Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Thank you @raven24 and @GiveMeTheMusic! We have dinner reservations at 5:30 the first day we arrive, so I'm hoping we'll be done with dinner in plenty of time to hop over to Disneyland for the fireworks. If so, that may give us the opportunity to see them a second time on one of our other nights.

@GiveMeTheMusic - when you say "prime viewing" in front of the castle, do you feel like standing right in front of the castle gives a good view of the projections? I'm used to castle fireworks shows where the castle is going to be the main focus, so that makes sense to me. It's the additional projections for this show that's making it a little tough for me to decide what location we should go for.

Thanks again, guys! You're the best! :D

The Castle is a projection surface, the center of it all. A prime castle view would also afford you a view of the Matterhorn, which is also a projection surface. You will miss the "enveloping" feel you would get on Main Street proper, where all of the buildings are projected on but the castle is a bit too distant to make out details. That's why I recommend the upper half of Main Street - you can see the castle and you get the surrounded effect. You will not be able to see the Matterhorn.

TuffyCatt

The Castle is a projection surface, the center of it all. A prime castle view would also afford you a view of the Matterhorn, which is also a projection surface. You will miss the "enveloping" feel you would get on Main Street proper, where all of the buildings are projected on but the castle is a bit too distant to make out details. That's why I recommend the upper half of Main Street - you can see the castle and you get the surrounded effect. You will not be able to see the Matterhorn.

Thank you! Maybe for our first viewing we'll try upper or mid mainstreet. And then if we're lucky enough to get a second viewing we'll try closer to the castle so we can also see the Matterhorn.

PrincessJenn5795

I didn't realize that DLR/DCA had a lot more to do than WDW. It would be nice to stay at an on site resort, walk to either park and back and have DTD right there. It's something we are looking into.

For me, one of the best things about Disneyland is that you can go from park to park, to DTD, and to your hotel (if you are on property) so easily. Even though there is more stuff at WDW, it is a lot easier to do more things at DL in a day because you don't have to plan everything around buses, monorails, and boats. I grew up going to DL, so the first time I went to WDW in 2012 with my husband and kids it was shocking how long it took to get to everything and you really have to plan your day based on location. You can't really just pop over to another park or DTD for lunch like you can at DL. You can be more spontaneous at DL.

HauntedMansionFLA

For me, one of the best things about Disneyland is that you can go from park to park, to DTD, and to your hotel (if you are on property) so easily. Even though there is more stuff at WDW, it is a lot easier to do more things at DL in a day because you don't have to plan everything around buses, monorails, and boats. I grew up going to DL, so the first time I went to WDW in 2012 with my husband and kids it was shocking how long it took to get to everything and you really have to plan your day based on location. You can't really just pop over to another park or DTD for lunch like you can at DL. You can be more spontaneous at DL.
Is the crowd level high the week after Thanksgiving? Or Labor Day? Thanks :)

PrincessJenn5795

Both are pretty good times to go. Labor Day weekend can be busy, but it isn't bad. There are usually some attractions down though, as they are busy getting things ready for Halloween time. Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion will be down for the Halloween overlays, and sometimes there are some other rides down too. The crowds are nice then though, because so many families are still focused on the back-to-school stuff. The week after Thanksgiving (not Thanksgiving weekend though) is the best time to go during the Holiday season from a crowd standpoint. All of the holiday stuff is up, but most kids aren't on break yet, so it is nice.

HauntedMansionFLA

Both are pretty good times to go. Labor Day weekend can be busy, but it isn't bad. There are usually some attractions down though, as they are busy getting things ready for Halloween time. Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion will be down for the Halloween overlays, and sometimes there are some other rides down too. The crowds are nice then though, because so many families are still focused on the back-to-school stuff. The week after Thanksgiving (not Thanksgiving weekend though) is the best time to go during the Holiday season from a crowd standpoint. All of the holiday stuff is up, but most kids aren't on break yet, so it is nice.
Awesome - thank you for the helpful information

Animaniac93-98

Trying to get two reservations now that I'm 60 days out. At roughly 7:00am PST, there were no tables available for dinner at Blue Bayou or breakfast at the Plaza Inn. Is it normal for those meals to go that far in advance, or have the times just not been uploaded to the website yet?

Lunch at Blue Bayou was no problem, so I got 3:40pm as it's the closest to dinner time.

EDIT: I see on Plaza Inn's page that the dates only go to Oct 3, that's probably why.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Trying to get two reservations now that I'm 60 days out. At roughly 7:00am PST, there were no tables available for dinner at Blue Bayou or breakfast at the Plaza Inn. Is it normal for those meals to go that far in advance, or have the times just not been uploaded to the website yet?

Lunch at Blue Bayou was no problem, so I got 3:40pm as it's the closest to dinner time.

EDIT: I see on Plaza Inn's page that the dates only go to Oct 3, that's probably why.

There's an issue with the system right now, so I'd recommend calling daily if you're able, until you can get what you need.

Skippy

Keeping the thread active with a quick WoC question:
Two people going, what is the best way to get a decent spot when only one person can grab a fastpass in the morning?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Two people going, what is the best way to get a decent spot when only one person can grab a fastpass in the morning?

Any thoughts to doing a dining package? We have done all three restaurants that offer the WOC dining package and we really like the Carthay because of its food and the viewing area.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster

Yeah, do a dining package if you can. You'll both need FPs to access the viewing area and they'll need to be in the same viewing area for you both to be together.

Recently they've started giving out WOC FPs all day, regardless of numbers, so they're not running out like Fantasmic does. Getting there in the morning isn't imperative, but you will want to be there well before showtime.

Skippy

Yeah, do a dining package if you can. You'll both need FPs to access the viewing area and they'll need to be in the same viewing area for you both to be together.

Recently they've started giving out WOC FPs all day, regardless of numbers, so they're not running out like Fantasmic does. Getting there in the morning isn't imperative, but you will want to be there well before showtime.
Hmm. Not up for a dining package, so I think we'll just try to grab a fastpass later in the day. (~3pm likely). Thanks for the help!

TuffyCatt

I will be at Disneyland this time next week! Yeeeeeeesss!!! :D

A few more questions for you folks!

Any favorite spots for watching Paint the Night? What direction/route does the parade take? I'm trying to avoid major spoilers for the parade, therefore I haven't wanted to read through the official Paint the Night thread. I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

We'll be there for the very beginning of Halloween time, and I'm looking forward to getting to experience the Halloween overlays for the first time. I was wondering, however - how scary is Ghost Galaxy? From the very little bit that I've read, I've heard that it is a bit scary and terms such as "jump scares" were thrown around. I'm going to ride it regardless, since this will probably be my only opportunity to do so, but I just want to be mentally and emotionally prepared (I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to Haunted House type scary stuff...). ;)

Thank you!!! You all make preparing for trips awesome!

George Lucas on a Bench

Ghost Galaxy isn't really scary at all, unless roller coasters scare you, but Disneyland's Space Mountain is kinda tame and basically just glides around to the right, with only one baby drop. What you're dealing with in the overlay is not even remotely comparable to haunt stuff.

(actually, Ghost Galaxy is really disappointing in my opinion, but maybe you'll enjoy it)

The only spot I've ever watched Paint the Night from is across from the Teacups, near the Matterhorn. I liked this area because it had easy access to the smoking section and, more importantly, Fantasyland attractions such as the Canal Boats and "small world" at the conclusion of the parade. Although you do need to stand. The first parade starts at "small world" and ends at Main Street. The second one goes in reverse direction.

I don't recommend watching from Main Street, as awesome as it may seem. It becomes too overcrowded in my opinion and just annoying to deal with between all the other people around you and cast members yelling and waving mini lightsabers. The area where we watch it from is comparatively peaceful.

Last edited:

PrincessJenn5795

I like watching from Main Street. If you go to the first parade, you can stay put and watch the fireworks later. If you don't want to camp out for a long time to get a spot, go up by the firestation. I got there about 30 minutes early and had a great spot for the parade. After, they had everyone walk on to Main Street to watch the fireworks.

TuffyCatt

Fantastic. Roller coasters are my favorite and don't bother me, but the thought of a potentially scary overlay did, especially since I don't know what to expect. Glad to hear that Ghost Galaxy isn't too bad. :)

Thank you guys very much for the Paint the Night info. I'm not usually a big fan of watching parades from Main Street because of the crowds, but since our time is limited the thought of easily combining the parade and the fireworks is tempting. The spot by the teacups and the Matterhorn sounds pretty fantastic as well. When I was at Disneyland 2 years ago, we watched Soundsational right by it's a small world, which was a pretty good spot. Seems like that might not be too bad for Paint the Night too, since they follow the same route?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom