walking through the line.
IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

Next, I went on Matterhorn twice, both times pretty much walked on through single rider line. I decided I like the left side better, though. And besides the other pic I've already posted, I only got this one, plus a 2-minute video of the entire ride, which isn't too bad but I didn't have the GoPro, so it's from my regular camera. If you're interested, I can post that as well or PM the YouTube link to you directly.
20150831_102626.jpg

Next, I decided to go on Big Thunder, and stopped at the restroom along the way (and of course had to take a couple pics).
yWXGhgFwH1E27eDUL_THw4-DdJ-Ss5T6CJFk9z5l0_8=w794-h595-no

BnGmD8HkvNzcRdvCJl7BY1nRdsZA3QqKvLF1eENJhcw=w794-h595-no

catmom46

Some pics on the way to Big Thunder:
IMG_3288.JPG

IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3292.JPG

I think it was probably about a 10-15 minute wait at BT, so I was able to snap a few pics in line and on the ride.
IMG_3297.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG

I got lucky number 13! :D
IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG
IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

And I think I'll stop here for now. This took longer than I thought it would! But, please let me know if I'm posting too many pics and I'll cut back.

Figgy1

Premium Member
The amazing adventures of humans doing a triple summersault deluxe jamba mamba jump on to your bed or couch rivalling the jumps of the famous Keiko whale (Free Willy).
Then you just flop there and snooze like a cat.

anyway.. being serious. I'm a IT engineer, and my hours are completely crapastic.
so I have to take naps.
I pretty much have my 8 hour sleeping schedule split in 2.
and I sometimes go to sleep at 4:00 am.
Sympathy like. I'm an early to bed early to rise type of person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom