lost magicbands

KCKAS

Original Poster
Hi all,

This is my first time using the magicbands. It will be five of us including 3 kids ages 10, 12 & 13. My question is are the magicbands secure? Do they fall off? Take off/leave on for showers? Swimming? I would also imagine at least one of my kids will want to buy the decorations for the magicbands. Will they stay on? Thank you. Karen

Tuvalu

Premium Member
They are fairly secure, although I lost my MagicBand this week! It was brutally hot and I was walking shoulder-to-shoulder through a parade crowd and when I got to the monorail I noticed it was gone. It was easy to instantly deactivate it in MDE (there is a "lost" button.) But we have worn bands for the past couple of years and this was the first incident of loss in my family.

We wear them in the pools, though they tend to fade. No need to wear them in room showers. We have not purchased any "bandits" (the decorations that pop on the bands) but have overheard several children complaining about losing one.

Tom

Beta Return
If you want to be sure you ever forgot to take it with you (and get locked out of the room), you can wear it 24/7 like people do with FitBits. I, however, would always set mine with my wallet and other daily accessories, so I never forgot to take it with me.

We wore ours in the pool, rather than leaving it on the towel/chair. It's waterproof.

We're two adults, and never lost any of ours. I've mostly heard of kids losing them because they play with them too much and wear out the snaps. And, kids just aren't as aware, and don't notice when they're gone soon enough to find it nearby.

If you're worried about kids losing theirs, you could carry them in a pocket/purse. Only really need them to get into the park, and then to use Fastpasses.

dreamfinder

I'm not a 10 yo, but I've worn mine while I've done multiple runDisney events (including the WDW Marathon) with no problems at all. I usually put it on when I get on property and don't take it off until I leave. It's just easier for me that way.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Hi all,

This is my first time using the magicbands. It will be five of us including 3 kids ages 10, 12 & 13. My question is are the magicbands secure? Do they fall off? Take off/leave on for showers? Swimming? I would also imagine at least one of my kids will want to buy the decorations for the magicbands. Will they stay on? Thank you. Karen
The bands themselves probably won't go anywhere or fall off as other posters have mentioned. If they do, they're easily marked lost. They require a PIN to make any purchases, too, so nobody is going to be able to steal one and charge a bunch of stuff to your room. One of their main convenience features is that they're fully waterproof so don't hesitate to wear it in the pool and waterparks.

As far as the accessories, there are two main types. The sliders wrap around the band and can't come off unless the band itself is removed and the slider slid off. The MagicBandits, however, are much less secure. They're attached by pressing a post with a nub on the end into one of the holes on the MagicBand. I've lost more than one that way, to the point where I've given up on them.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The bands themselves probably won't go anywhere or fall off as other posters have mentioned.
Until this week, I would have agreed with you that it was an improbability that a band would fall/pop off one's wrist. Having now experienced it, I am not as skeptical that it won't ever happen. It can.

Mukta

I 'wear' mine on my bag strap because it doesn't fit my wrist comfortably. No issues with it ever coming off.

CAPTAIN HOOK

We've just got back from 14 days wearing the Magic bands.

I never took mine off and used it in the shower, the resort pool and the water parks (I did lose my locker key out of a pocket in my swim shorts on Summit Plummit) but didn't lose the band.

Jaly05

Just agreeing with everyone and to repeat the bandits do fall off. So irritating to spend the money on them only to have them pop off same day.

jaklgreen

I have worn my band for 3 trips, 1 trip was 2 weeks long and have never had a issue with them coming off or even being loose enough to get knocked off. I will even take it off while touring the park and clip it to my belt buckle so it is swinging and hitting things and never comes loose. I think maybe some people are not snapping them closed all the way if they are getting loose. I have 14 magic bands from past trips and they are all really secure and close tight. So I would just say make sure you are snapping them closed all the way.

ninjaprincesst

One suggestion is for women and children take the outside part off so it will fit better. I have never lost one but I noticed that if I leave it too big it tends to come undone way easier, I have never had any problem with it coming undone when it wasn't flopping all over my arm. I have had the same bandits for three trips and have never had any issue with losing one.

Uncle Lupe

I have worn my band for 3 trips, 1 trip was 2 weeks long and have never had a issue with them coming off or even being loose enough to get knocked off. I will even take it off while touring the park and clip it to my belt buckle so it is swinging and hitting things and never comes loose. I think maybe some people are not snapping them closed all the way if they are getting loose. I have 14 magic bands from past trips and they are all really secure and close tight. So I would just say make sure you are snapping them closed all the way.

You bring up a good point on the amount of magic bands being used. Is there any kind of recycling program for used bands?

dreamfinder

You bring up a good point on the amount of magic bands being used. Is there any kind of recycling program for used bands?

If you elected not to get a new band, they would "recycle" it for you (maybe just reassign?), but not you can choose not to get a new band if you have been there recently.

JohnD

They do fall off. I had one fall off as I was boarding Dinosaur. Never noticed it until I was ready to purchase an item in the gift shop on the way out. Rats. It happened as I was slipping my arm out from under my backback to board and the strap knocked it loose.

Same thing happened to me at TT as I was exiting. I was wearing a F&W MB at the time. Fortunately, a CM was able to retrieve it for me. Now, I look each time I take off/put on my backpack.

You can use the MDE app to immediately deactivate it.

Last edited:

Tink28

Any suggestions for what to use to help keep them on, have seen clip things (sorry can't remember what they are called) but as they seem to come in 2 sizes don't want to buy as not sure if we will be removing grey band to wear just colour band or not

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I lost mine at one point in December. It was almost a non-event. We were leaving DHS when I realized it was gone. When we got back to our resort, I went to the front desk. Within two minutes they had deactivated the one I lost, given me a new one, and activated it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom