The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
As I read about your encounter with Tony I teared up a little. I am so very happy for you that you got to meet him after admiring him for so long! I am glad that the meeting was good and you weren't rushed through. It sounds like he is truly a stand up kind of guy and appreciates the admiration he gets from his fans. :)

That is very nice of you to say....thank you ajwdwgirl.
It was the culmination of a long held dream, and it has been quite a saga getting there but oh so worth the journey.
I think i*m still in a stunned state....it REALLY DID actually finally happen !
:D

Tony is a very humble individual when you consider the epic scope of his talents and what he has been able to accomplish during his career.
When people take the time to learn his story, from when he started as a teenage to now, it really is a stunning tale.
Worthy of a book...!
;)
His influence on the Disney Theme Parks has been incredible and likely unprecedented at this point
At Disneyland in particular, his touch is felt everywhere in that Park.
I don*t think there is a single area he has not had at least a small influence on over the years, and i am not even talking about his famous *Baxterattractions*.

He does not view himself the way fans do, who tend to place him up on a high pedestal of respect ( self included ).
He views himself as just a Disney fan, like you and me.
In my personal opinion, i think he is still in a way that curious little twelve year old boy of his youth.

There are no walls or perceived barriers when it comes to Tony...he is very open and gracious, and speaks his mind.
Very approachable.
He is known for his generosity when it comes to sharing his time, and enjoying a shared enthusiasm with others for any of the plethora of interests he has.
There are legendary stories of the various events held at his beautifully created residence for fans involved in various organizations and group events.
Nobody is perfect, but not everyone is willing to be that open and giving to others.
Tony is.

For years i have read the tales from others who have had the pleasure of meeting him and having some amazing adventures, and ALL of them were positive, warm, and in some cases downright incredible stories.
These are from Park fans and people who have become friendly with him over the years.
There is a reason why he is so appreciated and respected in the fan community, and part of it is because of his willingness to give of himself to others.
It can be in the form of learning, a gifting, the experience he *gives* to people on one of his Attractions, or just a great experience at a convention appearance or event panel.
People are naturally attracted to this...and a pleasant, gentle personality adds to the appeal.

Sure, there were a few negative tales, but those were from folks who seemed to have a personal grudge against him for some reason or were seemingly bothered by all the attention he gets.
Jealousy can motivate people to do and say some cruel things, and sometimes not always the truth about matters.
I recall the time i received some *hate mail* from someone because of my obvious allegiance to Team Baxter.
It was not through this website, but through another channel.
Disturbed me at the time, and it hurt knowing there are actually people out there that will actually go out of their way to spread such negativity.
But anyone who really knows Tony knows the truth.

And i will just leave it at that.
Get to know him, and find out for yourself.
There is a golden treasure that awaits within......
:)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
It's so great that you got the meet your hero. All I heard about D23 were horror stories, including all of Disney's announcements. I wasn't impressed from my vantage point behind the computer and just ignoring it while going to DL. But Jesus, you met Baxter!

Thanks Endor.

Friday was only Expo day i experienced that could indeed be classified as a *horror story*.
The chaos and confusion just trying to get everyone into the ACC was insanely crazy.
I did not actually start feeling like i was having fun and enjoying the experience until the Imagineering panel that afternoon.

I was actually quite pleased with all the news that broke that weekend, and being there to see it and hear it firsthand at the Parks & Resorts panel was a good experience for me.
After the last couple of Expos, when it seemed nothing was being announced and not much was *happening* this one seemed to be chock full of info and imput.
Maybe it was just because i was there in person this time around...instead of watching from a distance.
But this year seemed to actually *deliver* some good stuff.
All the celebs that turned up as surprises was a nice plus, too...although i only saw a few myself.

It was all about meeting Tony though for me as far as the Expo goes.....he was absolutely wonderful.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I got teary too reading your wonderful interaction with Mr. Baxter!! I'm so glad that it was such a positive and uplifting experience for the both of you. I'm sure he will remember you for quite some time and your card will probably have a special place in his home.

I was in Blue Bayou when the smoke alarm went off. We hadn't been seated yet, but we all got ushered out in a similar fashion. I have to say I was rather impressed with how quickly they were able to pick service back up once people were allowed back in. CM's were apologetic about the whole ordeal even though there was nothing anybody could've done in that situation but be gracious...unless there is a party sitting next to you with a grumpy tween complaining about the whole thing because he was hungry. LOL!

Thank you PacNWTigger, your words i have taken to heart.
May that indeed be the case, and he enjoyed the card enough to grace it with that honor.
His 50th Anniversary turned out to be something quite special for him i have learned, and i am delighted i was able to be a small part of that.

Oh wow....so you were there the same day then at Disneyland..!
We could have walked right by each other!
Yes, the Cast did a great job getting everyone out of the area and letting them know what was going on.
Of course there were a few disgruntled people who cannot be pleased no matter what the situation, but it went well.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I wish Tony would come out with a book, it would be a very interesting read. Maybe he would name it Baxterland!

It's on his 'to do' list...for sure.
;)

The topic has come up a few times during recent interviews, and at some point when he feels the time is right it will happen.
I have been looking forward to a book by Tony for many years.
The knowledge and insight he has could fill several volumes.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

As mentioned earlier, my Parks days this visit went by in a blur.
Unlike previous ventures, i took very few photos in the Park....primarily because i was nervous about damaging or possibly losing my tiny camera that contained the valuable photos of my time with Tony!
So the camera made only one visit to the Park....and i didn't focus too much on photography.
I think i have covered quite a bit already through the course of this thread, but i will add this photo -

A shot of those charming squirrel carvings featured in the waiting area of 'Snow White's Scary Adventures'.
The detailing in Fantasyland is a favorite, and these little guys always bring a smile -

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

It's been a incredible 2+ year journey since i began this thread back in August of 2013.
I started it on a whim, thinking it might be a fun companion to my first full-blown "Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland'.
That first 'themed' visit turned into something marvelous over the course of a couple of years.
My the adventures we have had...!

I had hoped that at some point, there would be a 'grand finale' that would tie everything together nicely.
Meeting Tony a couple of weeks ago did just that, and i am delighted at what I've been able to partake in before and since that memorable day.
So in a way, this is really not the 'end' of these adventures in 'Baxterland'.
In reality, this i feel is just the beginning of a whole new world of exciting adventures just waiting to unfold.
May the future hold many more grand experiences that we can all share together.

I hope you have all enjoyed the journey so far, and found it entertaining and perhaps even informative.
Thanks for being with me along the way.

Here's to the NEXT grand adventure.
I might not know 'when' it may be, but i sure know 'where' it shall be....
In 'Baxterland' - "Where Dreams Come True....for REAL..!"

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
-

It's been a incredible 2+ year journey since i began this thread back in August of 2013.
I started it on a whim, thinking it might be a fun companion to my first full-blown "Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland'.
That first 'themed' visit turned into something marvelous over the course of a couple of years.
My the adventures we have had...!

I had hoped that at some point, there would be a 'grand finale' that would tie everything together nicely.
Meeting Tony a couple of weeks ago did just that, and i am delighted at what I've been able to partake in before and since that memorable day.
So in a way, this is really not the 'end' of these adventures in 'Baxterland'.
In reality, this i feel is just the beginning of a whole new world of exciting adventures just waiting to unfold.
May the future hold many more grand experiences that we can all share together.

I hope you have all enjoyed the journey so far, and found it entertaining and perhaps even informative.
Thanks for being with me along the way.

Here's to the NEXT grand adventure.
I might not know 'when' it may be, but i sure know 'where' it shall be....
In 'Baxterland' - "Where Dreams Come True....for REAL..!"

Thanks for taking us along on your journey! It was fun!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Indeed there was.
I have one complete episode in my collection.

There were a couple of tv and film projects being contemplated back in the day to have Dreamfinder & Figment showcased in.
Some exist...others didn't get that far.

I would like to see the success of the recent 'Figment' comic series ( now in it's second series ) help spur on a return of this character back into the Epcot experience.
Of course, having it touch off a complete re-refreshing of the Imagination Pavilion would be even better...

With that said, i'll share this here -
A photo a co-worker friend just recently sent to me the other day after she found it nearly 30 years later buried in a family photo album.
It's a wonderful image of her as a child in 1984, with that imaginative professor and his impish purple pal posing with her.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

I'll add these here as well......

A few of the 'PhotoPass' images that were snapped while on the recent 'TonyFest 2015' excursion.

This first one was a hoot...glad i brought my hat to complement the setting.
It was indeed the 'Wildest Celebration In The Wilderness', that's for dang sure!

And here's another just for ol' times sake....

Having a 'Baxterland' celebration in the Park after meeting Tony a couple of days earlier.
It was so hot that day that the icing on the special '60th' cupcake i'm shown holding here was starting to create a puddle underneath itself..!

brb1006

latest

I also remember seeing a page on Disney Wiki with another educational short starring Peter Pan and Figment called "Reading Magic with Figment and Peter Pan" only one clip of that is available on Youtube. But it's very short and only shows Peter Pan and Figment isn't present for that clip.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
There were several ideas in development at the time for expanding the JII characters presence outside of the Park environment via TV programs and educational films for schools.
Some happened, some did not.

It would be nice to see that looked into again, exspecially now with the recent success of the 'Figment' comic series.

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

Just when you thought all had been said and done...and seen.
Welcome back to 'Baxterland', friends!

Yes, I am resurrecting this thread to add a few additional 'new discoveries' related to one of my favorite places to visit and some of my favorite 'Baxterattractions'.
I just returned home from another visit, and wanted to share a couple of fun observations.

I honestly was not planning on continuing this thread, especially after the spectacular 'finale' that took place on the previous Venture.
My the things that have happened since then.....but I will save that for another time.

For now, I will add in the coming days some neat things I came across on my most recent visit to the 'Happiest Place On Earth'.
A couple of recent 'discoveries' I felt worthy enough to include here, for their sheer neatness factor as they are little details one might miss.

So away we go....
Let us briefly 'Spring Into Baxterland'....

Get out your maps, kids, and join in the Adventure!

- * - * - * - * - * - * -

-

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
-

- * - * - * - * - * - * - * -

Just when you thought all had been said and done...and seen.
Welcome back to 'Baxterland', friends!

Yes, I am resurrecting this thread to add a few additional 'new discoveries' related to one of my favorite places to visit and some of my favorite 'Baxterattractions'.
I just returned home from another visit, and wanted to share a couple of fun observations.

I honestly was not planning on continuing this thread, especially after the spectacular 'finale' that took place on the previous Venture.
My the things that have happened since then.....but I will save that for another time.

For now, I will add in the coming days some neat things I came across on my most recent visit to the 'Happiest Place On Earth'.
A couple of recent 'discoveries' I felt worthy enough to include here, for their sheer neatness factor as they are little details one might miss.

So away we go....
Let us briefly 'Spring Into Baxterland'....

Get out your maps, kids, and join in the Adventure!

- * - * - * - * - * - * -

-

Awesome, I like reading about your baxterland adventures! You offer up details I have overlooked on my visits. :)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thanks, gang!

Hey there Endor -
I have a trivial tidbit you might enjoy that relates to your favorite Attraction and Tony Baxter.
Perhaps you are already aware of it, but Tony worked the Haunted Mansion as a 'Butler' on the Attractions' opening day in 1969....or so the story goes.
He was also one of the few who saw the original 'Hatbox Ghost' before it was removed shortly after opening.

Tony was working as a teenage Cast Member over at Tomorrowland Attractions at the time, and employees were pulled from other areas of the Park to help bulk up the staffing at the Mansion to get through the huge crowds that came to see the new edition to Disneyland.

Every time I round the corner of the Portrait Hall and enter the main loading area of the Mansion, I am reminded of Tony and his stint working the Mansion as a CM.

-

PacNWTigger

I'm so glad you've resurrected this thread. I enjoy reading about Mr Baxter, and it gives me little things to look for and share with my DH whenever we get a chance to go to DLR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom