DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

RSoxNo1

My hope for D23 is that they announce a long-needed update for DHS--the removal of the unnecessary and inappropriate apostrophe in "50's Prime Time Cafe". Or they keep the apostrophe and it is owned and operated by 50 Cent. He has nothing better to do...
What is grammatically correct when identifying a decade? I've seen it both ways.

ToTBellHop

What is grammatically correct when identifying a decade? I've seen it both ways.
1950s. 1950's means the year 1950 owns something. For example, if my last name is Smith, we are the Smiths. All of the people with the last name Smith like 1950s refers to all years 1950-1959. If my last name is Smith and I own a restaurant, it could be called Smith's Diner because it's mine.

When Pop Century first opened, they used apostrophes in the lobby. I emailed them on this issue, and by my next visit, it was fixed. No, I'm not taking credit for the change. I'm sure others corrected Disney, too. But it was fixed. Not sure why "50's" stays the same. If anything, it should be '50s Prime Time Cafe with the apostrophe for the missing 19.
image.jpg

Fox&Hound

Kids on the interwebs are all excited because they are convinced that iger confirmed a frozen land for dhs on some weekly d23 podcast. *sigh*

It would be funny if it turned out to be true. Maybe the Maelstrom rumor was a complete lie and they are just refurbing it or replacing it with something else. Disney wanted to throw everyone off track and they will announce at D23 that DHS is getting Star Wars, Pixar, and a Frozen land: major E-ticket, shopping, dining, and a few smaller rides. I mean, my mind would explode......

Disclaimer: I'm not holding my breath. I understand that this is not true.

Slowjack

1950s. 1950's means the year 1950 owns something.
You are, of course, correct in general about the apostrophe--writing "men's ties were wider in the the 1970's" is just wrong. But to be fair, it's possible that the apostrophe is actually possessive in this case...the Prime Time Cafe belonging in the 1950s, as one would say "chinese restaurant" and not "china restaurant." I realize I may be putting more thought into this that they did when they named it...

JoeRohdesEarring

You are, of course, correct in general about the apostrophe--writing "men's ties were wider in the the 1970's" is just wrong. But to be fair, it's possible that the apostrophe is actually possessive in this case...the Prime Time Cafe belonging in the 1950s, as one would say "chinese restaurant" and not "china restaurant." I realize I may be putting more thought into this that they did when they named it...

If we want to get all pedantic up in here: if it is indeed the "Prime Time Café" belonging to the 50s (therein personifying the decade), it would be spelled '50s' Prime Time Café since the apostrophe that denotes ownership would come after the plural noun, as the noun ends with an s already. The apostrophe before 50 would be taking the place of the eliminated numbers "19".

Class dismissed, don't forget your homework: a 1000-word essay on the worst smelling monorail cabin you have ever been inside.

sedati

Oh i know. I enjoy watching them get all mean about it whenever anybody says they are wrong
Foolish them for not bowing to your superiority without putting up a fight.
Where is this other "mean" forum. I can't imagine one more snobbish and judgemental than this one.

Sam Magic

So where is this kids forum? I need a good laugh and I just finished list inning to the Dis-Unplugged rumors episode so I really need a good laugh.

ToTBellHop

If we want to get all pedantic up in here: if it is indeed the "Prime Time Café" belonging to the 50s (therein personifying the decade), it would be spelled '50s' Prime Time Café since the apostrophe that denotes ownership would come after the plural noun, as the noun ends with an s already. The apostrophe before 50 would be taking the place of the eliminated numbers "19".

Class dismissed, don't forget your homework: a 1000-word essay on the worst smelling monorail cabin you have ever been inside.
Exactly. Looks like by the time they proofread it, though, aliens will be moving in anyway (or maybe not, in which case removal of an apostrophe should cost no where near $2.8bn).

I know proper use of apostrophes in decade names is a common era. It just always surprised me that WDI with its crazy (necessary in all cases?) research trips wouldn't have a former English teacher on staff to proofread.

Captain Neo

Call me when you find one that is more accurate than this one.

Yes, we're Snobby. Arrogant. Elitist. Judgemental. Alas.... we're also accurate.

WDW1974 is the one with the consistent & proven track records and he has posted on many forums from laughing place to Miceage. Marni and Lee are Jim Hill tier insiders.

kdzgon

I really hope that if OMD closes, Disney repurposes it into some other kind of exhibit somewhere. I have a hokey but genuine fondness for that attraction, and seeing all the artifacts from Walt's career. Plus I really enjoy the film.
My grandson has been obsessed with OMD since the age of six..as he's now twelve and we are there about once a month or so that means I've been dragged in there many, many times! I think it is fascinating, just for me, not for that many visits. While I would be happy to not have to visit for an extended period of time I will miss it if it is shuttered rather than relocated (in some form at least). I also think it deserves a place at WDW.

NowInc

Foolish them for not bowing to your superiority without putting up a fight.
Where is this other "mean" forum. I can't imagine one more snobbish and judgemental than this one.

In risk of "feeding the trolls", I think you may have misperceived my message. In no way do I ask anyone to "bow down" to anything..in fact its THEM who are the ones getting all high and mighty over information that is completely false (there was no magical podcast that revealed anything). I was simply saying I enjoy seeing them get upset when anyone challenges their "news".

It isn't a forum, btw. The latest "go to" for people to spread anything has been social media...usually instagram comments. Someone posts a picture and inevitably before too long someone who "knows someone who is an imagineer" has "inside info".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom