The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
I have to smile. My brothers and I all went to a parochial grammar school. My brothers had pressed, white collared shirts and ties, dark dress slacks, and dark dress shoes they had to wear every day. (I had an ugly uniform.) I guess the old style dress code has changed, big time! :p (Then again, I assume your boy is in public school, and their dress code standards were always more relaxed.) :)
Yes he goes to public school as it's better than the local catholic one. Our dress code isn't too strict, but it is enforced!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes he goes to public school as it's better than the local catholic one. Our dress code isn't too strict, but it is enforced!

At my school, we received an excellent education. However, in retrospect, I wished I had gone to public school all the way, because you get to meet children from many different religions (or no religion). I think that learning to interact and learn from kids from diverse backgrounds, is an important education in itself. It also sets you up for the work world as an adult. (I'm basing some of these comments on a few kids I knew that went to private, parochial schools, from grade 1 straight through college. They were nice, intelligent kids, but IMO, were somewhat living in an insular world of common thought, etc.)

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
At my school, we received an excellent education. However, in retrospect, I wished I had gone to public school all the way, because you get to meet children from many different religions (or no religion). I think that learning to interact and learn from kids from diverse backgrounds, is an important education in itself. It also sets you up for the work world as an adult. (I'm basing some of these comments on a few kids I knew that went to private, parochial schools, from grade 1 straight through college. They were nice, intelligent kids, but IMO, were somewhat living in an insular world of common thought, etc.)
I think the school has a part to play in that as much as the parents.I went to a private school locally instead of the Grammar school (UK public).Some of the people who i went there with are very much what i would call an "educated idiot" .Very clever but with not a great grasp of the real world.There were a lot more that were not like that and i think it has to do with the mixing with different social groups outside of school time as much as anything.The socially inept geniuses were from families where they kept them seperate from different children and it shows even now as adults in a lot of them.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think the school has a part to play in that as much as the parents.I went to a private school locally instead of the Grammar school (UK public).Some of the people who i went there with are very much what i would call an "educated idiot" .Very clever but with not a great grasp of the real world.There were a lot more that were not like that and i think it has to do with the mixing with different social groups outside of school time as much as anything.The socially inept geniuses were from families where they kept them seperate from different children and it shows even now as adults in a lot of them.

That's true, and I hadn't really given your point much thought about parental pressure (about which groups their kids should hang out with, even outside of school). Me, I was just thrown to the wolves. :hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
All the best people have been :D

That's why we wolves and other pals get along so well !! BFF's --

28db9dc483111dd3ca9b33489ec89337.jpg

and --

hoodie_ferret.jpg

Songbird76

I did all the mowing for years, as hubby traveled a lot. Never had a riding mower. When we moved into our current house 20 years ago, I looked at the grass, and said enough is enough. I took it out and planted greenery, flowers and put in rocks. I've never missed a day of not having grass. :D
I do all the mowing, but hubby keeps piling stuff on the mower in the shed, so I haven't been able to get to the mower since June or so...the grass has been pretty dead for a few years anyway....me and my lack of green thumb. But I'd really like to just take it all out and replace it with garden tiles or something that requires no weeding, no mowing, no nothing.

Songbird76

Oh goodness. That's funny.

Although dads can be scary. A couple of weeks before vacation, the house down the street had another party. My parents went out, my dad yelled and threatened to call the police, and then did so. A friend of our neighbor's daughter had been at the party and told our neighbors that some "big scary dude" came out and told everyone he was calling the police. We all laughed at the "big" and "scary" part. My dad is all of 5'5".:joyfull:

Sometimes an angry father solves problems.
Or maybe he wasn't the only one who complained!

Songbird76

You know what I like much better than gardening? (We don't have a garden anyway.) I like to shovel snow. It's fun, it's a feeling of accomplishment, it's good exercise, and you're out in the fresh, crisp air. Also, it's free--no gym or club monthly dues. It's a perfectly complete activity. :cat:
I actually HATE gardening, but I don't mind shoveling snow. I remember when I had just graduated from college and I was teaching and I had an hour commute to the next town over. We had just had a blizzard and it took my mom and I two hours together to dig my car out. The snow had blown in under the car and was packed so tight and you couldn't see the car at all...it was just this mound of snow. We used to have shoveling parties after a blizzard to get all the neighbors out whose doors were covered in snow and they were stuck in their houses. I'd take that over weeding the garden any day.

Songbird76

We use to do that too! We have the longest breakfast that some years we stayed long enough to order lunch. :)

We when they were small all went together in the neighborhood to shop for school supplies. We'd have dinner, each kid got their own shopping cart when we hit up Target and then we all went out to an ice cream parlor after. It was a fun tradition.
That sounds like an awesome tradition! Our school doesn't have the continuous schedule where kids stay for lunch, so we have to pick them up every day and take them back after lunch. But the breakfast idea sounds great!! Of course, I think the only restaurant that's open for breakfast here is McDonalds, but I'd take it!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
What is a lunch partner? I assume bus partner is someone who sits next to you on the bus, but lunch partner? Don't they get to sit with their friends at lunch?
The first day of school they get to sit pretty much where they want, then a seating chart is made so they are stuck there for the rest of the quarter. He lucked out and all his friends grabbed a table together. Sometimes they don't get that lucky. They all made it to the lunch room early. Sometimes at lunch they have games after eating and the person next to you is your partner for those and you're never quite sure which person next to you is going to be your partner.

Last edited:

betty rose

Out here, when it's hot in September and even sometimes into early October, it's known as "Indian Summer." I'm not sure if that's what it's referred to out in your part of the country. All I know is I can't wait for the cold. Anyway, I copied a few paragraphs (below) from the Old Farmer's Almanac:

Why is Indian summer called Indian summer? There are many theories. Some say it comes from the early Algonquian Native Americans, who believed that the condition was caused by a warm wind sent from the court of their southwestern god, Cautantowwit.

The most probable origin of the term, in our view, goes back to the very early settlers in New England. Each year they would welcome the arrival of a cold wintry weather in late October when they could leave their stockades unarmed. But then came a time when it would suddenly turn warm again, and the Native Americans would decide to have one more go at the settlers. "Indian summer," the settlers called it.
When I lived in Indiana we called it Indian summer too. We believed it was called that because of the warm wind blowing from the southwest, where a lot of Native Americans lived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom