Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom poll(only those who have been to both)

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

• Disneyland

Votes: 290 60.2%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 192 39.8%

• Total voters

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Magic Kingdom has the Lighthouse Sandwich and the toppings bars, but are its food offerings otherwise even comparable to Disneyland's Matterhorn Macaroons, New Orleans Square French and Creole cuisine, Bengal Barbecue skewers, Plaza fried chicken, etc.?
Spread out across the resort, WDW blows DCL out of the water.

That said, spread out over the greater LA area, DCL blows WDW out of the water.

wdwfan22

Magic Kingdom always for me. Bigger castle, better tomorrowland, splash mountain, haunted mansion and more room. Disneyland feels cramped and just not as grand. For those saying Disneyland is cleaner, I've been to both parks many times and they are the same in my book.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Good discussion people. 77% for Disneyland over Magic Kingdom's 23%, give or take.

When I talked to my wife about the next time we go to a Disney park we weighed out the options for each one. We'll have three kids by then, so maybe we'll wait another couple of years at least, who knows. Money is also an issue. But to be honest, taking a young family you are better off at WDW for its grand options. However, we both agree that Disneyland is the best individual park of the bunch and while we can do more at WDW resort we can still find things to do outside of Disneyland in California as well. Disneyland I think has such a great Fantasyland set up that it is perfect for young kids. I mean, Casey Jr., Storybook Canal Boats, etc. Magic Kingdom doesn't have any of this. So the fact that Disneyland alone is such a great park makes it one of those "Steak vs. Lobster" decisions. You can't go wrong.

But no doubt Disneyland is the best park of the bunch. Even things like New Orleans Square is unique. It is the original and the standard that every park has tried to meet for the last 60 years, and hasn't been able to.

It's hard to beat a day at Disneyland.

JoMarch

Definitely Disneyland. Although I prefer the castle and wider walkways of Magic Kingdom, DL is crammed with so much more - and a lot of the rides are a better version at DL.

photomatt

Disneyland wins, but only because decades of mismanagement have destroyed what the MK was meant to be.
The MK was supposed to be Disneyland 2.0, improving on what was at DL and avoiding the mistakes they made with the original. The problem is that they never spent the money they should have.

Nothing compares to the atmosphere of DL Frontierland and NOS at night.There's nothing like it anywhere.

disney4life2008

Disneyland 100 percent (if you are interested in my observations - check out my TR in my signature). The food, attractions, CM's and the park are all exceptional. However, Disney World and Orlando win out overall.

TP2000

After four days of voting, Disneyland wins by a landslide to Magic Kingdom Park. There's the hard to quantify issues of cleanliness, maintenance and upkeep, show standards, Walt's design touches, weather and climate, CM attitudes, etc., etc.

But there are some things you can easily quantify - rides, attractions and major entertainment. That's where Disneyland clearly wins.

Disneyland Park, Summer 2015
45 Attractions
(Innonventions removed from list of Attractions because it has been closed all summer and will reopen as Star Wars Launch Bay in November, which will increase Attraction total to 46)
34 of those Attractions are Rides with moving ride vehicles
11 of those Rides are E Tickets; Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mt., Thunder Mt., Small World, Submarine Voyage, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Space Mt., Star Tours
1 Soundsational Parade, 2 Paint The Night Parades, 2 Fantasmic! shows, 1 Disneyland Forever fireworks = 4 major entertainment spectaculars with 6 scheduled showtimes

Magic Kingdom Park, Summer 2015
36 Attractions
of those Attractions are Rides
of those Rides are E TIckets; Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mt., Thunder Mt., Small World, Space Mt.
1 Festival of Fantasy Parade, 2 Electrical Parades, 1 Wishes fireworks = 3 major entertainment spectaculars with 4 scheduled showtimes

There's about 10 missing attractions and a couple major entertainment offerings missing at Magic Kingdom Park. But the walkways are very wide, and the castle is very tall, so TDO must think they can get away with it.

Stevie Amsterdam

After four days of voting, Disneyland wins by a landslide to Magic Kingdom Park. There's the hard to quantify issues of cleanliness, maintenance and upkeep, show standards, Walt's design touches, weather and climate, CM attitudes, etc., etc.

But there are some things you can easily quantify - rides, attractions and major entertainment. That's where Disneyland clearly wins.

Disneyland Park, Summer 2015
45 Attractions
(Innonventions removed from list of Attractions because it has been closed all summer and will reopen as Star Wars Launch Bay in November, which will increase Attraction total to 46)
34 of those Attractions are Rides with moving ride vehicles
11 of those Rides are E Tickets; Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mt., Thunder Mt., Small World, Submarine Voyage, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Space Mt., Star Tours
1 Soundsational Parade, 2 Paint The Night Parades, 2 Fantasmic! shows, 1 Disneyland Forever fireworks = 4 major entertainment spectaculars with 6 scheduled showtimes

Magic Kingdom Park, Summer 2015
36 Attractions
of those Attractions are Rides
of those Rides are E TIckets; Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mt., Thunder Mt., Small World, Space Mt.
1 Festival of Fantasy Parade, 2 Electrical Parades, 1 Wishes fireworks = 3 major entertainment spectaculars with 4 scheduled showtimes

There's about 10 missing attractions and a couple major entertainment offerings missing at Magic Kingdom Park. But the walkways are very wide, and the castle is very tall, so TDO must think they can get away with it.
But to be fair, don't you think MM+ should be counted for as something quantifiable? I know that people either hate or love MM+ but in terms of planning ahead and cutting down waiting time in lines, hasn't MM+ earned it's stripes? When I was in DL a few weeks ago I had to work with paper FP's, which honestly isn't all that bad. But, when I was at MK last year I could change my reserved FP's to other rides when I noticed that there was only a small queue / waiting time at the ride that I originally planned to do. That, along with with other conviences that come with MM+ should be thrown at the balance too I think ;)

s8film40

But to be fair, don't you think MM+ should be counted for as something quantifiable? I know that people either hate or love MM+ but in terms of planning ahead and cutting down waiting time in lines, hasn't MM+ earned it's stripes? When I was in DL a few weeks ago I had to work with paper FP's, which honestly isn't all that bad. But, when I was at MK last year I could change my reserved FP's to other rides when I noticed that there was only a small queue / waiting time at the ride that I originally planned to do. That, along with with other conviences that come with MM+ should be thrown at the balance too I think ;)
MM+ is definitely a factor. I have friends who buy an AP every year and visit 2-3 times per year. They have decided not to renew their pass this year and are looking at going to DL possibly getting an AP there. Obviously other factors were involved in this decision no new attractions, looking for something new etc. but MM+ was for them the tipping point.

sfeinst

I've been to WDW many times, Disneyland twice (though to be honest, not much memory of the first time).

Though I think Disneyland has the better selection of rides, I voted MK because for walking around and just enjoying the park, I think MK is better. It is larger, so more space to move. I prefer the size of Cinderella's castle to Sleeping Beauty (just too small) and main street is I think twice the length (if not, it is definitely longer at least).

So if going strictly for rides, I would have picked Disneyland. But going for total experience, I prefer MK.

Goofyernmost

I prefer Disneyland. It's already been mentioned that there are more attractions there which is one reason why I pick it over MK. But a few other reasons which have not been mentioned are:

-Overall cleanliness of DL park beats MK any day
-Maintenance of attractions, fewer broken effects at DL
-Upkeep of the park is better at DL. At MK I notice things that need a new coat of paint. Not the case at DL.
-Park size is smaller, so less walking. More attractions within a smaller footprint.
The last time I was in DL was in 2005. That, if you recall, was the 50th Anniversary Celebration of Disneyland. I don't think that there ever was a time that DL was more in focus then during that time. This is what I observed in that pristine park that everyone has the blinders on about.

Cleanliness: Not much different from what I saw. Napkins on the ground, empty cups, etc. Same as WDW.

Maintenance of Attractions: I will have to let you be the expert on that end. I am bewildered as to how people think that WDW with thousands of people visiting everyday has operated for 40+ years if maintenance was not being taken care of as quickly as possible. The "blessing of size" in WDW is really more of a nightmare in WDW due to being spread out as much as it is. Things are prioritized, because that is what we as humans do, to take care of the major things as they happen and work in the frill stuff later. Even in our own homes we do that, why do you think this should be any different. If you think it's because you "paid so much to get in" ask yourself how much you paid to get in your house. Why don't you insist that it be pristine as well.

Upkeep of the park: Also comes under maintenance. I will list just three of the most glaring things that I saw at DL. The first was the staircase up to the train station on Main Street. Almost the exact spot where the picture of Walt looking at the park was taken. Had a completely broken step with pieces of the brick and concrete just laying on the other steps. The second was at Small world.There was a huge hole in the external wall. Not a clean cut of maintenance, but, a clearly broken out part of the wall. It was about the size of a beach ball with jagged edges and appeared to have been run into by something at sometime. It didn't look like a new thing and the pieces were just lying on the ground. Third, was at another ride (I don't remember which one) that had steel railings that formed the queue. The railings were seriously rusted to the point that I got rust on my hands when I accidentally touched it. Needed sanding and painting and looked like it had been like that for awhile judging by the amount of rust caused by the paint wearing through and not repainted.

Park Size, is what it is and has all the attractions crammed in one place. Yes, it is less walking, but, it is a requirement not a planned idea. The other thing that bothered me there were the groups of Disney locals that thought that they personally owned the park. The didn't chant, but they held hands and sang during a ride or attraction that they knew so well that they had every word memorized. They monopolized rides like the Tiki Room and completely dominated the show. They were having fun, but, it was fun at the expense of the first, and possibly only, time Guests. The took up all the benches as they sat around living in their little dream world and had an attitude the screamed, we belong here and you don't. Make way for us! I'll take the Tour Groups at WDW. At least I can get away from them.

I like Disneyland, but, this constant DL is so much better is a bunch of garbage. It is run by exactly the same company and upper management and there really isn't that much difference.

JohnD

Alright. I'll admit I've never been to DL. One day. . . But it's not a fair comparison. DL is forced to do more with less (space) than MK alone. At WDW you can spread attractions across four parks. At DLR, two. So, on that basis alone DL wins over MK. However, WDW wins over DLR because more attractions over four parks than across two.

Travel Junkie

I like Disneyland, but, this constant DL is so much better is a bunch of garbage. It is run by exactly the same company and upper management and there really isn't that much difference.

The 2 resorts are run drastically different. Sometimes I’m amazed they are owned by the same company. As you mentioned you haven’t been in 10 years to Disneyland, which may explain why you don’t notice this.

I find Disneyland much better organized in terms of planning for events. They generally do the best they can given the space constraints in dealing with large numbers of people. The entertainment choices at both resorts are very different. The atmosphere entertainment is nearly nonexistent at WDW sans Epcot whereas it is everywhere you look at DLR. DLR has many more attraction overlays and seasonal offerings than WDW. I can go to WDW once a decade and it pretty much looks the same. Disneyland is in a constant state of flux. The small extra things that DLR offers like AP discounts and AP events that are not found at WDW. THE CM’s at Disneyland I find are much more down to earth, regularly striking up conversations with guests while waiting for parades or attractions. I’ve seen crowd control CM’s playing games with guests as they walk by. I find energy with them that I rarely find at WDW where it seems much more corporate.

I could go on but you get the idea. For me it’s the little things that make a world of difference at Disneyland.

Alright. I'll admit I've never been to DL. One day. . . But it's not a fair comparison. DL is forced to do more with less (space) than MK alone. At WDW you can spread attractions across four parks. At DLR, two. So, on that basis alone DL wins over MK. However, WDW wins over DLR because more attractions over four parks than across two.

If I'm not mistaken DLR's attraction count is higher than WDW's. If not higher they are virtually dead even. Which is sad considering WDW has twice as many parks.

The primary feeling I get from WDW is disappointment. It has such a great foundation, so many inherent advantages to any other them park resort on the planet and should be much more than what it is. I still like WDW, but I would prefer to spend time at DLR and TDR.

Animaniac93-98

The MK was supposed to be Disneyland 2.0, improving on what was at DL and avoiding the mistakes they made with the original. The problem is that they never spent the money they should have.

This. If this thread were comparing the MK of 1975 to Disneyland of the same year, MK would win hands down.

Since that time however (for the most part), Disneyland has dramatically improved, while MK has changed for the worse with such great ideas as the 2001 Emporium expansion, dropping the Diamond Horseshoe Revue, greenlighting two half finished land revisions (and then letting Tomorrowland rot), the lazy Aladdin Adventureland addition etc. That and the selection of food and shops isn't what it used to be either.

mikenatcity1

I would have to choose Disneyland. While I LOVE Magic Kingdom, it feels like the other parks (in terms of food and merchandise and decorations). Disneyland has very specific items and specialty shops. Are there parts of each that are better than the other? Absolutely! I feel at home with MK but love DL a little more. If you talk about just attractions, DL hands down.

KCheatle

Wow - I can't vote because I don't have a clear answer. There are serious pros and cons to both.

My Pros for DL: character M&Gs, POTC, Splash, Frontierland and New Orleans Square in general are awesome, Haunted Mansion, IASW, Buzz ride, and the fact that there are very few scooters.

My Pros for MK: Main Street and Castle stature, Fantasyland and new Fantasyland, the all around immersion feeling that you can only get at WDW, Wishes, parades, Tomorrowland in general I prefer, I think the demeanor of the guests and CMs is better because WDW guests are by and large people who are vacationing for an extended period of time and are happy to be there whereas DL guests are like weekend trips or day trips, so they're just less excited. I think the food selection is better at MK. And, I love the entrance and exit - you don't walk out to a shopping mall or parking lot. You are still immersed even when you exit.

Edit: After looking at my list, I'm gonna have to go with MK I guess. I think it just tipped the scales a bit.

Jake Wilson

I prefer Disneyland to Magic Kingdom, but I prefer the WDW resort as a whole to the Disneyland resort.
This covers it entirely! I am a Utahn and get to go to Disneyland often, I would take WDW over DL if I could only go to one of them that year. It is almost like a whole different world where I can get lost and not even hear about current events going on in the real world. Disneyland is a great long weekend trip, Walt Disney World as a whole is a vacation or even a journey to a new world and takes the cake as a whole. DL by far gets the 1day trip over any other theme park in existence through my eyes, the history and quality cant be beaten!

PlaneCrazy1978

Been to DL twice now and MK more than I can count. This was a very close vote for me. The reason I give it to MK is nostalgia. I just like the "feeling" of MK more. It feels as though I'm on vacation when I am at MK, and I have a ton more memories with my DW there, so I'm biased :)

I do have to make a point that DL beats MK on rides, hands down. Indy, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland of DL completely beats MK, then add in New Orleans Square. And of course it's cool that Walt actually was there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom