Nineteen Eighty-Four Competition Arena

spacemt354

Chili's
movie-poster-jpg.104325

Synopsis:
Following the first ascent of Mount Everest in 1953, a group of explorers destined to reach the top are warned by a small Nepal village on their journey about the dangers of the Forbidden Mountain. Regardless of the warning, Jack Davidson (Gerard Butler) leads his team of mountaineers on a vertical ascent up the peak. Caught in torrential storms and struggling for survival, the group soon realizes that they are not the only inhabitants of the mountain...

Director - Alfonso Cuaron - director of my favorite Harry Potter film and with Gravity (even though I thought it was overrated) , has shown that he can handle a wide variety of films with a box-office cast involved.
Cinematography - Wally Pfister - the reason why Christopher Nolan's films look so good, is because Mr. Pfister is a really sharp cinematographer.
Music - Thomas Bergersen - His type of vibe is what I'm going for the tone of the film

My thought was the theme of the film would sound something like this song above, with a touch more of Asian flare

Main Cast:
Jack Davidson - Gerard Butler - the main protagonist and leader of the Davidson Expedition of Mt. Everest. A little strong-headed, he often tries to control the team which can facilitate harrowing situations. He has a sister Emilia, who sometimes takes control of the expeditions, much to Jack's chagrin.

Mitch Carrow - Daniel Craig - Jack's long-time best friend and a skilled climber, Mitch has climbed every mountain except Everest. Mitch is also aware of a presence on the mountain, of a beast, as he and another climber ( who died at the hands of the beast) have witnessed the carnage it can bring.

Emilia Davidson - Charlize Theron - Jack's younger sister. Another skilled climber and explorer, Emilia understands routes better than anyone and can climb at extraordinary rates. She often argues with her brother.

Dr. Dom Jefferies - Idris Elba - The team''s mobile doctor and equipment manager. Usually staying behind at base camp, Dr. Jefferies fears what is up in the mountain.

Raj Shah - Madan Krishna Shrestha - a Shaman in a village of Nepal who warns the Davidson Expedition of the trecherous terrain on the mountain, and of a beast who lives inside it.

Ron Fields - Ben Kingsley - a feeble man who turns out to be Mitch's climbing partner, trapped in a shelter on the mountain as he escape the clutches of "the Yeti" as he calls it, and has been afraid to leave ever since.

Plot:

In 1954, the Davidson Expedition lands in a small airport near Nepal, as the team, consisting of Jack Davidson, Mitch Carrow, Emilia Davidson, and Dr. Dom Jefferies attempt to climb to the peak of Mount Everest. Their travels take them to a quaint Nepal town, where a Shaman, Raj Shah, tells the team of the terrors that await on the mountain. They sleep in the town that night. Jack, ambitious to climb to the top, tries to convince the team to go despite the Shaman's warnings. Mitch looks up at the mountain side and reluctantly agrees to go, as does Emilia and Dr. Jefferies.

They begin the trek up to the top and set up a base camp for the night. Dr. Jefferies has a nightmare that night of a horrifying beast entering their camp, but wakes up before anything happens. The next day the visions still haunt Dr. Jefferies the next day as the climbers ascend, and he accidentally lets a rope slip and tumbles down. Jack lets out a scream, but causes an avalanche in the process. With the team scattered, they now have to fend for themselves to try and reach back to base and find Dr. Jefferies.

Mitch ends up finding Jefferies and brings him to base camp, where a thunderous noise is hear. A beast is seen out of the corner of Mitch's eye and he spins around to duck away from it. He tries to hide Jefferies in a small cave on the side of the mountain, and right before the beast reaches them, Emilia causes a distraction which sends the beast away. The team ends up regrouping and has an argument about whether to continue, with everyone by Jack agreeing that it isn't worth it to continue. Emilia takes Jefferies back to the small Nepal town and reluctantly Mitch follows Jack to fix the base camp on the side of the mountain. Jack tells a story that he needs to climb this mountain, because all his childhood and as a climber he was put down, bullied, told that he was always at the bottom. Now we wants to be at the highest point in the world. Mitch tells him that there are safer ways to redeem yourself, but Jack is determined.

Emilia rejoins Jack and Mitch the next day, as she explains that Dr. Jefferies will be sitting out the trek. The three continue the jounrey up the mountain when they hit a snowstorm and are forced to find shelter. The wind and swell of snow almost make Jack slip off the cliff, but but a feeble man with a long beard saves him. The man ends up being Ron Fields, an old climber and friend of Mitch, who Mitch thought was dead at the hands of the beast. The Yeti, as its called, is a very powerful being and Ron is afraid to leave after all these years.

The next day Mitch and the rest of the team say goodbye to Ron, who still wants to remain by himself. They continue the trek up the mountain. Seeing another storm on the horizon, Mitch decides that they should rest for the night, but Jack is persistent on getting to a higher spot, that way they will be able to reach the top the following day. As the snow starts to fall, Jack reaches the top and notices red eyes gleaming out of a cave. The Yeti stands up and charges after the team. Nearby, an old tea train is sitting idle and the team jumps in and starts the train down the tracks. But the yeti cuts them off and breaks the tracks in have and catches the train car they are in. Somehow Jack is about to escape the train car and lights a flare next to the Yeti, distracting him. Mitch sprays lighter fluid into the Yeti's eyes, as it trips into the flare. The team runs away but reaches a dead end. The only way down at this point is up. The begin the ascent up to the peak of the mountain. Exhausted and fatigued and traveling at dusk, the team uses every last breath they have as the top is almost there.

Meanwhile, the Shaman in the town is mediating and senses that the team is in danger. Through a psychokinetic power, the Shaman appears before the team, telling them that that the peak of the mountain is momentary and doesn't last long. They should abort and find shelter before they are consumed by the Yeti. The team sees the vision and decides to abort to a nearby cave for the night.

Here's the late night Shyamalan twist:p...

Suddenly, Mitch wakes up at base camp of Mount Everest. He is seen with Jack Davidson, and the rest of their team waking up in the Nepal town and preparing to start the climb to the peak of Mount Everest that day. Jack, ambitious to climb to the top, tries to convince the team to go despite the Shaman's warning. Mitch looks up at the mountain and ponders the decision.

Cut to Black

Hopefully you enjoyed it!:) This was just for fun, and since I really like films in general this was too good of a challenge to pass up;) Thanks everyone!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Houseguests, we have the results. Once the vote is revealed the evicted houseguest must gather their belongings, say their goodbyes, and walk out the front door. Good luck to you both...

By a vote of five to two...

@Basketbuddy101

You are safe.

I'm sorry @brinneydee, you have been evicted from the Nineteen Eighty-Four house. And thus closes out week two. The Head of Household competition for week three will be posted momentarily.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
The following houseguests will be competing in this week's Head of Household competition

@Basketbuddy101
@Flippin'Flounder
@gilm0114
@DisneyManOne
@Brer Panther
@ToInfinityAndBeyond
@IDInstitute
@mickeyfan5534

As outgoing Head of Household, @GMR710 is ineligible to compete.

Week Three Head of Household Competition
The Extinct Attractions Club

PirateShip7-63.jpg

This week, houseguests will be tasked to design a revamped version of a Disney Parks attraction of their choice that currently resides in the realms of Yesterland. How closely this experience follows the original is entirely up to you. You can make an homage following the original's themes but having a different story, you can attach an IP to an extinct attraction in the same style as Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage, or you can stick close to the scenes and structure of the original attraction. How this revived attraction is executed is entirely up to you. This attraction can be in any Disney Park you wish. Good luck houseguests. This project is due Thursday, August 6th at 10:00 PM Eastern.

DisneyManOne

"This week, houseguests will be tasked to design a revamped version of a Disney Parks attraction of their choice that currently resides in the realms of Yesterland. How closely this experience follows the original is entirely up to you. You can make an homage following the original's themes but having a different story, you can attach an IP to an extinct attraction in the same style as Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage, or you can stick close to the scenes and structure of the original attraction. How this revived attraction is executed is entirely up to you. This attraction can be in any Disney Park you wish."

Why did I bold the part I bolded? Well, that's because that's the style I'm going with for this challenge. Welcome to...

Challenge 3: The Extinct Attractions Club
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
1amuralParis.jpg
Snow White's Scary Adventures is one of Disney's most iconic dark rides--and for good reason. With its Gothic design, it's legitimately scary moments and overall Disney charm, Snow White is an all-time favorite. Although the ride can still be found in California, Tokyo and Paris, the Florida version was sadly closed down in 2012. Why? Because as part of the New Fantasyland expansion, a new ride based on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs--namely, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train--was being built. Snow White's Scary Adventures would later turn into the Princess Fairytale Hall meet & greet.

But, I say this classic deserves to stay here at Walt Disney World, but bigger and better than ever! How will I pull this off? Well, come with me as we journey back deep into the dark forests for an all-new experience with an all-new name: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ride's new location will be, of all places, Sunset Boulevard at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Why? Because my basic idea going into this is that Snow White premiered at the Carthay Circle Theatre, which is represented on Sunset Boulevard as the facade of the Once Upon a Time shop. And in a park celebrating Walt's historic film-making achievements, I think it'd only be necessary to have a little something honoring the film that put him on the Hollywood map.
once-upon-a-time-00.jpg
But however, given the space of the average dark ride, this means that the Sunset Club Couture, Mouse About Town and Once Upon a Time shops will be closed to make way for the new ride.

As guests walk down Sunset Boulevard, they are greeted by the new impressive facade of the Carthay Circle Theater, done in a style similar to the one at Disney California Adventure.

car023498LARGE.jpg
The theater is decked out as it was on that fateful day--December 21st, 1937--when Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs made its Hollywood debut.
fa_231_zolapremier970.jpg
The theater is very elegant, not giving a single clue as to what lies inside...

Ride-Through

Once inside the theater, we find ourselves not in an extravagant theater lobby, but instead, the film's iconic forest, bloomed in imaginative three dimensions. The atmosphere seemd only peaceful, harmonious, enchanting and inviting – promising a grand fairytale adventure with elegance. On the right hand side of this peaceful fairytale forest atmosphere, an ingeniously realized waterfall splashes happily with shiny vibrating strings portraying the water. Next to the waterfall is the Seven Dwarfs' Diamond Mine "entrance" – although it was the actual exit of the ride vehicles. In the middle of the forest is a three-dimensional miniature of the Seven Dwarfs' Cottage.

At the left hand side, near the loading area is the Evil Queen's Castle, emerging from murals into impressive three dimensions as the Castle Courtyard. Winding through the queue, we eventually reach the stretch of land located in front of the cottage, finding a parade of mine cars pulling in and out, loading and unloading happy (or not-so-happy passengers). Each mine car sits a maximum of six people and bares the name of one of the dwarfs. Boarding a mine car ourselves we are given a quick safety spiel by an unseen hag. "For a safe adventure, please remain seated, keeping your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the mine car, and please do watch your children. And remember, smoking and flash photography are never permitted in this enchanted world, hee hee hee! Farewell!" With her cackles behind us, our car pulls forward into the forest, the three-dimensional trees seamlessly emerging from the beautifully-painted wall mural behind it.

Heading towards the Evil Queen's Castle, we make a loop around the Wishing Well. As we pass by, we hear Snow White sing "I'm Wishing", dreaming about "the one I love". The same song was heard at this Castle Courtyard area, echoing even to the queue area. Much like before, the version you hear is the same version heard in The Mickey Mouse Revue (heard in the video from 0:41 to 1:24).

After the vehicle circles the Wishing Well, it drives towards the miniature of the Seven Dwarfs' Cottage, makes a u-turn and approaches the Castle Courtyard itself. Under the golden sun, Snow White sits on the stairs in her scullery maid garment and holding a white dove. The singing of "I'm Wishing" is a bit more louder, to feel as if she's singing it. Behind wonderfully stylized flower bushes, the Prince, sitting atop his white horse, watches her. Behind Snow White and the Prince, the remaining courtyard is lit with dramatic blue, as the Evil Queen stands behind a window and spies upon the Princess.
wdw_prologue.jpg
From there, we make a sharp left and enter the Castle itself. Inside, we come face to face with the Slave in the Magic Mirror through a simple but impressive projection effect. The exquisitely painted set featured the Magic Mirror in its 1937 movie appearance, with the ornamental stone frame with signs of the zodiac around the mirror. Inside, the Mirror's Slave reveals: "Alas, Snow White is the Fairest One of All".

"Never!" yells a voice behind the vehicle. It's the voice of the Queen! We make a sharp turn to our right and find ourselves in the Queen's Throne Room. standing in front of her mirror, arms in the air, summoning the dark powers: "Magic Mirror on the wall..." Suddenly, the Queen turns around with a thundering sound effect – revealing that she has transformed into a wart-nosed old hag before our very eyes! As the Witch, she continued: "With this disguise, I'll fool them all! Heh heh!"
7434868574_20354237a4_z.jpg
Suspenseful music, taken from the film, and the distant sound of howling wind and howling wolves welcome us to the narrow corridors of her Dungeon, ghostly voices telling us to turn back. Countless skeletons pop up in the dungeons, some hanging from chains on the walls, others simply fallen to the floor. Perhaps the most iconic of these skeletons (from a memorable moment in the film) is a skeleton trapped beneath iron bars, reaching for a nearby pail of water, having died doing so. We turn towards a archway leading to the relative safety of the outside world set in a blue night sky with glistening stars. Our escape is foiled - the Hag has summoned a large portcullis to come crashing down, blocking our path. Suddenly, on the door, we see the silhouette of the Queen drink from a goblet, and we see her figure slowly morph into an Old Hag. We turn right into the Queen's laboratory. Whirring gizmos and bubbling potions on either side of the track illuminate the Hag dipping a skull-faced apple into a green-glowing cauldron, taunting us..."Apple deary?" Her cackle follows us as barely avoid being by falling equipment shelves and turn a sharp left outside of the Castle and into the Frightening Forest.
120501DisneyWorldMagicKingdom0138.jpg
No music is played here, just an eerie howling wind and the rustling noises of the forest. From out of nowhere the old Hag drifts out from underneath her Castle on a boat, the apple in one hand, a makeshift oar in the other. "Fresh apple...tasty apple!" The trees suddenly take on the appearances of monsters as their gnarling teeth, red eyes, and gnarled branches reach for us, intimidating eyes staring down at us from the treetops, alligator-resembling logs snapping at us, bats flying through the darkness.
2881595252_ba1976158d_b.jpg
Much like Tokyo, this ride's version of the Frightening Forest scene creates truly spooky yet elegant ambience with very few sound effects. The most significant sound of these is the eerily ethereal "banshee wail" that was created for Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Now there is music, adding on to the suspenseful theme. The Huntsman stands before a tree up ahead, speaking to a screaming Snow White a few feet away. "Quick! Run away! And never come back!" Snow White screams as we cross through some more trees and into a miniature briar patch, where logs that look like alligators come towards us. In the darkness, ominous eyes glow, but as we turn away, we find out that the eyes are those of the kind-hearted woodland creatures, who point the way to the Seven Dwarfs' Mine.

Inside we are immediately immersed into a glistening grotto filled with dazzling jewels and diamonds embedded into the walls, stacked into piles, and stocking lonesome mine cars. The dwarfs appear hard at work, singing "Dig-a-Dig-Dig" diligently. Grumpy and Bashful have their backs turned, picking away into the cavern walls, Sleepy asleep in a deer-pulled mine car, the deer very angry at his lazy rider. Making a left we pass by a small shaft opening in which Happy and Sneezy emerge on a handcar very slowly. Sneezy suddenly gathers up a sneeze and creates a rather powerful sneeze, sending the handcar flying forward. Doc and Dopey appear surveying diamonds to our right. Although Doc takes his work seriously, Dopey sees it as a game, holding the diamonds up to his eyes and instantly causing thousands of his eyes to be projected throughout the mine in a stunning effect, taking them down and removing the projections, putting them again and restoring the projections.

article-2618689-1D85D76700000578-303_634x443.jpg
Another mine shaft door moves aside for us, allowing us access into the forest at sunset. We find ourselves about to go under a log spanning a canyon, a miniature waterfall near our path. As we pass under, we see the Seven Dwarfs actually march atop the log, singing "Heigh-Ho".
original.0
We pass under the log and make a right turn. True enchantment may have fill the hearts of some travelers, as the Seven Dwarfs' Cottage emerges from the serene forest ambience. Inside the cottage, the Seven Dwarfs made merry music and singing a "Silly Song". Immediately inside the dwarfs can be seen dancing about, singing, playing miniature instruments, and having an all-together good time with Snow White who waltzes about the room gleefully with Dopey standing on Sneezy's shoulders wearing an over-sized jacket. The woodland creatures have also gotten in on the fun, watching from the windows.
13941143039_658532aa34_b.jpg
The fun is cut short however when we exit the cottage (through the ride's many "crash doors")...

The near second we exit the Cottage we are immediately greeted by the Hag who lurks outside a window, clutching the apple, her raven perched on her free hand. "Go on deary...take a bite!" She cackles once more, our car making a sharp right back into the woods, passing by the Prince. "Snow White! Where are you?" The searching Prince is quickly left behind as we head back towards the Cottage, the dwarfs lining both sides of the track, each one warning us not to proceed, others shouting for Snow White to run. Making a left turn explains the shouting: Snow White appears inside the Cottage, popping out of the front half of an opened door, ready to bite into the apple. The Hag stands close by with a big ole' grin, "That's right deary! Take a bite!" Thunder and lightning crash, sending us straight back into the Mysterious Woods. As we enter the Hag can be heard shouting “Now I'm the fairest in the land!” Two mean-eyed vultures watch us pass, their heads moving in perfect unison as they follow our every move.

Thunder rumbles above the hills as we hear the Dwarfs' commotion with Doc's flustered voice: “It's the Quicked Ween—the Wicked Queen! Come on men!” We pass through some trees to find ourselves at the Stormy Mountain, where the Dwarfs are seen on a nearby cliff, scared.

2011jppc7.jpg
Why are they scared? I don’t know, maybe because…the Witch is about to crush them (and us) with a boulder! Rain falls heavily (and even seems to run down the side of the cliff). The Witch is seen, ready to dislodge the boulder. “Fools! I’ll crush your bones!” she yells. She laughs wildly, only to lose her footing and fall backwards, screaming in horror (her scream taken directly from the film), a burst of fog and light occurring (this hides the figure which falls backwards into a hole, raising back up for the next vehicle seconds later).

We pass under the mountain and find ourselves back in the forest. A moving choral rendition of “Someday My Prince Will Come” fills our ears, cuing the ride's Finale. Directly before us lies Snow White in her opened glass coffin, the now peaceful forest surrounding us via colorful murals, a beautiful sunset at hand. Our ride vehicle (using silent brakes) slows down a bit and we actually witness the Prince kissing Snow White awake.

frame_wdwkiss.jpg
Turning right we see six of the dwarfs bidding Snow White and her Prince goodbye as they ride away towards the Castle in the Clouds (the couple, horse and Dwarfs are figures, the castle is part of a mural.) Dopey on the other hand waves in the opposite direction - classic Dopey - waving down to us and wiggling his ears from a top an overhead bridge.
5514817814_53ac091f0f_b.jpg
A set of painted doors showcasing a beautiful sunset on the horizon. The doors move apart and we wheel back into the loading area, exiting our mine car.

Ride Statistics
Name: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Location: Sunset Boulevard, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World
Ideal Opening Date: December 21st, 2017
Vehicle: Mine cart
Riders per vehicle: Six to seven
Ride length: 4 and a half minutes, at most
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brer Panther

Well, here's my project...

WDW_poster01.jpg

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
I never got to go on the original version of the Magic Kingdom’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. However, it seemed to me like a good candidate for a now-extinct Disney attraction to bring back. In particular, I saw EPCOT’s Seas With Nemo and Friends Pavilion as a good spot for it. In my plans, the attraction replaces the pavilion’s dark ride. Whether or not the characters from Finding Nemo will be removed from the rest of the pavilion, I don’t know. This new version of the attraction also takes inspiration from the version still operating at Tokyo DisneySea.

nemoseas10.jpg

The first section of the queue remains mainly unchanged. However, the attraction’s load area now sits where the second section of the queue was. The OmniMover tracks have been replaced by an overhead track similar to the one used over at Peter Pan’s Flight. The new load area resembles a dock, backed by a mural that makes it seem as though you’re in front of an ocean. The small, four-person submarines resemble a cross between the ride vehicles of Tokyo’s version and the Nautiluses from the Magic Kingdom version. The four seats in the submarines face the side of the attraction that the “Clam-Mobiles” from the Seas With Nemo and Friends face now. On that side of the submarine are two sliding doors that guests use to enter the sub. We are held in place by seatbelts.

Once all four passengers have strapped in, the sub takes on. The unseen Captain Nemo pipes in; he will be our guide for the voyage. Where the former attraction’s loading area once was sits a room designed to simulate our submarine going underwater. In front of us is a screen that shows rushing water in front of us as the captain shouts, “DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!”

From there, we enter a coral reef environment. Little lobsters scurry around on the ground. High above them, a large manta ray floats past us. Projected fish can also be in swimming around us.

maxresdefault.jpg

From there, however, the trip takes a turn for the worse. Where once Nemo swam around laughing is the Graveyard of Lost Ships, anchored by a shipwreck guarded by growling sharks. Fortunately, the sharks don’t notice us… The jellyfish (a holdover from the previous attraction) do, as does a large giant squid (replacing the anglerfish) that tries to grab us with its many tentacles.

IMG_0508.jpg

Escaping the giant squid, Captain Nemo tells us that we’ve somehow wound up in the South Pole. The water chills as large polar ice caps can be seen below the surface. And then the submarines go a bit farther down and enter the Abyss, where many strange and rather creepy-looking types of sea life hide. This scene replaces Bruce’s sunken submarine.

Fortunately, a goofy sea serpent appears to save us just as the Abyss-dwellers close in on us. Scuba-divers, sea turtles, and even a few mermaids also appear during this scene, which replaces the East Australian Current.

seaserpent.jpg

From there, the submarines of course get a look at the aquarium tanks that the pavilion is famous for. This scene remains unchanged from the former attraction, albeit minus Nemo and friends.
Up goes the submarine back to the surface, and we finally arrive in the unload area, where we disembark and head off to enjoy the rest of the pavilion.

Ride Statistics
Name: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Location: The Seas With Nemo and Friends pavilion, EPCOT, Walt Disney World
Number of Passengers Per Vehicle: Four to five
Ride Length: 2 to 3 minutes at most

DinoInstitute

HoH Challenge 3: The Extinct Attractions Club
@IDInstitute's Submission

This challenge required us to take a currently extinct Disney attraction, and re-birth it back into any Disney park with a rebooted version. It could be through playing homage to the original with a different story, bringing it back with an IP attached to it, or keeping it more or less the same. I decided to go with the final option of keeping the same structure. Presenting the return of....

SUPERSTAR LIMO!

Heheh :p

Just kidding of course! In reality, I choose the Discovery River Cruise as my extinct attraction to return to Disney Animal Kingdom.

image.jpg

When first given this challenge, I definitely wasn't thinking, "Oh yes, how that ride needs to return!". DRC certainly wasn't a huge E-Ticket that Disney fans (like myself) mourn over the loss of, like Horizons, Mr Toad, and many other classics. But trying to bring them back for nostalgia reasons just wouldn't happen, I knew I had to be realistic, do something that made a lot of sense, which made this challenge pretty interesting.

Just yesterday I was in DAK as some of you might know, and that's where I got my inspiration for this challenge. It's not that I felt they needed this experience to tie the whole park together or anything like that, but rather felt that it just made sense. The thing is, DAK only has 6 rides. Granted, it is a relatively young park, plus DHS has even less, but still that really isn't a good number to give a complete day experience. While this one ride returning won't solve the problem, this park could use some more to do (especially with it staying open 2-3 hours later soon).

image.jpg

image.jpg

When considering bringing back extinct attractions, the number one thing you have to consider is why it closed down in the first place. I did a little research, and the biggest thing I found is capacity problems. It was meant as a form of transportation (much like the ferries in Epcots WS) but instead people just saw it as a ride (most likely due to there being only 2 rides at opening...), and the queues overflowed immensely. When people got on the boats though, they expected a lot more from it than what it was, and left guests thoroughly disappointed. They tried a few gimmicks to help it out (most notoriously the Radio Disney refurb), but nothing really worked. It eventually closed down on August 21st, 1999, about 18 months after opening.

It will be different this time around however. With there being more attractions in the mix, more boats in circulation, as well as expanded docks (see map below), the queues will not overflow so much.
While this will be more entertaining that the previous edition, it still won't really be a true "ride", and thus will not offer Fastpass+ (another thing that will probably help queues btw).

Map
kasyc.png

Unlike many other extinct attractions, this one will be relatively cheap to return (You know how much the board is gonna love that!). They don't have to build the docks/boats completely from scratch, and there aren't any huge set pieces or scenes that will take a lot of work.

image.jpg

image.jpg

While it won't be too exciting, it definitely won't just be a boring boat ride. As the boat goes by the different lands, props and set pieces will be added in to give something to look at. For example, alongside the DinoLand coast, fossils, bones, and miscellaneous plant life can be seen, or near Africa, the impoverished Port Harambe theme will be carried out. In the picture below is a themed waterfall on Discovery Island from the original edition.

image.jpg

The new Discovery River Cruise will open mid 2016, giving time to prepare set pieces, boats, etc., as well as for Rivers of Light construction to complete. In addition, because of RoL, the boats will not stay open until park closing with the rest of the attractions. This ride obviously can't go on during the show as it uses the same space, so it will close one hour prior to RoL (presumably 9:00 EST, though still unconfirmed, so let's just say at 8 they close), giving time for workers to prepare for the show.

image.jpg

RoL Concept Art

Thank you all for reading, this was a fun challenge to think about and work on! Have an adventurous day!​

mickeyfan5534

This week, houseguests will be tasked to design a revamped version of a Disney Parks attraction of their choice that currently resides in the realms of Yesterland.
The basic meaning of attraction is anything that attracts guests, which is why I'd like to take a different route than my colleagues to create a new parade for Disneyland based on the former Hong Kong Disneyland parade, Disney on Parade.

Take a trip to join Mickey Mouse and all his friends as we take a look at the magic of Disney on Parade!
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland and Mickey Mouse now invite you to celebrate the magic as we proudly present
Disney on Parade

Celebrate the magic, celebrate the fun
Celebrate as we go by in the blink of an eye
It's only just begun!
Celebrate the music and all the songs that we've sung
Let's celebrate, we're feeling great!
Disney on Parade!
Into a world of magic where you
Find every thing that you need to
Where you can soar and fly and tumble
through the sky
It's only just begun!
Disney on Parade!
Just around the riverbend you can find
a whole new world
and you'll see the light
for the first time in forever
Celebrate the journey and all the laughter we made
Disney on Parade!

Unit 1: Celebrate the Magic
hong-kong-disneyland-parade.jpg

A group of dancers lead the parade as a large float with the parade's name rolls down the street, with what looks like pixie dust trailing behind and starting the magic, periodically sparkling with lights. Following this is the Disneyland Band playing along with the music.

Unit 2: Animagic
Celebrate the magic, celebrate the dreams
Celebrate Disney's dream in majesty
As it starts to come alive!
Celebrate with Mickey, Minnie and Donald too
Disney on Parade
Hooray for Hollywood!
That screwey ballybooey Hollywood!
Where any office boy or young mechanic can be a panic
With just a good looking pan
And any barmaid can be a star maid
If she dances with or without a fan
Hooray for Hollywood,
Where you're terrific if you're even good
Where anyone at all from Shirley Temple to Aimee Semple
Is equally understood
Go out and try your luck, you might be Donald Duck

Chip and Dale laugh
Hooray for Hollywood
Chip: Oh the cows and the chickens
Dale: They all sound like the dickens
Chip and Dale: When we hear that little Minnie's Yoo-Hoo
Celebrate the music and all the times that we soared
Disney on Parade

HKDL_325___DOP_Artist_Float_Chip_and_Dale.jpg

A group of dancers dressed as animators come down next, followed by a studio float carrying Chip and Dale on either side as they draw a cartoon. In the center of the float is a giant flipbook showing Mickey Mouse dancing.

Unit 3: Silly Symphonies

Celebrate with all you friends it never ends
As we come along!
Celebrate the comedy, because the fun never ends
Let's celebrate, we're feeling great
Disney on Parade
Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
*Music from Flowers and Trees plays*
The Big Bad Wolf? The Big Bad Wolf?
*Music from The Old Mill plays*
Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
Tra-la-la-la-la
Celebrate the symphony, and the music it's made
Disney on Parade
pub

More dancers come by as the Silly Symphonies float comes down. First is a recreation of the old mill. Then, animatronic flowers and trees dancing. Finally, the Three Little Pigs in the brick house face off against the Big Bad Wolf.

Unit 4: Royalty

Celebrate as true love reigns with gentle strains
And happily ever after more
Celebrate the romance, as two hearts become one
Disney on Parade
Someday my prince will come (A dream is a wish your heart makes)
Though he's far away I'll find my love someday (When you're fast asleep)
The dream that you wish will come true
I know you (Where could we walk where could we run)
I've walked with you once upon a dream (if we could stay all day in the sun)
You'll love me at once the way you did once upon a dream
Just you and me and I can be
Part of your world (Tale as old as time)
Song as old rhyme (A whole new world)
Beauty and the beast (now that I'm way up here it's crystal clear)
Let me share this whole new world with you
And I last I see the light
And it's like the fog has lifted
And at last I see the light
And it's like the sky is new
And it's warm and real and bright
And the world has somehow shifted
All at once, everything looks different
Now that I see you

parade_princess_1.jpg

In front of a grand ballroom, couples dance away as Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, and Rapunzel dance with their princes.

Unit 5: Wonderlands
celebrate the fun and more and we jump up on tour
For wonderlands to find
Celebrate the whimsy, and all the lands we create
Disney on Parade
Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh
Chubby little cubby all stuffed with fluffies
Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh
Willy Nilly Silly old bear
Alice in Wonderland
How do you get to Wonderland
Over the hill or underland
Or just behind the tree
A very merry unbirthday to you
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious
if you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Celebrate the wonder, and all the land it creates
Disney on Parade

pub

Winnie the Pooh's friends come down the street as we see Pooh in a honey tree trying to get a smackerel of honey. We then see Alice and all the denizens of Wonderland having tea, followed by Mary Poppins and Bert having a Jolly Holiday in Bert's chalk painting

Unit 6: Classics
celebrate as snow comes down and circus comes into town
And puppets come to life
Celebrate the heroes and evil forces they've fought
Disney on Parade
Casey Junior comin' down the track
Comin' down the track (I've got no strings)
to hold me down to make me fret or me frown
*Dance of the Hours plays*
*Night on Bald Mountain plays*
For the first time in forever (let it go let it go)
For the first time in forever
I won't be alone
Celebrate the classics, and all the things that they've made
Disney on Parade

pub

The penultimate float is the longest in the parade, comprising six segments. First is Casey Jr. with an animatronic Dumbo on top who waves his ears in greeting. Then we see a giant Geppeto controlling Pinocchio. Following that is characters from Fantasia on a multi-tiered platform with a small waterfall. Then Chernabog hovers over the crowd with villains surrounding him. Finally, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf are on a spinning platform covered in ice

Unit 7: Finale
It's only just begun!
Disney on Parade
When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to...
Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
If your heart is in your dreams
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true
Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da
Zip-A-Dee-A
Wonderful feeling
Wonderful day
Celebrate the journey and all the laughter we made
Disney on Parade!

p1120226.jpg

Dancers coming down the street reveal a grand castle float with Mickey and Minnie on top and Donald, Daisy, Goofy, and Pluto at the the bottom. A random assortment of characters who were not in the parade surround the float.

Celebrate the Magic
Celebrate the Fun
Celebrate!
Disney
On
Parade!
Thank you for joining us in Disney on Parade. May you enjoy the rest of your day at Disneyland and may you always celebrate the magic!

And that is Disney on Parade. A grand calvacade of Disney stars. Thank you.

Last edited:

Basketbuddy101

Adventure Thru Macro Space
Presented by Delta Airlines

Adventure Thru Macro Space (ATMS) is the name of a new omnimover-based dark ride located at EPCOT’s Future World area. Seasoned Disneyland guests who remember the classic Adventure Thru Innerspace attraction will be pleased to see that this attraction will preserve its legacy, serving as a continuation of the original attraction’s story. The attraction will require serious reconstruction of the original Wonders of life Pavilion, including the removal of the dome, gutting of the interior, expansion of the existing show building, and landscaping. The Wonders of Life Pavilion has a footprint that is too large to waste on mere special events, and thus, the best way to put the ‘future’ back in ‘Future World” is to bring back tangible, large-scale attractions that hearken back to the existence of WED Enterprises.

Story:

Several decades ago, a shrinking experiment was conducted by distinguished men of science. The experiment’s success, while narrow, prompted the government to invest in shrinking and enlarging technologies, and thus, the Macroscopic Research and Observation Division (MROD) was founded. Since its founding, MROD successfully shrank several biological and non-biological subjects, subsequently returning them to normal size. Today, however, MROD is ready to break new ground by enlarging beyond earthly measure. Guests will make a fabulous journey into “Macro Space,” and instead of shrinking to the size of a snowflake, they will magnify past the Milky Way galaxy itself and several times over again.

Attraction Exterior:

Gone are the bright pink, yellow, and teal colors of the Wonders of Life Pavilion, replaced by a glossy white and black color scheme. Guests are welcomed by a sleek entrance arch reading ‘Macroscopic Research and Observation Division.’ As guests make their way through the trail, they notice that the old helix structure is seemingly gone for good. Sharp-eyed guests, however, might still catch a glimpse of the structure among the rock formations, ‘shrunken’ to the size of about 6 inches. After navigating through the familiar winding trail, guests look up at the attraction’s large-scale façade, its futurist design vaguely inspired by the style of the original Adventure Thru Innerspace attraction.

The attraction’s marquee looms over guests near the top-center of the building, along with the attraction’s sponsor, Delta Airlines, below it. Easily the best part of the exterior, however, is the iconic ‘Mighty Microscope’ display, which sits just outside the building for guests to see. This faithful reconstruction is truly a blast from the past, sculpted to scale and, according to the attraction’s lore, the same Mighty Microscope used in the 1967 shrinking experiment.

Attraction Queue

Guests are led through a series of winding corridors that stand along the edges of what would’ve been the Wonders of Life dome. The corridors are meant to look like offices, strange sounds bouncing off the walls from the inside. Like the original Adventure Thru Inner Space, the queue is not very expansive so as to retain the utmost of space for the attraction itself. Guests arrive at a moderately sized hangar of sorts, where the attraction’s omnipresent narrator speaks over a PA system.

“Attention, attention. Welcome to the Macroscopic Research and Observation Division. Nothing can prepare you for the journey ahead, for none have been so bold as to make the journey before you. Nevertheless, we can assure you that your journey to Macrospace, or outer space as you probably know it, will be a safe and successful one thanks to advances in space survival technologies such as our patented force field technology, an invisible protective and oxygen-supporting veil that stands between you and the unforgiving conditions of space. Guests watch as other guests board navy blue omnimovers. The familiar vehicles travel into a strange, futuristic space shuttle of some kind, a faint red glow permeating through its sleek body. Guests board the familiar vehicle, which winds along the outer edge of the room and into the shuttle and into near-darkness.

The Journey Begins

“Our elders called them ‘Atommobiles,’ an amusing name to say the least, but hardly appropriate. We retain the name only for tradition’s sake. We’ve mapped out a safe course for you, and with that, your adventure to the unexplored realms of the universe, to macrospace, will begin. This shuttle will transport you past the earth’s atmosphere and into a magnification route, where you may expand without threatening any of the neighboring planets. This time-consuming journey will be greatly reduced by your session of hyper sleep. You must now prepare your body and mind as you begin to pierce the very fabric of normal MAGNIFICATION…MAGNIFICATION…MAGNIFICATION…MAGNIFICATION…

Leaving Earth

The sound echoes all around. Guests see and hear nothing for a few moments, implying the passing of time. Suddenly, the vehicle emerges from the darkness and into the massive vacuum known as space. Guests feel a strong wave of air as they see the “shuttle” disappear into darkness. Guests find themselves in a sea of fiber optic lights resembling stars. A massive model of the earth is seen spinning below, the moon glowing gracefully in the distance, along with a moderately-sized sun model. Subtle shooting star projections fly on the walls as tiny meteorite models spin playfully before guests. The narrator makes contact.

“A beautiful sight, our home planet Earth, but miniscule in the grand scheme of the universe. You are approaching the first magnification route, and will soon reach the size of the sun itself. Perhaps even your friends back home may catch a glimpse of you at this size.”

Sun Encounter

Guests exit the first show room and enter the next, where they have apparently grown large enough to measure up to the sun. Guests feel a wave of warm air as they approach the sun, the other planets, including Jupiter, spiraling around it on hidden mechanisms. Special fiber optic effects send waves of “fire” at guests, sparking like firecrackers. With the use of a hidden fan, brightly lit red and orange fabric simulates “flares” that whip back and forth.

“The sun is an awesome sphere of hot gas, most of it hydrogen. Were it not for your force field, you would meet a fiery end at its hands. Magnification route in range.”

The Local Group

Guests expand yet again as the vehicle enters the next show scene. The sun is no longer visible; guests see only two large galaxies: the Milky Way and its neighbor, Andromeda. This show scene utilizes large, painted, swirling discs on hidden mechanisms. The discs are lit by black light, and spin gracefully before guests.

“The local group, a sight never before seen by the naked eye. Witness the beauty of our galaxy and the spectacular luminescence of our neighbor, Andromeda. The galaxies before you are but two of several smaller galaxies, and yet despite the seemingly-colossal size of this local group… an even greater sight quickly approaches.

The Virgo Supercluster:

The vehicles swim smoothly into darkness as guests continue to enlarge. At this point, the attraction resembles the original Adventure Thru Innerspace, as guests are sent into a seemingly-endless world of interconnected, web-like figures. This show scene will utilize large-scale projection screens to simulate a venture across the infinite landscape.

“Yes, of course, the Virgo Supercluster, a network of galaxies as far as your eyes can see. Each galaxy contains billions of suns. You are so infinitely large that even light itself is slowing before you…but how? Nothing can travel faster than light, or so science has told us. Be wary; yet another magnification route.”

The Cosmos:

The vehicle travels into a large blacklit show scene utilizing hand-painted mattes and fiber optics. Guests are met with a massive pool of bright pink, orange, and blue colors, all of which glow and swirl with the use of simple mapping effects.

“The cosmos, a network of 100 billion galaxies. Perhaps to the naked eye, it appears as little more than a spectacular collection of colors and motion. This awesome territory is…dangerous. We…we must return to our home galaxy before we are conquered by the perils of macrospace. Go back…go back. Go back…go back…back…back [the sound fades away].”

The Black Hole:

The vehicles are sent into darkness. Strong gusts of wind blow from all directions as guests find themselves amidst what appears to be a black hole. With the help of hidden fans and carefully-colored black fabric, guests feel the sensations of being thrust into a hole of absolute chaos. The voice of the narrator is nonexistent as the vehicles travel upward through a thin, ascending tunnel-like show room. After reaching the top of the tunnel, the vehicles dip into the final scene in the attraction

The Bubble Ocean (Finale)

The vehicle enters an endless ocean of large, translucent bubbles. Inside the bubbles are tiny universes amongst themselves, all of them spinning slowly from within. Sharp-eyed guests may notice a moving eye peering at guests from one of the bubbles, a homage to the eye from the original Adventure Thru Inner Space.

“Yes, if you’re wondering, that was a black hole indeed. We may have lost contact with you, but you narrowly escaped by enlarging once more. Now behold the wonders of the universe on the largest scale imaginable: the Bubble Ocean, a collection of universes in their own right, but we cannot venture on, for although we can certainly push the limits of space, we dare not push the limits of the mind. Brace yourselves for hyper sleep as we prepare a shrinking route back to our home galaxy.”

The Return:

The vehicles slip into darkness for one last time. All traces of sound fade away as guests “sleep” during the return to the Milky Way Galaxy. Seconds later, the vehicles travel through a cloud of fog as guests find themselves back in the familiar loading and unloading room.

“This has been the first of many future exciting trips to Macro Space in a never-ending search for answers in this vast universe. We hope that wherever your journeys take you on earth, you fly to new destinations on the ‘World’s Most Trusted Airline: Delta.”

As guests disembark their Atommobile, they travel down a long exit hallway, where a newly-composed rendition of the Sherman Brother’s classic song, “Miracles From Molecules,” plays on the ceiling speakers. The new rendition is modern yet faithful, composed by Michael Giacchino. Guests exit the building and find themselves back to the entrance and near the Mighty Microscope.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom