Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom poll(only those who have been to both)

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

• Disneyland

Votes: 290 60.2%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 192 39.8%

• Total voters

JeffBostock

I prefer Disneyland. It's already been mentioned that there are more attractions there which is one reason why I pick it over MK. But a few other reasons which have not been mentioned are:

-Overall cleanliness of DL park beats MK any day
-Maintenance of attractions, fewer broken effects at DL
-Upkeep of the park is better at DL. At MK I notice things that need a new coat of paint. Not the case at DL.
-Park size is smaller, so less walking. More attractions within a smaller footprint.

DManRightHere

MK. The rides are bigger, better Tomorrowland. Castle is better. Wishes is better. Better entrance. The lands feel more in depth to me.

JennSmith

I have a question, and please feel free to kick me off this thread. I don't mean to hijack but you seem to be a very educated bunch when it comes to this. If I usually go to WDW for 7 full days - 2MK, 1Epcot, 1HS, 1AK, 1 water park, 1 free day and I always feel satisfied...how many should we do at DL? I really want to go one day! Sorry again...don't hate me!!! Like I said, kick me off or even PM me to avoid hijacking the thread any further :)

Kevin_W

I have a question, and please feel free to kick me off this thread. I don't mean to hijack but you seem to be a very educated bunch when it comes to this. If I usually go to WDW for 7 full days - 2MK, 1Epcot, 1HS, 1AK, 1 water park, 1 free day and I always feel satisfied...how many should we do at DL? I really want to go one day! Sorry again...don't hate me!!! Like I said, kick me off or even PM me to avoid hijacking the thread any further :)

FWIW, we visited DL/DCA and spent 3.75 days and felt that was enough. It's a start contrast to WDW where 4 days feels very short.

On topic, I picked MK. Both parks are great, and I don't think I can be totally objective. MK was where I visited as a kid, where I went on my honeymoon, and I can still picture my daughter's face when we walked down main street and saw the castle for the first time. DL doesn't have any of that for me.

acishere

MK has the superior castle, Splash Mountain, and Tomorrowland style in my opinion. DL edges them out everywhere else though. Better ride versions, upkeep, cleanliness, the Matterhorn, and they still have Mr. Toad. Just feels like much more of an effort is put into keeping DL up to expectations.

I like AK and Epcot more than DCA though so WDW as a whole edges out DLR in the end.

Goofyernmost

To answer your question, I think that 3 days at DL will get you to the highlights and those worthy of visiting. (not everything is) BTW, I don't hate you for asking that question, but, everything is so localized and close that more can be done even when park hopping.

Now to the subject at hand. I have been to both (WDW much more then DL), they both have their winning points. DL is historic and the motherland of all theme parks. It's important to point out that when DL first opened there wasn't much to do and it was primarily a one day park. However, Walt Disney actually walked that park and that makes it special. Comparing attractions can be misleading though. For example, Pirates is a longer ride, but, only part of it is about Pirates. Closely the same amount that WDW has. The first part of Pirates is about the Louisiana bayou. It is a continuation of the New Orleans theme that it sits in. It's nice, but, the first part is really not very entertaining. It's just a boat ride in the dark. Another example would be Indy. The Indy ride in DL is a ride. The Indy in WDW is a show. Apple to Oranges. Combining the two would have been ideal... watch the show and then take the ride, but, that isn't going to happen. Small World is basically the same ride interior, it's the exterior that is more detailed. The only time you see that is standing in the Queue or walking past it.

I found that when I went to DL, I was not paying as much attention to the individual park then I do at WDW. If I go to a WDW park, I expect that if I wanted I could spend my whole time there on that day. Not so much with DL since DCA became a reality. So, in conclusion, they both have their charm and reason for visiting, however, I have no desire to fly across country to see it again. Once and done for me when it comes to planning a second trip, it would be a circumstance that drives it, not a desire.

Socalphili

Having grown up with WDW (first trip was April 1972) and worked at Disneyland because of my love for all things Disney, I dont think you can compare them equally. DL still has Mr. Toad but WDW has the new Fanatsy land. I have been to both parks way more times than I can count!! I think this is more about where your heart lies...... Mine still goes back to WDW. Still think DL is hands down the heart of Walt himself, but WDW just takes you to a place removed from the everyday and places you inside the "Disney bubble".

skimbob

DL hands down because it is the original and the only True Happiest Place On Earth. When we ran in January some CM at MK told this lady next to me to smile because you are in the Happiest Place on Earth and she turned to me and said I thought that was DL. I laughed and said it is he is just confused. I have to say that I love certain parks at WDW like AK and Epcot as well as parts of MK but overall the layout of MK to me seems a bit off.

WDW Guru

In my opinion the only land that Magic Kingdom beats Disneyland on is Tomorrowland and thats by the slightest of margins.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

Did Disneyland ever have a joint that had a hot cheese on their fixins bar? If so, is it still around?
Nope. No fixins bar that had hot cheese, grilled onions, or mushrooms. I grew up up going to Disneyland and still have a annual pass there. Plus I worked there for 3 years and loved walking around back stage. Disneyland has better rides, food, and history. I know where every single thing is. The only down size of Disneyland are the walkways. They are way too cramped compared to Magic Kingdom. As a Disneyland snob. I have to say that there really isn't anything bad to say about the Magic Kingdom. There isn't many attraction cause the rides are spread out through 4 parks. I love both parks. My favorite theme park at Disney World though is Animal Kingdom. I don't mind the limited attractions because it's a beautiful park to just walk around.

Goofyernmost

... but far more personnel and $ to maintain it with.
It wouldn't surprise me if DL had far fewer. It's just that one can't just throw people at projects and have positive results. Ever seen a road crew of 10 people with 8 of them leaning on shovels. That's what happens, only so many can work on the same thing at one time. It also takes some skill in many areas that are not always that available. Oh, many would like to do it, but, few are really capable. WDWs blessing of size, actually can be a curse when it comes to some of this stuff. Experts on Omni-movers, for example, cannot be in MK and Epcot at the same time if they are the same person.

Mouse Trap

In my opinion Disneyland AND California Adventure are superior to any of the WDW parks.

But WDW as a RESORT is superior to DL as a resort.

GVentola

I've been to MK tons of times; I live in Central Florida. I've been to Disneyland on 3 vacations (4 if you count the trip when I was a baby. I don't remember it.). I call trips to Disneyland "pilgrimages to the Mother Park". But I can't decide which park is better, so I didn't vote. I will say I prefer DHS' Fantasmic to DL's. Our version has a ton more characters and movies referenced, plus it has Pocahontas and John Smith together in the "Pocahontas" sequence and again on the steamboat at the end. I like to say that means even Mickey Mouse likes to imagine them together. DL's Fantasmic has a nifty Peter Pan sequence that we don't have, but that's not enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom