Traveling with a Baby

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I am looking for tips and advice from other parents. We are trying to plan a Disney trip for 2016. Our oldest daughter will be five (this will be her 2nd trip). Our youngest will be a baby, she is due this September. Our travel dates are still up in the air, my husband has some things coming up at work and he's not sure when he will be able to get time off yet. Our first choice is late April/early May. So our daughter will be 7/8 months. If that doesn't work out, we will probably go in October. So our daughter will be 13 months. I would much prefer the April/May trip before my daughter is too mobile. I feel it may be easier to have her in a stroller or carrier most of the day. Once she is a year, and probably walking, she may not tolerate the stroller as much. And when our oldest was a baby, she would nap in her stroller but the older she got, she no longer did that.
Anyways just looking for opinions from people who have traveled with babies around these ages. Thanks!

boilerpicc

We went with our daughter when she was 3 months old, 15 months old, and just over 2 years old. My favorite trip so far was the one when she was 15 months old. She was old enough then to know what was going on and enjoy herself on some of the rides, but she was also not super mobile yet. She didn't start walking until a month after we got back. She would still sometimes nap in her stroller, so we didn't always have to leave the park mid-day. It was also really easy to feed her then as well. We had a bunch of the baby food pouches delivered to the resort and would give her those throughout the day. It worked out great. We scheduled most of our table service meals as lunches. We would feed her a little before lunch, and then she usually ended up napping while we ate. When we took her a year later, she was still fine with riding in the stroller, but she wouldn't nap in it anymore. We ended up having to go back to the resort for nap time each day. That was fine, but it didn't leave us a lot of evening time in the parks before bedtime. We are planning on going again with her and her future baby brother sometime early in 2016. It's going to be a completely difference experience with 2 kids. Good luck with your trip.

iluvMainStMagic

We took a big family trip some years ago when our twin granddaughters were about 4mos old. I think the only "bad" part was that it was Sept and they got so hot while their parents were "wearing" them in body carriers (which worked well for riding quite a few attractions) that one of them got a rash from the heat, so they had to cut back on that - but they did fine cruising around in their double stroller, and with a mid-day break to cool off. CM's in all the restaurants (CS & TS) were very helpful with providing hot water to mix up their formula. I thought waiting until they were older would be better, but I am happy to say that I was wrong and it all worked out really well. They were so young, they don't remember anything, but otherwise, we all had a great trip.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Thank you! Great advice. I think the napping in the stroller will be a huge plus. My older daughter will be past the nap phase so having the option of staying after lunch time is a huge plus. And I agree, the feeding will be much easier. We were just discussing ordering things online (diapers, wipes, baby food, formula etc) and having it mailed to our resort. The last minute April/May trip makes me a little nervous as I'm a huge planner but I'm worried the Oct trip when she is 13 months will be trickier. I'm glad to hear others had a good time around that age :)

Mamaof2QTs

We've done Disney at just about every age and season under 3 years old.

I have spent many hours in the baby care center nursing one kid and PUMPING for the other. Nursing is easy. Pumping was a PITA. I had to haul the pump with us everywhere we went. It was so heavy it would flip the stroller unless we put it in the seat when parking the stroller. I was also worried someone would steal a bag just sitting on the stroller then what would I do!?!

Little babies are easier to carry than a toddler, but at 15 months they're not that heavy and the lines will be short in October.

I did wear my youngest in a carrier at 6 months old. Super comfy, but it was during the big freeze last January (when Atlanta froze). So it was nice to get cozy together and throw a blanket on top of her. She was also the one I nursed so it was a breeze, carry her, feed her, change her diaper, ride a ride, repeat.

I hated our Disney cruise when our oldest was 14 months. She was learning to walk and there were so few places for a toddler to explore. We ended up walking the hall outside our cabin for days...

You are going to need diapers and food at either age.

DiSnEyF@n

We went in August when our lo was 6 months. It was a breeze. It was hot (and I did not carry her a lot) but we definitely went back to hotel in the afternoons to rest. She really enjoyed the rides and whatnot, even at 6 months old. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The only thing I could really say about that trip was that the length of it was perfect for the pace we were going at. What I mean is that we went for 9 days. This was great because if we missed something one day it was no big deal. We didn't mind going back to the hotel room because we knew we had so many days to do all the things we wanted.... once, twice and sometimes three times that trip.

I am going solo (without my hubby) in two weeks with our (now) 18 month old. It's only for 3 nights, but it's a short trip just for the two of us. I will let you know how that goes when we get back! lol

popcenturylover

We took our youngest on her 1st trip when she was 8months old & it was one of the best trips we've had yet! She napped in her stroller while we took in alot of things, we went at a slower pace, we used Baby Swap, & didn't feel the need to go back to hotel for a rest.

HollyAD

I took my son for the first time at 11 months old. We drove so I was able to pack what I needed without baggage constraints. I was using powered formula at the time which made things extra simple. I made sure we had a stash of bottled water in the room so I could grab it and pack it for the park. I had the little plastic containers that helped me pre-measure the powered formula. Toting around baby food can be a little inconvenient but there were some options I could utilize at the park/ resort. Even though I didn't have to sterilize his bottles at 11 months old, I still brought microwave sterilizing bags. They were convenient and it gave me a piece of mind that he was drinking from something clean. My son napped in his stroller well past the age of two so I was lucky. I could take him anywhere and he would sleep through it! Don't forget that baby items are expensive in WDW so pack as much as you can or have them shipped to you. I wouldn't want to pay WDW prices for swim diapers!We also made use of having a room on property so I could bring my son back for a cool down and rest. October is a great time of the year to visit. We only do October now. You get a mix of Halloween and fewer crowds but the weather is still nice. With the crowds being more manageable, we were able to make quicker trips back to the rooms. Good luck with your travels, you will be fine no matter what you decide.

Seanual757

We traveled for a 4 day weekend last year when our daughter was 3 months old, she did great and she liked the pool, we traveled again when she was 7 months old for a week again she was great but lot’s of crawling around so you had to keep an eye on her in the room. We will be traveling with her in two weeks @ 13 months old she is walking and running so this will be fun for us. Then again we visit the parks weekly since we are APH & DVC members she loved to be at Disney.

I think you will be fine at any age ours loves to look around she is an outdoor kid so everything is exciting for her.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
You guys are all making me feel so much better- thanks so much! My husband and I decided on fall 2016. Sometime late Sept thru Oct. Our dates are flexible so we are hoping to wait and take advantage of free dining should it be offered again. If our baby is born on time :) she will be 12-13 months old. The only thing I'm a little nervous about is how she'll do in a stroller most of the day. She may be too big to go in a carrier, unless we use a back carrier which we never did with our oldest. And of course, hopefully she's a good sleeper. Two kids in a hotel room will be a whole new adventure.

EOD K9

We took our daughters when they were ten months old. They went on the cruise then spent one day in MK at the end. We rented a stroller from an outside company which was a huge help, but we also used carriers. Those were a help on Small World, Pirates, PP, etc. We also took advantage of the Baby Care Center. One is walking and the other is on the cusp. Their next trip will be when they are 19 months so we are looking forward to that. Baby swap also works wonders on some of the rides. Be sure to use it.

ScarletBegonias

We are leaving in 2 weeks with our 14 month old (she will turn 15 months on the trip). My child is a non- napping, stroller hating, babywearing hating, hates to be constrained in anyway difficult gal! I'm so nervous about this but my mom who has taken my 5 year old nephew every year since he's born said she will tire out and probably won't mind the stroller after the first hour or so.

I just worry about lines. She does not do well standing still, or being idle. I haven't been in 10 years, so I can't really remember it.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Good luck! Please post again when you get back, I want to hear how it went. Our oldest daughter was very high maintenance. She did pretty good in a stroller but would only nap in her crib. Once she got to certain again (probably about your daughters age) she wouldn't nap in the stroller, or the car, or anywhere else. And she never liked the baby carrier, even as an infant. Obviously we're hoping #2 is easier :)
You picked a good time to go crowd wise so hopefully lines won't be too bad for you. Definitely get to each park at least 20 minutes prior to rope drop. The first hour and a half to 2 hours are the best, you should be able to walk on most things, or least wait 15 minutes or less. Then start using your fastpasses. I think most days our FPs were at like 11, 12 and 1.
Have a great time!!!

ScarletBegonias

Good luck! Please post again when you get back, I want to hear how it went. Our oldest daughter was very high maintenance. She did pretty good in a stroller but would only nap in her crib. Once she got to certain again (probably about your daughters age) she wouldn't nap in the stroller, or the car, or anywhere else. And she never liked the baby carrier, even as an infant. Obviously we're hoping #2 is easier :)
You picked a good time to go crowd wise so hopefully lines won't be too bad for you. Definitely get to each park at least 20 minutes prior to rope drop. The first hour and a half to 2 hours are the best, you should be able to walk on most things, or least wait 15 minutes or less. Then start using your fastpasses. I think most days our FPs were at like 11, 12 and 1.
Have a great time!!!

I will definitely come back and post! She used to handle the Ergo okay, but now that she's bigger? she's' like NOPE. We took her to the Baltimore Aquarium for her birthday and they don't allow strollers. I took the Ergo thinking "great!" and by the time we got out of the parking deck, we were already carrying her. She kept pushing off of me and screaming. Joy! :banghead:

disneygirl1

I will definitely come back and post! She used to handle the Ergo okay, but now that she's bigger? she's' like NOPE. We took her to the Baltimore Aquarium for her birthday and they don't allow strollers. I took the Ergo thinking "great!" and by the time we got out of the parking deck, we were already carrying her. She kept pushing off of me and screaming. Joy! :banghead:

We are there the same time you are. I am travelling solo with my two DS. The youngest just turned 7 months on Sunday. He's very much like your DD. NEVER sleeps and constantly needs to be on the GO! Praying he does well while we are there. My biggest concern is the plane rides. Its only 2 1/2 hours but worried he's going to act crazy on the plane. I tired to time our flights during times that he usually is the most content and relaxes during the day. Fingers crossed all goes well. Safe travels and enjoy your trip!

ScarletBegonias

We are there the same time you are. I am travelling solo with my two DS. The youngest just turned 7 months on Sunday. He's very much like your DD. NEVER sleeps and constantly needs to be on the GO! Praying he does well while we are there. My biggest concern is the plane rides. Its only 2 1/2 hours but worried he's going to act crazy on the plane. I tired to time our flights during times that he usually is the most content and relaxes during the day. Fingers crossed all goes well. Safe travels and enjoy your trip!

I really hope everything goes smoothly for you!!! And yes, looks like we'll be there the exact same time! :)

EOD K9

@dmw Hey, I'll be there in November also. My wife used a baby bjorn and I used one by Chicco. They worked very well while we were on the bus or in the airport. Any ride that doesn't have a height restriction is generally fair game. The girls went on Small World, PoTC, Peter Pan, and Pooh with no issues. The rides that have restrictions would be the ones to use baby swap on, however, iirc, it is not available on all rides. If anyone can clarify, I'd appreciate it for my own information as well.
We used the baby center in MK for a mid-day break to feed them. Don't be afraid to go back to the resort to relaz and take a nap. The grandbaby will mostly dictate your schedule. Any questions, feel free to ask.

jaklgreen

We took our 2 for the first time when they were 18 months and 31 months old. They sat in the stroller and napped in it no problem. We gave them breaks to run around a bit but for the most part they stayed in the stroller because that's where we wanted them. I don't think you will have any problems at either of those ages.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Hi everyone, since the posted was bumped up recently, I thought I would update things :) Due to my husbands job and a few uncertainties with our baby, the April/May trip will not be happening. Being in Disney for the Flower & Garden Festival is on my bucket list but, this trip will not be it! Our baby was born September 16th so she is now 5 months. The spring trip not happening is probably a good thing- she is still not sleeping through the night. She wakes up several times a night and I can't imagine the whole family dealing with that in a small hotel room.

We have officially booked our trip for Sept 23rd-Oct 1st. I was hoping for late October, maybe being there for Halloween, but it just didn't work out with my husbands work schedule. We will be staying at Pop (same as our last trip, our fav!!). My oldest will be a few months shy of 6, our youngest will be a year and a week. My parents actually decided to come with us so that will be a huge help with the baby. Any tips for traveling with a one year old are welcome!!
Thanks!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom