Upcoming WDW Trip...kicked out of Coronado Springs

JusticeDisney

I'm sorry but this is really bad business by Disney. All hotels are not the same, and even all hotels within a particular category are not the same. If you reserve a specific type of room in a specific resort, then that's the room you should get. Period. End of story.

bethram

We are books at CSR for right after Thanksgiving as well, but in a Business Class room. I wonder if we will get a call....

Marianm

This thread keeps firing me up, and I hate to keep hijacking it, but... I really think you need to call and speak to someone, not the person who answers the phone, but that persons supervisor. Air your grievances. as someone said, it's just bad business.

Missymoe4

It really doesn't seem any further out than most other resorts unless you are used to a monorail resort or the boardwalk area hotels. Everyone I recommend it to says they will never stay anywhere else. At least try it for a split stay!

I think I will try it once. My "home" resort is the Contemporary.

RustyB.

Kind of reviving an older thread here .... but this happened to our family this week. Received the phone call from Chris @ Small World Vacations (awesome lady and Disney travel services agent btw!!!) indicating that we were being kicked from our Coronado Springs business class room for the 3rd week in September (booked last year as part of bounce back offer). We have stayed in CSR business class for the past two years and POR:FQ for the two years prior to that.

The Disney cast member/agent had contacted her to relay the information to us, and was offering no charge move to either the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, or Animal Kingdom Lodge. All were going to be club level access to make up for the business class exchange. There wasn't much explanation given outside of "Disney wants your room". After asking, I was also informed that this wasn't optional - we had to move.

The compensation to a deluxe resort is nice/awesome, however this is one of those cases of who moved my cheese. My family likes staying in the BC rooms at CSR because of location, the resort pool, and the restaurants. With only 6 weeks til trip time, this was sort of a stressful decision since we had never been to any of the other resort offerings. With the recent incident at the GF, and having two children under 10, I pretty much vetoed the GF option as I didn't want that extra worry (rational or not...I know FL is full of gators....). We had been interested in the Wilderness Lodge but the current construction and seemingly large complaints on transportation issues made that decision a little hesitant. We then ended up with taking the Animal Kingdom Lodge option with Savanna view club level access. The kids and wife and pretty excited now about that resort after watching a lot of YouTube videos and review sites. I'm more excited now as well.

I guess the biggest heartburn for me and a warning to others is that you can be moved from your resort of choice without warning and without recourse. Disney *did* make this right with a very nice upgrade at no additional cost and I'm not overlooking that. My concern is for those families that may have their hearts set on a particular resort (it could even be their dream resort - no matter the price level) for either the first trip or the tenth, only to be moved to another resort.

I am reasonably sure there is some fine print somewhere in the booking agreement that Disney can do this at will - and I'm sure there are folks that are more than welcoming to the upgrade. It was just one of those unexpected changes that caught us off guard.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Kind of reviving an older thread here .... but this happened to our family this week. Received the phone call from Chris @ Small World Vacations (awesome lady and Disney travel services agent btw!!!) indicating that we were being kicked from our Coronado Springs business class room for the 3rd week in September (booked last year as part of bounce back offer). We have stayed in CSR business class for the past two years and POR:FQ for the two years prior to that.

The Disney cast member/agent had contacted her to relay the information to us, and was offering no charge move to either the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, or Animal Kingdom Lodge. All were going to be club level access to make up for the business class exchange. There wasn't much explanation given outside of "Disney wants your room". After asking, I was also informed that this wasn't optional - we had to move.

The compensation to a deluxe resort is nice/awesome, however this is one of those cases of who moved my cheese. My family likes staying in the BC rooms at CSR because of location, the resort pool, and the restaurants. With only 6 weeks til trip time, this was sort of a stressful decision since we had never been to any of the other resort offerings. With the recent incident at the GF, and having two children under 10, I pretty much vetoed the GF option as I didn't want that extra worry (rational or not...I know FL is full of gators....). We had been interested in the Wilderness Lodge but the current construction and seemingly large complaints on transportation issues made that decision a little hesitant. We then ended up with taking the Animal Kingdom Lodge option with Savanna view club level access. The kids and wife and pretty excited now about that resort after watching a lot of YouTube videos and review sites. I'm more excited now as well.

I guess the biggest heartburn for me and a warning to others is that you can be moved from your resort of choice without warning and without recourse. Disney *did* make this right with a very nice upgrade at no additional cost and I'm not overlooking that. My concern is for those families that may have their hearts set on a particular resort (it could even be their dream resort - no matter the price level) for either the first trip or the tenth, only to be moved to another resort.

I am reasonably sure there is some fine print somewhere in the booking agreement that Disney can do this at will - and I'm sure there are folks that are more than welcoming to the upgrade. It was just one of those unexpected changes that caught us off guard.
Your story is surprisingly not all that unique which took me aback a bit when this fact was first revealed to me. I mean who would not want an upgrade from a moderate to a club level deluxe room for freeeeeeeee! Right?

The reality is that not everyone does. Many people like you book a certain room at a certain resort because that is what you want. End of story. This is one reason why they seem to do everything they can to avoid making that phone call in the first place.

In all honesty, the CM you were speaking with most likely had no idea why the room was no longer available. He/she merely knows that they need to move and will pretty much do anything they can to make you say OK and to be happy to say it.

21stamps

That's kind of my dream scenario.
Right?! That's like 60% off room rates!!

If I was booked at POFQ and got moved to a larger moderate I would be upset. In your situation the transportation options are much better than where you were originally booked! Congrats and have a great time!

RustyB.

If I was booked at POFQ and got moved to a larger moderate I would be upset. In your situation the transportation options are much better than where you were originally booked! Congrats and have a great time!

We've been actually pretty happy with the transportation at CSR - the BC rooms are right at El Centro, so it's like a 30 to 60 second walk to the bus stop. Haven't had any problems catching buses - most likely to us going in 'off season' in September. Hopefully as you are stating, the AKL transportation is just as good or better!

...and thanks! As noted, the upgrade is nice/awesome and smoothed this out for us (sans the minor stress of picking which one).

Tony the Tigger

We've been actually pretty happy with the transportation at CSR - the BC rooms are right at El Centro, so it's like a 30 to 60 second walk to the bus stop. Haven't had any problems catching buses - most likely to us going in 'off season' in September. Hopefully as you are stating, the AKL transportation is just as good or better!

...and thanks! As noted, the upgrade is nice/awesome and smoothed this out for us (sans the minor stress of picking which one).

but instead of alligators, you have lions. (just kidding!)

21stamps

I have never stayed at AKL, just recently booked a Club Level room there for Thanksgiving 2016, so I can't speak for their transportation. I'm just a fan of smaller resorts, views, and boat or monorail access. This may sound crazy, but after a little over a week at Poly we tried to extend for an extra night to give us time to do Disney Springs, they were sold out. I chose POFQ over a few other options solely because of size and convenience to Disney Springs. I thought CSR had multiple bus stops, but maybe I'm confusing it with CBR?lol

Anyway, I was surprised to learn how many activities AKL has throughout the day!!! Make sure to check some out! Also with club level they have apps, samples, and deserts from Boma and Jiko apparently! I'm excited bc we only plan on ordering room service and probably eating falafels at Mara (I've hear they have good ones!), so the club level selections will be great for us to try.

I never once considered AKL before this trip, solely due to location, and now I understand why people choose to stay there. I'm sure you will love it!!! Your trip is before mine, so please post photos and give some reports!

RustyB.

I have never stayed at AKL, just recently booked a Club Level room there for Thanksgiving 2016, so I can't speak for their transportation. I'm just a fan of smaller resorts, views, and boat or monorail access. This may sound crazy, but after a little over a week at Poly we tried to extend for an extra night to give us time to do Disney Springs, they were sold out. I chose POFQ over a few other options solely because of size and convenience to Disney Springs. I thought CSR had multiple bus stops, but maybe I'm confusing it with CBR?lol

Anyway, I was surprised to learn how many activities AKL has throughout the day!!! Make sure to check some out! Also with club level they have apps, samples, and deserts from Boma and Jiko apparently! I'm excited bc we only plan on ordering room service and probably eating falafels at Mara (I've hear they have good ones!), so the club level selections will be great for us to try.

I never once considered AKL before this trip, solely due to location, and now I understand why people choose to stay there. I'm sure you will love it!!! Your trip is before mine, so please post photos and give some reports!

I'm with you - I do prefer the smaller resorts. We would still be staying at PO:FQ every year if it were up to me. However....after the second year there (2013), the free dining plan excluded PO:FQ so we decided to try CSR. Our view of CSR is somewhat limited though since we stayed in business class both years (2014 and 2015), which is Cabanas 9B right beside El Centro and only about 3 minute walk from the pool. Being further away in other sections could have made the resort less pleasant. CSR does have 4 bus stops with El Centro being last for both drop off and pick up. That being said though, we never had issues with catching the bus or having it be full/SRO. That may have just been off season experience since we always go in mid-September.

Yes! We have been researching the AKL and have found out about many activities as you mentioned. We have limited downtime from the parks, but are going to try to get involved in some of these. We were even able to change our ADR from Whispering Canyon on arrival night to Boma at AKL. I will try to circle back and post impressions and pics before your trip comes up.

daisyduckie

You have hit this one square on the head. There is fine print that boils down to you have a room reserved, but it doesn't have to be at the resort you picked. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often. And fortunately for you, they offered an upgrade instead of a downgraded. That also happens from time to time.

I have CSR booked for the first week of October, and I would love to get a call offering the Grand Floridian. Though I might try to negotiate for the Contemporary.

21stamps

You have hit this one square on the head. There is fine print that boils down to you have a room reserved, but it doesn't have to be at the resort you picked. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often. And fortunately for you, they offered an upgrade instead of a downgraded. That also happens from time to time.

I have CSR booked for the first week of October, and I would love to get a call offering the Grand Floridian. Though I might try to negotiate for the Contemporary.
Does a downgrade ever happen? If I'm booked at CR or the Poly could they ever switch me? I would probably change my trip dates of that happened, no joke. Booking the resort is my biggest decision of the trip..and I choose them for very specific reasons.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Does a downgrade ever happen? If I'm booked at CR or the Poly could they ever switch me? I would probably change my trip dates of that happened, no joke. Booking the resort is my biggest decision of the trip..and I choose them for very specific reasons.

Can you imagine if guests staying at either GF or Poly received such phone calls?! There'd be calls for Iger's head (like that's not happening now).

In reading through posts, it appears that the relocations were due to large groups (convention, sports competition, etc.) staying at the affected resort(s). I doubt if either GF or Poly books large groups such as those, even though GF does have a convention center.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom