Nineteen Eighty-Four Competition Arena

Flippin'Flounder

The Blue Sky

The Blue Sky will be a competition airing on ABC this fall, hosted by Tony Baxter. It will focus on the idea process of Imagineering. Each week there'll be 2 competitions. The first competition will be the "Nomination Competition". The competitors will be split into teams of 2, and the losing team will go up for elimination that week. When there is an odd number of remaining competitors, the player who won the "Immunity Competition" the prior week will not compete. The Immunity Competition is only between the 2 people up for elimination that week. Whoever wins decides who to put up instead. The competition will have 12 competitors, with one being eliminated each week. Three of the competitors have been recruited from these forums, @Master Yoda , @MOXOMUMD , and @Goofyernmost

The Endgame

At the final three, there will be a free for all competition. Whoever wins decides who to take to the finale. Tony Baxter, Marty Sklar, and Joe Rhode will decide the winner based on the entire season.

The Prize

The winner of "The Blue Sky" will be awarded $100,000 and a two-week Disney vacation. The vacation can be to Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disneyland Resort, Aulauni, or any of the Disney Cruise Line ships. All hotel, airfare, dining, and entertainment will be paid for.

"All you need is One Little Spark of inspiration"

-Tony Baxter on The Blue Sky

Last edited:

RMichael21

I apologize in advance for any typos, Im doing this from mobile.

@Basketbuddy101

Great job on your concept this challenge! Let's start with what I liked. Neil Patrick Harris would be a FANTASTIC host for this kind of show. He'd definitely add some charm to the show. I love the poster, but what's the point of having those two "ears" on Neil's leg? :confused: I also really liked your slogan. While I loved your idea, there were a few flaws. First, I don't really think that the name "Imagineer Me" has any connection to the theme or the format of the show. It just seems liked you created a catchy name than would look nice on promotional posters. Also, your basic format and theme was rather simple, which could have worked if done right. But I think in this case, it didn't work to your advantage. This brings me to my other point. Four episodes per challenge is a very large amount of time for only one challenge. With such a simple format, 25 episodes would really drag on in my opinion. I think that having a maximum of two episodes per challenge would have worked much better with Blue Sky and Production in one episode and and Presentation and Judging in the next. That would make the show much more exciting, in my opinion. Next, you never specified how long an episode would be and how often they would air. 30 minutes? 1 hour? 2 hours? Once a week? Three times a week? You really never said.

My one main nitpick however is that you really didn't dive into any twists. With such a simple, plain format, twists would really be needed to make the show more exciting, but the only one that you mentioned was the "Triple Threat Challenge" which was only a sentence hidden within a paragraph. With 4 episodes per challenge, hardly any twists and a very simple format, I have to say that your show could get boring at points.

Creativity: 6/10 While your idea was somewhat unique, it really didn't have any "wow" factor that would make me want to watch. I'd probably only watch because it has to do with imagineering.

Detail: 9/10 Even though you missed some key ideas like how long and episode is or how often episodes air, the rest of your proposal was very detailed.

Realism: 6/10 It's not very realistic in my opinion to drag one challenge into 4 episodes. While this might provide a more relaxed pace, reality shows aren't meant to be slow, they're supposed to hit on high points while providing just enough information to keep things exciting.

Presentation: 8/10 Your posters and images were great and everything was organized. Nothing special, but it wasn't bad either.

Total: 29/40

@DisneyManOne

Good job in this Power of Veto competition DMO! Let's start with the good. I like the simpler format, but unlike @Basketbuddy101, there were just enough twists and proper formatting to keep things exciting. Like Neil Patrick Harris, I think that Tom Bergeron is a natural choice for this kind of show. Now for the bad. I'm very disappointed, to be honest. All you did was pull your League of Dreamers off the shelf and throw in some twists, some of which we've already seen on these boards in competitions like The Creator Games. While your competition on the boards is creative in itself, it's not exactly creative for this challenge, which wanted you to create an all new competition for television. All you did was take the easy way out. While this is the case, I do think, however, that the format works well. There wasn't that much detail, so that left me wondering about little things that you never mentioned like how often episodes air and how long they are (similar to @Basketbuddy). Unlike @Basketbuddy however, you chose a reasonable amount of episodes (I think it was 12?). Finally, the fact that there aren't losers makes me question the amount of suspense in the show. Having someone be eliminated and out of the running really raises the stakes.

Creativity: 4/10 There really wasn't much new material in your proposal, most of the things that were in your concept we had seen before.

Detail: 6/10 Not much detail as well, but the things that you did dive into were described well.

Realism: 8/10 While you didn't do as well in other categories, this was your main selling point. I can really see your show happening.

Presentation: 5/10 very bare, there really wasn't much to it.

Total: 23/40

@mickeyfan5534

I really enjoyed this concept. There wasn't that much that I didn't like about it. I really enjoyed the faster paced format, with one challenge per episode. While the different challenges for each episode weren't the most creative, I could really see an imagineering using these prompts. I also realyl loved the name and slogan. Very catchy and memorable. One thing, however, is that John Lasseter is so busy with his actual job, I doubt that he would be able to host a full-time reality show.

Creativity: 7/10 Not the most creative, but I found it one of the more exciting proposals for this challenge.

Detail: 7/10 Not the most detailed, but there was enough there for me to get the gist.

Realism: 7/10 I don't see John Lasseter being a host, but everything else I could see happening.

Presentation: 6/10 Like @DisneyManOne, there really wasn't much to the presentation.

Total: 27/40

@IDInstitute

Fantastic project this challenge IDI! Let's start with what I liked. I like the name and slogan, simple but interesting at the same time. Then way you described the reason why a simpler format is needed was perfect, really lets me realize that you thought about the details. I LOVED the added details of the time, episode length, and how it's filmed at DHS. Really nice additions. I really liked the idea of the conestants living at Golden Oaks, really creative! I also really enjoyed the detailed challenge outline. Now for the nitpicks. While I like the idea of a live studio audience, I'm not sure that replacing Frozen's successful sing along would be the best business move. Frozen is extremely popular and there are tons of other spaces where a theater could have been built. Also, on the image on the last page, the "Walt Disney" blended in with the background color, but that's a minor concern. Finally, I really don't see John Lasseter as being a host for some reason.

Creativity: 8/10 Truly creative things like having a setting and live audience made this concept really stand out.

Detail: 9.5/10 there we're details after details in your proposal, it was all really thought out.

Realism: 6/10 While I could see some things happening, things like replacing Frozen and having John Lasseter as a host don't seem very realistic.

Presentation: 9/10 VERY clean and organized presentation with the site, well done!

Total: 32.5/40

@Flippin'Flounder

Good concept this challenge! Lets start with what what enjoyed. I liked the name and I think that Tony Baxter would make a great host. But to be honest, im very disappointed and I apologize if i sound harsh here. There was no detail whatsoever and I founds your concept somewhat boring to read. You barely provided any information on about twists, challenges, production or basic formatting. It didnt even follow all of the challenges requirments, you were missing a slogan. Overall, not great proposal, I'm sorry to say it. It seems as if you forgot about the challenge and threw this together in 20 minutes. While the idea was good, the execution was rather poor. While it's okay to have a smaller am amount of sentences, you should at least put LOTS of detail into what you have. Once again, apologies to the harsh review.

Creativity: 6/10 Not horrendous, but not the best either.

Detail: 2/10 no details at all, sorry.

Realism: 7/10 While you lacked in other categories, I do see this happening.

Presentation: 5/10 Not much to it, it was pretty bare

Total: 20/40

DinoInstitute

IRealism: 6/10 While I could see some things happening, things like replacing Frozen and having John Lasseter as a host don't seem very realistic.
The reason I chose that theater was just because I didn't think it was realistic at all to build another while theater just for this, plus the Frozen show seems kind of temporary and something like this would fit better. My other thought for a theater to use was the new one being built over down by Rockin Roller Coaster, but the problem was we don't really know what it's purpose will be yet.
Also, for John, I just thought we needed someone in imagineering to host, and he's a fun figure :D :p

Anyways, thanks for the review! :)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@Basketbuddy101

Creativity: 5/10 Seems fairly by the numbers to me, and I also think the game format was rather confusing with the "Staff", five challenges an episode etc.

Realism: 6/10 NPH is a great choice as host, but I think the guest casting on the blog was a little uninspired not to mention I doubt that blog's big enough that ABC would make a big deal about having three people from it in their cast. The casting in general disappointed me all around I must say. Nobody went outside the box to get a really out of left field choice.

Detail: 7/10 It was explained well enough, but left me scratching my head a bit at how complicated some of it was.

Presentation: 7.5/10 That poster was great, but in general this definitely wasn't your strongest project.

Total: 25.5/40

@mickeyfan5534

Creativity: 5/10 There wasn't a lot of stuff here that's not in general Armchair Imagineering competitions on these boards, which usually start with smaller projects and build towards bigger ones.

Realism: 5/10 Basketbuddy's really the only one out of that group that would probably be compelling enough to actually be cast (not to mention I know FF is underaged...not sure about DisneyMan.) It did bother me that you guys pretty much ONLY cast based on people on this board, which is NOT really realistic at all considering the three recruited people are meant to draw in viewers. No Joe Schmoe flipping through channels is going to stop in his tracks because a few random no-names from a random fan forum are in the cast.

Detail: 6/10 Just fine, but I would have liked to see more of how this would work as a TV show.

Presentation: 5/10 Fairly bare bones

Total: 21/40

@DisneyManOne

Creativity: 4/10 You didn't come up with your own game structure but instead lifted it from another source.
Realism: 8/10 Having said that I do think LoD would fit really well as a TV show. While I still have my same issues with casting people from this board at least BB, ManEatingWreath, and TrevorA are both over 18 and would therefore be eligible for a show like this. As much as I think Tom Bergeron as host is a bit uninspired it's certainly a likely direction ABC would go in.
Detail: 7/10 Not a ton, but enough to get the point across for sure.
Presentation: 2/10 Hardly any formatting at all, as a matter of fact it'd be easy to miss this for a non-project post...

Total: 21/40

@IDInstitute

Creativity: 8.5/10 Out of all the submissions yours was definitely the one that felt that most like a TV show and less like just lifting the concepts we play around with in competitions here on the boards. MAJOR props for giving a compelling reason for the generic name.

Realism: 6/10 You laid stuff out well, but I have a few concerns. One, I'm not sure having it be on multiple times a week is the best idea as the show isn't a proven success yet. I'm also VERY iffy about "America Votes" in any sort of capacity because there will always be the possibility that producers edit certain people more favorably than others which will almost certainly be the case, and I really don't like the idea of a public vote based on edit. I feel like even shows like Idol this can get unfair as the people who get "sob story" packages before they perform are FAR MORE likely to get votes vs. the random people the producers stick in the middle of the show without a fanfare intro package.

I'm also somewhat hesitant about the idea of the "house" being on WDW property. Wouldn't this make it really easy for the general public who know EXACTLY where this is being filmed to try and sneak in and get their own "private" tours. Lastly, while Space and especially England would be great casting choices, Tcool again is underaged and wouldn't be eligible to get on a show like this.

Detail: 8/10 Can't complain here!
Presentation: 9/10 Very solid and professional looking website.

Total: 31.5/40

@Flippin'Flounder

Creativity: 4/10 Seems like a very standard, no-frills competition format.
Realism: 7/10 Really can't complain as a TON of reality shows use this format. I don't know alot about your recruited people from the board but if their ages are correct then they all seem to be professional people who would work well in a show like this. I'm fairly bummed that none of you guys went the route of picking someone like Adam the Woo who actually has a sizable following that would translate into getting people interested in the show that might not be otherwise.
Detail: 6/10 There's not a ton that I'm missing here, it's just all very no-frills.
Presentation: 3/10 Way to not bold two out of the three headings. Consistency! :p

Total: 20/40

And that brings the rankings for this round with the combined scores of @RMichael21 and I up to. @JokersWild is still planning on giving feedback, but his scores will not count towards the winner.

1. @IDInstitute 64/80
2. @Basketbuddy101 54.5/80
3. @mickeyfan5534 48/80
4. @DisneyManOne 44/80
5. @Flippin'Flounder 40/80

Which means congratulations @IDInstitute, you have won this week's Power of Veto! If you choose to use the Power of Veto on either @mickeyfan5534 or @Flippin'Flounder then @DisneyManOne will automatically become the replacement nominee. Please announce how you intend to use the PoV in this thread as soon as possible.

DinoInstitute

Realism: 6/10 You laid stuff out well, but I have a few concerns. One, I'm not sure having it be on multiple times a week is the best idea as the show isn't a proven success yet. I'm also VERY iffy about "America Votes" in any sort of capacity because there will always be the possibility that producers edit certain people more favorably than others which will almost certainly be the case, and I really don't like the idea of a public vote based on edit. I feel like even shows like Idol this can get unfair as the people who get "sob story" packages before they perform are FAR MORE likely to get votes vs. the random people the producers stick in the middle of the show without a fanfare intro package.

I'm also somewhat hesitant about the idea of the "house" being on WDW property. Wouldn't this make it really easy for the general public who know EXACTLY where this is being filmed to try and sneak in and get their own "private" tours. Lastly, while Space and especially England would be great casting choices, Tcool again is underaged and wouldn't be eligible to get on a show like this.
Just to touch on a few points here also...
-there is actually only one show a week on Friday, but 90 minutes to fit it all in. I may have made that a bit confusing by relating it to the Big Brother schedule, so my bad. But yeah, I actually did choose Friday because it wouldn't have proven its popularity yet.
-I also considered the whole editing aspect in terms of voting. That's why I had the Dream Match proposals be anonymous, that way America doesn't know who made whic concept. The show will have some clips of them making their projects, but not enough to really make it clear who's was which
-Fair point about the house... I mean, I figured there could always just be security guards outside it and in the area, but that would make things a bit complicated. Though if I'm not mistaken I think you have to be granted access to get into the Golden Oaks community area anyways, but idk.
- :p I just asked tcool because I was thinking it was hypothetical. Though, I still did have three others of legal age! ;) :p :D
Im fairly bummed that none of you guys went the route of picking someone like Adam the Woo who actually has a sizable following that would translate into getting people interested in the show that might not be otherwise.
I think the only issue is that the challenge was a bit short, so that makes it kind of hard to ask people not connected to the forum if they would be interested because you need to give them enough time to respond after you finish.

Anyways, thanks for the review and all of the kind words, and good luck to DM1 and MF! :)

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
By a vote of two to zero.

@mickeyfan5534....you are safe.

I'm sorry @DisneyManOne, you have been evicted from the Nineteen Eighty-Four House and have become the third jury member along with @Brer Panther and @GMR710

That leaves us with a final four of @IDInstitute, @mickeyfan5534, @Basketbuddy101, and @Flippin'Flounder. Two big heavyweights in IDI and Basketbuddy vs. two up-and-comers in FF and Mickeyfan.

Final Four Head of Household Competition
The Neverland Files

Only IDI, Mickeyfan, and Flippin Flounder will be competing in this competition. One of the most famous aspects of Imagineering is the fact that for every concept that sees the light of day there's about ten fully designed attractions that never make it off the drawing board. Your goal for this challenge is to take one of said never built attractions and pitch a present day attraction using the same concepts. I'll leave it up to the houseguests to do their own research. Rather you want to completely replicate a never-built attraction or use some of the themes and concepts for a slightly different take is entirely up to you, but keep in mind doing something like putting Western River Expedition in Frontierland and not changing up the general layout will NOT get you many creativity points. Good luck houseguests. This project is due Monday August 31st at 11 PM Eastern.

Also just a word on the game structure for the rest of the season. Whoever wins HoH will of course have to nominate two of the three other houseguests. The final Veto of the season is where things get interesting. If one of the two nominees wins the Veto then the non-HoH houseguest who isn't nominated will automatically become the replacement nomination. If the person who doesn't get nominated wins Veto they automatically are safe and cast the SINGLE vote to evict for the week. If the Head of Household wins Veto as always they can either switch out one of their nominations or keep them the same. No matter what happens there will be only ONE vote to evict this week, and that will automatically be the non-Head of Household who isn't on the block after the Power of Veto ceremony.

Once we have our fourth jury member, we will move on to the first of THREE 24 hour long final Head of Household competitions. The winner of the first will automatically advance to the third round. Whoever wins the second round will go on to the final round to face the winner of the first round. Winner of the final round will become the final Head of Household and must choose who to take to the final two to face the jury and who to send to the jury house as the final juror. The jury will then vote on a winner.

Last edited:

DinoInstitute

HoH Challenge 7- The Neverland Files
@IDInstitute's Submission

One thing you can't hear enough on these boards is the desire of what could have been at the Disney parks- some of the greatest concepts ever created, such as Beasttly Kingdom, Western River Expedition, and several others were put on hold for several reasons. Except now, one is back.

While there were a lot of different ideas that I would love to play around with (including the two above), I tried to think about what is most relevant today to make a good addition. And then it hit me- The Monsters, Inc. Door Coaster!

Ever wondered what this structure was built for in Pixar Place?
image.jpg

Well, rumors support that it was actually supposed to be the initial construction to a Monsters Inc mini area with a door coaster concept planned. This would have looked like a similar structure in Monstropolis (which I can't seem to find a picture of).

In addition, another planned concept was going to go in DCA (near the current ride), but it too got scrapped.

Just take a look at this relatively recent thread- well known member and insider Martin explains how it would have been an amazing concept: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/door-coaster.902531/

Anyways, I'm here to revive this concept, except in a bit of a modified way. It will come to DHS as its own Monstropolis land, with the hook attraction being the door coaster.

Take a look at this relatively understandable map I drew out for you!
image.jpg

This land will be located in the southwest corner of the park, near where Carastrophe Canyon and LMA are now. The two entrances to the bottom the the land will come from Toy Story Land, while the one on the left will come from what is currently the Streets of America area.

The show building in the top right of the map (labeled number two) represents the dark ride Mike and Sully to the Rescue, which will make its way over here as a cheap add. It will have an upgraded facade though, with the theme being public transit through Monstropolis it will represent that a bit more.
image.jpg

In the bottom left (labeled number three) is Harryhousen's restaurant, another incredible eating experience to add to the immersive land!
image.jpg

Also, labeled number four in several places on the map, are simple Monsters-themed shops and quick service places like in any other land.

The big hook of this land though without a doubt it the giant Monsters Incorporated building in the distance, housing the Monsters Inc Door Coaster!
image.jpg

The queue will take you throughout the building- You will start in the main hall underneath the giant mural of the Monster world (and you can even see all of the employee of the month pictures!), you will walk through the monsters locker room (where there will be a few humorous gags such as the different "odorants" and other monster takes on our daily life), and even pass by the many halls where Mike worries Boo is breing crushed into garbage.

Finally, you will make your way into the scare floor where a small series of switchbacks await your ride.
The vehicles are suspended coaster carts, with the backs of them being themed to different doors. Soon, the vehicle will take off, going straight up suddenly into the tunnel that takes you into the Door Room!

Much like the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, this is a part coaster part dark ride hybrid. It will start with a fairly intense high speed ride around many tracks with dips and turns (and even "fake" tracks that have themed doors riding on them), until you come to a stop at the doors on the wall. You will go through several dark ride scenes visiting different kids' homes all over the world (from Paris to the gator country), and then you will take off again. This time you will pass by doors with screens on them that help tell the story of this part of the movie, you can see Sully and Randel fighting in the room. In the end, as we know, good wins out! As you wait to pull back in to the loading/unloading dock, you can see a scene of animatronic Sully/Mike pushing Randles door down the side of the bridge (like the witch waiting outside the cabin).

The ride in total is about two minutes. It is an e-ticket, and perhaps one of the best out there! Thanks for reading!
image.jpg

Flippin'Flounder

The Neverland Files
This week on 1984 we were tasked with redesigning an attraction that didn't quite "go the distance". The obvious initial thought, of course, was the Western River Expedition, the famed ride that was supposed to be in a place of Pirates of the Caribbean at Walt Disney World. However, due to the popularity of PotC, WRE was scrapped. Now, with North America on the "horizon" at Disney's Animal Kingdom, it's time we revive the classic lost ride.

The new land would be west of the train tracks, with access from Africa and Asia. To make sure the train doesn't ruin the atmosphere, there will be a wall of trees blocking it from the train. The main attraction in this land is obviously Western River Expedition.

My internet went haywire after this, and everything else was lost. Sorry

mickeyfan5534

I'd like to apologize, I thought the assignment was due today but I did have a plan and a very basic write up.

Frozen Voyage to the Enchanted Ice Palace
In Disneyland, something has been appearing in Fantasyland. In the former spot where the Motor Boat Cruise lay, a palace made of ice has now appeared. A Frozen ride has taken root in the park. Marc Davis's unused idea for a water ride in Fantasyland has finally come to fruition. Join Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf as they take you on a magical journey from Arendelle to Elsa's own ice palace. The queue transports you to the Kingdom of Arendelle, and you load in front of the castle.

Scene 1: Town
You journey through beautiful Arendelle where you are greeted by Princess Anna, who decides to take you on a tour of the magical kingdom. Using new technology, an animatronic of Anna walks alongside your boat as you go through the town and projected townspeople go around.

Scene 2: Castle
Anna welcomes you to the palace and you enter it to Elsa greet you and Anna talks about the castle.

Scene 3: Oaken's
Anna then takes you to Oken's Shop and Sauna where Kristoff is once more in an argument with the merchant.

Scene 4: Mountain
Olaf greets you and walks alongside, gushing about anything and everything to do with summer as animals go around

Scene 5: Palace Part 1
You enter Elsa's palace to see the cast celebrating your arrival before moving into the next room.

Scene 6: Palace Part 2
Glittering ice crystals shine everywhere as you see Elsa sing Let it Go, before heading to the unload and outside. Nearby is a giftshop based off of Oaken's and a meet and greet with Anna, Elsa. Kristoff, and Olaf.

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@IDInstitute

Creativity: 4/10 You really didn't spice this concept up in any way besides what we already knew it would be. And I still think it's more of a "rumored" attraction than a scrapped attraction.

Realism: 9/10 Points there, haha. It very well might happen with Pixar Studios Phase Three.

Detail: 8/10 Everything was very well explained.

Presentation: 8/10 Solid work on the reference photos and music selections.

Total: 29/40

@Flippin'Flounder unfortuantely there's not enough here to really grade one way or another. The idea of putting this in Animal Kingdom however does really intrigue me, so I'd love to hear more about this proposal if you get the time! :) Sorry to hear about your internet troubles.

@mickeyfan5534

Creativity: 6/10 I do like some of your ideas here, especially directly combining Marc Davis's old concepts with Frozen.

Realism: 9/10 Your location is exactly where I picture a permanent Frozen attraction being put into Disneyland, and in spite of the over saturation of the IP I think Elsa's Castle would look spectacular next to the Matterhorn.

Detail: 3/10 Very little here.

Presentation: 4/10 Good title, but little formatting in the descriptions.

Total: 22/40

This means congratulations @IDInstitute, you are the penultimate Head of Household! Please name two of your three remaining houseguests as nominees immediately and we'll get on to the final Power of Veto competition of the season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom