Not sure where to start when looking at purchasing resale

kniquy

Original Poster
I am fortunate enough to be receiving a lump sum of money this october. I am thinking that this would be the time to purchase outright a DVC that we can enjoy for the years to come. I am thinking that we could afford around 100-125 points (if the cost per point is around $85-95).

For those of you who have purchased resale any suggestions on companies you have used?

What have you used as your deciding factors to which resort you have selected?

Are there any particular resources for learning more about the different resorts?

lostpro9het

I outlined my experience with The Timeshare Store here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/aaaaaaaand-were-in.897980/

We had a great experience with them and I also HIGHLY recommend Nancy Kirsch with Magic Vacation Title to handle that end of things for you! The deciding factor for us was simple, we tried AKL, BCV, BLT, SSR, BWV, VWL, and OKW and decided AKL was right for us! We saved for a while and when we had enough saved we just waited for the right contract. We eventually pulled the trigger on a contract with a contract with about a year's worth of banked points plus he points coming for the current year!

There are a lot of great resources out there, just let Google be your guide ;).

dreamfinder

ResalesDVC and The Timeshare Store are the two biggies on the scene. There are few other newer ones, and some other groups that deal in multiple timeshare brands as well. I'd suggest checking them all out to see what they have for listings. Most only deal in their own listings, so you need to shop around to see whats available.

Pick the resort you will be happy at since it's always a good idea to get something on the books as soon as possible and then wait list a different resort to ensure you have someplace to stay. Plenty of places to learn about the resorts, Steve has some info here on WDWMagic, the official DVC site has info, as does sites like DVCNews Really depends on what you want to know.

Garfield

We've bought a few resales through The Timeshare Store and had no problems, transaction went smoothly. Would do so again without hesitation. Get on their email list or their facebook page to know when new contracts hit the market. Some are gone within hours, even minutes. We considered if we needed the earlier booking advantage to a home resort and decided this was not a priority for us because we can't plan vacations out that far. We also considered what the maintenance fees per point are at each resort. If you keep your ownership over several years that will be your biggest expense, not the amount you spent purchasing your contract(s).

We used the Timeshare Store twice and were very happy with the process. I get their emails. When I was in the market I stalked their page. Snapped up my contracts quickly because they were small contracts so they go fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom