Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

Bairstow

I haven't been to Disneyland in over 3 years and wanted information on Radiator Springs Racers. Is the fast pass distribution still the same as when it opened, being located near bugs land? Are the fast pass lines still just as bad? Need to line up 30 minutes prior to open and the line can take an hour just to get a fastpass? I'm staying at the Disneyland Hotel, if I get in for a Magic Moring through the GC entrance is this the best way to enter or should I use the main gate to be closer to the line? Since it would be a Magic morning do I have time to ride a few rides before I get in the fast pass line (I assume they won't even let me in the line until the park opens). Would I have time to ride RSR before the park opens then get a fast pass for RSR? A lot of questions but just looking for ways to cut down on waits for this so that I can get this done and enjoy other things.

Yep, it's just as bad as it's been for the last couple years.
When the park opens, if you don't head straight for the machines you can pretty well count on the day's passes being exhausted.
We hit the Racers queue right after opening on a Monday morning and still had about a 30 minute wait to ride.

Honestly, you're much better off just forgoing the entire thing and using the single rider queue. That way you're looking at usually no more than 10 minutes tops.
Even if you're with other people, the odds are almost even that you'll be seated with someone you know, in a pilot/bombardier configuration.

Your fastpass availability is better used to get onto California Screamin' or Grizzly River.

Mawg

When we were there almost two weeks ago they didn't have you line up - everyone just waited for that section of the park to be opened and it was a free-for-all rush. The Fastpass distribution is still in the same place - about half the people waiting went in that direction while the rest went straight to standby for RSR. It didn't take long at all to get Fastpasses - it moved very quickly. We grabbed our Fastpasses, stood in line about 20 minutes to ride standby, went back and rode it single rider, then used our Fastpasses since our window opened up.

Not sure how the queue situation would work for a Magic Morning situation though - ours was a regular morning entry.

Thank you I may try the same. I'd still like to hear from someone on how it works on a Magic Morning and how bad the standby line gets.

Mawg

Yep, it's just as bad as it's been for the last couple years.
When the park opens, if you don't head straight for the machines you can pretty well count on the day's passes being exhausted.
We hit the Racers queue right after opening on a Monday morning and still had about a 30 minute wait to ride.

Honestly, you're much better off just forgoing the entire thing and using the single rider queue. That way you're looking at usually no more than 10 minutes tops.
Even if you're with other people, the odds are almost even that you'll be seated with someone you know, in a pilot/bombardier configuration.

Your fastpass availability is better used to get onto California Screamin' or Grizzly River.

With a family a 4, 2 adults, 2 children 6 and 9, the standby line doesn't work. But, I agree with you under other circumstances.

TuffyCatt

Another question for you all - thoughts on best ways to get from LAX to the resort area? We're staying at Best Western Park Place. I saw Super Shuttle recommended a few pages back, but other reviews I've read indicate that it can be a little hit or miss (long wait times, etc.). I have experience using the unofficial "Disney" shuttle 2 years ago, which worked fine. Just wanted to know what other people have used. Would just taking a cab (we're going to be 3 adults) be ridiculously expensive or a reasonable option? Our flight's going to be landing in LAX around 1 pm, and our goal is to get to Anaheim as efficiently as possible so that we perhaps can enjoy a little park time that night.

Kate Alan

Another question for you all - thoughts on best ways to get from LAX to the resort area? We're staying at Best Western Park Place. I saw Super Shuttle recommended a few pages back, but other reviews I've read indicate that it can be a little hit or miss (long wait times, etc.). I have experience using the unofficial "Disney" shuttle 2 years ago, which worked fine. Just wanted to know what other people have used. Would just taking a cab (we're going to be 3 adults) be ridiculously expensive or a reasonable option? Our flight's going to be landing in LAX around 1 pm, and our goal is to get to Anaheim as efficiently as possible so that we perhaps can enjoy a little park time that night.

We stayed at the same hotel and used Super Shuttle - we had a late morning arrival and knew we wouldn't get to the parks until early afternoon. We waited at most 10-15 minutes for pick up, and were the second group dropped off. They definitely worked for us, and the price was the cheapest we'd found by far.

If you don't mind paying more and care more about expediency they also offer a private car service - we used that for our departure as our flight was early in the morning and we wanted to eliminate any stress over the possibility of multiple pickups or delays. That ran us about 112 total with tip, which if you split the cost between adults isn't that bad.

TuffyCatt

We stayed at the same hotel and used Super Shuttle - we had a late morning arrival and knew we wouldn't get to the parks until early afternoon. We waited at most 10-15 minutes for pick up, and were the second group dropped off. They definitely worked for us, and the price was the cheapest we'd found by far.

If you don't mind paying more and care more about expediency they also offer a private car service - we used that for our departure as our flight was early in the morning and we wanted to eliminate any stress over the possibility of multiple pickups or delays. That ran us about 112 total with tip, which if you split the cost between adults isn't that bad.

Thank you, this was super helpful! :)

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I have a question. Might be going in late October will it be crowded?​

Yes, October is generally crowded as Halloween has become a very popular time of year for the parks. Weekdays are manageable but weekends can be nuts, plus there are Halloween parties on several nights.

HauntedMansionFLA

Since we get this ALL the time in this forum, I thought it would be nice to condense it into one place that the mods could make sticky - this stuff gets repeated ad naseum around here since the site caters to a WDW fanbase.

I'll start with this:

GiveMeTheMusic's INFALLIBLE List of Unique DLR Attractions/Shows PLUS Those Considered to be Superior to their WDW Counterparts!
(This list does not take into account international Disney resorts; it only lists attractions that are available in DLR and not at WDW)

Disneyland
Attractions
Main Street Vehicles
Disneyland Railroad featuring the Grand Canyon and Primeval World Dioramas
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Autopia
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Alice in Wonderland
Storybookland Canal Boats
Casey Jr. Circus Train
it's a small world/it's a small world Holiday
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Fantasy Faire and Royal Theater
Mickey's Toontown (in general)
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Big Thunder Ranch
Golden Horseshoe
Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
Sailing Ship Columbia
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
New Orleans Square (in general)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion/Haunted Mansion Holiday
Indiana Jones Adventure
Jungle Cruise

Entertainment
Paint the Night Parade
Fantasmic!
Disneyland Forever Fireworks Spectacular
Believe...In Holiday Magic (WILL NOT BE PERFORMED IN 2015)
Mickey's Soundsational Parade (plays mid Jan - mid Nov)
A Christmas Fantasy Parade (plays mid Nov - early Jan)
Mickey and the Magical Map

Disney California Adventure
Attractions
Cars Land (in general)
Radiator Springs Racers
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Buena Vista Street (in general)
Red Car Trolley
Monsters Inc: Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
Disney Animation (Sorcerer's Workshop)
a bug's land (kiddie rides)
Grizzly River Run
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
California Screamin'
Goofy's Sky School
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Golden Zephyr
Silly Symphony Swings

Entertainment
World of Color - Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney
World of Color - Winter Dreams (WILL NOT BE PERFORMED IN 2015)
Mad T Party
Pixar Play Parade
Aladdin

WDW Veterans FAQ!
Do I need to stay on-site? DLR's hotels are very expensive.

DLR is so compact that staying on-site is nowhere near necessary. There are dozens of reputable hotels within short walking distance to the park gates at a fraction of DLR resort prices.

Which airport should I fly into? There's like 12. And what about Magical Express?
The closest (and arguably nicest) airport to DLR is John Wayne International (SNA). About 20 minutes from the resort without traffic (LOL), it's the easiest choice. LAX is further but services more flights (and many hate LAX for how huge and unwieldy it is). Long Beach is another closer option, and is a very small airport. You could also fly into Ontario or Burbank. DLR does not offer Magical Express; but there is a separately operated bus line called Disneyland Express that is available from LAX and SNA. Of course, no one would recommend you come all the way to Los Angeles and JUST visit DLR - there are so many amazing things to see and do in Southern California, and DLR is just one of them. I recommend renting a car.

What about dining reservations? What do I need to book at the 180 day mark?
LOL. Nothing. DLR dining reservations are only available 60 days out, and are not a requirement like they are at WDW. If you want to eat at the Blue Bayou, a reservation is recommended to ensure availability. It's also wise to book World of Color and Fantasmic dining packages in advance.

I can't wait to get my MagicBand! What about Fastpass+?
Double LOL. No wristbands or Fastpass+ here, just traditional tickets and old school Fastpass.

I only have ONE day! Will the parks be crowded? Which rides should I go on?
If you're a WDW vet with one day at DLR, you need to make every moment count. The parks will probably be crowded to some degree - there is little to no off-season left on DLR's calendar; the parks are exceedingly popular. If you'll be park hopping, start your day with the most popular attraction - Radiator Springs Racers. Either nab a Fastpass, get in a short standby line or ride single rider. Decide which attractions are important to you in both parks, and hit them next. At Disneyland, the mountains and Indiana Jones Adventure are the most popular attractions and get the longest lines.

Anything I should know about Fastpass?
Yes! Your ticket can hold a Fastpass from each park at the same time! Also, Fantasmic! and World of Color Fastpasses are freebies!

Oooo, I want to see World of Color!
You should, it's amazing. If you don't book a dining package that includes show passes, you will need to get Fastpasses for the viewing area. They're distributed throughout the day at Grizzly River Run, but will run out on crowded days (especially during the holidays). Be sure to show up well before showtime if you want your pick of "seating", especially on crowded days.

I heard your Fantasmic has no seats! What are you, barbarians? I like to watch Fantasmic from the comfort of a rock hard metal bleacher.
The trade-off is a show that is unlike any other in the world, including the pale imitation at Disney's Hollywood Studios. You will have to stand, just like World of Color, unless you sit all the way down at the river's edge, where you will have to sit on the concrete.

Fantasmic! is now Fastpass-only reserved viewing, like World of Color. Fastpasses will be distributed from park opening to one hour before showtime (or until they run out) on the Big Thunder Trail in Frontierland. There will be some minimal viewing areas reserved for non-Fastpass guests.

Dining packages are also available that include Fantasmic! Fastpasses. They can be booked 30 days in advance on disneyland.com or by calling 714-781-DINE. They include three course meals at the Blue Bayou ($61/adult, $23/child) and River Belle Terrace ($41.99/adult, $21.99/child, table service only exclusively for Fantasmic! guests) and grab-and-go meals at Aladdin's Oasis ($19.99/adult, $13.99/child). All of these dining packages include Fantasmic! Fastpasses, with Blue Bayou and River Belle guests seated in the prime front and center sections.

Can I see the fireworks, Paint the Night and Fantasmic in the same night?
Absolutely, but not without some skill. If you see the first Fantasmic, you will be held in the Rivers of America area during the fireworks, which follow immediately. Disneyland's fireworks shows offer several effects that can only be viewed at Sleeping Beauty Castle, so you do miss out on some things (like Tinker Bell and Nemo) by not being in the Hub.

If you want to see all three shows in their full glory, start by watching Paint the Night in the hub. As soon as the parade passes, move to a great spot for the fireworks show on the Frontierland side of the Hub. As soon as the finale goes off, start lovingly shoving your way to Frontierland, and keep walking until you hit the rope by the Mark Twain dock. Cast Members will hold guests there until the Fantasmic area is clear, and then release you to go have your pick of spots for the 10:30pm show. Now, it is basically impossible to see World of Color, Paint the Night, Disneyland Forever and Fantasmic all in one night, at least from their optimal viewing areas, so don't even try.

I see that DLR offers a Dining Plan. Hooray!
Slow down there bucko. The DLR Dining Plan doesn't resemble WDW's in any way, and is a complete rip-off. You are given vouchers with a dollar value that can be spent at participating restaurants resortwide, and no change is given. You are GUARANTEED to LOSE money on the Dining Plan. Don't do it. Pay out of pocket and pretend you're visiting WDW pre-2005.

Does Disneyland offer the MyDisneyExperience app or Fastpass+ reservations?
No, at this time DLR still uses standard paper Fastpasses. There is an official iPhone app with wait times, but far more popular is the fan-made app MouseWait, available on Android as well. TouringPlans.com's Lines app is great, and available if you have a subscription with them. The following attractions offer Fastpass:

Disneyland
Space Mountain
Autopia
Star Tours
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain
Indiana Jones Adventure
Haunted Mansion/Haunted Mansion Holiday (peak periods only)
Fantasmic!

Disney California Adventure
Radiator Springs Racers
California Screamin'
Soarin' Over California
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
World of Color
Grizzly River Run
Goofy's Sky School

What? No Fastpass for Toy Story Midway Mania? HOW WILL I RIDE IT THOUGH?!
Toy Story Midway Mania isn't the headliner at DCA like it is at DHS, mainly because DCA has a very strong attraction roster and it's outshined (sorry DHS, it's not our fault you suck the big one). Fastpass isn't offered because wait times rarely exceed 45 minutes on busy days, and it's just not needed. That said, there is ALWAYS a line for this ride. I like to hit it just after getting Radiator Springs Racers Fastpasses first thing in the morning.

What's new at Disneyland Resort?
Cars Land and Buena Vista Street in DCA opened in June 2012, and still feel pretty new. In 2013, the Fantasy Faire princess area and Mickey and the Magical Map stage show premiered. A new Frozen sing-a-long show premiered in DCA December 20, 2014, putting Muppet*Vision 3D on an indefinite hiatus. Condor Flats has been rebuilt and rethemed as Grizzly Peak Airfield with crisp new digital projection for Soarin' Over California. Disneyland's 60th anniversary Diamond Celebration brings a slew of exciting new offerings, including the groundbreaking Disneyland Forever fireworks spectacular and Paint the Night parade. The Haunted Mansion has a new resident (the Hatbox Ghost), the Matterhorn has all-new Audio Animatronics and show scenes, as will Peter Pan's Flight when it reopens July 1.

I want to go during Disneyland's 60th anniversary diamond celebration!
Good! So does everyone else! The celebration is expected to last from May 22, 2015 - through early fall 2016, but the sooner the better!

I heard that there's a secret club in New Orleans Square. How do I get in?
You can't. Club 33 is a members only lounge and restaurant, and its entrance is what is formerly known as the Court of Angels in New Orleans Square. Only members or guests of a member are allowed in, so unless you know someone who can make that reservation, don't get any ideas.

What else should we add friends? @raven24 @TP2000
I didn't realize that DLR/DCA had a lot more to do than WDW. It would be nice to stay at an on site resort, walk to either park and back and have DTD right there. It's something we are looking into.

Cosmic Commando

I don't think DLR has more, but it's surprisingly competitive. The biggest benefit for a WDW vet, IMO, is the large amount of unique or improved things you'll find there. Everyone gets excited when something new opens up at WDW, but there's a whole resort full of new things they've never experienced before and nobody seems to notice.:confused:

TP2000

The attraction count between the coasts is neck and neck. The ride count swings in favor of Anaheim. But as we all know, an attraction is not necessarily a "ride". But even if you count "attractions", the two coasts are nearly equal.

And for those wondering, every World Showcase pavilion counts as at least one "attraction", even if it's just a themed courtyard of shops, snack bars and restaurants like Italy, Japan, Germany, Morocco, and the UK.

It's the major entertainment where the two resorts are alarmingly close, or where Anaheim pulls ahead with two fewer parks than WDW does. Take today's schedule for example, Tuesday August 4th, a typical busy summer day:

Walt Disney World
Magic Kingdom:
1 Festival of Fantasy Parade, 2 Main Street Electrical Parades, 1 Wishes fireworks spectacular
Epcot: No parades, 1 Illuminations water show
DAK: No parades, no night entertainment
DHS: No parades, 2 Fantasmic! water shows
Total: 2 different parades (3 performances), 2 different water shows (3 performances), 1 fireworks spectacular (1 performance) = 7 different performance options

Disneyland Resort
Disneyland:
1 Soundsational Parade, 2 Paint The Night Parades, 1 Disneyland Forever fireworks, 2 Fantasmic! water shows
DCA: 1 Pixar Play Parade, 2 World of Color water shows
Total: 3 different parades (4 performances), 2 different water shows (4 performances), 1 fireworks spectacular (1 performance) = 9 different performance options

You would think that since compared to Disneyland, WDW has double the number of theme parks, double the annual attendance, over ten times the number of hotel rooms and DVC, and all that acreage to work with that WDW would have at least double the amount of major entertainment. But instead, Disneyland Resort actually offers more shows with more performances than the entire WDW Resort does. That's just weird.

Last edited:

TP2000

I still can't believe that Disneyland is able to perform THREE different nighttime shows in one park, that just boggles my mind.

It shouldn't boggle the mind really, as they've been doing that basic format (with various parades filling in for the night parade) since 1992. That's almost 25 years of a 3 Spectaculars Per Night operation.

What should boggle the mind is that WDW's various theme parks, with all their land and space and facilities and massive built-in hotel audience staying on property, only bother with one or two (or none) night spectaculars per park. And some of those WDW night spectaculars are decades old and rather tired and creaky. I'm looking right at you Electrical Parade, and don't think I don't see you too Illuminations! And how's that old dragon on a stick going for you DHS Fantasmic!? :rolleyes:

Someone isn't getting their money's worth, and it's certainly not the Disneyland Resort visitors.

Bairstow

It shouldn't boggle the mind really, as they've been doing that basic format (with various parades filling in for the night parade) since 1992. That's almost 25 years of a 3 Spectaculars Per Night operation.

What should boggle the mind is that WDW's various theme parks, with all their land and space and facilities and massive built-in hotel audience staying on property, only bother with one or two (or none) night spectaculars per park. And some of those WDW night spectaculars are decades old and rather tired and creaky. I'm looking right at you Electrical Parade, and don't think I don't see you too Illuminations! And how's that old dragon on a stick going for you DHS Fantasmic!? :rolleyes:

You didn't even mention the Water Pageant.

TP2000

You didn't even mention the Water Pageant.

Yeah, that's a thing. And it's terribly charming, especially if you have a glass of wine in your hand on a Grand Floridian balcony.

But it's not something you see from inside any park. You have to exit the Magic Kingdom to see it, and be able to sit on a balcony or beach at the Contemporary, Poly or Grand Floridian to see it properly.

TuffyCatt

I don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but I'm trying desperately to avoid too many spoilers about Disneyland's new night time shows before my trip in a few weeks, so I want to steer clear of those specific threads (it's a challenge!). Anyway, my question is about the new fireworks. Any tips on the best place to stand to get a good view of pretty much everything? We may only have a single chance to see the fireworks, so I would like to make it a good viewing. As I understand it, there are projections down Mainstreet and on the Matterhorn - is there a particular spot that allows you to appreciate all the projections as well as the fireworks over the castle?

As always, thank you all! :)

Californian Elitist

I don't know if this is the right thread for this question, but I'm trying desperately to avoid too many spoilers about Disneyland's new night time shows before my trip in a few weeks, so I want to steer clear of those specific threads (it's a challenge!). Anyway, my question is about the new fireworks. Any tips on the best place to stand to get a good view of pretty much everything? We may only have a single chance to see the fireworks, so I would like to make it a good viewing. As I understand it, there are projections down Mainstreet and on the Matterhorn - is there a particular spot that allows you to appreciate all the projections as well as the fireworks over the castle?

There are also projections on small world, making Disneyland Forever the toughest DL firework show to see everything at once. Personally, I've seen it three times, and I've yet to see any Matterhorn or small world projections. I've viewed them near the face of the castle and twice towards the end of Main Street. Between those two spots, I definitely prefer the latter. There's so much more going on on Main Street, and if you have decent eyesight or wear prescription glasses, like I do, you can see a few of the projections on the castle. Trying to see the images on Matterhorn is pretty much impossible from the end of Main Street because there are so many trees blocking the view. You could try moving up to maybe the end of Main Street to catch a view of Matterhorn, but then you'll miss some of the Main Street projections and effects.

In saying all this, because there are projections on small world, there's no way you can see Disneyland Forever from every point of view one time. Just make the best of it. Hope you enjoy the show as much as we do.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster

Any spot on Main Street between Market House and Coke Corner will do, or you can camp out for prime viewing right in front of the castle.

TuffyCatt

Thank you @raven24 and @GiveMeTheMusic! We have dinner reservations at 5:30 the first day we arrive, so I'm hoping we'll be done with dinner in plenty of time to hop over to Disneyland for the fireworks. If so, that may give us the opportunity to see them a second time on one of our other nights.

@GiveMeTheMusic - when you say "prime viewing" in front of the castle, do you feel like standing right in front of the castle gives a good view of the projections? I'm used to castle fireworks shows where the castle is going to be the main focus, so that makes sense to me. It's the additional projections for this show that's making it a little tough for me to decide what location we should go for.

Thanks again, guys! You're the best! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom