AVATAR land construction progress

doctornick

Any idea how long it takes to get to each park? I never have timed it.

I only stayed there once but it didn't seem that horrible. AKL only has two stops and dedicated buses, so the frequency isn't bad and that's really the biggest factor IMHO in how well transport at WDW functions. The multiple stops within a single (or shared) resort take up more time that the distance getting to a park from AKL.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This link has fairly accurate travel times from point A to B in WDW, but the big advantage AKL has is to only has 2 bus stops. Many of the other resorts have multiple stops inside the same resort or they share routes with other resorts so while the time from A to B might only be 15 minutes you have already had to deal with 20 minutes of going to stop C, D, E, F and G inside your resort.

dreamscometrue

We've stayed at AKL and Kidani several times. Obviously, it depends a lot on traffic, time of day, emh, etc., but I can give you decent estimates from our experience. Since the buses stop at both resorts, and can stay parked for a few minutes, I'll give the times from when you leave the property gate, until your bus stops at the park.
DAK...4-5 min.
DHS...12-15 min (delays usually in turning from Buena Vista Drive, into the park)
Epcot...12-15 min
MK...15-18 min
Downtown Disney...150 years! It takes forever. This was always due to congestion at the Marketplace or West Side areas. I am very appreciative that this is very much in the process of being addressed with the change over to Disney Springs.:)

stretchsje

As for the Soarin ride, some sort of test verison has to have been build because Iger has been quoted as saying he experienced it, but it's probably not a full version of what is being build.
Well, speculation was that this was going to use Vekoma's flight simulator system, which any purchaser would have "experienced" prior to purchasing. So yeah, Iger might have gotten a demo at Vekoma's headquarters, but the point may still be valid that Imagineering hasn't had a test unit to work on the programming/calibrating all the motion effects and their synchrony with other special effects. How time consuming that is, I don't know, but I'm just passing along the rumor (which I don't think is mutually exclusive with Iger's comment.)

articos

I never understood why they didn't do this, not even a walking path.
Originally the Wildlife Express was planned to connect the Lodge to the park.
Someone mentioned the the floating mountain part a few days ago, but no pictures have surfaced so far.

As for the Soarin ride, some sort of test verison has to have been build because Iger has been quoted as saying he experienced it, but it's probably not a full version of what is being build.
I don't know why he's saying "test". There's nothing to test. There is a mock-up, yes. As to the ride, there is a crude version of the ride at WDI that gives an approximation. We always end up doing a test and adjust on-site for this type of attraction, though. There's not much you can do to mock this up that you can't do in the building. It's just wasting money otherwise.

Last edited:

flyerjab

I don't know why he's saying "test". There's nothing to test. There is a mock-up, yes. As to the ride, there is a crude version of the ride at WDI that gives an approximation. We always end up doing a test and adjust on-site for this type of attraction, though. There's not much you can do to mock this up that you can't do in the building. It's just wasting money otherwise.

Connecting AKL to the park via the Wildlife Express Train would have been excellent. They should still consider doing it since they are obviously rolling in money these days.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This is what I was thinking, that you couldn't really do the programming until the whole ride was build anyway. I am pretty sure this was how Soarin was done.

djkidkaz

Do you know why this didn't happen?

And has Disney ever gone back and expanded an attraction? I know there was talk about Kali River Rapids being longer and they obviously still have the space to expand it if they wanted. The Wildlife train could still be expanded I would imagine to go to the resort. Monorail expansion. I can't recall any time where they expanded an attraction to plus it. I know we are getting expansions at TSMM and Soarin but those aren't doing anything but helping with the waits.

chiefs11

Do you know why this didn't happen?

And has Disney ever gone back and expanded an attraction? I know there was talk about Kali River Rapids being longer and they obviously still have the space to expand it if they wanted. The Wildlife train could still be expanded I would imagine to go to the resort.
I really doubt that is possible now, since they are on opposite sides of the park. Perhaps it was an early concept that used the train to connect to AKL...or maybe at some point they considered putting AKL where Rafiki's is?

Expanding Kali to have a longer ride time would certainly be feasible...hope that happens someday, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I know of some rides that were shortened (Imagination at Epcot, Studio Tour at DHS, Speedway at MK), but I also can't think of any off the top of my head that were ever lengthened.

Edit: wait a minute, I just thought of one. The flume isn't being changed that I know of, but Maelstrom is being "lengthened" in a sense to add a new show scene(s) as it becomes the Frozen ride.

Last edited:

RayTheFirefly

There was a permit filed today for "Attraction Screen Install" by Interamerica Stage Inc. The address is in the area of the other Avatar permits so this is likely the screens for the Banshee ride.
giphy.gif

flyerjab

A few reasons. Budget, capacity and the thought was the two are so close via parking lot, it would take longer to take a train than it would to just drive over and park or take a resort bus.

Yes, but what could have been cooler, is if the train that went from AKL to DAK actually dropped resort guests off inside the park at Harambe. Talk about a special onsite perk for guests staying at AKL or KV.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yes, but what could have been cooler, is if the train that went from AKL to DAK actually dropped resort guests off inside the park at Harambe. Talk about a special onsite perk for guests staying at AKL or KV.
I love AKL. That would have put that resort over the top. I keep saying we need to stay at another resort but I don't think I can tear myself away from this place. A train ride over would be cool. With the earnings reports that come out yesterday, they can afford it.

BrianLo

Construction update video by Mousesteps

Wow! The photos from Everest reveal the current mid-section they are working on of the arch is a lot further away than the close ups have implied. No wonder I was having such trouble conceptualizing the vantage point from the entrance.

I'm now certain with the appearance of the new ridge at the 1ish minute mark that we are indeed getting this view as well.

1Avatar_1.jpg

Well... at least if D23 ends up being a total bust, this sub-forum has things to talk about.

I'm now stupidly excited for this whole project.

twebber55

Wow! The photos from Everest reveal the current mid-section they are working on of the arch is a lot further away than the close ups have implied. No wonder I was having such trouble conceptualizing the vantage point from the entrance.

I'm now certain with the appearance of the new ridge at the 1ish minute mark that we are indeed getting this view as well.

1Avatar_1.jpg

Well... at least if D23 ends up being a total bust, this sub-forum has things to talk about.

I'm now stupidly excited for this whole project.
the fact they were that far apart was my first thought as well
really shows how big this area and this land is

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom