Just back from 10 nights at the Hard Rock....

squidward

Original Poster
And you know what, we were less ready to come back than when we spend just as much time at Disney. I love both, I really do. But honestly, this was one of the best vacations ever. No waiting around for buses. No standing in ridiculous long lines. Just walking right into whatever restaurant we wanted to without reservations. And enjoying 2 superb, COMPLETE parks, as opposed to just 1 overly crowded park and 3, at the moment, half-you know whatted parks. It was just so relaxing. Spend a few hours in the park, take a 5 minute stroll back to the hotel, go swimming, take a nap, head to City Walk for dinner, then back to the parks in the evening.

I'll post a bit more later on.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Good to hear. Quick Question. My wife and I are thinking about sqeezing in a day at one of the Universal Parks. Which would you recommend we spend the day at? Can you honestly do both in a day or is that too aggressive?

Thanks!

Flippin'Flounder

Good to hear. Quick Question. My wife and I are thinking about sqeezing in a day at one of the Universal Parks. Which would you recommend we spend the day at? Can you honestly do both in a day or is that too aggressive?

Thanks!
If you don't want to rush, a day at IoA is the best way to go.

squidward

Original Poster

Thanks!

If you have Express, it CAN be done. I don't recommend it, as you're bound to miss many of the details. Islands is better if you like thrill rides. Universal, in my opinion, is the better overall park, theme wise. Diagon Alley is amazing. Springfield is an absolute riot. It really is everything that Disney's Hollywood Studios should be.

TalkingHead

No waiting around for buses. No standing in ridiculous long lines. Just walking right into whatever restaurant we wanted to without reservations. And enjoying 2 superb, COMPLETE parks, as opposed to just 1 overly crowded park and 3, at the moment, half-you know whatted parks. It was just so relaxing. Spend a few hours in the park, take a 5 minute stroll back to the hotel, go swimming, take a nap, head to City Walk for dinner, then back to the parks in the evening.

I loved the water taxi transportation. Everyone has a seat; there's no standing allowed. So it's basically like a relaxing form of transportation, even at night when people are headed back to their hotels.

squidward

Original Poster
One of the reasons I like the Wilderness Lodge at WDW. Rumor has it WL is being turned into a DVC so I guess that will be gone soon enough.

I'm fine with boat rides for transportation. I find it relaxing. Especially like night boat rides.

Part of WL has been DVC for years. They're just adding more units down by the beach area.

squidward

Original Poster
Yes but it's a separate building. From what I heard actual rooms in WL are being changed over to DVC I think it's an entire wing.

No, the new DVC units are going to be separate units along the beach, sort of like the new Poly Bungalows, but not in the water.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Thanks for the recommendations!

I wish we could do more than a day but sometimes you just can't make it happen. I guess its really a decision of whether or not we want to rush through the 2 parks or really enjoy every detail at one park.

JediMasterMatt

But honestly, this was one of the best vacations ever. No waiting around for buses. No standing in ridiculous long lines. Just walking right into whatever restaurant we wanted to without reservations. And enjoying 2 superb, COMPLETE parks, as opposed to just 1 overly crowded park and 3, at the moment, half-you know whatted parks. It was just so relaxing. Spend a few hours in the park, take a 5 minute stroll back to the hotel, go swimming, take a nap, head to Downtown Disney for dinner, then back to the parks in the evening.

Universal is a refreshing change from what WDW has become... but, I made one small change to the quoted text above as you can say the exact same things about visiting DLR instead of WDW. Instead of potentially burning your family out on Universal, maybe rekindle that Disney Parks love with a trip to Anaheim. There is no better time than now during the 60th anniversary to experience the place. Everything you liked about UO can be had out west these days.

*the only exception to the above is no Unlimited Express Pass out west.

Jeffxz

Thanks!

IOA has 3 water rides, so if you are not into getting wet, I'd suggest US instead.

Both can be done, especially with express if you plan to go open to close and skip most shows.

danpam1024

And you know what, we were less ready to come back than when we spend just as much time at Disney. I love both, I really do. But honestly, this was one of the best vacations ever. No waiting around for buses. No standing in ridiculous long lines. Just walking right into whatever restaurant we wanted to without reservations. And enjoying 2 superb, COMPLETE parks, as opposed to just 1 overly crowded park and 3, at the moment, half-you know whatted parks. It was just so relaxing. Spend a few hours in the park, take a 5 minute stroll back to the hotel, go swimming, take a nap, head to City Walk for dinner, then back to the parks in the evening.

I don't understand? You don't want to go back?
the longest we've stayed was 9 nights in a kidsuite- LOVED every relaxing minute of it. 72 days and we'll be there.

fosse76

IOA has 3 water rides, so if you are not into getting wet, I'd suggest US instead.

Both can be done, especially with express if you plan to go open to close and skip most shows.
I mostly agree, but it depends when you go and what planning you want to do. Express Pass will make it a lot easier to get through both parks in a day. The scattered showtimes throughout Universal Studios might make ita challenge, but you can still hit a lot of what both parks have to offer, so long as its not insanely crowded where even the Express queues are 30 minutes.

Mukta

Which restaurants did you try and enjoy?

squidward

Original Poster
Which restaurants did you try and enjoy?

Bubba Gump (2) - Loved it.
Hard Rock (2) - Eh, whatever.
Red Oven Pizza (4) - Loved it.
The Palm (2) - Loved it.
Mythos - OK. Menu has gone downhill a bit.
Antojitos - Nasty. Never again.
Mama Dellas - Very good.
The Kitchen (4) - Very good breakfast buffet.
Springfield Fast Food (2) - Great atmosphere. Very basic, unhealthy food.
Thunder Falls Terrace - Decent for quick service.
Louies - Pizza is OK, but Universal should be embarrassed at the prices.
Margaritaville - Underwhelming. Plus, not a fan of Jimmy Buffet.

Couple of other fast food joints throughout the parks.

Mukta

Thank you. I always end up eating at the same couple of places, so it is nice to see reviews on other places.

Bairstow

Bubba Gump (2) - Loved it.
Hard Rock (2) - Eh, whatever.
Red Oven Pizza (4) - Loved it.
The Palm (2) - Loved it.
Mythos - OK. Menu has gone downhill a bit.
Antojitos - Nasty. Never again.
Mama Dellas - Very good.
The Kitchen (4) - Very good breakfast buffet.
Springfield Fast Food (2) - Great atmosphere. Very basic, unhealthy food.
Thunder Falls Terrace - Decent for quick service.
Louies - Pizza is OK, but Universal should be embarrassed at the prices.
Margaritaville - Underwhelming. Plus, not a fan of Jimmy Buffet.

Couple of other fast food joints throughout the parks.

You didn't try Bob Marley: A Tribute to Freedom?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom