Muppet-Vision 3D Closing???

orlando678-

Learned an interesting rumor on MiceChat today... They're apparently thinking of expanding Fantasyland with Beauty and the Beast and Frozen-themed areas, which'll cut into Toontown, but Roger Rabbit will survive. So unless the sing-along closes too, Disneyland like Disney World will have two Frozen attractions in two different parks.
It would be nice to see something different than beauty and the beast though, after we have seen the expansion in Orlando and the upcoming plans for Tokyo. I mean there are many other franchises where they can work with, Tangled, Brave, Cinderella, etc.

D

Deleted member 107043

It seems like people always refer to Disney's live shows as "Broadway caliber", but they're really not.

I've actually seen quite a few Broadway Shows in New York, London, and San Francisco, and Disneyland Resort's Aladdin production is isn't far off the mark. The main thing missing is a live orchestra, and of course the length of the performance isn't anywhere close to a Broadway show. What I'm getting at is that many Broadway shows really aren't all that they're cracked up to be and I'd gladly sit through DCA's Aladdin show any day before being subjected to Rent or Legally Blonde again.

mickEblu

I've actually seen quite a few Broadway Shows in New York, London, and San Francisco, and Disneyland Resort's Aladdin production is isn't far off the mark. The main thing missing is a live orchestra, and of course the length of the performance isn't anywhere close to a Broadway show. What I'm getting at is that many Broadway shows really aren't all that they're cracked up to be and I'd gladly sit through DCA's Aladdin show any day before being subjected to Rent or Legally Blonde again.

Are they not lip singing in the Aladdin show though ?

mickEblu

I agree, this is the biggest reason I dislike the show. I watched from the balcony and to me it sounded like the entire show was done in lip syncing ( still not sure if it's lip syncing or singing ).

Maybe I didn't stick around for any of the live singing. I walked out about halfway through. I don't understand why they would do this. Seems like it would be easy to find some good singers/ performers in So Cal

GiveMeTheMusic

I agree, this is the biggest reason I dislike the show. I watched from the balcony and to me it sounded like the entire show was done in lip syncing ( still not sure if it's lip syncing or singing ).

Maybe I didn't stick around for any of the live singing. I walked out about halfway through. I don't understand why they would do this. Seems like it would be easy to find some good singers/ performers in So Cal

The only parts that are lipped are the parts involving stunt doubles. Parts of One Jump Ahead, Aladdin's descent into the cave, about half of Whole New World. I guess it's possible more could be lipped if someone was out and no one was available who could sing a part live, but I don't know if that's even a thing for that show.

captainmoch

The fantastically irreverent Chew Chew Train is indeed one of my favorite attractions.
Honestly, I love that one just because the place where the track goes off and stores the vehicles (or at least that's what I've always presumed) is a box of brussel sprouts, so Heimlich skips it for the candy. I found that cute.

D

Deleted member 107043

Are they not lip singing in the Aladdin show though ?

Depending on the show singers have been known to lip sync in Broadway musicals, especially for ensemble dance numbers. As far as I know it's never been confirmed, but Phantom is rumored to have used a pre-recorded track for some portions of the two lead performers.

Last edited by a moderator:

GiveMeTheMusic

Depending on the show singers have been known to lip sync in Broadway musicals, especially for ensemble dance numbers. As far as I know it's never been confirmed, but Phantom is rumored to have used a pre-recorded track for some portions of the two lead performances.

Generally speaking, lip syncing is frowned upon on Broadway but has been used in small ways when staging necessitates it. Phantom is one example - the first part of the title song is lip synced due to the use of doubles. Unlike Aladdin, they do a good job of obscuring the fact that doubles are being used.

A lot of shows use what are called pit singers to make the sound fuller - Mamma Mia is one of them. The ensemble's dance work is so heavy that they will have offstage singers whose only job is to augment the sound.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom