First Disneyland Trip! September 2015

Mr Anderson

Original Poster
My lovely wife and I were planning to go to San Antonio in a few weeks, however, after some constant "I really miss Disney" conversations, and lengthy talks regarding logistics... we've decided we are taking a trip to Disneyland instead of going to SA - we booked tonight! We've never been to WDW's older brother on the West Coast, and @raven24 suggested I post here so y'all could help out, so please give us a hand and let me know:

- Ride priority: What do we absolutely HAVE to ride?
- Positive differences to note
- Negative differences to note
- Eats: What do we absolutely HAVE to eat while we are there?
- Any other thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.?

Have a magical day!!!

P.S. Would this be considered "cheating on" WDW?? :p

Californian Elitist

Glad you're here!

Must rides:

Indiana Jones

Alice in Wonderland, simply because Disneyland is the only Disney park with a ride themed to the film

Matterhorn, same reason as Alice

Depending on when you go, Haunted Mansion Holiday. A lot of people hate it, but a lot of people enjoy it.

Space Mountain

Radiator Springs Racers

Silly Symphony Swings... There's really nothing special about this ride, but it's one of my favorites in DCA

Heimlich's Chew Chew Train gets a lot of understandable hate, but I love that ride

California Screamin'

Positives:

It's the original and only park Walt Disney had a personal hand in and got to experience

Everything is within walking distance

Good options for QS

The 60th is currently going on

Indiana Jones

You're in Southern California, therefore you have many other options besides Disneyland for your trip

Cons:

Depending on your tastes, there aren't many TS choices within the parks

No onsite value hotels

There aren't as many attractions and things to do as a whole, when compared to WDW. The DLR has more rides than WDW, but overall, there's obviously much more to do at WDW

You MUST try the fried chicken at Plaza Inn and the clam chowder bread bowls. And the corn dogs at the Little Red Wagon. I suggest checking out our thread on where and where not to eat, here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dlr-food-where-to-eat-and-where-not-to.894442/

I suggest going in with an open mind and trying not to compare the DLR to WDW too much. WDW isn't the DLR and same vice versa, so enjoy it for what it is. :)

Please feel free to ask questions.

zooey

Must eat/drink:
Trader sams
Napa Rose (chefs table if you can)
And yes, Matterhorn macaroons from jolly holiday
For breakfast, go over to Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland hotel. Lovely restaurant and great deal.
Beignets from Ralph Brennan's.
Last but not least, the corn dog cart in the hub. Best corn dogs anywhere!

JillC LI

Have a magical day!!!

P.S. Would this be considered "cheating on" WDW?? :p

Not cheating - it's an open relationship ;)

Must do attractions: POC (better than WDW), BTMRR (better than WDW), Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, RSR, California Screamin', anything unique to DLR including Fantasyland and Toon Town rides. Plus don't miss WOC.

We only did counter-service on our first trip there last year, but we loved the corn dogs and we loved the soup in a bread bowl on Pacific Wharf. I've heard great things about the fried chicken at Tony's but didn't get to sample it myself.

JediMasterMatt

I was going to keep quiet on the forums as I've been busy recently and was just checking in on any news as we arrive in Anaheim tomorrow night (hopefully in time for me to snag a "backup" photo location for Disneyland Forever).

My 2 cents for any first time visitor to DLR that has experience with WDW is to unlearn most of what Orlando has conditioned you to.

Pre-planning... toss most of it out the window. If you've budgeted a few days (4ish) for the parks, then you will have plenty of time to do Disneyland the right way. Simply show up and let the day unfold. Let the day take you where it wants you to go. At most, plan on what park you want to start in (like maybe plan on showing up to DCA early to get FPs and a standby ride on RSR) and plan on where you want to end the day up for Nighttime Spectaculars. Take advantage of ways to optimize your time - like if you are planning on seeing Fantasmic and were going to eat at a table service anyway, look into the Blue Bayou dinning option for a way to minimize how much effort you need to get a better place to watch from. Same goes for Carthay and WoC.

Disneyland trips are best when you don't try to over plan them. If you do, you will miss out on all the wonderful surprises that you can encounter in the parks. You won't believe what you find around the next corner when you aren't rushing to meet an schedule like at WDW.

prberk

The Big Thunder Ranch.

And I repeat: The Big Thunder Ranch.

I visited it for the first time last weekend with my D-23 Expo DL visit, and I am so glad I did. It has been reported this week that it will close in January for demolition in preparation for Star Wars Land.

That is sad, because it is so quaint a nice respite from the go-go pace of the rest of the park. The meal is served much like the Hoop-de-Doo Revue in WDW, only it is outside (covered, but outside). A singing cowboy stage show entertains during lunch and dinner. For lunch it was a cowboy and cowgirl singing great Western and country classics ("Happy Trails," "Home on the Range," etc.) in fantastic harmony with acoustic guitar, but they interacted with the audience and let children give them lines from which to make up a song. It was fantastic, and fantastically interactive and fun. And the perfomers will interact with you afterward.

The meal was ribs, chicken, slaw, beans, etc., as you might expect. Dinner was more substantial, they said, including corn on the cob and other things. (Again, very similar to Hoop-De-Doo, except indoors.)

Adjacent to the restaurant is the petting zoo area, which WDW does not have. And across from it is Tom Sawyer Island.

Take it in, especially the singing cowboys and the petting zoo, because they will no longer be there soon. It is a quiet spot that goes back very far in Disneyland history. Well worth it.

George Lucas on a Bench

I would recommend eating on Main Street (Carnation or Plaza) and at Rancho Del Zocala in Frontierland. You can basically dine in the middle of Frontierland, or right off Main Steet/the hub in perfect weather. Nothing like it in WDW.

fosse76

My lovely wife and I were planning to go to San Antonio in a few weeks, however, after some constant "I really miss Disney" conversations, and lengthy talks regarding logistics... we've decided we are taking a trip to Disneyland instead of going to SA - we booked tonight! We've never been to WDW's older brother on the West Coast, and @raven24 suggested I post here so y'all could help out, so please give us a hand and let me know:

Matterhorn is a must. I'd recommend the single rider line, since the lines can be rather long and there is no FastPass);
The Fantasyland dark rides. All of them. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Peter Pan have the longest waits, but they aren't too bad;
Roger Rabit's Car-Toon Spin. It's fun, and the queue is pretty neat too;
The Disneyland Railroad. Particularly between Tomorrowland and Main Street stations;
The Mark Twain or Columbia Sailing Ship. Gives nice views of Tom Sawyer Island, and parts of Frontierland; plus you get a great view of the replaced Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland (they left portions of the track in place);
Indiana Jones. This breaks down frequently, so grab a FastPass or get in line when you get to the ride;
Monorail. You can take a round trip on the monorail (unless it's extremely busy, but they will tell you if it only offers one-way trips);
Autopia. I enjoy it, even though it's a car ride. It's a pretty relaxing ride, and it's pretty much covered with trees so it gets you out of the sun;
Space Mountain. This ride is extremely popular, so I'd do it first thing in the morning or at the very least grab a FastPass as soon as you can;
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad;
Cars Land and its attractions;
Tower of Terror is a little different so don't miss it;
California Screamin' is really fun; I like it more than DHS's RNR;
Monster's Inc. dark ride is cute;
The Aladdin stage show

The soundtrack on Space Mountain makes up for the one small 5 foot drop the ride has;
The differences between the DL and WDW versions of BTMRR make it a not-to-be-missed ride.
DL's layout is more compact, which makes it easier to get around. The proximity between parks and Downtown Disney is ideal if you like to hop around.

Disneyland's compactness can make it seem very crowded; also the park's layout makes for a lot of back-tracking. Also, if you aren't paying attention and make a wrong turn, you might miss Indiana Jones and the Jungle Cruise. And maneuvering through Fantasyland near the Matterhorn and IASW and Main Street during parades is impossible.

I am from New York, so there is nothing any Disney park can serve that I find to be a "must-eat." I am partial to the Big Thunder Ranch all-you-can-eat BBQ. However the food itself is nothing spectacular. Blue Bayou is nice if only for the ambiance of watching boats from PoC float by.

Use single-rider lines and FastPass as much as possible, especiall if it's crowded. And if you are there during a weekday, note that it gets more crowded in the afternoon and evening as people arrive from school/work to spend the evening.

Phroobar

I agree with everyone above. Some things that are missing from above are:
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin
Finding Nemo Submarines - because its the only sub ride left
World of Color
Monte Cristo sandwich at Blue Bayou

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom