Disneyland Paris in the Winter

david10225

Original Poster
Well - I'm ready to check off another item on my bucket list by visiting Paris and of course DL Paris. Now that my wife has decided to give up teaching, we are able to go off season and we have chosen to go mid January. I'm expecting cold and wet weather, short park hours, but on the other hand, I can't imagine it will have any kind of crowds at all. I've read lots of material and blogs, but still have a few questions for those that have been to the parks in the winter or are just more knowledgeable about these things..

1. So - is there any entertainment at either park. I've seen clips of different shows, but I don't know if anything runs in the winter. We are not interested in character meet and greets...

2. Food - Best place for lunch? We eat anything, but I'm thinking it would be nice to sit inside and warm up. I've seen mixed reviews for Walts so I'm a little hesitant.

3. Tickets - Buy way ahead of time or wait till we get there?

4. Disney Village - Is it like the Florida/CA counterparts or is it have something special to warrant a few hours. I think there is a wild west show there? (sort of looks like dixie Stampede on the videos). Is that worth a visit? If we want to eat supper at the resort before we return to our offsite hotel, is there a place you would recommend outside of the parks? (in a resort hotel or in the Disney Village

5. Do we think that Disney Dreams will run at the end of every night in January (weather permitting?)

We will be staying at the big Marriott Timeshare nearby so will be spliting our trip with 2-3 days at the parks and 3 days in Paris riding the train in to Paris for a full day of sightseeing. If I get real brave, I will rent a car for a few days, but not venture anyone inside the city.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. This leaves just HK and Shanghai on my list :)

Stevie Amsterdam

Good that you did your own research. I'm sure you and your wife will have a great time, just be prepared for very cold weather. I'd assume that anything with water - such as Disney Dreams - could have technical difficulties when it's freezing outside so if that is important to you, please keep that in mind.

What do you mean by entertainment? Like parades? I'm sure they will have something, but best to check a few weeks in advance. One thing I do hope you take on board is that january usually calls for a lot of refurbs. Paris is undergoing major refurbs as it's getting ready for it's 25th anniversary in 2017. For this reason, you might even want to reconsider and do Hong Kong first - then visit Paris in 2017 when it's in optimal condition.

I'm a fan of Blue Lagoon restaurant because of it's theming and sea food. If that's your cup of tea I'm sure you'll have a good time. That said, I very much like Walts as well!

I recently bought 3 = 2 days tickets and I just checked to see if the offer is still valid - and it is. Three days should be more than enough to explore both parks and know that the tickets are 'hopper' anyways, so that's a plus.

Hope this helps!

brb1006

I remember seeing a few videos of seeing Disneyland Paris getting real snow unlike the other parks. Does this mean that Disneyland Paris is the only Disney Theme Park in the world to actually get real snow? Especially since Disneyland and WDW are both located in states that don't get snow at all.

orlando678-

I remember seeing a few videos of seeing Disneyland Paris getting real snow unlike the other parks. Does this mean that Disneyland Paris is the only Disney Theme Park in the world to actually get real snow? Especially since Disneyland and WDW are both located in states that don't get snow at all.
No Tokyo has had snow often and I'm not sure but didnt Hong Kong have snow a few times too?

Stevie Amsterdam

From the Hong Kong Observatory website:

From 1967 to 1975, there were four days with slight snow reported in Hong Kong (see table). Although frost and ice still occasionally occurred in winter, there was no more report of snow ever since.

It has a very tropical climate ;)

Twilight_Roxas

Well there is a holiday nighttime show call Disney Dreams of Christmas in front of the castle that uses fountains, mist screens, animated projection mapping, lasers, and fireworks.

erider

I think you will have a good time in January at Disneyland Paris. Sure it can be cold, but it's very uncommon to have the daytime parade and Disney Dreams cancelled because of weather conditions. I find both Disney parks in Paris well suited to winter weather since so much is indoors. Cinemagique is a nice indoor show in the Studios. Most attractions are indoors. Like others have said, some big attractions will be closed for refurbishments for the 25th anniversary. However Small World should have reopened by then, back from refurbishments. For restaurants besides Walts I also recommend Blue Lagoon in Disneyland and Chez Remy in the Studios.

erider

By the way, if you want to eat outside of the parks I can recommend eating at the Seqouia Lodge hotel, or in the Village at the Steakhouse.

orlando678-

L'auberge de cendrillon, blue bayou, Bella Notte, walts, chez remy, restaurant des cascadeurs, annettes diner, the steakhouse, rainforest cafe and planet hollywood are some of my favorites

Last edited:

HolleBolleGijs

1. So - is there any entertainment at either park. I've seen clips of different shows, but I don't know if anything runs in the winter. We are not interested in character meet and greets...

Disney Dreams runs every night at park closing. It's a projection/pyro show "on" the castle, and it's definitely a must-see! There's also some holiday-oriented events (tree lighting, Christmas parade, brass band), but I'm not sure how far past Christmas those run.

2. Food - Best place for lunch? We eat anything, but I'm thinking it would be nice to sit inside and warm up. I've seen mixed reviews for Walts so I'm a little hesitant.

Depends. There are some decent QS options, all of which have indoor seating. There are a ton of different options (I love Hakuna Matata), I would check out some of the menus here - http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/ . May have changed a bit, but it'll give you a good general idea. I've never done any TS restaurants, so I can't help you there. You can save a little money by going to the McDonald's in Disney Village - it's only about a 5 minute walk.

Up to you. If you know for sure what days you will be in the parks, you can buy in advance. They have a tiered system where certain days are cheaper than others. You just print your tix out at home and bring them to the gate!
View media item 475
4. Disney Village - Is it like the Florida/CA counterparts or is it have something special to warrant a few hours. I think there is a wild west show there? (sort of looks like dixie Stampede on the videos). Is that worth a visit? If we want to eat supper at the resort before we return to our offsite hotel, is there a place you would recommend outside of the parks? (in a resort hotel or in the Disney Village.

Maybe worth 30 minutes of wandering around - not much to see imo. I would compare the Wild West show to like Medieval Times in the US, although to be fair I've never done either.

5. Do we think that Disney Dreams will run at the end of every night in January (weather permitting?)

It should - as far as I know it runs every night.

Animaniac93-98

I would compare the Wild West show to like Medieval Times in the US, although to be fair I've never done either.

As someone who has done both, I would say that's an accurate description.

Simply put, if the idea of Medieval Times with cowboys (and Disney characters) sounds interesting to you, you'd probably like it. Ticket prices are lower in the winter months too.

There are usually small musical acts at both parks throughout the day which are fabulous. The weekly times guide will have the specific info for you. There will also, most likely, be a Frozen style show in Disneyland Parc. Right now it is billed as Frozen Summer Fun, but rumors are saying it will transform into something like Frozen Summer 2.0 for the winter season. If you are visiting in December, you will also enjoy the Christmas festivities and many more entertainment options.

For table service, I like Walt's in Disneyland Parc and Chez Remy in Walt Disney Studios. For quick service I'd recommend either Toad Hall or Lucky Nugget.

Buying tickets before your arrival will save you time in those early morning lines at the ticket booths. If you are going to visit the parks for two or more days, check the prices on the Annual Passes. You may be better off with a low level AP, plus you will receive the AP discounts at the parks.

4. Disney Village - Is it like the Florida/CA counterparts or is it have something special to warrant a few hours. I think there is a wild west show there? (sort of looks like dixie Stampede on the videos). Is that worth a visit? If we want to eat supper at the resort before we return to our offsite hotel, is there a place you would recommend outside of the parks? (in a resort hotel or in the Disney Village

Disney Village is tiny compared to WDW/DL. Depending on your budget and your appetite, the Disneyland Hotel has some expensive, but very relaxing dining options: Inventions, California Grill and if you're just looking for small plates, Cafe Fantasia. There is a Steakhouse in Disney Village that is supposed to be pretty good as well.

Weather permitting, Disney Dreams will run at the end of every night in January.

We will be staying at the big Marriott Timeshare nearby so will be spliting our trip with 2-3 days at the parks and 3 days in Paris riding the train in to Paris for a full day of sightseeing. If I get real brave, I will rent a car for a few days, but not venture anyone inside the city.

When you go to Paris, I highly recommend visiting Chartier for dinner. The atmosphere can't be beat. Bonne Chance!

The Empress Lilly

You can combine 1 and 2.

For QS lunch, since just now they have the Jedi Training Academy in Tomorrowland's Videopolis. Interspersed with Star Wars Rebels clips. Indoor so great for winter.

It's all okay-ish rather than great. But if you are a Star Wars fan, it's actually a fine opportunity to combine your sighting of Darth Vader with enjoying your QS meal. Great time-management.

HolleBolleGijs

You can combine 1 and 2.

For QS lunch, since just now they have the Jedi Training Academy in Tomorrowland's Videopolis. Interspersed with Star Wars Rebels clips. Indoor so great for winter.

It's all okay-ish rather than great. But if you are a Star Wars fan, it's actually a fine opportunity to combine your sighting of Darth Vader with enjoying your QS meal. Great time-management.

Might have changed bc of Jedi, but worth noting that Videopolis was hands down the messiest place I've ever eaten at DLP. Some CMs say it's one of the worst QS to work. I wouldn't eat there again,unless I really needed a Star Wars fix.

BrianLo

Might have changed bc of Jedi, but worth noting that Videopolis was hands down the messiest place I've ever eaten at DLP. Some CMs say it's one of the worst QS to work. I wouldn't eat there again,unless I really needed a Star Wars fix.

Agreed, it was miserable in 2013, but it may have improved and certainly wouldn't be full of children fainting from heat exhaustion in January.

I too am going in Mid-January this year! Time to give the resort a second shot.

Animaniac93-98

I too am going in Mid-January this year! Time to give the resort a second shot.

You'll see some refurbed rides like Space Mountain & Small World, but a number of others will still be closed or just about to.

Though it'll be the last chance to see the original Star Tours.

BrianLo

You'll see some refurbed rides like Space Mountain & Small World, but a number of others will still be closed or just about to.

Though it'll be the last chance to see the original Star Tours.

Ya I'm totally fine with that, I'm not missing out on anything drastic especially since Big Thunder is far down my list of E's. On top of everything else an overcrowded summer day compounded all the issues. I'm happy to see how it stands up without the masses and a few years of morale change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom