Disneyland through the eyes of a Disneyworld veteran

Figments Friend

Good points about DL's version. I do love that final drop, even if it seems like I'll be launched right out of the boat! It's funny you say that about liking DL's soundtrack better, because I'm the complete opposite. WDW's has so much twang and groove in it, I can't help but jam out like a total dork drifting past the birdhouses.

Ha ha....well you are not alone in 'dorking out' as you drift along during that stretch!
I do the same thing at Disneyland's 'Splash Mountain'.
Also usually sing along with all the alternative song lyrics too, there....but of course try to reign myself in when Guests are around.
I like both soundtracks....but the bouncy, yet slightly jazzy start to the melodies at DL's version really appeals to me.

It took me a while to realize both Attractions had very different soundtracks.
Until a few years ago, i had always just assumed they were the same until i started listening to the full on-ride audio scores at home.
Gotta love the internet....and generous fans who openly share things....
;)

Figments Friend

After riding the DL Splash, I was honestly surprised that it ever got cloned around the world. The animatronics don't look like the animated characters, because they're reused from America Sings. I didn't like the extra speed at DL; it felt like you were going too fast to take in the dark ride scenes. There's also the weird mushrooms?

Oh those 'shrooms are why it's called the 'Laughin' Place'....right..?
What i always assumed....especially with all the 'black lights' used in that area.....
;)

I agree regarding the speed. You really do whip by the Show scenes rather quickly...too quickly for my tastes.
I can understand them slowing the pace down for the 2nd version in Florida though, as there is much more to take in there as you float by.
The DL Original has much smaller scenes, and in several cases less impressive.
The quick passage makes sense as then Guests cannot linger too long and see any possible shortcomings.
It 'fits' that particular set up.

One of those 'shortcomings' is how different the AAs are of the three main characters.
The 'originals' at DL of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox in particular leave a bit to be desired appearance wise.
The versions present in WDW's version look far more like the characters, and slightly larger too.
Just one of the many differences that make both versions worth experiencing.
:)

Bairstow

Oh those 'shrooms are why it's called the 'Laughin' Place'....right..?
What i always assumed....especially with all the 'black lights' used in that area.....
;)

I agree regarding the speed. You really do whip by the Show scenes rather quickly...too quickly for my tastes.
I can understand them slowing the pace down for the 2nd version in Florida though, as there is much more to take in there as you float by.
The DL Original has much smaller scenes, and in several cases less impressive.
The quick passage makes sense as then Guests cannot linger too long and see any possible shortcomings.
It 'fits' that particular set up.

One of those 'shortcomings' is how different the AAs are of the three main characters.
The 'originals' at DL of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox in particular leave a bit to be desired appearance wise.
The versions present in WDW's version look far more like the characters, and slightly larger too.
Just one of the many differences that make both versions worth experiencing.
:)

It probably depends on how recently they've had their refurbs, but one thing I noticed this year is that the Brer Fox animatronics at Florida are able to flap their mouths open and closed fast enough to sync with his fast-paced dialogue, and the California figures cannot. It sounds like a nitpick, but having a figure's mouth properly synced to its voice is probably the single most important requirement for an AA to be pleasing to look at.

The bluegrass music used in the Florida version is far more fitting, too.

Good reading here, though you might want to skip down a bit to where she talks specifically about the different versions of the rides: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/05/song-of-south-disneys-loaded-gun.html

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
WDWs is definitely a richer experience, but it's placement in Frontierland has always bugged me.

At DL, I do like the faster drop and the two scenes at the base of the lift with the mother rabbit and opposum.

Overall though, the best Splash Mountain is half way around the world in Japan.

UofMGuy423

Good reading here, though you might want to skip down a bit to where she talks specifically about the different versions of the rides: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/05/song-of-south-disneys-loaded-gun.html

Great blog post, thanks for sharing. Very interesting read, never realized the timing of the 1986 re-release with the DL Splash and that the later WDW version may have been compensating for a now banned Song of the South. Interesting theory and explains the differences in the two rides that makes sense.

dweezil78

I agree in regards to the lack of seat belts/lap bars in Splash. Just doesn't seem right to not have some sort of safety restraint. It's the main reason I'm not eager to ride it again (I've only been on once).

Ah, it's not that bad! There are bars to hold onto along the sides of the logs (see below.) Also, what's kind of crazy to me, is that pre-2005 there weren't even any seat backs (which you can also kinda hang on to) in the logs! Was just one empty log and you pretty much sat between the legs of the person in back of you with no back support.
splash_log.jpg

Californian Elitist

Ah, it's not that bad! There are bars to hold onto along the sides of the logs (see below.) Also, what's kind of crazy to me, is that pre-2005 there weren't even any seat backs (which you can also kinda hang on to) in the logs! Was just one empty log and you pretty much sat between the legs of the person in back of you with no back support.
splash_log.jpg

I don't want side bars to grab, I want a lap bar lol. I don't like Splash Mountain. I do like passing through Splash on the Railroad, however.

Haymarket2008

I recently went to Disneyland and went on their Splash Mountain and was incredibly disappointed. That was probably the only true negative about the ride comparisons. They are two totally different rides. WDW's is phenomenal and amazing whereas DL's is something I don't care to ride. Everything about it is lacking in comparison to its east coast version.

JediMasterMatt

Everyone does realize that the log flume attraction has been around since the 1960's and has never "needed" a restraint system? Only when the giant wave versions started coming online they began to be added to this type of attraction. The restraints on those rides (giant wave - like Jurassic Park River Adventure) are there primarily to keep your upper body restrained from hitting the front of the ride vehicle as BIG SPLASH = rapid deceleration.

Basic log flumes, like Splash on both coasts, don't need any restraint system to keep passengers secure. Neither ride produces enough force to do any harm if guests are within the ride vehicle envelope. (A lot of roller-coasters fit this category as well and even some with negative-g forces don't produce enough force to move someone out of the RV as long as they are in the proper riding position)

The restraint system on MK's Splash was added not because of the need for safety from anything the ride would do to a passenger. They were added for the stupidity of guests trying to get out of the RVs while the ride was 101 or backed up and entering the show scenes.

Actually, within the amusement industry - adding non-rider controlled restraints to a water ride is not a preferred solution. In the event of something catastrophic happening, like an RV beginning to take on water or flipping, engineers prefer the occupant to have the ability to get out of the RV.

Unfortunately, with Splash - the restraints were added a few years ago to keep the common RV backup from becoming a 101 needing a reset when a guest decided to get out.

Here's hoping DL's Splash's RV's stay the same as they've always been. *Just brighten up those show scenes please.

Mouse Trap

Thoughts on Indiana Jones, Carsland, the night shows at Disneyland?

Ha! I have to chime in on this one. Just for some background I've lived in Orlando my whole life and you can find me at WDW at least 2-3 times a month. A few months ago we flew out to Cali and decided to head to Anaheim to give DL a try. Long story short: We're going back in January for a week.

Indiana Jones just went through a pretty nice refurb when I rode. If you asked me to guess I would tell you the ride is about 10 years old at most. When I found out the ride debuted in 1995 my jaw dropped. Let that speak for the quality of rides at DL compared to WDW. Thankfully WDW is getting a nice overhaul soon.

Carsland is outstanding, purely amazing. I've been to Diagon Alley, I've been to Wizarding world and they too are amazing. But I have never once stood in awe at the incredible detail of themed area as I did with Carsland. The rock work and landscape is beautiful and realistic. I hope Avatarland comes with the same level of detail and ingenuity because if they give it the time they gave Carsland, it's going to be incredible.

I wasn't a fan of World of Color, but thats just me. It's a cool concept, but I don't like how the show is setup plus I prefer some more story and action. I'll be skipping it on my next trip. Fantasmic is wonderful at DL. Fully detailed dragon and pirate ship battle...enough said. The dining package was totally worth it and I'll certainly be spending the money on that again. I missed the fireworks and was not there for any 60th shows so I'll have to catch that on my next trip.

Kramerica

Original Poster

So Indiana Jones. It's funny because I had really high expectations for this ride. And I intentionally didn't watch or read ANYTHING about it because I wanted it to be a completely new experience, which, by the way I would highly recommend Disney newcomers to do the same. I know you're excited. I know you wanna feed your excitement with videos and explanations of rides. But experiencing an attraction for the first time knowing nothing. It's awesome.

So I did the single rider line for this. I think stand by was around 60 minutes. I was able to get on in maybe ten. And it's funny because you can totally tell how when this ride was built, the concept of the single rider line wasn't created yet. They sent me in through the exit line. Like a fish swimming upstream. Through two elevators. And finally to the ride. So. I have to say. I loved it. it had such an epic feel to it. riding across that bridge over flames. Ah man. I wish Disney would do more of this. Comparing it to Dinosaur where you can tell that they just use a series of tunnels and hallways that they dress up. I highly prefer using that space, knocking down the walls and making one huge room that you can play out an entire scene in. I loved this ride. exceeded all expectations.

Carsland though. I'm still shocked about that land. I'm not a fan of the movies. Actually it's the only Pixar movie that I'm not in love with. But the theming. The food. The rides. The atmosphere. It's amazing. Incredible. You always hear good things. But until you're there you won't understand. It's a place I really enjoyed just walking around. I ate at V8 cafe a couple of times. I had the Coca Cola ribs one night. Very good. Totally worth the very reasonable price. And I had Mickey waffles with bacon and fruit for breakfast there. Nice, light, cheap breakfast. I also ate at a few of the cones. The churros were such a fun snack. And the cheesy garlic bread thing (not sure what it was called) was almost hilariously fun. And very filling for the price. All rides were awesome. Even the small kiddie ones. And Radiator springs speaks for itself. I'm sure you've all read enough about that.

The night shows. I'll start off by saying that I didn't get to watch the fireworks. The night that I was going to they were cancelled due to high winds. I'm going to see them next time for sure. World of Color was very good. I got a Fastpass for it and showed up maybe a half hour before the show, thinking I'd be good. But honestly I feel like I might of been better off just in the general audience areas. While it was an optimal view, it was so crowded and you might not even be able to see if you're not a tall person. The show itself is as fantastic as any other Disney night show. I was impressed. I love the nostalgic feel of it. With videos of Walt himself spread throughout, which I'm a big sucker for. But it also stays very up to date. Almost weirdly so. They had clips from the new Star Wars movie trailers. But all in all. Loved World of Color.

PrincessJenn5795

I actually prefer the DL version of Splash. After the DL version the WDW version is so boring and tame. Even though the heights are the same, the drop at WDW does not feel as steep or as fast, and is nowhere near as exciting. It doesn't help that all 4 times I have ridden Splash at WDW it has broken down. In ride comparisons I think the one ride WDW did way better on is the Haunted Mansion.

George Lucas on a Bench

I didn't like Cars Land initially for a variety of reasons. I care **** all about Cars, it was mega crowded (this was 2012), the rides were whatever (even RSR--I still don't love it, although it's fun). But then I started to linger in there, drank a Racer 5, soaked in the ambiance, watched the lights turn on. It's pretty awesome. It's grown on me.

George Lucas on a Bench

I was a WDW veteran before DL and I had a fairly disastrous first experience at DLR. It was unseasonably super hot in November, it was ultra crowded, Haunted was the HMH (ugh!), Indy was closed, "small world" was closed, Fantasyland was closed (!) for filming...it was pretty terrible aside from Pirates. But when I able to truly experience it, I realized how right the people who put it together got it and how wrong they got it with WDW.

At WDW, there is so much wasted space. Huge open areas of concrete, a park like Hollywood/MGM-Studios which has like nothing in it and shouldn't be charging full price, present-day Epcot which is like 50% total crap (AKA Future World) and a Magic Kingdom that is comparatively lacking in attractions. Plus, horrible transportation between the parks, which are too spread out in that swampland. At Disneyland, they struggled to add on to the park due to a lack of space and it turned out all the better for it. It's basically perfect, regardless of Tomorrowland.

dweezil78

I recently went to Disneyland and went on their Splash Mountain and was incredibly disappointed. That was probably the only true negative about the ride comparisons. They are two totally different rides. WDW's is phenomenal and amazing whereas DL's is something I don't care to ride. Everything about it is lacking in comparison to its east coast version.

It always baffles me to hear this! Honestly, I think it's our old-school (and definitely not nearly as comfortable) flume logs that throws everyone off. If you put the WDW logs in the DL Splash Mountain (impossible I know due to our narrower flume), I feel like there'd be far less of this type of review. The show scenes in WDW's are a little more elaborate as well, but really, I think if you add up all the differences aside from the logs the differences are marginal at best -- at least to the point where someone could say one is "phenomenal" and the other is something you "don't care to ride."

George Lucas on a Bench

No, WDW's has a different soundtrack, a slower more POTC-esque ride (DL's is more fast-paced) with better storytelling, more elaborate scenes and various effects that are not in the DL version. They're very different.

dweezil78

No, WDW's has a different soundtrack, a slower more POTC-esque ride (DL's is more fast-paced) with better storytelling, more elaborate scenes and various effects that are not in the DL version. They're very different.

Hey look... I'm not saying WDW's doesn't have an edge for all these reasons. But very different? Phenomenal vs. meh? C'mon... Splash Mountain is still Splash Mountain even if one is done a bit better. Also, length-wise we're only talking the difference of 10 min vs. 9 min.

They are both great rides worthy of long waits, but thankfully there's always single rider if you don't want to wait. Wait... what's that?? No single rider for WDW??? Ohhhhhhhhhhh snap. :D

Stevek

Having been to Disney World only 3 times, I may not be the best source on this but here's my thoughts.

At WDW, I immediately felt immersed from the time I got off the plane and onto the Magical Express. Once you are in the bubble, you really can't help but feel you are swimming in a giant pool of Disney. Four Parks, some fantastic hotels to visit even if you aren't staying, water parks, mini golf and Downtown Disney. We really didn't have any desire to leave property. It's absolutely fantastic and exhausting at the same time. So much to see, so much to do, that we felt guilty taking any type of a rest. For us, it wasn't a vacation like say Hawaii, where we'd spend far more time on a beach. As for the rides...some better, some worse. I actually love that there are some noticeable differences between resorts.

Disneyland Resort...I don't get the same "immersed" feeling because you never really feel like you're in that bubble....and probably because I worked in Anaheim about a mile north for 14 years and grew so familiar with the surrounding area. But once I walk through that gate...I'm home. The compactness, the history, the personality that oozes from every crevice screams Disney like nothing else. Disneyland will always be an incredibly special place to me and my family.

Last edited:

Stevek

Indiana Jones - Probably in my top 3 rides at the resort and my wife's favorite. An absolute must ride any and every time.

Carsland - Incredibly immersive with one fantastic ride in Racers. What they did with the rockwork and the overall immersion you feel as you walk into Radiator Springs makes me incredibly optimistic about the environment they'll be able to create for Star Wars

Night Shows - Not a big fan of the new WOC, thought the original version and holiday version are both better. Paint the night is amazeballs while Disneyland Forever (not really about Disneyland FYI) uses some great projections along Main Street, IASW, Matterhorn and the castle...but I think Remember, Dreams come True was better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom