Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Cosmic Commando

The folks that are primarily fans of the Disney brand will love this. The folks that are primarily fans of Disney Theme Parks will find this underwhelming and more than a titch tacky.
Chester & Hester tries very expensively to duplicate something that everyone going in understands is cheap and tacky. Look at the themed "parking lot" pavement in Dino-Rama... I've heard several people comment while in the park that Disney built it on top of a parking lot and didn't bother to cover it up. Toy Story Land will be distasteful for some, and it is chosen and designed to be relatively cheap to build, but I don't think the average guest will see it as something cheap and tacky. There is a shared cultural understanding of "roadside tourist trap", but I don't think there's one for "you are toy-sized land".

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Because why not?
Generally speaking, launches make a roller coaster more fun. Between Everest, Rockin, California Screamin, Grizzly Mountain, and the Paris version of Space Mountain, WDI just has an affinity for the things, and to be honest, so do I.
They also tend to be a lot more compact, vertically, and quieter.
In this case, SlinkyDog appears to have both a traditional lift and a launch, so the launch element is probably just there because it's fun.

Everest is a launch coaster?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I am excited about the future of DHS. There are a couple existing thrill rides to start and a half full of other shows/attractions. We will be seeing 1 or 2 more thrill rides with the Star Wars addition. And then bringing in Toy Story Land to bring a bit more balance, which is also what is needed.

It is going to be nice to have this area because it will be a part of this park where families can enjoy together. Not just children, not just adults, but children and adults together. Plus, despite what some assume, this is not a duplicate of Toy Story Playland. Just the coaster addition alone makes that clear. Calling it Toy Story Playland is not a very inventive way to complain about this. The lazy man's excuse in my opinion.

I for one am looking forward to the day when I walk into this park, head back to Toy Story Land for a bit of fun. And then when we are ready for something a bit more mature, walking over to Star Wars Land.

And this does not even get into what may be announced for this park in the future...

ght

The concept art they've put out there looks to be better than Toy Story Playland, as does the attraction lineup. Toy Story Playland is A's and B's... this looks like a solid B and a solid C.
I agree, though I would say two C's (I consider things like the stuff in Bug's Land B's and this is a step up from those rides, though I can see how any flat ride would automatically be considered a B).

RSoxNo1

I agree, though I would say two C's (I consider things like the stuff in Bug's Land B's and this is a step up from those rides, though I can see how any flat ride would automatically be considered a B).
The rides in a Bug's land are all A tickets... they're super low capacity and are geared entirely towards children. I'd classify Tow Mater's junkyard jamboree in the same category as Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc. A bit more elaborate and a B. The Slinky Dog coaster is a lightly themed family coaster, I'm hoping it's a step above Barnstormer and Primeval Whirl, but I wouldn't expect it to be at Mine Train quality. I put Barnstormer and Primeval Whirl as weak C's and my hope is that Slinky is a solid C.

ght

The rides in a Bug's land are all A tickets... they're super low capacity and are geared entirely towards children. I'd classify Tow Mater's junkyard jamboree in the same category as Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc. A bit more elaborate and a B. The Slinky Dog coaster is a lightly themed family coaster, I'm hoping it's a step above Barnstormer and Primeval Whirl, but I wouldn't expect it to be at Mine Train quality. I put Barnstormer and Primeval Whirl as weak C's and my hope is that Slinky is a solid C.
Yeah, I can see that. For me A's are things like the Main St. Vehicles and the castle walk through while the generic flat rides are B's. I would put Mater's, Dumbo and the Tea Cups as C's though on the low end of that category (I would even put Mater's above the other two because of the way the vehicles weave between the two tracks which fits with the hoedown theme).

doctornick

The rides in a Bug's land are all A tickets... they're super low capacity and are geared entirely towards children. I'd classify Tow Mater's junkyard jamboree in the same category as Dumbo, Tea Cups, etc.

I don't see how Flik's Flyers or Francis' Ladybug Boogie are any "lower" ticket than Dumbo or the Tea Cups. I actually would argue that Flik's Flyers are the best themed spinner that Disney has in terms of being immersive (some of the Dumbo versions are prettier)

Chef Kronk

Does anyone think that we could be getting more than two new attractions from TSL? The two attractions planned look very nice, but I was wondering if we could see another attraction in the land.

Kamikaze

Does anyone think that we could be getting more than two new attractions from TSL? The two attractions planned look very nice, but I was wondering if we could see another attraction in the land.

I think its far more likely to see more added to Star Wars Land(s) than TSL. Why? The SW movies have a bigger chance of 'shooting the moon' with box office earnings than TS4 does. I think that will be made clear on Friday when the merch launches - that estimates for Ep VII are on the low side.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think its far more likely to see more added to Star Wars Land(s) than TSL. Why? The SW movies have a bigger chance of 'shooting the moon' with box office earnings than TS4 does. I think that will be made clear on Friday when the merch launches - that estimates for Ep VII are on the low side.

I know the Disney stores are preparing for craziness for the merch launch date.

matt9112

The Slinky Dog looks like a very good family coaster. Based on reviews of Maters the alien ride should be a lot of fun. TSMM will have added capacity and hopefully better availability. Based on the concept art I think the area will be much more attractive than it was and will look better than the other Toy Story lands (hopefully some of the greenery really shows up!) I really think this land is a winner and a major DHS upgrade.

The alien ride will be good if it has some good audio. Remember in Mater's alot of the fun is from the singing and such of mater himself. If they loose alot of that feel it will be lackluster.

matt9112

What about a downhill launching coaster? Does that exist.

Well the hulk launches you right into the first inversion on the first drop. But the launch is still uphill. I think due to the reality of it a downhill launch doesn't make much sense since you can just let gravity due the work. Granted I know there are alot of coasters that use lots of small launches through out the course to maintain a sort of speed and I'm sure somewhere some of these go downhill to increase velocity for the next element.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

As I have mentioned before, there are things for both areas. Consider these things, Christmas tree decorations.

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom