Making the leap to Moderate Resorts -- Advice

Epcot82Guy

Thought I would weigh in here, since I am a huge Swan and Dolphin fan - but typically stay at the Moderates.

As for S&D - if you find a great rate, they are the way to go. While it's not entirely as Disney, the whimsy, pool area and location for adults is amazing. And, Westin Heavenly Beds at the Swan... I'll stop there. I love the themeing more elsewhere in some regards, but the Swan is my favorite resort on property. Having said that, since you have a $25/day resort fee and either parking fees or transportation to and from MCO (as noted), you need to factor it into the price.

For the Moderates, I bop among several of them, and I've stayed in all of them. CBR was my least favorite, but the newer room renovations might help that. In the end, though, it feels more like Florida than the Caribbean to me. CSR is my favorite for the grounds. It's simply beautiful. But, it is large. POR and POFQ are both in the middle, and it really depends on the day. POR is prettier, but it is larger and less manageable. I don't like POFQ's themeing as much - only because New Orleans is based so much on real historical architecture that it feels a little more "fake" to me than the other 3 (absent the lobby) - but this is very much just a matter of degrees. The layout, access to the river and DTD and the direct bus stop are all great perks there. (To put it in perspective, we're splitting our stay at CSR and POFQ next month.)

Bottom line - any of the 4 are a great option. The rooms are basically the same at each, so the environment is what you pay for. And, I think it's well worth the price.

The one other suggestion I might have is to splurge on the garden or water view rooms where you stay. I wouldn't necessarily pay for a river view or preferred - since the rooms are all exterior entry with a hallway between you and your view. But, there is something to walking to your room through the grounds and not seeing the parking lot. For me, it really adds to the immersion. (Having said that, if you already booked standard view at POFQ, it actually makes it a bit easier, since you can walk along the parking lot - or walk through the lobby and around the gardens to get to your room.)

Have an awesome trip!

DfromATX

I am also considering POFQ. It has a lot of good reviews. Everyone seems to like it. We stayed at POR last time and enjoyed it. I think the main difference in the two is that POR is more spread out. We had a ceiling fan in our room, which was a plus.

It seems we've got you convinced to stay at POFQ, but i'll offer my two cents anyways :)
I've stayed at Pop Century, All-Star Sports, and, on my most recent trip, POFQ. I don't think we'll ever go back to the value-level... we found we got better 'value' at POFQ for our money than at the value hotels. Beautifully themed instead of just 'dressed' like the value hotels. We also found the bus service to be faster (could have been a fluke). We had a really nice, centrally-located room, and the QS restaurant was really good. The water-taxi is a nice touch for a slow-down day, especially with Disney Springs increasing the time you/most guests will spend in DD.
I think that the major advantage over POR is the size, and, consequently, the number of bus stops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom