Does time of year influence where to stay?

LdyApxr

So we are planning May and Oct/Nov of next year for our first trips to the World and we are booked at the GF in May and the Poly in Oct(staying the 26th to the 2nd of Nov) but I was wondering if the weather ever influences where you stay? Does it rain more in one month than the other(of those two months) and does the Poly have indoor or outdoor corridors?

My Unofficial Guide will be here on Wednesday so I will be reading that front to back! LOL

LdyApxr

Original Poster
Those two months will have fairly similar weather, both in terms of temperature and rain. Both have uncovered outdoor walkways. I wouldn't let the weather play into the decision regardless.
Thanks! Do you mean the hallways to the rooms are outer walkways? That is what I meant but I did not say it very well. LOL

Upvote 0

Mickey5150

Thanks! Do you mean the hallways to the rooms are outer walkways? That is what I meant but I did not say it very well. LOL
In order to get to most of the rooms at the Poly and GF you need to walk outside but once you get to the individual buildings the rooms all open to interior hallways. I know there are concierge rooms in the main GF building, but that's all I remember.

Upvote 0

JoeRohdesEarring

For our stay next February we decided to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge due to it being all indoors. Sometimes it can be quite chilly then, and it is a lot nicer than being at a resort that isn't too spread out. We have stayed at Old Key West at the same time in other years and it requires a lot more walking outdoors to get around.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
When I read your title, "Does Time of Year Influence Where To Stay" I was thinking seasons, not weather...so my answer is a resounding YES:

WL during the holiday season for its amazing decorations and warm lodge ambiance
Poly during spring/summer for pool lounging, frozen drinks and the escapism the tropical feel provides
POFQ during the fall/winter when most of our time is spent in the parks (no mid-day break needed due to cooler temps & lower crowds) and we want to save $$

In 15 days we'll be relaxing at the Poly :happy: In 136 days we'll be enjoy Christmas cheer at WL :joyfull:

Upvote 0

TXDisney

I think it does. For the F&W and F&G festivals we like to be close to Epcot. We also love the pool at YC and bc which is nice in the warmer months. I like being around bay lake in other seasons.

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I am not a pool person but do like drinks by them! LOL We've done Christmas Day in DLR a couple of times(5 day stays) but this will be our first trip to WDW and to the MNSSHP. So excited!!

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

Nope, not for me. While I stayed at 3 different WDW hotels, it was caused by Circumstances that were not time of the year or weather related.

While I stayed the Yacht and Beach club, it was caused by the hotel that was mentioned in the contest. The best way to put it is if you had a chance to win a WDW trip with with a lot of free stuff, you wouldn't care what WDW hotel you would staying at. The free stuff I am talking about is free airfare, free transportation from Airport to Yacht and Beach Club, free food, free hotel stay, and free park admission.

I stayed at Caribbean Beach once, but It was caused by how late we were for looking at booking for a trip and settled with Caribbean beach as a result. It was 5 month away, but the hotel we wanted to go to had room closed due to refurbishment and it seems like that a huge group of people that already the rooms book. That huge group I am talking is was Pop Warner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LdyApxr

Original Poster
Nope, not for me. While I stayed at 3 different WDW hotels, it was caused by Circumstances that were not time of the year or weather related.

While I stayed the Yacht and Beach club, it was caused by the hotel that was mentioned in the contest. The best way to put it is if you had a chance to win a WDW trip with with a lot of free stuff, you wouldn't care what WDW hotel you would staying at. The free stuff I am talking about is free airfare, free transportation from Airport to Yacht and Beach Club, free food, free hotel stay, and free park admission.

I stayed at Caribbean Beach once, but It was caused by how late we were for looking at booking for a trip and settled with Caribbean beach as a result. It was 5 month away, but the hotel we wanted to go to had room closed due to refurbishment and it seems like that a huge group of people that already the rooms book. That huge group I am talking is was Pop Warner.
If you are talking about a trip you won, I am SO jealous! LOL Our plans are subject to change if a discount comes up that does not apply to the room we booked and our travel agent knows this but we are hoping to stay at the two places we mentioned. Since this is our first trip and probably the only one my husband will be going on(he's not a Disney "fan" but indulges us occasionally. LOL) we are kind of splurging.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We take into account weather, try staying away from heavy rain season and extreme hot, humid time of year. We avoid peak crowd weeks, and times when certain groups might be at WDW..... :rolleyes: But none of these factor into where we book our stay. We've settled into POFQ because we like the feel of the resort, the usual lack of wild kids, the quaintness of the place and past enjoyment weve had staying there.
Hopefully your DH will find something about Disney that excites him and he will rethink making this a one time trip. Book a tour or arrange some things you think he might get thrilled by. Even if its something off site that will cause him to want to revisit the Orlando area. Book a few ADR's precisely to match his dining tastes. Sometimes being crafty can break down the anti-Disney walls.

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

Original Poster
We take into account weather, try staying away from heavy rain season and extreme hot, humid time of year. We avoid peak crowd weeks, and times when certain groups might be at WDW..... :rolleyes: But none of these factor into where we book our stay. We've settled into POFQ because we like the feel of the resort, the usual lack of wild kids, the quaintness of the place and past enjoyment weve had staying there.
Hopefully your DH will find something about Disney that excites him and he will rethink making this a one time trip. Book a tour or arrange some things you think he might get thrilled by. Even if its something off site that will cause him to want to revisit the Orlando area. Book a few ADR's precisely to match his dining tastes. Sometimes being crafty can break down the anti-Disney walls.
Thanks! Yeah, he's ok with the occasional trip but nowhere near the Disneyphile I am. Even getting him to DLR(since we live in NorCal) is a discussion but once we get there and relax by the pool and ride a few of his fave rides(ToT, CA Screamin', Soarin')I always hear "This was a good idea...." LOL The kids and I laugh about it and it is a family joke. I chalk it up to him being older when our son was born(45) and a lifelong bachelor with no strong family ties, so essentially he is still in the learning phase with our now 17yr old son and our 26yr old son and at 62, he isn't getting any quicker on the learning curve. LOL I do love him so we just work around Grumpy whenever we have to. I've roped him into more than one DLR vacation(and three times on major Holidays such as Christmas and Easter!) so this won't be a struggle but for the second trip, I am pretty sure he will be staying home and babysitting our 5 dogs. Two times in one year is great for me but for him it might be pushing it.

I brought up doing Kennedy Space Center since he is a NASA nut(grew up in the 60's, we have a 5ft tall Saturn V and Apollo rocket model in our house) but that is really something only he would be interested in and since we are flying in and staying on property, he doesn't want to rent a car or public transit to go. Which actually might be a good thing because we were lucky to get him home after a work trip to TX resulted in a trip to Mission Control. I got a pic on my phone and told my sons "Dad may not be coming home...." and they saw the pic and cracked up.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Too bad he doesnt want to do Kennedy space Center. I'm a NASA nut too. The tours are well, well, worth the cost and time to get there. ;) Get him to look up the KSC site and he will drool over the Launch Experience and other things available to him. It's a dont miss for anyone that grew up in the 60's and watched the astronaut program develop.

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

Original Poster
Too bad he doesnt want to do Kennedy space Center. I'm a NASA nut too. The tours are well, well, worth the cost and time to get there. ;) Get him to look up the KSC site and he will drool over the Launch Experience and other things available to him. It's a dont miss for anyone that grew up in the 60's and watched the astronaut program develop.

Oh he would like to do it but he is also of the "I did Mission Control because I was on a work trip and did not have to pay for it" kind of person if you get my drift? LOL I won't call him a tightwad, but I will say he thinks he can take it with him.... ;)

But I am the "it's only money" kind of person so I balance him pretty well... LOL I like the space program but since I was born in 69, I missed all the really good stuff with the exception of the couple of disasters we have had since then.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
When I read your title, "Does Time of Year Influence Where To Stay" I was thinking seasons, not weather...so my answer is a resounding YES:

WL during the holiday season for its amazing decorations and warm lodge ambiance
Poly during spring/summer for pool lounging, frozen drinks and the escapism the tropical feel provides
POFQ during the fall/winter when most of our time is spent in the parks (no mid-day break needed due to cooler temps & lower crowds) and we want to save $$

In 15 days we'll be relaxing at the Poly :happy: In 136 days we'll be enjoy Christmas cheer at WL :joyfull:
Christmas at WDW is the only time the theming and all that feel fake to me. I just never "buy it." I can't get into that holiday spirit when it's 83 outside.

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I don't think it's really weather that determines it. More about what's going on in the parks. May for me is a Dolphin or Swan stay because the draw is SW Weekends (plus Epcot is my favorite park). October would be more a Contemporary or Poly stay for MNSSHP. Those Resorts also provide relatively easy access(quick monorail transfer) to Epcot for F&W. November would be back at Dolphin or Swan for F&W, Osbourne Lights.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Christmas at WDW is the only time the theming and all that feel fake to me. I just never "buy it." I can't get into that holiday spirit when it's 83 outside.
It's not always 83 in December. When we went in 2010 the wind chill in the mornings had temps in the teens and the highs were in the 30s. It was colder in Disney than at home.

The past few years the average daytime temp during our December visits has been low 60s.

If you find holiday decor in FL "fake" (which many FL residents would disagree with you) than you should not plan a WDW vacation in November or December.

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

Original Poster

I hear ya' on that one! It looks pretty but since Christmas stuff goes up in stores before Halloween is over, I am not a huge Christmas fan. Halloween is my time! We have actually done Christmas in DLR 2 times. Once in 97 and once in 2006. 2006 was because we sold our house and had two weeks in a hotel before our new house was ready so I said "Hey, we have to be in a hotel anyway....." and he bought it! LOL We did Easter one year by accident because we were going to San Diego to pick up his track bike we bought from a friend and it was our anniversary so we picked up the bike and spent a week at Paradise Pier with our two sons and a family friend. We didn't realize it was actually Easter day until we had checked in. LOL Dang, we also did Memorial Day weekend in 2013 and that was packed plus it was full of grad night people and we missed my niece by one day... LOL No wonder he doesn't jump on the Disneywagon with me, I keep foisting holidays on him!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Suffering through the Maine winters for many years.....endless ice, snow, cold :banghead:.... with my DW hearing me bi@#h about it :devilish:......spending an 83 degree Christmas at WDW.... is all the spirit I need. I'll take the fake snow all day long. :D:D:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom