Why are so many resorts unavailable?

mikey531

Original Poster
We were planning on going to Disney Worl 12/4 to 12/11 but Pop Century, Carribean Beach Coronado, and Port Orleans are all unavailable? I always thought this was a quiet time of year to go?

Rob562

As a side note, occupancy rates at the hotels really have no major bearing on how busy the parks are. The Disney hotels are routinely at very high occupancy levels year-round. They then provide a base-level crowd in the parks.

In order to know how busy the parks will be you'd have to know how busy all of the *off*-site hotels are, since they're the ones that will add on top of the base-level that the on-site hotels give. Chances are in early December all of those off-site hotels are pretty empty.

-Rob

PinnySmart

December is really not a slow time anymore. I was in the parks at least once a week last December and crowd levels were high on most days. Not Spring Break crowd levels but still crowded. Even on the highest crowd level days lines were still manageable. It sounds weird I know but I never waited more than 30-45 minutes in line. The exceptions were the headliners that always have long lines no matter the time of year such as TT, Soarin', TSMM and 7DMT but I can usually get FP+ one or two days before. The closer to the holidays the more crowded. Some schools start holiday break on the 12 th this year. As some have said the hotels fill up during Pop Warner but I still find the parks manageable.

Kosmo1986

I had the same issue, we are semi local and like to do 2-3 night long weekends and ended up booking a tuesday-friday trip just so that we could still get our discount and preferred hotel.

mikey531

Original Poster
We used to always go between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We were there from 12/12 to 12/20 last year and as you said it was manageable but more than I remembered. I have thought about going Tues to Wed but then that might not work as I assume Disney plans by the week. I will figure it out and be there before our annual passes run out.

mikeyd229

Ioticed this also, looking for a weekend in October, but the website shows most resorts are unavailable. I do think it has to do with the website automatically selecting whatever discount is available.

HolleBolleGijs

Ioticed this also, looking for a weekend in October, but the website shows most resorts are unavailable. I do think it has to do with the website automatically selecting whatever discount is available.
I know for a fact there's a lot of availability for Columbus Day Weekend (Sat-Mon), but barely any for the Thurs-Sat beforehand. This is just based on me modifying my resorts. I haven't checked other weekends.

pixiesteno

It used to be that the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas was slow but then someone "let the cat out of the bag" and it has picked up over the years. The last time we went during that timeframe was in Dec 08 and WDW had offered free dining with a trip of a certain length; so it was really busy. I spent the week hearing "if it wasn't for the free dining we wouldn't be here". So great marketing on WDW's part; sucky if you like going at quiet times. Hope you have a stellar trip anyway.

Disnee4Me

Free dining could be part of the reason. We had our December 2015 trip booked since October 2014, but back in June they offered free dining in December. We had to change our resort from POR to CS to qualify for the free dining.

Matt_Black

One other thing- the time you listed is generally in the window of when they film the Christmas parade. I bet a lot of people booked for precisely that reason.

mikey531

Original Poster
I saw the "Chew" was doing their show in Oct and I wanted to surprise my wife with tickets but they aren't available yet so I booked Coranado Springs with the fall deal for 12/6 to 12/12 I also figured out if you go Sun to Fri it is a lot cheaper for the rooms. My Fri. night is $40. more.

wdwstateofmind

As a side note, occupancy rates at the hotels really have no major bearing on how busy the parks are. The Disney hotels are routinely at very high occupancy levels year-round. They then provide a base-level crowd in the parks.

In order to know how busy the parks will be you'd have to know how busy all of the *off*-site hotels are, since they're the ones that will add on top of the base-level that the on-site hotels give. Chances are in early December all of those off-site hotels are pretty empty.

-Rob
Or you can just look at the Florida school calendar. That is what really dictates how busy the parks are. Other than Labor Day, if it's a school holiday, avoid at all costs...

HouCuseChickie

We went around this time in 2010. I booked really early and had no issues. My brother and SIL tried to book around this time and found very limited availability. I remember a bunch of us stayed at WL, but there was absolutely nothing when they went to book. I seem to recall AKL, BW, and PORS were the only options.

bethymouse

There is absolutely nothing available for November 4-11 time period! I mean only campsites, GF Villas at $480 a night plus Bay Lake I believe. It's crazy! I know there were discounts, but what's going on? It doesn't seem to be "defaulting" to specials. It says literally nothing is available! I was quite surprised! The special goes off sale tomorrow, so I wonder if anything will change at that point. I thought it was just the "crazy messed up" website. Any thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom