Disneyland through the eyes of a Disneyworld veteran

Kramerica

Original Poster
So, I'm not feeling well today and feel like I want to type something at take my mind off of it. So I thought it might be interesting to share my feelings/ thoughts/ impressions on the Disneyland resort from the eyes of someone who's been going to just Disneyworld for the previous fifteen years or so.

It's odd that I was mostly a Disneyworld guy, seeing as I live in Portland, which is only a third the distance from Disneyland as it is from World. This is precisely why I started to think about going back to Anaheim. flying round trip to Orlando could easily cost 600 dollars and mean there's an entire day burned up just traveling. Anaheim on the other hand, it's 200 bucks round trip and takes two hours and change to get there. But flying in was the first big difference you notice between the two.

When you fly into Orlando, you realize that the airport is there in big part to Disneyworld. It's such a massive vacation destination that you get off the plane and are immediately greeted by, along with the overwhelming humidity, worn out vacation goers. Kids everywhere with newly purchased Mickey stuffed animals in hand. I feel like half the people walking through security still have their Magic Bands on. seriously, if you're ever in Orlando airport, pay attention to all the Magic Bands. I guess you just get so used to wearing them that you forget to take them off. Disney advertisements everywhere, even a Disney store right before security. So many flights full of excited Disney guests that there are Magical Express busses going back and fourth constantly. You realize this airport is essentially just a middle man between Disneyworld and the rest of the planet.

This is in contrast to Anaheim. I flew into the small Long Beach airport. Which I love by the way. But, here, you get off the plane, and it's a regular airport. People in business suits. Regular airport mood. I took a shuttle to my just off property hotel. I could go into how the hotel was, but I don't think people need a hotel review.

You really get more of a locals vibe from Disneyland. You still see the people who obviously flew in here. Families that are on vacation. But what I felt like you see more of is just regulars spending an evening at the park. Like they're just going to the movies rather than having a once in a lifetime vacation. This isn't a bad thing, though. Just different. I also felt a pride in Disneyland that you don't really see in Disneyworld. The cast members and guests at Disneyland perhaps have a feeling like this is "their park" and feel a sense of ownership and pride in it. I was impressed by Disneyworld's attention to detail and cleanliness. But holy moly. You Anaheim folks know how to keep the paint fresh. Maybe it's the fact that the grounds are so much smaller in comparison to Disneyworld, and therefore easier to maintain. But you'd think the park was built yesterday if you didn't know better.

I'll write more in a bit. I don't even know if there's a character limit here anyways.

Porkybabe101

So, I'm not feeling well today and feel like I want to type something at take my mind off of it. So I thought it might be interesting to share my feelings/ thoughts/ impressions on the Disneyland resort from the eyes of someone who's been going to just Disneyworld for the previous fifteen years or so.

It's odd that I was mostly a Disneyworld guy, seeing as I live in Portland, which is only a third the distance from Disneyland as it is from World. This is precisely why I started to think about going back to Anaheim. flying round trip to Orlando could easily cost 600 dollars and mean there's an entire day burned up just traveling. Anaheim on the other hand, it's 200 bucks round trip and takes two hours and change to get there. But flying in was the first big difference you notice between the two.

When you fly into Orlando, you realize that the airport is there in big part to Disneyworld. It's such a massive vacation destination that you get off the plane and are immediately greeted by, along with the overwhelming humidity, worn out vacation goers. Kids everywhere with newly purchased Mickey stuffed animals in hand. I feel like half the people walking through security still have their Magic Bands on. seriously, if you're ever in Orlando airport, pay attention to all the Magic Bands. I guess you just get so used to wearing them that you forget to take them off. Disney advertisements everywhere, even a Disney store right before security. So many flights full of excited Disney guests that there are Magical Express busses going back and fourth constantly. You realize this airport is essentially just a middle man between Disneyworld and the rest of the planet.

This is in contrast to Anaheim. I flew into the small Long Beach airport. Which I love by the way. But, here, you get off the plane, and it's a regular airport. People in business suits. Regular airport mood. I took a shuttle to my just off property hotel. I could go into how the hotel was, but I don't think people need a hotel review.

You really get more of a locals vibe from Disneyland. You still see the people who obviously flew in here. Families that are on vacation. But what I felt like you see more of is just regulars spending an evening at the park. Like they're just going to the movies rather than having a once in a lifetime vacation. This isn't a bad thing, though. Just different. I also felt a pride in Disneyland that you don't really see in Disneyworld. The cast members and guests at Disneyland perhaps have a feeling like this is "their park" and feel a sense of ownership and pride in it. I was impressed by Disneyworld's attention to detail and cleanliness. But holy moly. You Anaheim folks know how to keep the paint fresh. Maybe it's the fact that the grounds are so much smaller in comparison to Disneyworld, and therefore easier to maintain. But you'd think the park was built yesterday if you didn't know better.

I'll write more in a bit. I don't even know if there's a character limit here anyways.
Where's the rest lol?

Kramerica

Original Poster
Okay all, sorry about taking so long. Let's get back into it.

Disney world has Disneyland beat in the "Wow!" factor when compared to Disneyland. This isn't a bad thing for Disneyland. But you can just tell that, atlas when comparing the Magic Kingdom to Disneyland, the Disney company really took advantage of the space and the money that they had on hand when they built the Magic Kingdom. The castle is bigger. The whole park is, atleast simulated, to be on it's own island. The shops are bigger. Queues are sprawling and grand instead of compact and efficient. And that's only when talking about that specific park. The whole size of the Disney property in Disneyworld is staggering, and to be anything but amazed when you think about the sheer amount of work that is put into the grounds would be an inappropriate response. You drive on the highways through Disneyworld, seeing traffic signs with Mickey ears behind them. You see Disney busses everywhere you look. Spotlights shine in the sky. The whole Disney property in Disneyworld feels like a living breathing thing. And when you're there, you have no concept or connection to the outside world. And I love that. Disneyland in the other hand. It's a small hotbed of activity contained within the grounds, surrounded by urban sprawl in every direction. But quant isn't bad! As I mentioned before, this way the grounds can be perfectly maintained. Everything is within walking distance. It's not uncommon to see the same guests multiple times throughout your vacation (This happens at the world, too. But much more common in Anaheim)

The most obvious thing to me though. Disneyland is Walt's park. You can feel that he walked main street. He had input on it. And Disneyland, while isn't afraid to innovate and add, I feel like they refuse to lose the charm that Walt personally injected into this place. I dare you to walk down main street and not get chills. Or look at Walt's apartment above the fire department and not get choked up. Magical. Only word for it.

The cast members are very good at both as you'd expect. There's no real discernible difference in service to me. If anything, you see that Disneyland is filled by locals that are working there because they live there. Disney world on the other hand. Since it's an isolated area, you have the kids who uprooted their lives do go and do the college program. Some people seem to dislike the college program kid's level of service. I like it though. They might not be as knowledgable as the older cast members, but they all seem to eager and happy just to be living out their dream of moving to Disneyworld. But, if you're happy with the service in Disneyworld, you will be in Disneyland and vis versa.

One thing I noticed a lot more of is atmospheric elements that exist in Disneyland that isn't there in Disneyworld. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen the horse and buggy trotting down the streets of the Magic Kingdom. But it's almost always out and around in Disneyland. Or the double decker bus. Or the red trolleys in California Adventure. Which are fantastic, and you have to ride them if you're there! The gas lamps in Disneyland that aren't there in the world. The Disneyland band. All of these little things are just so amazing and totally absorb you in the experience.

Maybe it will be helpful and more tangible to directly compare different attractions and elements of the two, which I'll do on my next reply.

Kramerica

Original Poster
Typical disclaimer here. These comparisons in attractions are strictly just my opinion. And I haven't actually done any fact checking here. So If I get something wrong, sorry. please forgive me.

Big Thunder Mountain- Disneyland has this one, without a doubt. The ride feels longer. The effects are way better. The TNT tunnel is so incredible in Disneyland. The track layout feels like it's filled with more thrills. The Queue isn't as good in the Anaheim one, but this is sort of a common trend between the two parks.

Haunted Mansion- This has gotta be a tie. Disneyland is missing the staircase room. But has a couple of really spooky effective ghosts that are absent in Orlando. And I do love the loading area in Disneyland more. The paintings that change in the lightning effect that is usually on ride in Orlando is in the loading area in Anaheim. Really cool to be able to take your time to look at.

Space Mountain- For me, I prefer a smoother ride. So this might just come down to opinion. But to me, Disneyland has Disneyworld beat in every aspect. The track feels way longer. It feels way faster. The ride vehicles are more comfortable, can seat two people in a seat, have speakers built into the vehicles themselves. I feel like the effects are way better in Disneyland. Even the Queue is better in Anaheim to me.

It's a Small World- Feels like a tie to me. Not too much to say there. Sorry

Splash Mountain- The ride feels very similar to me. But I heavily prefer the logs in the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland are one seaters, and there's no sort of buckle or lap belt. Not very comfortable to me.

Pirates of the Caribbean- Disneylands got this one. It's longer, has entire sections that are completely absent in Orlando's. It was fantastic, I was so amazed.

If anyone can think of anything else you'd like my opinion or comparison on, I'd happily talk all day about it. But in an effort to not turn this into a wall of text or become redundant, I'll just wrap up.

Each destination has their plusses and minuses. And I will say that the "which one is better" is so silly. They're both amazing and complement each other in such a perfect way, that it's not only futile to try and say one is better than the other, it's just wrong, haha. They're both fantastic. And can I just mention that California Adventure is probably now my favorite Disney park- period. If you for some reason are only going to Disneyworld because you think Disneyland would pale in comparison. Stop. You have to go, and you will be so happy you did.

Porkybabe101

Typical disclaimer here. These comparisons in attractions are strictly just my opinion. And I haven't actually done any fact checking here. So If I get something wrong, sorry. please forgive me.

Big Thunder Mountain- Disneyland has this one, without a doubt. The ride feels longer. The effects are way better. The TNT tunnel is so incredible in Disneyland. The track layout feels like it's filled with more thrills. The Queue isn't as good in the Anaheim one, but this is sort of a common trend between the two parks.

Haunted Mansion- This has gotta be a tie. Disneyland is missing the staircase room. But has a couple of really spooky effective ghosts that are absent in Orlando. And I do love the loading area in Disneyland more. The paintings that change in the lightning effect that is usually on ride in Orlando is in the loading area in Anaheim. Really cool to be able to take your time to look at.

Space Mountain- For me, I prefer a smoother ride. So this might just come down to opinion. But to me, Disneyland has Disneyworld beat in every aspect. The track feels way longer. It feels way faster. The ride vehicles are more comfortable, can seat two people in a seat, have speakers built into the vehicles themselves. I feel like the effects are way better in Disneyland. Even the Queue is better in Anaheim to me.

Splash Mountain- The ride feels very similar to me. But I heavily prefer the logs in the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland are one seaters, and there's no sort of buckle or lap belt. Not very comfortable to me.

Pirates of the Caribbean- Disneylands got this one. It's longer, has entire sections that are completely absent in Orlando's. It was fantastic, I was so amazed.

If anyone can think of anything else you'd like my opinion or comparison on, I'd happily talk all day about it. But in an effort to not turn this into a wall of text or become redundant, I'll just wrap up.

Each destination has their plusses and minuses. And I will say that the "which one is better" is so silly. They're both amazing and complement each other in such a perfect way, that it's not only futile to try and say one is better than the other, it's just wrong, haha. They're both fantastic. And can I just mention that California Adventure is probably now my favorite Disney park- period. If you for some reason are only going to Disneyworld because you think Disneyland would pale in comparison. Stop. You have to go, and you will be so happy you did.
*cheers* Great report/ comparison! I can't wait to see Disneyland with my own eyes next week!

Californian Elitist

Nice write-up, thank you for sharing. I can't believe you're going back again so soon. Just a reminder, Mansion and Space are different during Halloween, Mansion being the most dramatically different.

I agree in regards to the lack of seat belts/lap bars in Splash. Just doesn't seem right to not have some sort of safety restraint. It's the main reason I'm not eager to ride it again (I've only been on once).

Kramerica

Original Poster
Nice write-up, thank you for sharing. I can't believe you're going back again so soon. Just a reminder, Mansion and Space are different during Halloween, Mansion being the most dramatically different.

I agree in regards to the lack of seat belts/lap bars in Splash. Just doesn't seem right to not have some sort of safety restraint. It's the main reason I'm not eager to ride it again (I've only been on once).

Well. I always seem to come up with crazy ideas that I relentlessly pursue. And the most recent was to get a premier pass and then fly down once every month or two to Disneyland. So. That's what I'm doing. Flying there is so cheap that it's essentially just paying for hotel at this point.

Right? I know it's perfectly safe. But I would like to have something to hold onto atleast.

Californian Elitist

Well. I always seem to come up with crazy ideas that I relentlessly pursue. And the most recent was to get a premier pass and then fly down once every month or two to Disneyland. So. That's what I'm doing. Flying there is so cheap that it's essentially just paying for hotel at this point.

Right? I know it's perfectly safe. But I would like to have something to hold onto atleast.

I was just going to say you should consider getting an AP.

I don't feel safe on Splash because I have nothing to hold onto, and there are no restraints. It's scary (not as terrifying as Mickey's "Wheel of Terror"). I can get on Jurassic Park at Universal without a problem, and the drop is longer. Splash...nope.

SpaceMountain75

Okay all, sorry about taking so long. Let's get back into it.

Disney world has Disneyland beat in the "Wow!" factor when compared to Disneyland. This isn't a bad thing for Disneyland. But you can just tell that, atlas when comparing the Magic Kingdom to Disneyland, the Disney company really took advantage of the space and the money that they had on hand when they built the Magic Kingdom. The castle is bigger. The whole park is, atleast simulated, to be on it's own island. The shops are bigger. Queues are sprawling and grand instead of compact and efficient. And that's only when talking about that specific park. The whole size of the Disney property in Disneyworld is staggering, and to be anything but amazed when you think about the sheer amount of work that is put into the grounds would be an inappropriate response. You drive on the highways through Disneyworld, seeing traffic signs with Mickey ears behind them. You see Disney busses everywhere you look. Spotlights shine in the sky. The whole Disney property in Disneyworld feels like a living breathing thing. And when you're there, you have no concept or connection to the outside world. And I love that. Disneyland in the other hand. It's a small hotbed of activity contained within the grounds, surrounded by urban sprawl in every direction. But quant isn't bad! As I mentioned before, this way the grounds can be perfectly maintained. Everything is within walking distance. It's not uncommon to see the same guests multiple times throughout your vacation (This happens at the world, too. But much more common in Anaheim)

The most obvious thing to me though. Disneyland is Walt's park. You can feel that he walked main street. He had input on it. And Disneyland, while isn't afraid to innovate and add, I feel like they refuse to lose the charm that Walt personally injected into this place. I dare you to walk down main street and not get chills. Or look at Walt's apartment above the fire department and not get choked up. Magical. Only word for it.

The cast members are very good at both as you'd expect. There's no real discernible difference in service to me. If anything, you see that Disneyland is filled by locals that are working there because they live there. Disney world on the other hand. Since it's an isolated area, you have the kids who uprooted their lives do go and do the college program. Some people seem to dislike the college program kid's level of service. I like it though. They might not be as knowledgable as the older cast members, but they all seem to eager and happy just to be living out their dream of moving to Disneyworld. But, if you're happy with the service in Disneyworld, you will be in Disneyland and vis versa.

One thing I noticed a lot more of is atmospheric elements that exist in Disneyland that isn't there in Disneyworld. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen the horse and buggy trotting down the streets of the Magic Kingdom. But it's almost always out and around in Disneyland. Or the double decker bus. Or the red trolleys in California Adventure. Which are fantastic, and you have to ride them if you're there! The gas lamps in Disneyland that aren't there in the world. The Disneyland band. All of these little things are just so amazing and totally absorb you in the experience.

Maybe it will be helpful and more tangible to directly compare different attractions and elements of the two, which I'll do on my next reply.

Great report! You came to the same conclusion I did, which is that both resorts are awesome in their own unique ways.

SpaceMountain75

I was just going to say you should consider getting an AP.

I don't feel safe on Splash because I have nothing to hold onto, and there are no restraints. It's scary (not as terrifying as Mickey's "Wheel of Terror"). I can get on Jurassic Park at Universal without a problem, and the drop is longer. Splash...nope.
I feel like Splash at DL is all-around inferior to WDW's. From the show scenes, to the way the boat jerks you when you hit a curve, it's just a bit of a letdown after seeing MK's. And I'm so glad you mentioned the no safety bar thing! Every time I go down the hill I feel like I'm going to fly out into Rivers of America, haha!

Vegas Disney Fan

Each destination has their plusses and minuses. And I will say that the "which one is better" is so silly. They're both amazing and complement each other in such a perfect way, that it's not only futile to try and say one is better than the other, it's just wrong, haha. They're both fantastic.
Couldn't agree more!

Even with all their similarities it's an apples to oranges comparison. As far as theme parks go I give DL and DCA the edge but a vacation at WDW is about so much more than theme parks, between the resorts, the restaurants and its sheer size it's a complete escape from reality. I could list dozens of pros and cons for both but ultimately I'm just glad I'm able to visit them both because they each have a ton of pros you just can't find at the other.

BostonJP

Great information here! I would certainly not call myself a WDW veteran but I have been twice in the last few years, and this September will be at Disneyland for the first time in about 25 years. I was 10 years old and only vaguely remember the park.

I've done some research and it's interesting to see you refer to Disneyland as "compact and efficient" as I get the same impression, given the number of rides there vs. any of the Florida parks.

westie

And our PotC has 2 drops. Count 'em, two! lol, great write up! Sad that we do lose a day in travel getting to WDW. The whole east coast time warp always throws me for a loop. Especially around midnight and I'm still feeling 9 o'clock. that's why I miss Pleasure Island so much.

Figments Friend

Regarding DL*s *Splash Mountain * -
I actually prefer it somewhat to WDW*s, which i know very well.
DL*s *Splash * is the Original, and has a lot of quirky charm about it because of that.
There are some rough edges showing, but it just shows you where it*s roots came from.
It*s a quicker ride through the Show scenes, which for a AA fan like me is not a plus, but that is what WDW*s version is better for - the overall Show.
Love the quality of the Show scenes in WDW*s version.

DL*s however has the far more exciting drop...and the general perception of being much speedier due to the single-row logs.
I really like that *narrow* sensation they create, and the big plunge near the end is all the more thrilling knowing you are not *strapped in*like at WDW which detracts from the experience.
I will always remember my first time riding DL*s version after being overly familiar with WDW*s experience.
WOWee....did it seem much faster.
It actually kind of freaked me out, and i did*nt ride again for a few years.
I would skip it because of the general nervousness about the final drop, despite loving the Attraction as a whole.
A couple of years ago i was finally cured at Disneyland though.
Now i love it !

So DL*s version has a much quicker pace, has a (perceived) faster final plunge, and weaker Show elements.
I prefer the musical soundtrack in DL*s version, too, and love how right before the plunge as you teeter at the peak of Mountain you here Brer Fox comment about throwing you into the Briar Patch. *In Ya Go !! *. Love it.
WDW*s does not have that.

WDW*s version however has the much better Show experience, is slower paced so you can enjoy those marvelous scenes, and has a less intense final plunge.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain75

Regarding DL*s *Splash Mountain * -
I actually prefer it somewhat to WDW*s, which i know very well.
DL*s *Splash * is the Original, and has a lot of quirky charm about it because of that.
There are some rough edges showing, but it just shows you where it*s roots came from.
It*s a quicker ride through the Show scenes, which for a AA fan like me is not a plus, but that is what WDW*s version is better for - the overall Show.
Love the quality of the Show scenes in WDW*s version.

DL*s however has the far more exciting drop...and the general perception of being much speedier due to the single-row logs.
I really like that *narrow* sensation they create, and the big plunge near the end is all the more thrilling knowing you are not *strapped in*like at WDW which detracts from the experience.
I will always remember my first time riding DL*s version after being overly familiar with WDW*s experience.
WOWee....did it seem much faster.
It actually kind of freaked me out, and i did*nt ride again for a few years.
I would skip it because of the general nervousness about the final drop, despite loving the Attraction as a whole.
A couple of years ago i was finally cured at Disneyland though.
Now i love it !

So DL*s version has a much quicker pace, has a (perceived) faster final plunge, and weaker Show elements.
I prefer the musical soundtrack in DL*s version, too, and love how right before the plunge as you teeter at the peak of Mountain you here Brer Fox comment about throwing you into the Briar Patch. *In Ya Go !! *. Love it.
WDW*s does not have that.

WDW*s version however has the much better Show experience, is slower paced so you can enjoy those marvelous scenes, and has a less intense final plunge.
Good points about DL's version. I do love that final drop, even if it seems like I'll be launched right out of the boat! It's funny you say that about liking DL's soundtrack better, because I'm the complete opposite. WDW's has so much twang and groove in it, I can't help but jam out like a total dork drifting past the birdhouses.

Cosmic Commando

After riding the DL Splash, I was honestly surprised that it ever got cloned around the world. The animatronics don't look like the animated characters, because they're reused from America Sings. I didn't like the extra speed at DL; it felt like you were going too fast to take in the dark ride scenes. There's also the weird mushrooms?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom